A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Author Topic: The Beatles cheated all of us  (Read 470 times)

Loco Mo

• A Beginning
The Beatles cheated all of us
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:54:35 AM »

They had all this insane talent and all we got out of them was pop music.  Then, they split up and, other than Paul, they didn't seem to give a crap about being serious about music.  I can only wonder what we missed out on because of all the talent that basically went to waste.  What if John really put his heart and mind into music the way his son Sean has?  I mean Sean seems to be a very serious musician who studied it formally and experimented intellectually with it.  John was a composer but Paul gets more credit just because he really was more into music and immersed in it.  We'll never know what John could have done but he had composed some great stuff no matter how over-talented you think Paul was by comparison.

I think sometimes of the music we never heard and what the world missed out on because of the real human side of the Beatles which ultimately stopped the music from flowing.  I think there's wonderful unheard uncomposed music that lies buried forever in the part of the universe of unrealized potentialities in which things could have happened but never did.  Some things find their way into reality and manifest but then there are those that never do.

The Unrealized Beatles:  How I wish I could hear some of that.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
Re: The Beatles cheated all of us
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 03:56:21 AM »

Each of The Beatles did put their hearts and minds into their music when they went their separate ways.  Some more than others but they all did so. 

Yes, it's something to wonder about if they stayed together as a band.  But it didn't turn out that way.  Instead we have an ageless portrait of The Beatles, a band that defined the 60s.  I'm happy with that legacy.
I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:01:06 AM »

You're right, Hello Goodbye.  I guess I'm in a crappy mood tonight with an all day headache I'm trying to cope with.  Thanks for the attitude adjusting perspective.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 04:05:49 AM »

And thank-you for thought-provoking topics, Loco Mo.
I can stay till it's time to go

Loco Mo

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »

Yer welcome, Goodbye!  I don't think I'd think of half of these ideas if I weren't Loco.  If I weren't Loco, I can't imagine what I'd think of - maybe nothing at all.  Maybe I'd be like a lamp in a room with no people in it - shining but not illuminating anything for anyone.  Oh well, that wouldn't be so bad now, would it?  There's lots of falling trees in the world which no one hears fall.  Actually, this statement is completely wrong.  Wildlife and insects hear that I'm sure.  So, it's really not a great philosophical mystery, is it?  And if here is an omnipresent Creator, well, it probably hears not only that but also listens to Beatles music -- but if it created the Beatles, it is in a sense, the Beatles itself, isn't it?

The Beatles are God, aren't they?

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 07:32:54 AM »

Ultimately, the greatest thing the Beatles did was break up at their peak. It left the legacy untarnished and actually added to their mystique

Loco Mo

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »

I agree with you on this point, Stevie.  It's like we have the legacy of an Unblemished Beatles rather than a Tarnished Beatles had they continued on.  I've actually often wondered about this.  I recall that John Lennon once said that the Beatles were expected to top themselves with every record.  This clearly wasn't happening after Pepper (imho).  They really weren't the Beatles any more because they were manifesting more as independent individuals who often were not cohesive together and who did not tend to agree.  I really think Pepper was code for "dead Beatles" as evidenced by the funereal quality of the back cover.  Nonetheless, there are those who would have praised them no matter what they did.

In a sense, the Paul is dead phenomenon signaled their impending demise.  It must be realized that without him the Beatles were also dead.

real01

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »

I recall that John Lennon once said that the Beatles were expected to top themselves with every record.  This clearly wasn't happening after Pepper (imho). 
George Martin said that that the guys never recycled and never repeated themselves.
Even with the early songs - although all of them were love songs - they tried to do things differently. As Paul said, She Loves You was written in a form of addressing to someone,
P. S. I Love You is in a form of love letter etc.

Not only that they wanted to top themselves with every record - John & Paul were constantly competing with each other.
Paul was making Penny Lane - John's response was Strawberry Fields. Both song are about their childhood memories - but with a totally different approach, music & lyrics.
The two of them made 'A Day In The Life', which is considered as one of their best.

'Rubber Soul' is different than 'Revolver', 'Sgt. Pepper' is different than 'Magical Mystery Tour'.
'The White Album' has 30 songs (and anyone can pick 20 of them which he likes the best and put it on one CD to enjoy.)

Isn't the 'Abbey Road' another peak, one of the best albums, with that wonderful B-side medley, and gems like Something, Octopus's Garden, Here Comes The Sun, The End,
Golden Slumbers, Come Together...?

But it wasn't the end, 'Let It Be' was their final released album - and again, they had the concept to make a 'live' album, returning to their roots.
(Eventually, it came out as 'half live' with song like Get Back, One After 909 and the orchestrated ones, which I like better - Across The Universe & The Long And Winding Road.)

I disagree that the band wasn't making great music after 'Sgt. Pepper.'

And what about magnificent single Hey Jude (1968.), John's Don't Let Me Down and super-crazy You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)? 8)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:48:56 PM by real01 »

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 27 queries.