A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 89641 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »

Please Please Me LP, 20th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express).

Concert at the St. Helier Springfield Ballroom, Jersey.

Beatles VI number 1, fifth week (US Billboard).

5th National Jazz and Blues Festival at the Richmond Athletic Association Grounds. The festival is filmed by Subafilms Limited, in conjunction with Leon Mirrel of Selmur Productions.

George and Pattie fly to San Francisco where Pattie's sister Jenny had been living.

"Disc and Music Echo" publishes an article by Derek Taylor, on his visit to Haight-Ashbury with George.

Studio 2. 3:00-7:45pm. Tape copying: "Hey Jude" (of remix mono 1).

Studio 2. 8:45pm-5:30am. Recording: "Not Guilty" (takes 1-46). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Ken Scott; 2nd Engineer: John Smith.

Studio 2 (control room only). 2:30-6:00pm. Stereo mixing: "Come Together" (remixes 1-10, from take 9).

Studio 3. 6:00-12:00pm. Recording: "Ending" (working title of "The End") (overdub onto take 7). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick/Phil McDonald; 2nd Engineer: John Kurlander.

"Melody Maker" publishs Part Two of it's interview with Ringo while on the set of the movie "Blindman".

Paul and Wings' concert at Tovoli Gardens, Kungliga Hallen, Stockholm, Sweden ("Wings Over Europe 1972 Tour").

In Kassel, West Germany, Yoko's exhibition "Documenta 5" continues.

"Got To Get You Into My Life" number 3 (US Billboard).

Wings At The Speed Of Sound number 3 (US Billboard).
 Wings At The Speed Of Sound number 14 (UK Record Retailer).

"Let 'Em In" number 4 (US Billboard).

"Let 'Em In" number 30 (UK Record Retailer).

Rock 'N' Roll Music number 6 (US Billboard).
 Rock 'N' Roll Music number 20 (UK Record Retailer).

"Back In The USSR" number 26 (UK Record Retailer)

"Here Comes The Sun", by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, number 27 (UK Record Retailer).

The Beatles Tapes number 45 (UK Record Retailer).

Day Four of Double Fantasy recordings: "I'm Stepping Out"; "Borrowed Time" and "Gone From This Place".

In the US, the Beatles' newsreel film "This Is The Week That Beatlemania Was" screened in limited cinema release.

Santa Barbara Sound studio, Santa Barbara, US. Mixing for LP Old Wave. Producer: Jim Nipar, assisted by Terry Nelson. Ringo and Joe Walsh are in attendance.

New York's Museum of Broadcasting showcase Beatles achieve clips documentary "The Beatles Early Days" and several other films from the museum's personal collection, including the "Ed Sullivan Show" appearances and excerpts from their Washington, D.C. concert on February 11, 1964.

Abbey Road's Number Two studio presents "The Beatles At Abbey Road", 3 times a day.

Linda's "Photographs" exhibition is shown at the Barry Stern galleries in Paddington, New South Wales, Australia.

The "Art Of The Beatles" Exhibition, portraying 30 years of the group in the form of cartoons, paintings, photographs, album covers, lithographs and sculptures, continues.

The "Beatle City" exhibition opens at the West End marketplace in Dallas, Texas.

US album release: Knebworth: The Album (Polydor 847 042-1), featuring the two tracks "Coming Up" and "Hey Jude" from Paul's concert on June 30, 1990.

Ringo and his All-Starr band perform at the California Mid State Fair, Paso Robles, California ("Return To Ameria Tour").

Ringo and his All-Starr Band perform at Chastain Park Amphitheater, Atlanta, Georgia ("North America tour").

At the Whatinthewhathe? Studios, Ringo continues work on the track "Good News". Former Stray Cats member Lee Rocker adds a "slap-bass" track to the song.

Ringo and his Fourth All-Starr Band in concert at The Helsingin Jaahalli, Helsinki, Finland ("1998 Summer Tour").

The photo exhibition entitled "Linda McCartney's Sixties" continues at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.

Ringo and his All-Starr Band perform at the Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2011, 04:13:50 AM »

August 8th

1966: In response to John Lennon's remark about The Beatles being bigger than Jesus, The South African Broadcasting Corporation banned all Beatles records. Also on this day The Beatles LP Revolver was released in the US, the bands seventh album featured: ‘Taxman’, ‘Eleanor Rigby’, ‘I'm Only Sleeping’, ‘Here, There and Everywhere’, ‘She Said She Said’, ‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ and ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’. It spent 77 weeks on the Billboard chart peaking at No.1.

