Beatles forums > The Beatles

Today in Beatles History

<< < (101/102) > >>

In My Life:
June 7th

1961: Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Glasgow

“The Beatles had a rare day off on 6 June, but resumed the Roy Orbison tour the following day with a concert at the Odeon Cinema in Glasgow, Scotland. This was The Beatles’ first concert in Glasgow. They quickly warmed to the enthusiastic reception from the fans, and always enjoyed their four subsequent visits to the city – three of which were also at the Odeon. The Beatles performed the same seven-song set throughout the Roy Orbison tour: Some Other Guy, Do You Want To Know A Secret, Love Me Do, From Me To You, Please Please Me, I Saw Her Standing There and Twist And Shout.” Beatles Bible.com

1964: Travel: Amsterdam to Hong Kong

“On the morning of 7 June 1964 The Beatles flew from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, a journey which took in refueling stops in several countries and lasted more than 24 hours.”
It sounds like a rough trip but George seemed to have enjoyed it: Beatles Bible.com

From 4:56-5:27
http://youtu.be/GtU4Ku-x0_E
retronewser.com

When the plane stopped to refuel in Beirut, police turned firefighting foam on hundreds of fans who had invaded the runway at the airport. This Day in Music

1965: The Beatles Invite You to Take a Ticket to Ride, recorded on May 26th, aired today on the BBC’s Light Programme.

1966: The Capitol version of Paperback Writer came in at number 7 on the WABC All American Survey for the week of June 7th.

Survey collector Ken Williamson notes that “In a sharp departure from past music policy, this would be the only week to feature album cuts from the newly-released Beatles LP, "'Yesterday'...and Today."  The following week, all LP cuts would be dropped from the music rotation.” Note that this would have actually been an advance release of the album, as the official release was June 14th…or 15th…or 20th, depending on what article you read! At any rate, they would have received the coveted (by future fans) Butcher Cover.

“WABC kept weekly surveys of the best selling records in New York City throughout its years as a Top 40 Music station. These surveys were based on the record sales of local record stores in New York City. The lists are an accurate reflection of what songs were played each week on WABC. This was the "heyday" of Top 40 music and these surveys are fascinating.” WABC Weekly Music Surveys

There’s lots of great information on WABC here for those who are interested in the history of American Top 40 stations. This station found its way to my radio only at night, when the ionosphere was just right.

1967: Recording: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
“This was the second session for one of The Beatles’ most bizarre recordings: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number), following initial work on 17 May 1967.” Beatles Bible.com

1968: George Harrison and Ringo Starr fly to America

George and Pattie Harrison, Ringo Starr, Maureen Starkey and Mal Evans all flew to California on this day. The purpose of the visit was for Harrison to make a guest appearance in Ravi Shankar’s film Raga. The scene was filmed on 10 and 11 June in the Big Sur area of San Francisco, but the party stayed in Monterey during their visit. The film was originally made under the working title East Meets West, and later known as Messenger Out Of The East before the eventual title was settled upon. The party remained in America until until 18 June; in their absence John Lennon and Paul McCartney continued work on the White Album. Beatles Bible.com

More on the film, which was released in 1971, here.

Trailer
http://youtu.be/lvaY3-E7ToI

1969: `Yellow Submarine' LP, 21st and last week in the Top 100 (Billboard). `Get Back' number 1, 3rd week; 5th week in the Top 30 (Billboard). 2

http://youtu.be/M9JKmANMQwM

In My Life:
June 8th

1963: Live: City Hall, Newcastle

The penultimate date of The Beatles’ tour with Roy Orbison took place at Newcastle’s City Hall. It was the second time the group had performed at the venue. Beatles Bible

1964: The Beatles arrive in Hong Kong

“More than 1,000 fans were waiting for The Beatles at Hong Kong’s Kai Tak Airport when they arrived on 8 June. They were allowed to bypass customs and immigration procedures and were swiftly taken to the President Hotel in Kowloon, where they were booked to stay on the 15th floor.” More: Beatles Bible

Yesterday’s video at a different spot:
6:09-6:39
http://youtu.be/GtU4Ku-x0_E

John, barely awake, greeting the Miss Hong Kong beauties:

Lots of info on the Beatles’ visit and also on the Hong Kong music scene at the time: When The Beatles Came to Hong Kong

Press conference transcript here

Audio: 29:38
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/18%20Hong%20Kong%20Press%20Conference.mp3

“Wes (Epae) was a member of a New Zealand band, the Maori Hi-Five. The band was the one of the supporting acts for the Beatles' shows at the Princess Theatre the next day. When Wes visited the Beatles in their hotel suite at the President Hotel, he asked for their autographs.”

