A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 79062 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Today in Beatles History
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »

June 12, 2014

1961: Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany

1962: Lunchtime performance at the Cavern

1963: Live: Grafton Rooms, Liverpool

The Beatles’ third known concert at Liverpool’s Grafton Rooms had been arranged in February 1963, and was a fundraiser for the charity the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC). More:Beatles Bible

1964: Live: Centennial Hall, Adelaide

The day after they landed on Australian soil, The Beatles flew from Sydney to Adelaide in a chartered Ansett ANA jet, arriving at 11.57am. An estimated 200,000 people lined the 10-mile route between Adelaide Airport and the city centre in the hope of seeing The Beatles’ motorcade. More than 30,000 surrounded the Town Hall, where they met the city’s mayor, James Campbell Irwin, along with council members and their families. The Beatles were given toy koala bears. John Lennon told the reception, “Wherever we go, anywhere in the world, this reception which Adelaide has given us will stick in our memories. The group was shadowed by local DJ Bob Francis from 5DN, who interviewed them in a range of locations including the Town Hall balcony. Francis also booked the suite next to theirs at the Southern Australia Hotel, from where he gave listeners hourly updates.
More: Beatles Bible

Town Hall Balcony:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73027501/04%20Town%20Hall%20Balcony%2C%20Adelaide.mp3

The above image was scanned from a 35mm slide I took in 1964 of the Beatles waving to the crowds below from the balcony of  the Adelaide Town Hall. jthonlinepics.com

The title of this video is a little misleading. There's actually several interviews here.
Right after the balcony interview: 3:58-11:41

Over 50,000 applications had been made for tickets to see The Beatles in Adelaide’s Centennial Hall, which had just 3,000 seats. The group played two sets on this day, and two more on the following day. The compère was Alan Field, and the support acts were Sounds Incorporated, Johnny Devlin, Johnny Chester and The Phantoms. The Beatles performed the same 10 songs at all their Adelaide shows: I Saw Her Standing There, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can’t Buy Me Love, This Boy, Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally.

One of the lucky 3,000

Love the matching outfits!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr4Tgy0WHNgncrOIbph071ZgsEd3ByiUV

A flight from London to Los Angeles finds Beatle Ringo Starr seated next to actress Vivian Lee. Landing in L.A., Ringo quickly caught a plane to Australia to rejoin the other three Beatles. Jimmy Nichol, a substitute drummer,has been playing with the Beatles since Ringo entered a London hospital with tonsillitis. Says Ms. Lee - “Ringo and I had a marvelous trip together. He is absolutely enchanting. He told me he was on his way to Australia to meet his fellow Beatles... I just can’t get used to that name (laughing). Mr. PopCulture

Vivian Leigh played Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With the Wind

http://www.mrpopculture.com/june-10-1964

1965: Recently in the news was an announcement that the Beatles would be awarded MBE medals by Queen Elizabeth in a royal ceremony later in the year. The MBE, or Members of the Most Honorable Order of the British Empire, is a prestigious annual award. The ceremony was to be held on October 26th 1965 at Buckingham Palace. On June 12th following this announcement, the Beatles discussed their reactions with British Calendar News, and also with ITV. Both interviews are presented below. - Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org
Transcript

MBE Interviews and Public Reactions

Beatle John Lennon and his wife, Cynthia, arrive late for a news conference at Twickenham Studios, Middlesex, England, on June 12, 1965. WCBS Radio

1967: US album release: The Family Way
On this day the soundtrack to the 1966 film The Family Way was issued in the United States, following its release in the UK on 6 January 1967. It was mostly composed by Paul McCartney. Beatles Bible

Complete album

1972: US album release: Some Time In New York City by John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band

Disc 1

Disc 2 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

As part of the promotion for Some Time In New York City, John Lennon records an interview at his Greenwich Village apartment with freelance radio journalist, Scott Johns. Among other things, he discusses his relationship with street musician David Peel. In 1980, the interview is released on a limited edition disc called The David Peel Interviews. AbsoluteElsewhere

1980: John Lennon’s nine-day voyage to Bermuda comes to an end with the safe arrival of all who were aboard the sailboat. AbsoluteElsewhere

How John Lennon Rediscoverd His Music in Bermuda

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:59:12 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:53:15 AM »

June 13th

1960: Live: Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool

Although he had walked out of the group before their 11 June concert at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Wallasey, drummer Tommy Moore performed one final time on this date at Allan Williams‘ Jacaranda Coffee Bar. Moore was temporarily replaced with Norman Chapman, but the line-up lasted just three weeks before Chapman began his National Service with the army. After that The Silver Beetles used various stand-ins or changed instruments within the group. Beatles Bible

This being a Monday, the Beatles played the basement room of Allan Williams Jacaranda Club.  They were not paid cash money for these appearances, but were given beans on toast (yum).  I guess they thought of these sessions as practice time.  Beatle +50 Blog

Liverpool's The Jacaranda pub to return with new look Liverpool Echo

I’m not sure if they’ve opened yet but this article has pictures and video.

