A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 66807 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »

September 26

1959: The Quarry Men perform at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool.

1969: The Beatles released 'Abbey Road' in the UK, the final studio recordings from the group featured two George Harrison songs 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' plus 'Come Together', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers.'

1970: Abbey Road. Start of recordings for `John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' LP.

1974: US LP release: John Lennon's `Walls And Bridges'.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #181 on: September 27, 2011, 02:52:49 AM »

1963: Cilla Black made her debut on TV's' 'Ready Steady Go!' singing her new single 'Love of The Loved' which was written by Lennon and McCartney.

Sorry, I couldn't find the Ready Steady Go clip but this has to be similar.  :)
Cilla Black - Love Of The Loved (THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS '63)

1964: Brian and Ringo are among the panel of judges at `Beat Time For Oxfan', a pop talent contest with charity purposes, at the Prince of Wales Theatre, London.

1967: Working on new songs The Beatles recorded various parts for the new John Lennon song ‘I Am The Walrus’ and the new Paul McCartney song ‘Fool On The Hill.’

1986: The Beatles' 'Twist and Shout' re-entered the US singles chart over twenty-five years after it first appeared, after the song was featured in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #182 on: September 28, 2011, 05:14:03 AM »

September 28th

1902: Born on this day, Ed Sullivan, TV host, The Ed Sullivan Singers and Orchestra. Introduced The Beatles and other UK acts to America via his Ed Sullivan TV show. The Beatles appearance on February 9th 1964 is considered a milestone in American pop culture; the broadcast drew an estimated 73 million viewers. Sullivan died on 13th October 1974.

1962: The Beatles performed a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, Liverpool. That night they performed aboard the vessel MV Royal Iris on the River Mersey. The Beatles' third and final "Riverboat Shuffle".

1968: The Beatles started a nine week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hey Jude'. The Paul McCartney song written about Lennon's son Julian gave the group their 16th US No.1 and the biggest selling single of 1968.

2007: The John Lennon Northern Lights Festival was held in Durness, Scotland, the most northwesterly and remote village on mainland Britain. Lennon spent his childhood holidays between the ages of nine and 13 in the village and returned with his son Julian, Yoko Ono and her daughter Kyoko in 1969.

2010: Souvenir hunters were being condemned for "wanton vandalism" after sections of masonry were hacked off the house of Ringo Starr's birthplace. Fans who are campaigning to halt town hall plans to demolish 9 Madryn Street found that chunks of brickwork had been removed from the house.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:40 AM »

September 29th

1967: Working at Abbey Road in London, The Beatles mixed the new John Lennon song ‘I Am the Walrus’ which included the sound of a radio being tuned through numerous stations, coming to rest on a BBC production of William Shakespeare's "King Lear". Lennon composed the song by combining three songs he had been working on. When he learned that a teacher at his old primary school was having his students analyse Beatles' lyrics, he added a verse of nonsense words.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:34:20 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:45 AM »

1967: Working at Abbey Road in London, The Beatles mixed the new John Lennon song ‘I Am the Walrus’ which included the sound of a radio being tuned through numerous stations, coming to rest on a BBC production of William Shakespeare's "King Lear". Lennon composed the song by combining three songs he had been working on. When he learned that a teacher at his old primary school was having his students analyse Beatles' lyrics, he added a verse of nonsense words.

You know your BEATLES history well In My Life, I am very impressed. Take care. 

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:26 AM »

You know your BEATLES history well In My Life, I am very impressed. Take care.

No...I get this stuff from a website!
Kelley

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »

No...I get this stuff from a website!

so, but you take the initiative!

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2011, 02:58:53 AM »

September 30

1960: The Beatles performed at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Clay Ellis and the Raiders, and the Red River Jazz Men.

1967: John, George and the Maharishi appear on the TV `David Frost Show'.

1971: First stereo remix of `Penny Lane'.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »

1967: John, George and the Maharishi appear on the TV `David Frost Show'.

I don't remember I ever saw this. Is it available somewhere?

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »

I don't remember I ever saw this. Is it available somewhere?

I looked for a clip on YouTube with no luck. I really wanted to see it.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »

I looked for a clip on YouTube with no luck.

Try a little harder! ha2ha

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »

Try a little harder! ha2ha

Okay sir, but tomorrow. Do you know what time it is here?  ;)
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »

Time is a relative thing. ;D

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2011, 04:19:46 AM »

October 1st

1962: A new and revised contract is signed by The Beatles and Brian.

1963: Brian writes to the `Glasgow Record and Mail', making clear that the first two hits of Gerry and the Pacemakers were not written by Lennon and McCartney, but by Mitch Murray.

