A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 91393 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2011, 04:27:14 AM »

September 4th

1962: The Beatles' first formal recording session at EMI's Abbey Road studios took place. George Martin was unhappy with a previous session on June 6, so he called The Beatles back into the studio to try again. They recorded six songs, including ‘Love Me Do’ and ‘Please Please Me.’ 

1965: The Beatles started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Help', the title of their second film and the group's ninth US No.1.

1968: The Beatles recorded promotional videos for ‘Hey Jude’ and ‘Revolution’ at Twickenham Film Studios. The vocals are recorded live over the pre-recorded instrumental tracks to get round the current British Musicians Union ban on lip-sync performances. For ‘Hey Jude’, The Beatles were accompanied by a 36-piece orchestra and 300 fans and other assorted extras who join in singing the long refrain.

1971: Taken from the album 'Ram', Paul and Linda McCartney went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the US only released 'Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey'. McCartney's first US solo No.1.

1972: John Lennon and Yoko Ono appeared on Jerry Lewis' Muscular Dystrophy Telethon Show on US television.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2011, 04:20:18 AM »

September 5th

1966: John Lennon started work in Germany on his role as Private Gripweed in the film 'How I Won The War'.

1967: Working at Abbey Road studios, London, The Beatles began recording John Lennon’s new song ‘I Am the Walrus’, recording 16 takes of the basic backing track. 
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »

September 5th

1966: John Lennon started work in Germany on his role as Private Gripweed in the film 'How I Won The War'.

John Lennon's final scenes from How I Won the War

John Lennon-How I Won The War Outtakes

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:03:05 AM by Badgirl66 »

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2011, 04:01:15 AM »

September 5th

1968: Working at Abbey Road studio’s in London, The Beatles recoded overdubs onto the new George Harrison song ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’. Eric Clapton added the guitar solo and became the first outside musician to play on a Beatles recording and George recorded his lead vocal. 

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2011, 04:51:58 AM »

1997-Derek Taylor dies at his home in Suffolk, England, of cancer of the esophagus.
He is survived by his wife Joan and their six grown-up children, Timothy, Gerard, Abigail, Vanessa, Dominic and Annabel. Following his death Paul, via his spokesman Geoff Baker, releases this brief statement: "He was a beautiful man. It is time for tears and words may follow later." Respectful obituaries are published in several newspapers.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »

September 7th

1963: The Beatles recorded an appearance on the BBC radio program ‘Saturday Club’, at the Playhouse Theatre in London. They performed ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘Memphis’, ‘Happy Birthday Saturday Club’ (arrangement credited to John Lennon), ‘I'll Get You’, ‘She Loves You’, and ‘Lucille’.

1964: On tour in North America, The Beatles performed two shows at the Forum, Montreal, Quebec, Canada to 21,000 fans. 

1985: Ringo Starr became the first Beatle to become a grandfather when his son Zak and his wife Sarah had a daughter Tatia Jayne.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »

September 8th

1968: The Beatles performed 'Hey Jude' on the UK television show 'Frost On Sunday' in front of an invited audience.

1977: Guitarist Jimmy McCulloch left Wings to help re-form The Small Faces. McCulloch had played with Paul McCartney’s band on the Venus and Mars and Wings At the Speed of Sound albums, as well as on the Wings Over America tour. He died two years later at the age of 26. Drummer Joe English also left Wings at this time, joining Sea Level.

1997: Derek Taylor the publicist for The Beatles died aged 67. Taylor had been responsible for many of the legends surrounding their career and had also worked with The Beach Boys and The Byrds. In 1967 he helped organise the Monterey Pop Festival together with Lou Adler and John Philips. He helped launch the Beatles Anthology trilogy in the 90’s.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »

September 8th

1997: Derek Taylor the publicist for The Beatles died aged 67. Taylor had been responsible for many of the legends surrounding their career and had also worked with The Beach Boys and The Byrds. In 1967 he helped organise the Monterey Pop Festival together with Lou Adler and John Philips. He helped launch the Beatles Anthology trilogy in the 90’s.

THis was a day before look  :-\ ;sorry

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2011, 04:07:57 AM »

1963: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'She Loves You.' 'Please Please Me' was at No.1 on the UK album chart.

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles recorded ‘Helter Skelter’. John Lennon played bass and honked on a saxophone, roadie Mal Evans tried his best at playing trumpet. Paul McCartney recorded his lead vocal and George Harrison ran about the studio holding a flaming ashtray above his head.