1962: Evening performance at the Cavern Club

1963: Live: Palace Theatre Club, Stockport

The Beatles performed two concerts on this day, both in venues they hadn’t played before. The first was at the Palace Theatre Club in Turncroft Lane, Stockport, Cheshire, their only performance in the town. Afterwards they drove 10 miles to their next booking, at the Southern Sporting Club in Manchester. The Beatles played for around 30 minutes, to 300 mostly screaming fans. The booking had been made prior to the success of the Please Please Me single, but was honoured by Brian Epstein despite the group being able to command much higher fees by June.

Live: Southern Sporting Club, Manchester
Following their appearance in Stockport, Cheshire, The Beatles drove 10 miles to the Southern Sporting Club in Manchester for their second show of the night.
Beatles Bible

1964: Live: Centennial Hall, Adelaide

The Beatles played their second night of shows at the Centennial Hall, Adelaide. They performed two sets, as on the previous day, each to 3,000 people.

Around 4,000 fans were camped outside the South Australia Hotel when The Beatles awoke just after midday. In the afternoon they held a small reception for the organisers of their Australian fan club.

Meanwhile, Ringo Starr, delayed from joining the tour by illness, arrived in San Francisco en route to Australia. He gave a press conference at the airport before boarding the Qantas flight to Sydney. More:Beatles Bible

0:00-3:57

Rare Beatles poster in Adelaide garage sale

A day in the life of a Beatles security guard

Here is a nice story of one of the men who guarded the Beatles in Adelaide 50 years ago.   This story is from the Advertiser and was written by who else but Craig Cook.

A poster given away by Mobil gas stations. They were originally giving out cards but these were issued when the cards ran out.

The Beatles in Adelaide 1964
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZIUUsyajb6BwE4QcRH3T1mHWC8a5-awO

1975: John Lennon gave his last TV performance, singing "Imagine" and Little Richard's "Slippin' And Slidin,'" on the ABC special "A Salute to Sir Lew Grade," honoring the British impresario and media mogul. The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac

An intro to the show then John’s two songs:

1988: George Harrison released the single "This is Love." The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac

This is Love

2006: Activist/ex-model Heather Mills, estranged wife of Paul McCartney, announced her intention to divorce the former Beatle. The Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac

Good. She’s a drag. A well-known drag.

2010: Paul McCartney closes 2010 Isle Of Wight Festival with Jimi Hendrix tribute NMR

Just a sampling, in no particular order
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZIUUsyajb6Bd7APdSdEfJedQxPgyJFQh

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 04:39:23 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:22 AM »

1975, John Lennon made his last ever TV appearance when he appeared on 'Salute To Sir Lew Grade', performing 'Slippin And Slidin', and 'Imagine'.

This was in April

John's pre-recorded appearance on the ATV/ITC television special^ Salute To Sir Lew Grade is aired on American TV. (The UK transmission, featuring the alternative title of Salute, occurs across the ITV network on June 20, at different times throughout the evening. See entry for April 18. One of John's three songs, 'Imagine', is later released in 1992 on the PMI home video The John Lennon Video Collection.

rosebud84

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »

My dad used to tell me the story of how he stood outside that hall listening to The Beatles because he couldn't get in, so so so lucky  ;D ;D

1964, The Beatles arrived in Adelaide, Australia and were greeted by an estimated 250,000 fans, (the biggest welcome the band would ever receive), who lined the ten mile route from the airport to the city centre. The group gave their first four shows in Australia at the Centennial Hall, Adelaide over two nights, playing: I Saw Her Standing There, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy, Long Tall Sally and Twist And Shout. Temporary member Jimmy Nicol was standing in for Ringo on drums who was recovering from having his tonsils removed.

1965, The Beatles were included in the Queen's birthday honours list to each receive the MBE. Protests poured into Buckingham Palace, MP Hector Dupuis said 'British Royalty has put me on the same level as a bunch of vulgar numbskulls'. 

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »

My dad used to tell me the story of how he stood outside that hall listening to The Beatles because he couldn't get in, so so so lucky  ;D ;D

At least he got to hear them live!
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:12 AM »

June 14th

1963: Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasey

A sensational final return to an old stomping ground-always one of The Beatles favorite venues-to play another in “The Mersey Beat Showcase” series presented by NEMS Enterprises. 1

This was their final appearance here.

