A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 79898 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 03:52:09 AM »

July 18th

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles recorded 'Cry Baby Cry' and 'Helter Skelter.' One take of 'Helter Skelter' lasted 27' 11'', the longest Beatle recording ever.

1969: During sessions at Abbey Road studios, London, Ringo Starr recorded his vocal to ‘Octopus’s Garden.’

Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

1976 TV Premiere for Yellow Submarine in  the German TV Channel ZDF

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2011, 05:04:43 AM »

July 19th

1967: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'All You Need Is Love' the group's 12th UK No.1 single.

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/upload/charts_uk_july_67_6270.JPG

1975: Paul McCartney and Wings went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Listen To What The Man Said', his fourth US No.1, a No.6 hit in the UK. Wings also had the US No.1 album chart with 'Venus And Mars'. Paul McCartney's fourth No.1 album since The Beatles.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »

In London, the Beatles' films "A Hard Day's Night", "Help!", "Yellow Submarine" and "Let It Be" are screened at the Classic Cinema in Piccadilly.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »

July 20th

1963: During a UK tour The Beatles played the second night at The Ritz Ballroom in Rhyl, North Wales. The Rolling Stones played at The Corn Exchange in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

1968: Jane Asher announced on the national British TV show, Dee Time, that her engagement to Paul McCartney was off. Paul reportedly was watching at a friend's home and was surprised by the news. She was said to have inspired many of McCartney's songs, such as 'All My Loving', 'And I Love Her', and 'We Can Work It Out'. Jane went on to have a career in films and television as well as becoming a successful author and business woman.

1999: Paul McCartney had an upcoming single bootlegged when ‘I Got Stung’ was taken from a BBC broadcast and distributed over the Internet. The track was from his forthcoming release ‘Run Devil Run’ album.’
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 04:57:35 AM »

July 21st

1969: The Beatles started work on the John Lennon song ‘Come Together’ at Abbey Road studios in London.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:43:02 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »

July 22nd

1963: The Beatles kicked of a UK tour with Gerry and the Pacemakers and Tommy Quickly, at the Odeon Cinema, Weston-Super-Mare.

1967: This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale', Procol Harum, No.4, 'She'd Rather Be With Me', The Turtles, No.3, 'It Must Be Him', Vikki Car', No.2, 'Alternate Title', The Monkees and No.1, 'All You Need Is Love', The Beatles.

Beat Club - Hit Parade - 1967-07-22

1971: John and Yoko spent the second day filming the ‘Imagine’ promotional film at their home in Tittenhurst Park Ascot, England. Today's footage included the morning walk on the grounds though the mist and John Lennon singing ‘Imagine’ in the white room on his white piano.

1972: Paul and Linda McCartney were arrested in Sweden for possession of drugs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:40:57 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 05:44:46 AM »

^^^
Oh, I see. I would correct my post but then your post wouldn't make sense. But consider it corrected.  :)
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2011, 03:41:28 AM »

July 23rd

1964: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Hard Days Night', the group's fifth UK No.1.
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/upload/beatles_harddaysnight_gum_5812.JPG

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles recorded ‘Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey’ for their forthcoming White Album.

1989: Ringo Starr kicked off his first tour since the break-up of the Beatles with a show in Dallas. His backup band included guitarist Joe Walsh, organist Billy Preston and Bruce Springsteen's sax man Clarence Clemons.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:22 AM »

July 24th

1967: All four Beatles and their manager Brian Epstein signed a petition printed in The Times newspaper calling for the legalisation of marijuana.

1967: The Beatles meet Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, whose lecture on Transcendental Meditation (TM) they had gone to hear at the Hilton Hotel in London. TM involved the silent repetition of a word or sound to produce a state of mind that reduces stress, calms the mind, and energizes both mind and body. The Maharishi invited The Beatles to travel with him to Bangor, in North Wales, to attend more lectures. They accepted his invitation.

1969: Paul McCartney recorded a demo of his new song ‘Come and Get It’ at Abbey Road studios in London. McCartney gave the song to The Iveys, (soon to become known as Badfinger). The song was later used as the theme for the movie The Magic Christian. The Beatles also recorded ‘Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard’ for their forthcoming Abbey Road album.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »

July 25th

1962: The Beatles played at the Cavern Club in Liverpool at lunchtime; at night they performed again at the Cavern Club, and then they appeared at the Cabaret Club, Liverpool. The Cabaret Club booking is Brian Epstein's attempt to get The Beatles into the cabaret circuit, but it is a miserable failure with no response from the audience.

1964: The Beatles third album 'A Hard Days Night' started a twenty-one week run at the top of the UK charts.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 05:51:17 AM »

July 26th

1962: The Beatles appeared at Cambridge Hall, Southport, Lancashire supporting of Joe Brown & the Bruvvers.