Autograph and more info here

1965: Mixing: I Want To Hold Your Hand

“Balance engineer Norman Smith created a new stereo mix of I Want To Hold Your Hand in a half-hour studio session beginning at 10am. The mix was intended for compilation albums issued by EMI’s partner labels in Australia and the Netherlands. It was numbered remix two, and was created from take 17 of the song.” Beatles Bible

1966: Recording: Good Day Sunshine

“The backing track for Paul McCartney‘s song Good Day Sunshine was recorded during a 12-hour session which began at 2.30pm…..At this stage the song had the working title A Good Day’s Sunshine.” Beatles Bible

1967: Recording: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

Paul McCartney had invited Brian Jones of the Stones to the session, although it was expected that he would bring his normal musical instrument.

“It was Brian Jones of the Stones. He turned up very, very nervous with a sax, and we said ‘Oh, we thought you’d bring a guitar!’ and he’d brought a sax. I invited him to the session. Absolutely definitely Brian of the Stones. Unequivocably, as they say.” Paul McCartney Beatles Bible

1968: Paul McCartney served as best man at his brother Michael’s wedding.

Paul McCartney kisses his new sister in law Angela Fishwick who married his brother Mike in Carrog North Wales 8 June 1968:

Daily Post

More Paul and Jane pictures here

In My Life:
June 9th

1957: The Quarry Men enter the TV Star Search competition

Less than a month after their first live appearance, The Quarrymen entered ABC TV’s talent show TV Star Search, organised by “Mr Star Maker” Carroll Levis. More: Beatles Bible

One of the songs The Quarry Men performed:

http://youtu.be/2Vxdud6k56U

Over 50 years ago, among the first talent to gain public consciousness through this new fangled media was Carroll Levis Discoveries (1957). Apart from setting a precedent as ITV’s talent show, it set a further one by having a Canadian presenter (a feat later repeated on Opportunity Knocks). Launched in 1957 it often topped the ratings, knocking Sunday Night at the London Palladium of its top spot. The programme had transferred over to television from radio and hitherto enjoyed proven success with the latter media form. UK Television Talent Shows Through the Ages: The Not So Perfect Ten

1960: Live: The Institute, Neston, Wirral

The Silver Beetles’ second of six Thursday night shows at this venue in the Merseyside town of Neston. Each of the Institute concerts were organised by Allan Williams, and were promoted by Les Dodd’s Paramount Enterprises.
Beatles Bible

1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (evening)

The Beatles’ 69th evening show at the Cavern Club took place on this date. It was a “Beatles Welcome Home Show” following their third Hamburg residency, which spanned seven weeks at the Star-Club in April and May. Beatles Bible
For the next 12 days the Cavern Club had The Beatles under exclusive contract. 1

More here: It was 50 years ago today

A letter sent to members of The Beatles Fan Club, in advance of the band's return:

1963: Performance at King George’s Hall, Northgate, Blackburn, Lancashire

The last date in the Roy Orbison package tour begun in Slough on 18 May. 1

1964: Live: Princess Theatre, Kowloon, Hong Kong

The Beatles gave two concerts at the Princess Theatre at 130 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, in the Kowloon region of Hong Kong. The support act was The Maori Hi-Five.
“In Hong Kong, the paper said, ‘The Beatles fought a losing battle against the screams.’ Compared with other audiences, they were quiet.” John Lennon, 1964, Anthology
The venue held 1,700 seats, although neither concert was a sell-out. Beatlemania had reached Hong Kong, but the promoter’s decision to charge HK $75 – the equivalent to an average week’s wage at the time – meant many of The Beatles’ fans were unable to see them perform.
“Hong Kong was a slightly flat performance in a smallish place. They behaved themselves, and it looked like a khaki audience. We played, but I don’t think we enjoyed the show too much – although at least we could be heard.”
Paul McCartney, Anthology
The Beatles did no sightseeing during their stay in Hong Kong, believing the fans’ attentions may prove too dangerous. The following day they flew from Kai Tak airport to Sydney, Australia.
On 3 October 1970 the Princess Theatre was sold to a Hong Kong hotel group. It was closed in March 1973 and a hotel was built on the site.
Beatles Bible