Wallasey historian and author Tony Franks-Buckley wrote about this popular resort.

The New Brighton Tower & Fairground

Back before I was born New Brighton was a "Great" British Seaside Resort. It was more popular than Blackpool, offered many things to enjoy, and at one point in time had the highest tower in Britain. By the time I was born in 1981 it was all gone and as if it never existed. How did a booming leisure resort disapear virtually overnight?

A year later…

New Brighton – The Rise From The Ashes

There is once again a feel good factor about our beloved seaside resort New Brighton, something that has been missing since the day it turned into a ghost town virtually overnight in 1969. A new facelift with healthy investment has seen the phoenix rise from the ashes once more. Whilst it still holds many of the values and ideas of a Victorian Seaside Resort, it has also been given a 21stCentury facelift, ensuring that once again New Brighton is a popular seaside resort.

1964: Ringo Starr gives a press conference in Sydney, Australia

Ringo Starr arrived in Sydney on the morning of 14 June 1964, following a long flight from London Airport via San Francisco. He spent less than two hours in the city before catching a connecting flight to Melbourne, where he was reunited with the other Beatles. At the airport a press conference was held for the assembled reporters. Brian Epstein, The Beatles’ manager, was also present. More:Beatles Bible

Interview Transcript here.

6:14

Ringo rejoins The Beatles in Australia

After almost two weeks apart from the group due to his tonsillitis and pharyngitis, Ringo Starr finally rejoined The Beatles in Melbourne, Australia.

Meanwhile, the other three Beatles left their Adelaide hotel at 12.15 and flew to Melbourne on a chartered Ansett ANA Fokker Friendship. They were greeted by a crowd of 5,000.

Army and navy units were brought in to help control the crowds, cars were crushed, hundreds of girls fainted and over 50 people were admitted to hospital with broken bones.

After all four Beatles had been reunited they held – along with stand-in drummer Jimmie Nicol – a press conference.

Press Conference Videos

In the evening they held a party, without Nicol, until 4am.

Southern Cross Hotel balcony

Ringo rejoined the Beatles in Melbourne on June 14th 1964 following his ten day hospital recovery from accute tonsilitis. As Ringo Starr and Brian Epstein arrived in Melbourne, they witnessed the beginnings of the incredible gathering that would greet the other Beatles arrival later that afternoon. The car carrying Ringo and Brian pulled up to the main public entrance where 3,000 fans had already gathered. Jay Spangler

More info, including interview transcripts here.

Outside the Southern Cross Hotel

She’s still a Lady Beatle: Binny Lum’s unedited interview with The Beatles

The NFSA is celebrating the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ tour of Australia with the launch of an unedited interview with three of The Beatles recorded in London in April 1964, a couple of months before they arrived in Australia. The interviewer was Binny Lum, an Australian freelance radio and television personality known for her friendly conversational style. Previously heard in edited versions, release of the complete interview on our SoundCloud channel marks the first time the unedited recording has been made available.
Several months after the interview, Lum got the chance to meet the Beatles again during their Australian tour. Lum’s daughter Sharon Terry relates that the Beatles were apparently waiting for Lum at the Southern Cross Hotel in Melbourne, expecting a follow-up interview with her but she never received the message. There was a lot of pressure wherever they went said Sharon. Perhaps someone made sure she didn’t get the message, or maybe it simply got lost along the way, by accident. Lum did meet them again at the official press reception on 14 June at the Southern Cross Hotel in Melbourne where she posed in a photo with them.
http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php?id=31320]The Beatles in Melbourne[/url]

Beatles documentary takes viewers on a magical history tour

Back in England…
Suspicious of the contents, workers at a railway station in London opened a large chest addressed to the Beatles and found Carol Dryden, a 12-year-old fan who had decided to mail herself to the band.
The Olde Disc Jockey’s Almanac
She didn’t know they weren’t there to receive the package.

1965: US album release: Beatles VI
The Beatles’ US label, Capitol Records, released the album Beatles VI on this day.

