A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 90449 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »

July 6th
Today should be a holiday!

1957: John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time at The Woolton Church Parish Fete where The Quarry Men were appearing. As The Quarry Men were setting up for their evening performance, McCartney eager to impress Lennon picked up a guitar and played ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran) and ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ (Gene Vincent). Lennon was impressed, and even more so when McCartney showed Lennon and Eric Griffiths how to tune their guitars, something they'd been paying someone else to do for them.

1964: The Beatles film 'A Hard Days Night' premiered at The Pavilion in London.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 04:32:19 AM »

July 6th
Today should be a holiday!

1957: John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time at The Woolton Church Parish Fete where The Quarry Men were appearing. As The Quarry Men were setting up for their evening performance, McCartney eager to impress Lennon picked up a guitar and played ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran) and ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ (Gene Vincent). Lennon was impressed, and even more so when McCartney showed Lennon and Eric Griffiths how to tune their guitars, something they'd been paying someone else to do for them.

3:49

The Rutles All You Need Is Cash: Part 1

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 04:15:41 AM »

July 7th

1940: Born on this day, Richard Starkey, (Ringo Starr), drums, vocals, Rory Storm, The Beatles. Sang lead vocals on one track on most Beatles albums, (The Beatles scored 21 US No.1 & 17 UK No.1 singles). Solo (1974 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'You're Sixteen' plus 9 other US Top 40 hits). Ringo Starr and his all Star Band, (featuring; Howard Jones, Ian Hunter, Peter Frampton, Greg Lake).

1962: The Beatles played at Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight, in Birkenhead. The show was a dance for the local golf club, the capacity of the hall was 450, but 500 people squeezed in to hear and see The Beatles.

1969: George Harrison recorded his new song ‘Here Comes the Sun’ with just two other Beatles, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr at Abbey Road in London. John Lennon was absent recovering from a car crash in Scotland.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 07:18:19 AM »

a car crash in Scotland.

Was that Scotland or Denmark? I'm confused.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:22 AM »

While holidaying in Scotland with Yoko Ono, her daughter Kyoko and his son Julian, John Lennon crashed his white British Leyland Austin Maxi car in Golspie near Loch Eriboll in the Highlands.

Lennon was a notoriously bad driver who had rarely been behind the wheel since passing his test in 1965. He was poor at navigating roads and often failed to notice other traffic.

The roads around Golspie were narrow, and Lennon lost control of the car, driving it into a roadside ditch. He, Ono and Kyoko sustained cuts to the face and Ono's back was injured.

They were taken to Golspie's Lawson Memorial Hospital where Lennon was given 17 facial stitches, Ono 14 in her forehead, and Kyoko four.

Julian Lennon was treated for shock but was otherwise unhurt. He was taken to stay with Lennon's Aunt Mater in Durness, around 50 miles away, before his mother Cynthia took him back to London the following day. When she arrived at the hospital to demand an explanation from Lennon he refused to see her.

Lennon remained in hospital for five days. He later told reporters, "If you're going to have a car crash, try to arrange for it to happen in the Highlands. The hospital there was just great."

Although Lennon was never intending to attend, 1 July was the first official day of recording for what became the Abbey Road album. The crash further delayed his return to London, and after being discharged from hospital he spent three days at home before finally rejoining The Beatles on 9 July.

Yoko Ono suffered worse injuries in the crash than Lennon, and was pregnant at the time. Keen to keep a close eye on her wellbeing, he arranged for Harrods to deliver a double bed to the studio, and had a microphone suspended above it for her to add her thoughts during the sessions that followed.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:54:08 AM by Badgirl66 »

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 04:07:10 AM »

July 8th

1966: The Beatles released the ‘Nowhere Man’ 4 track EP in the UK, which included: ‘Drive My Car’, ‘Michelle’ and ‘You Won't See Me’.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 04:45:11 AM »

July 9th:

1969: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles recorded ‘Maxwell's Silver Hammer.’ John Lennon returned to the studio after recovering from a car crash in Scotland, and a bed was installed in the Abbey Road studio for Yoko, who was pregnant, and who had been more seriously injured in the car accident. 

1972: Paul McCartney and Wings kicked off a 26-date tour appearing at the French town Chateauvillon. The band travelled on a double Decker London bus with psychedelic interior.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 03:57:56 AM »

July 10th

1964: 200,000 Liverpudlians took to the streets to celebrate The Beatles return to Liverpool for the northern premiere of the group's first film 'A Hard Days Night.' The group were honored in a public ceremony in front of Liverpool Town Hall.

2008: The drum skin used on the cover of The Beatles' Sgt Pepper album sold for £541,250 ($1m) at Christie's Memorabilia auction in London. Other items sold included John Lennon's lyrics for ‘Give Peace a Chance’ which sold for £421,250 ($832,257) and a pair of tinted prescription sunglasses belonging to Lennon, which he wore for the cover of the single ‘Mind Games’, sold for £39,650 ($79,000). A rare 1/4 inch reel to-reel master tape recording of the Jimi Hendrix Experience performing at the Woburn Music Festival in 1968 went for £48,050 ($95,000), a Marshall amplifier used by Hendrix in concert fetched £25,000 ($50,000) and a pair of his stripy flared trousers made £20,000 ($49,000).
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:22 AM »

July 11th

1964: The Beatles appeared live on the ABC Television program "Lucky Stars (Summer Spin)", performing ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Long Tall Sally’, ‘Things We Said Today’ and ‘You Can't Do That’. To avoid the crowd of fans waiting for them, The Beatles arrived at the Teddington Studio Centre by boat, traveling down the River Thames.