These pictures are from an earlier meeting with the presidents of the Hong Kong fan club. George seems to have brought the party down.

Beatles Photo Blog

Meanwhile, back home…

Mixing: A Hard Day’s Night, Things We Said Today

1965: The KRLA Beat for this date featured many articles on The Beatles, including an exclusive preview of the soon to be released album “Beatles IV”.
Along with The Beatles there are articles on The Kinks, The Byrds and many more. Lots of fun to read!

Clicking here will download a PDF file of this paper to your computer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/june_9_1965_KRLA%20beat.pdf

1966: Recording, mixing: Good Day Sunshine
The recording of Good Day Sunshine, which had begun on the previous day, was completed on this day during an afternoon session. More: Beatles Bible

1967: Editing, mixing: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

The five discrete parts of You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) were edited together during this session into a single take. The final edit was numbered take 30, and consisted of take nine of part one, take 12 of part two, take four of part three, take six of part four, and take one of part five. All but the first part had been recorded in the previous day’s session. At the end of this session a rough mono mix was made so that acetate discs could be cut for reference. The final edit lasted 6’08″ and featured no vocals; these were added on 30 April 1969.
Beatles Bible

1968: Kenny Everett's interview with the Beatles airs on the BBC. Some days in the Beatles lives

"With that done, John sat down "cross-legged on his amplifier", strumming a fretless guitar, and bantered amusingly with BBC Radio's Kenny Everett. When they had finished overdubbing, the other Beatles joined the fun, playing and singing impromptu jingles for Kenny. An abbreviated version of this recording, overlaid with sound effects, was heard on The Kenny Everett Show June 9th. A longer edit was released on a promotional Apple single, Una Sensazionale Intervista con I Beatles." Contra Band Music

The abbreviated version : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/30%20_The%20Kenny%20Everett%20Show_%20%28Broadcast%20Edit%29.mp3

The long version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/20%20_The%20Kenny%20Everett%20Show_.mp3

2011: Paul McCartney live at MGM Grand Garden, Las Vegas
Sir Paul McCartney gave a private concert at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, for delegates attending the Hewlett-Packard Discover Americas trade conference at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. More: Beatles Bible

Blackbird (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

In My Life:
June 10th

1961: Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany

1963: Live: Pavilion, Bath

Although The Beatles’ UK tour with Roy Orbison had finished the previous night, the group was back on the road on this day, with a concert in the Georgian city of Bath, England. This was The Beatles’ only concert in Bath. Also on the bill were The Colin Anthony Combo and Chet & The Triumphs. Beatles Bible

Paul is shown listening earnestly to his transistor radio. The Beatles stayed at the Francis Hotel and played at the Pavilion on Monday 10th June 1963. They were supported by The Colin Anthony Combo and Chet and the Triumphs.

At the Francis Hotel

Both images and text © Bath in Time - Bath Central Library Collection

I can’t find any details about this image that looks like a scrapbook page, other than the fact that it’s from the Bath date. I’d love to know who took the pictures and if this was captioned then or years later.