1969: The photo session for the cover of The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album took place on the crossing outside Abbey Road studios. Photographer Iain McMillan, balanced on a step-ladder in the middle of the road took six shots of John, Ringo, Paul, and George walking across the zebra crossing while a policeman held up the traffic. The band then returned to the studio and recorded overdubs on ‘The End’, ‘I Want You (She's So Heavy)’ and ‘Oh! Darling’.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2011, 04:36:49 AM »

August 9th

1968: After the other Beatles had gone home for the evening (2.00 am), Paul McCartney stayed behind and recorded ‘Mother Nature's Son’, taping 25 takes at Abbey Road studios. The song was included on the ‘White Album.’
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »

August 10th

1964: The Beatles had four singles re-released in the US: ‘Do You Want To Know A Secret’, ‘Please, Please Me’, ‘Love Me Do’ and 'Twist And Shout.’
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2011, 06:53:05 AM »

Mary McCartney -Sam Aboud first Son with Husband Simon Aboud was born in London in 2008
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:30:11 AM by Badgirl66 »

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »

August 11th

1964: The Beatles started recording their fourth album (‘Beatles For Sale’, not yet titled), at EMI studios in London, England.

1966: At a press conference held at The Astor Towers Hotel in Chicago, John Lennon apologised for his remarks that The Beatles were “more popular than Jesus". Lennon told reporters “Look, I wasn’t saying The Beatles are better than God or Jesus, I said ‘Beatles’ because it’s easy for me to talk about The Beatles. I could have said ‘TV’ or ‘Cinema’, ‘Motorcars’ or anything popular and would have got away with it…”

August 12th

1960: Pete Best auditioned to become The Silver Beatles' drummer and was asked to travel to Hamburg in Germany for the bands next set of dates. Before leaving for Hamburg, The Silver Beatles changed their name to simply, "The Beatles". 

1964: The Beatles first film ‘A Hard Days Night’ opened in 500 American cinemas to rave reviews.

I now declare this bridge open!

1966: The Beatles performed two shows at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois. This was the first stop on what would turn out to be The Beatles' final US tour. Support acts were the Remains, Bobby Hebb, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:58:28 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2011, 04:15:56 AM »

August 13th

1965: The Beatles arrived at Kennedy International Airport for a tour of North America. The set list for the tour was ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's in Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, ‘I'm Down’ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man.’ The tour was not a happy one for The Beatles, John Lennon took to screaming off-microphone obscenities at the audiences.

1966: 'Revolver' The Beatles seventh album release in three years started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK charts. It spent a total of 34 week's on the UK chart and was also a US No.1.

1971: John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »

August 14th

1962, Unhappy with drummer Pete Best's role in The Beatles Brian Epstein and the other three members decide to sack him. Best played his last gig the following night at The Cavern, Liverpool. Ringo Starr who was nearing the end of a three-month engagement with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes at a Butlin's holiday camp received a telephone call from John Lennon, asking him to join The Beatles. Ringo gave Rory Storm three days notice and on August 18, appeared as a member of The Beatles for the first time.

1965: The Beatles taped an appearance for CBS-TV's ‘The Ed Sullivan Show’ at Studio 50, New York City. They performed ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘I'm Down’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Yesterday’, and ‘Help!’ Also today, The Beatles fifth album 'Help!' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK charts.

1985: Michael Jackson won a bid over Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney to secure the ATV Music Publishing catalogue. At $47.5m he gained the rights to more than 250 songs written by Lennon and McCartney. McCartney had been negotiating with Yoko Ono, who had decided to withdraw her side of the deal because of ‘astrological’ reasons.

2001: A pizza-stained piece of paper signed by three of the four Beatles sold for $48,000 (£17,441) to an anonymous collector at an auction in Melbourne. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison all signed the paper during their 1964 tour of Australia. Drummer Ringo Starr had laryngitis and was not on the tour. A fan managed to get the autographs while the band was staying in a hotel in Adelaide.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2011, 04:03:31 AM »

1965: The Beatles set a new world record for the largest attendance at a pop concert when they played in front of 55,600 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City. Sharing the bill with The Beatles; Brenda Holloway, The King Curtis Band, The Young Rascals and Sounds Incorporated. The Beatles were paid $160,000 for the show, the set list: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, and ‘I'm Down’. Two of the Rolling Stones were among the audience, Mick Jagger and Keith Richard and later that evening; Bob Dylan visited The Beatles at their hotel.