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 06:01:19 AM »

Ringo publicly admits that he would be in a group with John, George and Klaus, but would not want it to be called the Beatles.

In Liverpool, after an eight-month closure, the new Cavern Club in Matthew Street re-opens.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47:12 AM »

July 12th

1964: The Beatles appeared at the Hippodrome Theatre in Brighton with The Fourmost and the Shubdubs (whose drummer, Jimmy Nicol, would later fill in for an ill Ringo Starr on The Beatles' world tour). Also in the US The Ed Sullivan Show re-broadcast The Beatles' first live television appearance on the Sullivan show (from February 9). On the way to tonight's gig George Harrison was involved in a minor crash in his brand new E-Type Jaguar in Kings Road, Fulham, London. Passing pedestrians collected bits of broken glass as souvenirs.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »

July 12th

1964: The Beatles appeared at the Hippodrome Theatre in Brighton with The Fourmost and the Shubdubs (whose drummer, Jimmy Nicol, would later fill in for an ill Ringo Starr on The Beatles' world tour).

It's the other way round. The Beatles had already played with Jimmy on a part of their tour in early June of that year.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:42 AM »

It's the other way round. The Beatles had already played with Jimmy on a part of their tour in early June of that year.

Thanks, Cor!
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »

On the way to tonight's gig George Harrison was involved in a minor crash in his brand new E-Type Jaguar in Kings Road, Fulham, London. Passing pedestrians collected bits of broken glass as souvenirs.

very bad car driver

-----------------------------------------------

The Beatles were given three prestigious Ivor Novello awards on this day in recognition of their outstanding achievements in 1965.

Yesterday was judged to be the most outstanding song of the year. The other two awards were for sales: We Can Work It Out was the top-selling single of 1965, while Help! was the second-best selling.

Paul and Wings' concert at Juan Les Pins, France ("Wings Over Europe 1972 Tour").

In the UK, BBC2 premieres the MPL film documentary "Blankit's First Show".

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »

July 13th

1965: Paul McCartney was presented with five Ivor Novello Awards at a lunch party at The Savoy, London. John Lennon refused to attend; Paul was 40 minutes late after he had forgotten about the engagement.

1969: Over 100 US radio stations banned The Beatles new single 'The Balled Of John and Yoko' due to the line 'Christ, you know it ain't easy', calling it offensive.

1985: At 12.01 Status Quo started the 'Live Aid' extravaganza, held between Wembley Stadium, London and The JFK Stadium, Philadelphia. The cream of the world's biggest rock stars took part in the worldwide event, raising over £40million. TV pictures beamed to over 1.5bn people in 160 countries made it the biggest live broadcast ever known. Artists who appeared included Paul McCartney, Phil Collins, The Who, U2, David Bowie and Mick Jagger, Queen, Tina Turner, The Cars, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams, Hall and Oates, Lionel Richie and Led Zeppelin.

1999: Paul McCartney displayed 73 paintings at the Kunstforum Lyz gallery in the German town of Siegen. McCartney had been painting for the past 16 years (since he turned 40).
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »

1981 Premiere in UK Time Bandits  Fantasy Movie Co Producer George Harrison Music :Dream Away

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 05:10:01 AM »

July 14th

1962: The Beatles played their first ever gig in Wales when they appeared at The Regent Dansette in Rhyl. Tickets cost five shillings, ($0.70).

1980: Allen Klein ex manager of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones began serving a two-month prison sentence for falsifying tax returns.

2007: A pair of glasses worn by former Beatle John Lennon sparked a bidding war after being offered for sale online. The circular sunglasses were worn by Lennon during the Beatles 1966 tour of Japan, where the band played some of their last ever live dates. Anonymous rival bidders had pushed the price as high as £750,000 at online auction house 991.com.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 04:26:15 AM »

July 15th

1958: John Lennon's mother Julia was killed by a car driven by an off-duty drunken police officer named Eric Clague (Clague was later acquitted of the offence). John was 17 at the time.

2002: Sir Paul McCartney was named the highest-earning music star of the year so far after selling tickets worth £33.9m during his recent US tour.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

July 16th

1969: During recordings at Abbey Road studio’s in London The Beatles worked on two new George Harrison songs, ‘Here Comes The Sun’ and 'Something.’
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2011, 04:15:55 AM »

July 17th

1967: The Beatles single ‘All You Need Is Love’ / ‘Baby You’re A Rich Man’ (originally called ‘One Of The Beautiful People’) was released in the US. It became The Beatles 14th US No.1.

1968: The animated film 'Yellow Submarine' premiered at The London Pavilion. The Beatles made a cameo appearance in the film but didn't supply their own voices for the characters.
Kelley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 27 queries.