Solo Beatles Photo Forum

1964: Mixing: I’ll Be Back
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/10/mixing-ill-be-back/

Travel:
On June 9th 1964, the Beatles performed two shows at the Princess Theatre in Kowloon Hong Kong. The next day on the 10th, the group and their entourage hopped a flight to Sydney Australia. Accompanying the Beatles on this plane trip was Australian disc jockey Bob Rogers, who would travel with them on the Australasian leg of the tour. Bob Rogers took the opportunity in Hong Kong to record a chat with John and George, followed by a conversation with Paul, at Kaitak Airport on June 10th while awaiting their departure to Sydney. The Beatles discuss Hong Kong and all things Australian with Rogers as they look forward to their arrival down under.- Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org

Transcript here

Audio: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/20%20Kaitak%20Airport%20w_Bob%20Rogers.mp3

Bob Rogers also made this recording en route to Sydney:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/03%20Flight%20To%20Adelaide%20w_Bob%20Rogers.mp3

1966: UK single release: Paperback Writer

The Beatles’ 12th Parlophone single was their lowest-seller since Love Me Do. Paperback Writer single - United Kingdom Paperback Writer was The Beatles’ first single not to be a love song, and although the subject matter may not have been a significant hit with the public, it showcased their growing maturity as songwriters. Paul McCartney created the fictional tale of an aspiring writer, and with the rest of the group created a bluesy, bass-driven sound that was quite unlike any of their previous singles. Its b-side, Rain was perhaps even more ambitious. Written by John Lennon, it was inspired by LSD and the feelings of introspection it inspired, and boasted a coda featuring – for the first time on a Beatles record – backwards vocals. The single was released as Parlophone R5452, and entered the UK singles charts on 16 June 1966. One week later it reached the number one spot, where it remained for a second week. In all it spent 11 weeks on the charts. Beatles Bible

1968: George Harrison films a scene for Ravi Shankar’s Raga

Harrison’s scenes were filmed on this and the following day, at a country retreat overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Big Sur, San Francisco. The first day involved Harrison being filmed learning a new raga from Shankar, and sitting on grass with a view of the ocean. The scene was not rehearsed, and no dialogue was prepared. Harrison and Shankar spoke and played while cameras shot around 30 minutes of footage.
Beatles Bible

“Never before had any of The Beatles left the country while group recordings were in progress. Yet-although some sessions were cancelled (7 and also 12-14 June)-when George and Ringo went to the USA from 7 to 18 June, work continued.
…the film (was) accompanied by an Apple soundtrack produced by George. 1

1976: -UK release of The Beatles’ compilation double LP, Rock 'n' Roll Music (Parlophone). Absolute Elsewhere

This is another one of those things where I’ve found date discrepancies but since the DM’s site discography concurs we’ll go with today.

UK Rock and Roll Music
http://youtu.be/g-HAuyzi2F8

2007: Yoko Ono appears on the BBC’s Desert Island Discs

Yoko Ono‘s appearance on the long-running BBC radio series Desert Island Discs was first broadcast on this day. Ono was interviewed by the show’s host, Kirsty Young, and chose the eight records, luxury item and book she would take if stranded as a castaway on a desert island. Beatles Bible

One of her eight records and the one she would keep if it she had only one choice:

Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

In My Life:
June 11th

1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey

This was The Silver Beetles’* third concert at the Grosvenor Ballroom within a week, and one that didn’t pass without incident. More:Beatles Bible

That would be the Ronnie Incident.

*They may have been The Beatles by then. This blog post asserts that they were, in print:

“Fellow Beatles fan Robin Bird said: Historians have said the Silver Beetles changed their name to the Beatles when they left for Hamburg on August 16, 1960 starting a new chapter in their amazing musical career. However, from the old cuttings it is apparent the band changed their name before that date when they played at the Grosvenor Ballroom.” Wog Blog

In his book Tune In, Mark Lewisohn claims it was officially changed even before this date: “It was in this time frame (May 18-19 1960, just before the Johnny Gentle tour), that the name evolved once more, when the Silver was dropped and they became the Beatles unadorned. While Stu (Sutcliffe) held out for the Beatals just a little longer, and Allan Williams continued to call them the Silver Beetles (and advertise them this way) well into the summer they were, clean and clear, the Beatles. page 307

So what about these cuttings? I would like to see these things but I can’t seem to find them on the Internet, just mention of them, like in the article that prompted the blog post: Beatles named and dated

At any rate, Allan Williams seems to have been well known for not getting the name right. Who can blame him though, when it changed so many times?

