Beatles forums > The Beatles

Today in Beatles History

<< < (2/101) > >>

In My Life:
June 14th

1963, During a UK tour The Beatles played at New Brighton Tower supported by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Tickets cost 6 shillings in advance.

1964, 12-year-old Carol Dryden was discovered by railway workers packed in a tea chest on a station platform addressed to The Beatles. 

1964, Touring Australia The Beatles arrived in Melbourne and were greeted at the airport by over 5,000 fans. Another 20,000 fans lined the route from the airport to the hotel, army and navy units were brought in to help control the crowds, cars were crushed, hundreds of girls fainted and over 50 people were admitted to hospital with broken bones.

Badgirl66:

--- Quote ---Workers at a London railway station open a tea chest addressed to the Beatles and find 12-year-old Carol Dryden, a fan who'd decided to mail herself to the group.
--- End quote ---

Crazy fan and so  young.

In My Life:
June 15th

2002, A rare autographed copy of The Beatles’ album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band sold at auction for £34,000 ($57,800), more than five times the estimated price.

In My Life:
June 16th

1966: The Beatles made a surprise live appearance on the UK television program Top of the Pops, performing ‘Paperback Writer’ and ‘Rain’. It became The Beatles' last live musical television appearance, with the sole exception of the June 1967 worldwide transmission of ‘All You Need Is Love’.

In My Life:
June 17th

1964: The Beatles' final two shows in Melbourne, Australia took place on this day.

This was The Beatles' last of three consecutive nights of shows in the city's Festival Hall, Each night they gave two concerts, which were enjoyed by a total of 45,000 people.

Cameras from the Australian Channel 9 recorded the sixth and final show of the Melbourne leg of the world tour. It was screened on 1 July 1964 as an hour-long special, The Beatles Sing For Shell, named after the oil company which sponsored the broadcast.

Nine of The Beatles' Melbourne performances were included in the show: I Saw Her Standing There, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally. During Long Tall Sally, a male audience member rushed onto the stage to shake John Lennon's hand.

The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein had initially agreed to allow Channel 9 to show just 12 minutes of the performance. However, after watching the recording an hour after the show he had a change of heart and increased the limit to 20 minutes.

In the end 22 minutes of The Beatles were included, the rest of the hour being footage of Australian and international performers. The only song from the set not broadcast was This Boy. 
BeatlesArchives HQ (YouTube)

Full concert, including support acts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEDsJz9yQ8

updated 12/13/12

1965: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles completed work on the new Paul McCartney song ‘Yesterday’ with the overdubbing of an additional vocal track by McCartney and a string quartet. They also recorded ‘Act Naturally’ for Ringo's vocal contribution on the ‘Help!’ album and the song ‘Wait’, in four takes. ‘Wait’ will not be included on ‘Help!’, it was included on the following LP, ‘Rubber Soul’.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version