Recording: I’ve Just Seen A Face, I’m Down, Yesterday

Three songs were recorded on this day, the most notable of which was Paul McCartney‘s timeless classic Yesterday. More: Beatles Bible

What makes Paul’s recording of “Yesterday”, the supreme melodic ballad, all the more remarkable, is that it directly followed the taping of “I’m Down”, a quasi-soul/rock and roll song delivered by Paul in the most larynx-tearing, cord-shredding style.1

It is announced that plans to film “A Talent For Loving” as the third Beatles film have been dropped. Absolute Elsewhere

In June 1965, a brief statement was circulated to the media, the contents of which explained that plans to film A Talent For Loving in the autumn had been cancelled. The reason? As most of the movie had to be filmed on location in Spain, it was now felt that the weather would not be reliable. But wasn't that the reason Spain was chosen in the first instance? The Beatles, insisted Brian Epstein somewhat vaguely, were working on alternative plans, which would be made public at a later date. Fab Four Forever

1966: Recording: Here, There and Everywhere

The backing track for one of Paul McCartney‘s Revolver highlights, Here, There And Everywhere, was begun on this day. The session began at 7pm and finished at 2am the following morning. The Beatles recorded four takes of the basic track, after which vocal harmonies were overdubbed by McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison. These recordings remain unreleased, however, and two days later The Beatles began a remake of the song. Beatles Bible

1967: Recording: All You Need Is Love

On 18 May 1967 a contract was signed committing The Beatles to represent the BBC and Britain in a worldwide satellite broadcast on Sunday 25 June. They were to be shown performing an especially-written song: All You Need Is Love. Unable to book space at EMI Studios at short notice, the group assembled at Olympic Sound Studios in Barnes, London, on this day to record the rhythm track. They mostly used unfamiliar instruments: John Lennon played harpsichord; Paul McCartney used a double bass; George Harrison played a violin; and Ringo Starr was on drums.The Beatles recorded 33 takes, but felt that take 10 was the best. A reduction mix was then made, with all instruments copied onto track one of a new four-track tape. Beatles Bible

1969: Television: John Lennon and Yoko Ono on The David Frost Show
John Lennon and Yoko Ono pre-recorded an appearance on The David Frost Show on this evening. More: http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/06/14/television-john-lennon-yoko-ono-david-frost-show/]Beatles Bible[/url]

1974:

During a Walls and Bridges planning session at the Record Plant Studios in New York, Al Coury, Capitol Record’s head of promotions in California, informs John Lennon that he has retrieved Phil Spector’s Rock ‘n’ Roll album tapes. Capitol had handed over $90,000 to Spector in order to get them back. Absolute Elsewhere
1976: The Beatles album "Rock 'N' Roll Music" was certified Gold. The Olde Disc Jockey’s Almanac

1996: Beatles producer, George Martin, is awarded a knighthood. Absolute Elsewhere

2013: In Manchester, Tennessee, 70-year-old Paul McCartney played 24 Beatles classics and seven Wings songs in a two-and-a-half-hour set for 80,000 fans at the 12th annual Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. The Olde Disc Jockey’s Almanac

Entire performance (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:49:59 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »

Workers at a London railway station open a tea chest addressed to the Beatles and find 12-year-old Carol Dryden, a fan who'd decided to mail herself to the group.

Crazy fan and so  young.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:26 AM »

June 15th

2002, A rare autographed copy of The Beatles’ album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band sold at auction for £34,000 ($57,800), more than five times the estimated price.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

June 16th

1966: The Beatles made a surprise live appearance on the UK television program Top of the Pops, performing ‘Paperback Writer’ and ‘Rain’. It became The Beatles' last live musical television appearance, with the sole exception of the June 1967 worldwide transmission of ‘All You Need Is Love’.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:36:33 AM »

June 17th

1964: The Beatles' final two shows in Melbourne, Australia took place on this day.

This was The Beatles' last of three consecutive nights of shows in the city's Festival Hall, Each night they gave two concerts, which were enjoyed by a total of 45,000 people.

Cameras from the Australian Channel 9 recorded the sixth and final show of the Melbourne leg of the world tour. It was screened on 1 July 1964 as an hour-long special, The Beatles Sing For Shell, named after the oil company which sponsored the broadcast.

Nine of The Beatles' Melbourne performances were included in the show: I Saw Her Standing There, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, Twist And Shout and Long Tall Sally. During Long Tall Sally, a male audience member rushed onto the stage to shake John Lennon's hand.

The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein had initially agreed to allow Channel 9 to show just 12 minutes of the performance. However, after watching the recording an hour after the show he had a change of heart and increased the limit to 20 minutes.

