Beatles forums > Beatle Playtime: Games and Trivia

Song vs. Same name song

<< < (28/32) > >>

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: In My Life on June 27, 2013, 12:02:01 AM ---I've never heard either before but I was expecting to pick the Spoonful because, well, I just love John Sebastian but Ringo's song is very sweet and I do like it better so I'll pick that. ;) And I see what you mean about Spirit's song. Another new one to me. That's what I like about this forum; I've learned a lot here!

On with the game....

Two against one: Frank and Count vs Neil


I Believe In You (Frank Sinatra - with Lyrics)

Neil Young - I Believe In You - Original (Remastered)

--- End quote ---


Hi Kelley, I was missing this game! That Ringo's song was written by Paul McCartney, if I'm not wrong.

Nice tune that from Sinatra & Basie, but I'm a rocker, you know, so Young wins.

Now, Thomas Jefferson waits the airplane... No, I mean, Tom Waits vs. Jefferson Airplane!

Tom Waits - Martha

Jefferson Airplane - Martha

In My Life:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on July 08, 2013, 04:45:25 PM ---
Now, Thomas Jefferson waits the airplane... No, I mean, Tom Waits vs. Jefferson Airplane!

Tom Waits - Martha

Jefferson Airplane - Martha

--- End quote ---


LOL Looks like you were channeling John Lennon there! I don't know much about Tom Waits so I Googled while I listened and read this:

Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car." Be that as it may, I like his poignant song, but I like Jefferson Airplane's better. I just plain like Jefferson Airplane! I was surprised to see that this Strawberry Fields-like video aired on a Perry Como special. I don't remember seeing cool stuff like that when my dad made us watch them! (He worked for a company that was one of Perry Como's sponsors.)

Now I almost embarrassed myself by repeating one you already did but I decided that changing Buddy Holly to The Beatles made it okay:

Words of love you whisper soft and true vs Words of love so soft and tender:

The Beatles
The Beatles - Words of Love [HD]

Mamas and the Papas
The Mama's And Papa's Words Of Love
 

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: In My Life on July 22, 2013, 05:56:20 AM ---LOL Looks like you were channeling John Lennon there! I don't know much about Tom Waits so I Googled while I listened and read this:

Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding "like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car." Be that as it may, I like his poignant song, but I like Jefferson Airplane's better. I just plain like Jefferson Airplane! I was surprised to see that this Strawberry Fields-like video aired on a Perry Como special. I don't remember seeing cool stuff like that when my dad made us watch them! (He worked for a company that was one of Perry Como's sponsors.)

Now I almost embarrassed myself by repeating one you already did but I decided that changing Buddy Holly to The Beatles made it okay:

Words of love you whisper soft and true vs Words of love so soft and tender:

The Beatles
The Beatles - Words of Love [HD]

Mamas and the Papas
The Mama's And Papa's Words Of Love
 

--- End quote ---


I don't know much about Tom Waits either, but I had recently listened to that nice tune that is named like one of my favorite Jefferson Airplane songs, so I used it for the game. By the way, very good comparison that you made with the video of "Strawberry Fields Forever".

"Words Of Love" is one of my favorite Beatles covers, so it wins. But I've always enjoyed that song by the Mamas & the Papas.

What would you prefer to find in the middle of a desert? Zombies or Oasis?

Don't Go Away - The Zombies

Oasis - Don't Go Away

In My Life:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on July 24, 2013, 06:53:29 PM ---I don't know much about Tom Waits either, but I had recently listened to that nice tune that is named like one of my favorite Jefferson Airplane songs, so I used it for the game.

--- End quote ---

I don't have a song yet but I just wanted to mention that I listened to "After Bathing at Baxter's" for the first time yesterday and was pleased to discover that it includes "Martha". It is a great song!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: In My Life on July 25, 2013, 04:33:35 AM ---I don't have a song yet but I just wanted to mention that I listened to "After Bathing at Baxter's" for the first time yesterday and was pleased to discover that it includes "Martha". It is a great song!

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is! I've always thought that "Martha" has an Indian sound, because of the sound of the acoustic guitars and especially the strange electric guitar solo. Also the bizarre flute gives the song a nice touch.

Actually I think that the whole After Bathing At Baxter's album is usually misunderstood, but that's not a surprise because it's the most experimental album of an experimental band like Jefferson Airplane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version