2006: The guitar on which Sir Paul McCartney learned his first chords sold for £330,000 at an auction at London's Abbey Road Studios. The Rex acoustic guitar helped McCartney persuade John Lennon to let him join his band, The Quarrymen, in 1957.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »

1968: Night: Paul and John give the final touches to "Hey Jude", at Paul's home studio.

Opening party of the Vesubio Club. Paul attends and plays an advance pressing of "Hey Jude"/"Revolution".

1971: In New York, the first rehearsals for the Concert for Bangla Desh are held at the Nola Studios.

1977: Filming of the mockumentary of the Rutles.

1978: Ringo Starr At the Sweet Silence Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark. Recording: either of: "On The Rebound"; "She's So In Love"; "As Far As We Can Go"; "One Way Love Affair". Producer: Russ Ballard; Engineer: David De Vore.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »

Apple stores close.

George and Ravi Shankar hold a press conference to announce the Concert for Bangla Desh at Madison Square Garden.

The film "The Concert For Bangla Desh" opens to the general public at the Rialto Cinema.

John's application to remain in the US as a permanent resident is approved at a special hearing. Judge Ira Fieldsteel officially hands John his "green card".

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »

July 27th

1963: During a UK tour The Beatles played the last night of a six night run at The Odeon Cinema, Weston-super-Mare. The Beatles spent the day with photographer Dezo Hoffman, who took photos and 8mm movies of The Beatles at their hotel, on the beach dressed in Victorian bathing suits, and go-karting.

1974: Wings started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Band On The Run', featuring the title-track, 'Jet' and the US hit 'Helen Wheels'. The album sold over 6 million copies world-wide
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 06:47:02 AM »

July 28th

1964: On their second visit to Sweden, The Beatles played two shows at an ice hockey arena, the Johanneshovs Isstadion, Stockholm. During the first show, both Paul McCartney and John Lennon received mild electrical shocks from ungrounded microphones. Supporting acts included The Kays, The Moonlighters, and The Streaplers.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:55 AM »

1965: The Beatles second feature film 'Help!' had its UK premiere at The Pavilion in London.

Beatles: movie help (footage of the world premier july 29 1965)

1966: Datebook published Maureen Cleave’s interview with John Lennon in which he said ‘We’re bigger than Jesus now.” American Christian’s reacted with outrage, organising ‘Beatle bonfires’ burning the group's records.

1968: The first recording session of The Beatles seven-minute epic 'Hey Jude' took place at Abbey Road studios London. The Paul McCartney song was written about John Lennon's son Julian.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 04:13:11 AM »

July 30th

1966: The Beatles started a five week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Yesterday...And Today', the group's 8th No.1 album.

1968: The Beatles closed their Apple Boutique in London after seven months of business, giving away all the stock to passers by and Apple staff.

1969: The Beatles continued working on their forthcoming album Abbey Road, recording overdubs on ‘Come Together’, ‘Polythene Pam/She Came In Through the Bathroom Window’, ‘You Never Give Me Your Money’ and ‘Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight’. The Beatles began to assemble the "medley" that would make up side two of the album. Paul McCartney told tape operator John Kurlander to discard ‘Her Majesty’, but Kurlander tacked it onto the end of the tape, about 20 seconds after the end of ‘The End’. Hearing it like this, Paul decides to keep it, including the lengthy silence preceding it.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »

1971 GEORGE HARRISON BANGLA DESH  Single appear in England.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »

July 31st

1968: Working at Trident studios in London, England, (with its 8-track equipment, EMI was still using 4-track recorders), The Beatles recorded four takes of ‘Hey Jude’.

August 1st

1963: The first 'Beatles Monthly' was published. A magazine devoted to the group, it continued until 1969 and at its peak was selling over 350,000 copies a month.

1964: The Beatles scored their fifth US No.1 single in seven months when 'A Hard Day's Night' went to the top of the charts. The group had now spent seventeen weeks at the No.1 position in this year.

1971: The Concert For Bangla Desh, organised by George Harrison to aid victims of famine and war in Bangla Desh took place at New York's Madison Sq Garden. Featuring Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Ravi Shankar and members from Badfinger. Harrison had to shell out his own money to maintain the fund after legal problems froze all proceeds. The triple album release (the second in a row by Harrison), hit number 1 in the UK and No.2 in the US and received the Grammy Award for Album of the Year.

2007: John Lennon's "granny" sunglasses were snapped up by a British collector at auction. The sunglasses, from one of the last Beatles concerts, were expected to fetch around £1m, but auction bosses refused to say what the actual figure was. Lennon gave the gold-rimmed glasses to his Japanese interpreter in Tokyo in 1966, and the translator removed the lenses when Lennon died.

Kelley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 27 queries.