1964: UK LP release: `The Beatles Versus The Four Seasons'.

http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2011/03/21/the-beatles-vs-the-four-seasons/

1969: US LP release: `Abbey Road'.

1988:  John is honoured with a star in the streets of Hollywood. 
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2011, 05:05:24 AM »

October 2nd

1964: Brian Epstein's`A Cellarful Of Noise' is published in Britain.

1964: Granville Theatre, London. Rehearsal for a special British edition of the US TV show `Shindig'.

1969: John, in an interview, says that Apple is like a big black hole that takes all his benefits as an author and singer.

1971: John Lennon's 'Imagine' LP entered the US album chart, where it will reach No.3.

2001: Actor Kevin Spacey hosts Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music at New York's Radio City Music Hall. Performers include, Alanis Morissette, Moby, Stone Temple Pilots and the Dave Mathews Band. The evening was closed with those present singing 'Give Peace A Chance'.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:58:32 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »

2011-
Sir Paul and Nancy Shevell joined Ringo Starr and his Wife Barbara,Olivia and Dhani Harrison, Yoko Ono, Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones and Monty Python star Michael Palin on the red carpet at the British Film Institute in London.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »

October 3rd

1959: The Quarry Men perform at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool.

1960 - Last performance at the Indra Club, 64 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Billy Kramer and the Coasters, and the Echoes.

1968: Working at Trident Studios in London, The Beatles recorded the new George Harrison song ‘Savoy Truffle’. George, Paul, and Ringo recorded just one take of the basic track (drums, bass, and lead guitar). The song was inspired by Eric Clapton's love of chocolates, particularly Mackintosh's Good News.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:36 AM »

October 4th

1960: The Beatles began to perform nightly at the Kaiserkeller, 36 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany. Also performing are Rory Storm and the Hurricanes with drummer Ringo Starr. After Mon. November 21st, they perform without George.

1963: The Beatles made their first appearance on the UK ITV pop show 'Ready Steady Go!'

The Beatles - "Ready, Steady, Go" - 04.10.1963

1969: The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album went to No.1 on the UK chart. The final studio recordings from the group featured two George Harrison songs 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' plus 'Come Together', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers.' The cover supposedly contained clues adding to the ‘Paul Is Dead’ phenomenon: Paul is barefoot and the car number plate ‘LMW 281F’ supposedly referred to the fact that McCartney would be 28 years old if he was still alive. ‘LMW’ was said to stand for ‘Linda McCartney Weeps.’ And the four Beatles, represent; the priest (John, dressed in white), the Undertaker (Ringo in a black suit), the Corpse (Paul, in a suit but barefoot), and the Gravedigger (George, in jeans and a denim work shirt).
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »

October 5th

1962: The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.4.

1962:   First radio broadcast of a Beatles record (Radio Luxemburg). 

2000: Beatles' fans across the world rushed out to buy copies of “The Beatles Anthology”. Stores in Japan and Britain opened at midnight to satisfy demand for the book, the first written by the band members. Publishers said the 350,000-word volume, at a cost of £35, had already attracted more than 1.5m orders worldwide.

October 6th

1962: First signing of records by the Beatles (`Love Me Do'/`P.S. I Love You'), at the Dawson's Music Shop, Widnes. 

1964: The Beatles spent the afternoon recording 'Eight Days A Week' at Abbey Road studios in London. Late evening was spent at The Ad Lib Club, London, partying with The Ronettes and Mick Jagger.

1968  Transmision of the `Hey Jude' clip on the US TV programme `Smothers Brothers Show' 

Beatles Hey Jude on Smothers Brothers Show 1968 (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

1969: George Harrison's song 'Something' was released as the "A" side of a Beatles' 45, a first for Harrison. Along with Lennon and McCartney's Come Together, the single will reach No.1 in the US next month.

October 7th

1964: Meeting of the Beatles, Brian and Walter Shenson to discuss plans for the next film.

1967: The Beatles rejected an offer of $1 million from promoter Sid Bernstein to make a second appearance at New York's Shea Stadium. Bernstein had originally brought the group to Shea in August 1965.

1975: John Lennon was awarded his ‘Green Card’ - permanent residency status, at a hearing in New York which overturned previous efforts by the US Government to deport him. The three judge panel of the US Court of Appeals ruled that his 1968 arrest in Britain for possession of marijuana was "contrary to US ideas of due process and was invalid as a means of banishing the former Beatle from America."
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »

1964: Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded their next single ‘She's a Woman’ in seven takes plus overdubs, recording the song from start to finish in five hours.

1964: Enfield Town Driving Test Centre, Enfield Town, Middlesex. Morning. Ringo takes his driving test, successfully.
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Page created in 2.539 seconds with 26 queries.