A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Author Topic: Please Please Me album - whats your story ?  (Read 2817 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Please Please Me album - whats your story ?
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »

I had this thought that most people have a story of how they came about buying or even just hearing and album so it'd be interesting to hear everyone's..

When the fab 4 became famous in England I was 9 years old, so too young to be buying records  ;D especially as an LP in england was an expensive proposition then, I was dead lucky though as I had a brother 5 years older than me who was earning money from doing a newspaper round and helping out on a market, all whilst still at school, anyway he bought the first singles they did and played the relentlessly on our big radiogram, a huge piece of furniture that has one big 12" speaker and valve type amplifier......boy did I play those records when my brother was out  ha2ha
Needless to say I became a huge fan of them even at that age and I remember having a plastic Beatles guitar that I used to mime to the early records with, it turns out that buying the first album mustve even been a bridge too far for my brother as all we got was the 4 song EP (like a mini album) so I had to make do with that until a year or two later when my bro finally bought it  ha2ha..........Im sure that was after With The Beatles though!!
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

7 of 13

• Getting Better
Re: Please Please Me album - whats your story ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »

yes. that's a nice, clean story nimrod, i take it you were living in england. i never have heard Please Please Me back to back, side to side, from one end to the other yet, though i do like the cover art. i have heard the album tracks one way or another, in fact some of my favorites are on there, and on some of those tracks johns singing is just magical.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:46:07 PM by 7 of 13 »
day tripper yeah

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

My story is really simple lol I was just bored one day so I decided to look up The Beatles first album and I loved it :D so I went directly to the record store and bought the remastered album ^_^ it's still one of my alltime favorites...that's also how I became a Beatles fan  ;yes
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »

yes. that's a nice, clean story nimrod, i take it you were living in england. i never have heard Please Please Me back to back, side to side, from one end to the other yet, though i do like the cover art. i have heard the album tracks one way or another, in fact some of my favorites are on there, and on some of those tracks johns singing is just magical.

Yes I grew up in Manchester England, since then I have lived in LA, then Brisbane Australia (for 20 years).
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »

Brisbane... I once danced in the rain with a Danish girl there. It was pouring. lol

Please Please Me is in my collection, so I probably bought it one day. Can't remember tho. I knew I already had Introducing The Beatles, which has an almost similar tracklist.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:21:59 AM »

Brisbane... I once danced in the rain with a Danish girl there. It was pouring. lol

I think it was raining the one time I was in Brisbane too.
Nimrod, you must feel right at home there, being from Manchester!
Only joking  ;)

Can't remember when I first bought the PPM album, but it will have been in the late 70s or early 80s. I first got into the Beatles when I was 9 - it was 1976 and EMI were putting out a lot of reissues before their contract expired, so The Beatles were everywhere. I got hooked and started getting albums one by one. Some were really cheap used copies and some I got new, if I had some Christmas money or whatever.
PPM I bought new - probably one of the last of the albums I got, actually. It was the two-box EMI label version and I still have it.
I remember loving the song Anna from the first time I heard it, and I still love it now.
Once I had a copy of every UK album I stopped buying Beatles vinyl for quite a few years, then about 15 years ago I started again, and now have stuff from all over the world. And one of my favourites is a black and gold label version of PPM - one of the first UK copies of the album.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »

Yes I grew up in Manchester England, since then I have lived in LA, then Brisbane Australia (for 20 years).
that's neat. perhaps you must have a compleat insiders view of the music scene, i would imagine.
 ;yes
day tripper yeah

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

I think I was a Beatle fan from the time I was born... well, it feels like it. I don't know how I came upon them, I must have heard them on the radio or something when I was very young. I was 5 when they broke up.

All through my youth, teenage years I loved listening to them. When I was probably 17 or so, I saw Beatlemania! Now, I was really hooked. I would scan the radio dial until I heard a Beatles song (it was much more frequent back then). I finally realized how ridiculous that was so I stopped at a record store and bought '20 Greatest Hits' and 'Live At The Hollywood Bowl' on cassette. My collection continued to build, until I saw the Blue Box for the first time and knew I had to have one. When I brought it home, I started listening... Please Please Me was one of those albums. So I got everything all at once. Financially, it was not the best decision of my life, as I couldn't really afford it, but I just had to have it.

The rest is history. Now I have a huge collection...
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

The first Beatles albums I bought were all in cassette format. I bought Please Please Me the same day I bought Sgt. Pepper's, and I already had Help!, Revolver and Let It Be. I wanted Please Please Me because it had "Twist And Shout", one of the few songs I knew before becoming a Beatles fan. I remember the first time I listened to "Love Me Do", I didn't know which song it was before listening to it, but strangely the same harmonica line came to my mind before the B-side of the cassette started. That was kinda scary, surely I may have heard the song before somewhere, but I had no idea that this song was "Love Me Do". Nice days those, when the Beatles were something new to me.
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

bacon

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

I had only listened to Relvolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, and Abbey Road, all of which were actually owned by my dad. I was intruiged by the complexity and bought Magical Mystery Tour, and was less than impressed. My friend gave me an issue of Life Story magazine about the Beatles and I became interested in what their early pop stuff sounded like. I downloaded Please Please Me, and was shocked by how much energy they could fit into 2-minute pop tunes. I became so hooked I bought the rest of their albums, the American soundtrack albums, and all the bootlegs I could find. and Please Please Me started it all.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »

Yep.  You're hooked alright, bacon.  Join the club.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

I have no idea when I first bought a copy of PPM. I know I have it a couple of times over on CD, but I dont think I ever bought it on vinyl.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

I grew up with the US Capitol albums so I didn't hear it until a little over a year ago. Once I read about the marathon recording session that yielded most of this album I was eager to get ahold of it but I had to make do with borrowing it from the library system. Now I have the mono CD and it's still a real treat to listen to it and picture how it all went that day.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:14:28 AM »

I asked for The Beatles Stereo Box Set for the Christmas of 2010 and that was when I barely knew any Beatle songs (so I guess you may think it's stupid I asked for the box set) because the only way I can get into bands is if I listen to the songs off of albums, like I don't look up songs seperately because I wait until I get the album to listen to them, but I knew I was going to fall in love with them so I wasn't worried. Anyways, I remember when I first listened to Please Please Me, Misery appealed to me the most out of the whole album and it's still my favorite song from that album. I kept on replaying it and by the end of that I ended up knowing almost all of the words. I also remember thinking it was "funny" (I don't know a word to describe it) that three of their songs I knew was on the album, which were I Saw Her Standing There, Love Me Do and Twist And Shout (which ever since I found out it wasn't by the Beatles, I get bothered by the people who think it was written by them ha2ha ). Overall, my top three favorite songs from PPM is Misery, P.S. I Love You and Do You Want To Know A Secret.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:32:14 AM »

I grew up with the US Capitol albums so I didn't hear it until a little over a year ago. Once I read about the marathon recording session that yielded most of this album I was eager to get ahold of it but I had to make do with borrowing it from the library system. Now I have the mono CD and it's still a real treat to listen to it and picture how it all went that day.

Pretty much the same for - me growing up in the U.S. I had no idea the British records were different until the 1987 CDs came out.

The mono Please Please Me is a real treasure.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Page created in 0.935 seconds with 27 queries.