2005: Liverpool City Council confirmed it was to demolish Ringo Starr's birthplace because it had "no historical significance." The house in Dingle, was one of 460 properties to be demolished for a regeneration project. The council said Madryn Street had no significance because Ringo had spent only three months of his life there.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #149 on: September 10, 2011, 04:14:20 AM »

1939: Born on this day, Cynthia Lennon first wife of John Lennon, the couple divorced on 8th November 1968.

1963: During a chance meeting between The Rolling Stones at Studio 51 Jazz Club in London with Paul McCartney and John Lennon, the two played the Stones a partly finished song 'I Wanna Be Your Man' which the Stones later record.

I Wanna Be Your Man-The Rolling Stones

1963: The Daily Mirror published a two-page article about The Beatles. Written by Donald Zec, the feature is entitled ‘Four Frenzied Little Lord Fauntleroys Who Are Earning 5,000 Pounds A Week’ Zec, who had attended a Beatles concert in Luton on Sept. 6 and then invited them to his home to complete the interview, referred to The Beatles' haircuts as ‘A stone-age hair style’. The article provided a major boost to their career.

1966: The Beatles started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Revolver', the group's ninth US chart topper.

1968: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hey Jude', the group's 15th UK No.1 and the longest chart topper ever at seven minutes and ten seconds. The single was the first release on the group's Apple records label.

1999: Paul McCartney made headline news after being seen at a New York City party minus one of his front teeth after a crown broke off when he was eating. He'd lost the tooth in a motorcycle accident in 1967. Must have been a very slow news day.

2005: The 1967 Beatles track ‘A Day In The Life’ from Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was voted the best British song of all time by music experts. The survey by Q magazine called the track "the ultimate sonic rendition of what it means to be British". The Kinks' song ‘Waterloo Sunset’ came second in the poll and ‘Wonderwall’ by Oasis was voted in third place.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:53:59 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2011, 03:03:29 AM »

1961: After George Martin insisted that session drummer Andy White take Ringo Starr's place, The Beatles returned to EMI Studios in London for a third attempt at recording their first single. ‘Love Me Do’ was selected to be The Beatles' first A-side, with "P.S. I Love You" on the flip side (a reversal of the original plan). The single that was released on October 5th featured a version of ‘Love Me Do’ with Ringo on drums, but the album ‘Please Please Me’ included a version with Andy White on drums.

1965: The Beatles started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Help!', the group's sixth US chart topper.

1967: Filming began for The Beatles ‘Magical Mystery Tour’. There was no script, nor a very clear idea of exactly what was to be accomplished, not even a clear direction about where the bus was supposed to go. The ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ bus set off for the West Country in England stopping for the night in Teignmouth, Devon where hundreds of fans greeted The Beatles at their hotel.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2011, 02:54:03 AM »

September 12th

1963: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'She Loves You', the group's second No.1. It became the biggest seller of the year and the biggest selling Beatles single in the UK.

1967: Filming continued for The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour. The bus headed for Widecombe on the Moor, where a local fair was being held but the bus driver (Alf Manders) took a shortcut to bypass heavy traffic and ended up stuck on a bridge, the coach ended up having to drive in reverse for a half-mile before it could turn around. They then head for Plymouth, followed by a 20-car convoy of journalists and photographers.

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »

1977-Paul and Linda's son James Louis McCartney is born at the Avenue Clinic in St. John's Wood, London. He weighs 6 pounds 1 ounce.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2011, 03:44:39 AM »

September 13th

1965: The Paul McCartney song 'Yesterday' was released as a Beatles single in the US.

1965: Born on this day, Zak Starkey, drummer, (son of Ringo). Formed his own band The Face and has worked with The Who, Oasis, Johnny Marr and the Spencer Davis Group.

1967: The Beatles formed an electronics company called Fiftyshapes, Ltd. appointing John Alexis Mardas (Magic Alex) to be the company's director. Alex claimed he could build a 72-track tape machine, instead of the 4-track at Abbey Road (this never materialised). One of his more outrageous plans was to replace the acoustic baffles around Ringo Starr's drums with an invisible sonic force field. George Harrison later said that employing Mardas was "the biggest disaster of all time."

1969: John and Yoko flew to Canada with the Plastic Ono Band to perform at the Rock & Roll Revival Show in Toronto, Canada. The band members Eric Clapton, Klaus Voormann and drummer Alan White were put together so late that they had to rehearse on the plane from England. Also making an appearance at the concert were Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent, Bo Diddley, The Doors and Alice Cooper. Lennon later released his performance as the Live Peace in Toronto 1969 album.

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »

1971-Paul and Linda's second child, Stella Nina McCartney, is born at the King's College Hospital in London. As with the birth of Mary a year previously, Paul had moved into the hospital to be at Linda's side. Unfortunately, due to slight complications, Stella has to be delivered by Caesarean section and Paul is naturally barred from the operating theatre. Paul recalls the time: "I sat next door in my green apron praying like mad ... the name Wings just came into my head." Linda maintains he was thinking about "Wings of an angel". Paul had briefly toyed with the idea of calling his new group Turpentine, but was persuaded from doing so by a 79-year-old Beatles/McCartney fan.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »

September 14th

1967: Filming continued for The Beatles ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ in South West England. The Beatles searched for a quiet, secluded field in which they could conduct filming but once they'd disembarked from the bus and set up for shooting, scores of onlookers began to crowd around, causing a traffic jam that required the police to step in.

1995: The lyrics to The Beatles song ‘Getting Better’ hand-written by Paul McCartney sold for £161,000 at a Sotheby's auction in London.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #156 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »

1961, the Beatles play in the Litherland Town Hall in Liverpool. In the Liverpool magazine "Mersey Beat" appears for the first time John Lennon's new column, "Around and About", he used the pseudonym for "Beatcomber".

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »

September 15th

1961: Performance at noontime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. Early evening: Performance with Cliff Roberts and the Rockers at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard and later at the Village Hall in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

1963: Concert at the Royal Albert Hall, London, topping the bill for `Great Pop Prom'.

1964: The Beatles, on tour in the USA, appeared at the Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio. During the performance a group of fans managed to break through the line of police fronting the stage and get up on-stage. Police ordered The Beatles off-stage in the middle of a song, and the concert only resumed after Derek Taylor got on the PA system and pleaded for order to be restored so that the rest of the performance would not be cancelled by the police.

1965: `Help!' single, 8th and last week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).

1967: End of shootings of `Magical Mystery Tour'.

1972 - UK LP release: `Some Time In New York City'. (John Lennon)

1994: A reel to reel tape of The Quarry Men appearing at St Peter's Parish Church garden party Liverpool in July, 1957, sold for £69,000, ($125,000) at a Sotheby's auction.

2006: The Casbah Coffee Club in Liverpool where The Beatles played their first gig was given a Grade II listed building status after a recommendation from English Heritage. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison played in the converted coal cellar of the house in West Derby, in August 1959 as The Quarrymen.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:32:27 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »

September 16th
1963: ‘She Loves You’ by The Beatles was released by Swan Records in the US. Although the song is currently number one in the UK, ‘She Loves You’ was ignored in the US until 1964 when it would reach the top of the US Pop chart. 

1964:`A Hard Day's Night' single, 10th week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).

1964: Concert at the City Park Stadium, New Orleans.

1965: US Gold certification for `Eight Days A Week'/`I Don't Want To Spoil The Party'.

1967: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles recorded 11 takes of ‘Your Mother Should Know’, giving the song a stronger beat, but this version of the song was discarded in favour of the original recording.

1998: At a Sotheby's auction a notebook belonging to former Beatles roadie Mal Evans containing the lyrics to 'Hey Jude' sold for £111,500, and a two-tone denim jacket belonging to John Lennon went for £9,200.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »

September 17th

1962: The Beatles played the last of three Monday night gigs at The Queen’s Hall, Widnes, Cheshire. Also on the bill, Billy Kramer and the Coasters, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and Sonny Kaye and the Reds. Tickets cost 3/6.

1962: Single release, Anna (Go To Him)

1964: During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the Municipal Stadium in Kansas City. The Beatles were paid $150,000 for the show, which was more than any other act had ever been paid for a live show. Tickets cost $4.50.

1965: UK single release: `That Means A Lot', with P. J. Proby.

1969: Media on both sides of the Atlantic were running stories that said Paul McCartney was dead. He was supposedly killed in a car accident in Scotland on November 9th, 1966 and that a double had been taking his place for public appearances. In fact, Paul and his girlfriend Jane Asher were on vacation in Kenya at the time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:46:54 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Page created in 0.638 seconds with 26 queries.