The Beatles Live At Shea Stadium

1966: During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the D.C. Stadium in Washington DC to over 32,000 fans. Tickets cost $3. Five members of the Ku Klux Klan, led by the Imperial Wizard of Maryland, picketed the concert.

2002: A memorial to John Lennon was unveiled in the remote Scottish village of Durness where Lennon had spent his holidays from age seven to fifteen. The lyrics from 'In My Life' had been inscribed on three stones.

2007: Sixteen solo John Lennon albums were made available to download on iTunes for the first time. A deal was approved by the late Beatle's widow Yoko Ono following a lengthy legal battle between the band's label Apple Corps and Apple Inc, which owned Tunes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:32:33 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 04:16:08 AM »

Just a little note regarding Ringo's bass drum head.  When he joined The Beatles, they had not yet adopted their Drop-T logo.  Ringo's drum head looked like this at The Cavern Club on 22 August 1962:

In late January 1963, Paul came up with these sketches for a Beatles bass drum logo...

Tex O'Hara, a Liverpool signwriter, was enlisted to design a Beatles drum logo based upon Paul's sketches.  The result was this, seen at The Beatles' performance at The Teddington Studio Center on 17 February 1963...

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 04:28:51 AM »

Right.  On 14 April 1963, The Beatles were still using the Tex O'Hara drum logo...

The Drop-T Logo made its first appearance on 12 May 1963 at the Alpha Television Studios...

I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2011, 03:15:42 AM »

August 16th

1962: Brian Epstein told Pete Best that the other Beatles wanted him out of the group, and that he was being replaced. Epstein then asked Best to perform with The Beatles that night at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester, Cheshire. Pete Best does not show up, drummer Johnny Hutchinson of The Big Three filled in the temporary vacancy.

1966:
During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia playing their set during a huge electric storm.

My sister had a ticket just like that but never got to use it!

1968: Working at Abbey Road studios, The Beatles recorded 14 takes of the new George Harrison song ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’, taking the song from its early acoustic version into an electric version.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:17:15 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 05:09:59 AM »

1967-The first press screening of How I Won The War, the film starring John, was held in London.
1976-The Wings album Band On The Run is issued in the Soviet Union on the Melodiya label.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:31:07 AM by Badgirl66 »

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »

August 17th

1960: The Beatles begin their first Hamburg engagement at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany, playing the first of 48 nights at the Club. The owner, Bruno Koschmider, asked The Beatles to "Mach Shau", or really put on a show, which led to the band screaming, shouting, and leaping about the stage and sometimes playing lying on the floor. John Lennon once appeared wearing only his underwear and on another occasion, wearing a toilet seat around his neck. The Beatles lodged in a single room behind the screen of a nearby movie house.

1964: Glasgow council in Scotland announced that all boys and men with Beatle styled haircuts would have to wear bathing caps after a committee was told that hair from ‘Beatle-cuts’ was clogging the pools filters.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »

Bruno the Clown of the Reeperbahn

1966-Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada.

At a press conference before the show, John aroused another controversy by expressing his support for American draft-dodgers who had fled over the border into Canada to escape being sent to Vietnam.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:52:40 AM by Badgirl66 »

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2011, 04:05:32 AM »

August 18th

1962: Ringo Starr made his debut with The Beatles at the horticultural society Dance, Birkenhead, England, having had a two-hour rehearsal in preparation. This was the first appearance of The Beatles as the world would come to know them: John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

1964: Over 9,000 frenzied fans met The Beatles as they arrived in San Francisco, to begin an American tour. The Beatles were driven into a protective fence enclosure so that photographers could take pictures. As the 9,000 fans pressed against the fencing, it gave way, with The Beatles managing to get out split-seconds before it came crashing down.

1965: During a US tour The Beatles appeared at Atlanta Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia to a sold out crowd of 35,000. Tickets cost $5.50.

1982: The City of Liverpool named four Streets after the fab four: John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2011, 04:06:46 AM »

August 19th

1964: The Beatles kicked off a North American tour at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California, to a crowd of 17,130. Playing 12 songs which made up their repertoire for the entire tour: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘You Can't Do That’, ‘All My Loving’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Things We Said Today’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘If I Fell’, ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’, ‘Boys’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’. Supporting acts were The Righteous Brothers, The Bill Black Combo, The Exciters, and Jackie DeShannon.

1967: The Beatles scored their 14th US No.1 single with 'All You Need Is Love'. Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Keith Moon, Graham Nash, