A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 80435 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 04:06:35 AM »

I'm going to give them another chance but please let me know if they're wrong again.

June 24th

1965: John Lennon's second book of poetry and drawings, 'A Spaniard In The Works', was published. The book consisted of nonsensical stories and drawings similar to the style of his 1964 book 'In His Own Write'. 

1989: Paul McCartney scored his seventh UK No.1 solo album with 'Flowers In The Dirt', featuring the single 'My Brave Face'.

Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »

45 Anniversary Of His Last Germany Tour in 1966
Today in Munich

The Beatles - Live Circus-Krone-Bau 1966 (Full Concert Not technically RARE)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 04:27:13 AM »

June 25th

1966: The Beatles started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Paperback Writer', the group's 12th US No.1. The track is marked by the boosted bass guitar sound throughout, partly in response to John Lennon demanding to know why the bass on a certain Wilson Pickett record far exceeded the bass on any Beatles records. It was also cut louder than any other Beatles record, due to a new piece of equipment used in the mastering process.

1967: 200 million people saw The Beatles perform 'All You Need Is Love', live via satellite as part of the TV global link- up, 'Our World', Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Graham Nash, Keith Moon and Gary Leeds provided backing vocals.

2009: A Sgt Pepper souvenir poster bearing the signatures of all four Beatles sold for $52,500 (£31,720) at a pop memorabilia auction in New York City. Other musical items that went under the hammer were a set of Bob Dylan's handwritten lyrics, which made $25,000 (£15,090) and a bass guitar owned by Kurt Cobain sold for $43,750 (£26,415).

The Beatles - All You Need is Love (HQ)

Original broadcast
The Beatles- All You Need is Love
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:47:57 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »

The Beatles - If I Needed Someone 25 June 1966

Today in Essen Gruga Halle

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »

June 26th

1964:During a world tour, The Beatles played two shows at Town Hall, Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand. The flight from Auckland to Dunedin was tense due the receipt of an anonymous threat that a "germ bomb" had been placed on board the aircraft.

1975:Paul McCartney's version of the theme to ITV's UK weekday soap 'Crossroads', was aired for the first time.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:29:39 AM »

June 27th

1964: Peter and Gordon went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the Lennon & McCartney song 'A World Without Love', also a No.1 in the UK. Peter Asher went on to become James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt's manager.

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles recorded seven takes of ‘Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey’ for their forthcoming White album.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:46 AM »

June 28th

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles recorded ‘Good Night’, John Lennon’s lullaby for his 5-year-old son Julian with Ringo singing the lead vocal. The track appeared on the White Album.

1975: Wings went to No.1 on the UK chart with the album 'Venus And Mars', featuring the US No.1 single 'Listen What The Man Said'. 

1980: Paul McCartney's ‘Coming Up’ became one of the few 'live' recordings to reach the top of Billboard's Hot 100. American disc jockeys preferred it to the studio version on the flip side of the record.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 03:49:24 AM »

June 29th

1964: Touring Australia The Beatles played two shows at the Festival Hall, Brisbane. Over 8,000 fans had waited until after midnight to greet the group as they landed at Brisbane Airport.

1985: John Lennon’s 1965 Rolls-Royce Phantom V limousine, with psychedelic paintwork, sold for a record sum of $3,006,385, (£1,768,462) at a Sotheby's auction in New York.

1996: Record producer George Martin received a Knighthood, also music promoter Harvey Goldsmith became an MBE and Van Morrison an OBE.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »

June 29th

1996: Record producer George Martin received a Knighthood, also music promoter Harvey Goldsmith became an MBE and Van Morrison an OBE.

Just call him Sir George Martin...Beatles producer knighted: (6/15/96) Beatles producer George Martin has been knighted. He was one of 1,041 notables from the entertainment, sporting, cultural and political fields named on Queen Elizabeth's birthday honours list. The list was drawn up by Prime Minister John Major's office on behalf of the queen. In an interview on Sky TV, Martin said: "My first reaction when I heard about it was one of astonishment. I had no idea...." Martin added that he was, of course, very pleased saying that he was "knocked out. The 70-year-old Sir George, as he now becomes, produced the Beatles' records from the first hit, "Love Me Do," in 1962, to the "Beatles Anthology," over the past few months. None of the three surviving Beatles has received a knighthood, though Paul McCartney had been mentioned as a possible candidate. The queen honored the quartet in 1965 as MBEs, or Members of the Order of British Empire.

yerblues1234

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »

In 1964 Beatles Concert in Brisbane, Australia. End of tour. Disturbances in Brisbane. Fans attack those who throw eggs and vegetables.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »

In 1964 Beatles Concert in Brisbane, Australia. End of tour. Disturbances in Brisbane. Fans attack those who throw eggs and vegetables.

They should have just settled down and made omelettes.  ;)
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »

They should have just settled down and made omelettes.  ;)

LOL!

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:45 AM »

June 30th

1966: The Beatles played the first of three concerts at the Nippon Budokan Hall, Japan. The concert was filmed with The Beatles wearing black suits. The following day's first performance was also filmed; with The Beatles wearing white suits. There was a strict police presence with 3,000 police observing each concert played in front of 10,000 fans.

1973: George Harrison knocked Paul McCartney from the top of the US singles chart with 'Give Me Love, Give Me Peace On Earth'. His second US No.1, a No.8 hit in the UK.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »

July 1st

1962: Gene Vincent plus up and coming local group The Beatles appeared at The Cavern Club, Liverpool. 

1963: The Beatles recorded their next single at EMI Studios, London, ‘She Loves You’ and ‘I'll Get You’, completing the two songs in less than four hours. Released in August this year, ‘She Loves You’ went on to become The Beatles' first million-selling single.

1967: The Beatles started a 15 week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', the group's 10th US No.1 album.

1969: John Lennon, Yoko Ono and family were involved in a car accident in Golspie, Scotland. Both John and Yoko needed hospital treatment. Lennon later had the car crushed into a cube and exhibited it on his lawn at Tittenhurst Park.

2002: Six postage stamps designed by Sir Paul McCartney went on sale in The Isle Of Man. With proceeds from their sale going to the Adopt-A- Minefield charity.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »

July 2nd

1969: Working at Abbey Road Paul McCartney recorded ‘Her Majesty’. Then Paul, George, and Ringo record 15 takes of ‘Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight’. John Lennon was absent, in hospital in Golspie, Scotland, following a car accident the previous day.

2001: Liverpool Airport at Speke was renamed John Lennon Airport. Yoko Ono was present to unveil a new logo that included the late Beatle's famous self- portrait and the words, 'Above Us Only Sky' taken from his 'Imagine' album.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »

July 3rd

1965: The Beatles played the final night of a two week European tour at the Plaza de Toros Monumental in Barcelona, Spain.

1967: A private party was held at the Speakeasy Club in London, England for the Monkees. Guests included: John Lennon, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Dusty Springfield, Eric Clapton, Lulu and all the members from Manfred Mann, The Who and Procol Harum.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 04:42:23 AM »

July 4th

1966: The Beatles played two shows at Rizal Memorial Football Stadium, Manila, in the Philippines to over 80,000 fans. The Beatles failed to appear at a palace reception hosted by President Marcos' family, who were not informed that the Beatles had declined their invitation. The Philippine media misrepresent this as a deliberate snub and when Brian Epstein tries to make a televised statement, his comments are disrupted by static. The next day, as The Beatles make their way to the airport they were greeted by angry mobs, the Philippine government had retaliated by refusing police protection for The Beatles.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 04:07:30 AM »

July 5th

1963: The Beatles played at the Plaza Ballroom in Dudley in the West Midlands. Appearing with The Beatles - Denny and the Diplomats, led by Denny Laine, who went on to join the Moody Blues and eventually, Paul McCartney's group Wings.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

led by Denny Laine,

Eighteen years old at the time!

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »

London premiere of "Live And Let Die".

Live And Let Die - 1973 - Wings ( insert inédit )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Page created in 1.057 seconds with 27 queries.