1961: Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany

1962: Radio: Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go

The Beatles’ second radio appearance took place on this day, on the BBC show Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go. The recording took place at the Playhouse Theatre in Manchester. The Beatles took part in rehearsals from 4pm, and the show was taped from 8.45-9.30pm. This edition of Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on Friday 15 June from 5-5.30pm. The Beatles performed three songs before a studio audience: Ask Me Why, Besame Mucho and A Picture Of You. Ask Me Why was therefore the first Lennon-McCartney song to be broadcast. Beatles Bible

http://youtu.be/kB90UdYfqfM

1964: The Beatles arrive in Australia

The Beatles flew from Hong Kong to Sydney, stopping en route in Darwin to allow their aeroplane to refuel. Although it was an unscheduled stop, 400 fans were waiting as they landed in Darwin at 2.35am. Although they were unable to leave their hotel, in the evening The Beatles gave a series of interviews, press conferences and photography sessions, and met a number of concert promoters and local dignitaries. Also on this day, Ringo Starr was discharged from University College Hospital, London, allowing him to fly to Australia to rejoin the group.
More here:Beatles Bible

The rainy arrival at 0:00-0:43:
http://youtu.be/V3NXLuxg8Zw (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Dick Lean, managing director of Stadiums Limited, would later remember about the Sydney press conference: "They were just brilliant, under any circumstance. They handled the press with a sharp reparte that we'd just never seen before." The Beatles had once again charmed the all-important press. An editorial in Sydney's Sun newspaper proclaimed: "Their press conference showed that teenagers are not necessarily fools when it comes to picking winners. One cannot 'ready' a press conference. Questions are asked and answered off the cuff very quickly... they showed considerable insight into the secret of their own success."
Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews

Press conference transcript here

Video:
Part 1 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Part 2 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Meet the Truck that Drove the Beatles (Includes lots of pictures and some audio of interviews)

How The Beatles came on tour to Australia nearly 50 years ago

Peter Cox was seven on June 11 of 1964, and remembers watching TV footage of the Beatles arriving in Sydney, in the pouring rain. “In those days there was no breakfast television, but Channels 7 and 9 had cameras at the airport; it was a television event,” he smiles.
More here

1965: The Beatles to be awarded MBEs

Brian Epstein requested that Paul McCartney and Jane Asher return from their Portuguese holiday a day early, so all The Beatles could be in Britain on the day it was announced that they would be awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire.
More:Beatles Bible

1968: Recording, mixing: Blackbird, Revolution 9

George Harrison and Ringo Starr were both in America on this day, but John Lennon and Paul McCartney made the most of the studio block-booking throughout June to continue work on the White Album.

A film crew from Apple, directed by Tony Bramwell, was present during the session, ostensibly to make a 10-minute promotional short for the company. Recorded onto 16mm film, the footage captured McCartney working on Blackbird and Helter Skelter on an acoustic guitar, as well as various other scenes from inside the studio, in the Apple Boutique, Apple Tailoring, McCartney’s garden and other locations. Other people featured in the promo, which was simply titled Apple, included Lennon, Mary Hopkin, James Taylor, Dick James, Alexis Mardas and NEMS’s Alistair Taylor.

Fortunately, the sound recordist also made a 41-minute tape of McCartney rehearsing Blackbird, from which we can see the song take shape.
McCartney continues recording, and eventually manages a full take. His fourth attempt from this time was released on 1996′s Anthology 3. Thirty-two takes of Blackbird were recorded during this session, just 11 of which were complete.
More:Beatles Bible

Paul McCartney and Mary Hopkin are filmed for Apple Records

At EMI Studios on this day, Paul McCartney was filmed with Apple Records’ new signing Mary Hopkin, as part of a promotional film for the label. More: Beatles Bible

Tony Bramwell, in his book Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles discussed the film. He said, among other things, “John Lennon insisted on including footage of Magic Alex in his habitual white coat, fiddling with a pile of junk.”

That brief passage certainly says a lot about his opinion of the “electronics expert” and his relationship with the Beatles.

The film: Apple (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

George and Ringo were still in California:

Meanwhile, back in California, ….George and Ravi Shankar returned to the previous Big Sur location and were filmed participating in a teach-in and chatting as they walked together along the cliff-top. 1

2009: Yoko Ono honoured by Mojo magazine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/2009/06/11/yoko-ono-honoured-by-mojo-magazine/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version