In the end 22 minutes of The Beatles were included, the rest of the hour being footage of Australian and international performers. The only song from the set not broadcast was This Boy. 
BeatlesArchives HQ (YouTube)

Full concert, including support acts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEDsJz9yQ8

updated 12/13/12

1965: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles completed work on the new Paul McCartney song ‘Yesterday’ with the overdubbing of an additional vocal track by McCartney and a string quartet. They also recorded ‘Act Naturally’ for Ringo's vocal contribution on the ‘Help!’ album and the song ‘Wait’, in four takes. ‘Wait’ will not be included on ‘Help!’, it was included on the following LP, ‘Rubber Soul’.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:22:27 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:20 AM »

June 18th

Happy Birthday Paul!

1942: Born on this day, Paul McCartney, The Beatles, Wings, solo. The most successful rock composer of all time. First met John Lennon on July 6th 1957 who was impressed that Paul could tune a guitar. With The Beatles he scored 21 US No.1 & 17 UK No.1 singles plus McCartney has scored over 30 US & UK solo Top 40 hit singles.

1964: Touring Australia The Beatles played at Sydney Stadium in Sydney. This was Paul McCartney’s 22nd birthday and after the show his guests included 17 girls who were winners of the Daily Mirrors “Why I would like to be a guest at a Beatles birthday party” competition.

1977: The Beatles 'Live At The Hollywood Bowl' went to No.1 on the UK album chart, the album featured recordings from 23rd August 1964 and 30th August 1965.

2010: John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song 'A Day In The Life' sold for $1.2m (£810,000) at an auction at Sotheby's in New York. The double-sided sheet of paper with notes written in felt marker and blue ink also contained some corrections and other notes penned in red ink.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:39:25 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:38 AM »

June 19th

1964: Touring Australia for the first and only time The Beatles played a second night at Sydney Stadium in Sydney.

1967: Having admitted to taking LSD four times during an interview with Life Magazine, Beatle Paul McCartney told The Daily Mirror that he didn’t regret that he'd spoken out and hoped that his fans would understand.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »

June 20th

1965: The Beatles begin a 14-day European tour with two performances at the Palais Des Sports in Paris, France. The Beatles' set list for this tour: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I'm a Loser’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Rock and Roll Music’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

2004: Organisers at a Paul McCartney gig hired three jets to spray dry ice into the clouds so it wouldn’t rain during the concert. The gig in Petersburg, Russia, was McCartney’s 3,000 concert appearance. He had performed 2,535 gigs with the Quarrymen and the Beatles, 140 gigs with Wings and 325 solo shows.

June 21st

1966: Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded from start to finish, a new John Lennon song ‘She Said She Said’. The song was reportedly based on a bizarre conversation that Lennon had with Peter Fonda while John and George Harrison were tripping on LSD.

1976: Touring North America for the first time Wings played the last dates of their 31-date tour with three nights at the Los Angeles Forum.

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »

Tomorrow June 22 50 Anniversary Of recording MY Bonnie.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 04:53:30 AM »

June 22

1964: The Beatles played their first ever show in New Zealand at Wellington Town Hall. The local Chief Constable refused a police escort for The Beatles leaving just two policemen to control over 5,000 fans.

1944: Born on this day, Peter Asher, Peter and Gordon, (1964 UK & US No.1 single 'World Without Love', written by Lennon & McCartney). Producer and Head of Apple Records in late 60's.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:31 AM »

June 23rd

1940: Born on this day, Stuart Sutcliffe, original bassist of The Beatles for eighteen months (January 1960 - June 1961). Sutcliffe was living in Hamburg, Germany at the time of his death, he died of a brain haemorrhage in an ambulance on the way to hospital on April 10th 1962, aged 21.

1966: The Beatles had their tenth consecutive UK No.1 single with 'Paperback Writer' / 'Rain'. The track is marked by the boosted bass guitar sound throughout, partly in response to John Lennon demanding to know why the bass on a certain Wilson Pickett record far exceeded the bass on any Beatles records. It was also cut louder than any other Beatles record, due to a new piece of equipment used in the mastering process.

1973: George Harrison started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Living In The Material World', his second US No.1.

1976: Paul McCartney and Wings played the last date on their Wings Over America tour at the Forum in Los Angeles.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:03:30 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »

June 23rd

1940: Born on this day, Stuart Sutcliffe, original bassist of The Beatles for eighteen months (January 1960 - June 1961). Sutcliffe was living in Hamburg, Germany at the time of his death, he died of a brain haemorrhage in an ambulance on the way to hospital on April 10th 1962, aged 22.

Just for the record: he was 21 when he died.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »

And also today Beatles arrived in Germany for 5 Days  Concert in Munich, Essen and Hamburg.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »

Oh no! Maybe I need a better website! Any suggestions?
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »

Oh no! Maybe I need a better website! Any suggestions?

take a blog by wordpress.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Page created in 2.549 seconds with 27 queries.