A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Donald Trump  (Read 8117 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Donald Trump
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:35 PM »

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:08 AM »

House votes to end rule that prevents people with mental illness from buying guns

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/house-votes-to-scrap-obama-rule-on-background-checks-for-gun-ownership-a7560421.html

Yeah, this is a bad one.  Unconstitutional or not, those people should not be allowed to own a firearm.

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #403 on: February 04, 2017, 01:47:33 AM »

I am soooo tired of depression and other mental health issues being stigmatized like this. Newsflash: Every person who has ever struggled with panic attacks, depression, or obsessive-compulsive behaviors is NOT a lunatic on the edge of opening fire on an unsuspecting crowd. I have struggled with depression for years and would never dream of harming another person. It's a biological condition no different than the hypothyroidism and Vitamin D deficiency with which I was just diagnosed. Perhaps people with diabetes and underactive thyroids should be stripped of their Second Amendment rights as well.

The American mental health care system SUCKS, big time. I can't speak for any other countries. As someone who has needed help and sought it I resent being pigeonholed into the "loony" category.

I do understand that some mass shooters have been actively psychotic. But to globally categorize everyone in this way is extremely offensive. It is no wonder that most people in America pay for mental health services out of pocket in an attempt to keep their health record clear. People are suffering across this nation, and it is stereotypes like this that keep them silent and ashamed.

I didn't mean to jump on you, Todd, or you either, Kevin. You both seem like very nice people, and I like and respect you. I just get very steamed about the stigma of mental health, depression in particular, having been subject to it myself.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #404 on: February 04, 2017, 04:01:07 AM »

I am soooo tired of depression and other mental health issues being stigmatized like this. Newsflash: Every person who has ever struggled with panic attacks, depression, or obsessive-compulsive behaviors is NOT a lunatic on the edge of opening fire on an unsuspecting crowd. I have struggled with depression for years and would never dream of harming another person. It's a biological condition no different than the hypothyroidism and Vitamin D deficiency with which I was just diagnosed. Perhaps people with diabetes and underactive thyroids should be stripped of their Second Amendment rights as well.

The American mental health care system SUCKS, big time. I can't speak for any other countries. As someone who has needed help and sought it I resent being pigeonholed into the "loony" category.

I do understand that some mass shooters have been actively psychotic. But to globally categorize everyone in this way is extremely offensive. It is no wonder that most people in America pay for mental health services out of pocket in an attempt to keep their health record clear. People are suffering across this nation, and it is stereotypes like this that keep them silent and ashamed.

I didn't mean to jump on you, Todd, or you either, Kevin. You both seem like very nice people, and I like and respect you. I just get very steamed about the stigma of mental health, depression in particular, having been subject to it myself.

Kathleen, I agree with your point of view, but allow me to explain myself a little more clearly on this subject.  First and foremost, I am a gun advocate so I'm speaking from that side of the coin.  Anyways, upon reading up on Trumps lift of this firearm ban, I found that a lot of the people associated with it were not just those struggling with depression and compulsive behaviors, but ones that have been tested in ways that they were deemed unable to complete simple one sided tasks like counting money, handling their own checkbooks, following simple instructions and so forth.  Menial tasks.  A lot of the people receiving Social Security assistance under those guidelines are more than just depressed and suffering from things like mood swings and so forth.  Many are mentally disabled.  Realize that 2/3's of all cases for SS assistance are turned down and then we have a measuring stick on what we are dealing with here.  I still haven't gotten all the facts, but I hope there are some contingencies being laid down that we don't know about yet. 

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #405 on: February 04, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »

Kathleen, I agree with your point of view, but allow me to explain myself a little more clearly on this subject. 

Thank you for clarifying that, Todd; that makes more sense. I didn't mean to fly off the handle on this topic, but I do get very frustrated by the way the American news media, and the general public (probably the latter more than the former), seem to stigmatize mental health issues. In my opinion this makes people less likely to seek help and thus more likely to have their condition get out of control and then -- tragedy.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:10:37 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »

I think this article in the well regarded UK newspaper......The Independent.....was alluding to more severe cases Kathy.

The rule affected nearly 75,000 Social Security recipients diagnosed with mental health conditions, such as extreme anxiety and schizophrenia, and are considered incapable of managing their own affairs.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #407 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »

He wasn't as good as Bernie Sanders would've been, but he did a really good job.

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #408 on: February 04, 2017, 11:25:31 PM »

I think this article in the well regarded UK newspaper......The Independent.....was alluding to more severe cases Kathy.

The rule affected nearly 75,000 Social Security recipients diagnosed with mental health conditions, such as extreme anxiety and schizophrenia, and are considered incapable of managing their own affairs.

I see your point. And if a person is impaired to the point that he or she cannot complete basic tasks such as counting money, then I guess that person should not be permitted to carry a gun.

The whole gun control/mental health issue is so confusing.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that I thought you or Todd were stereotyping people with mental health issues. I was speaking more generally about the American public at large.

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #409 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Page created in 0.676 seconds with 27 queries.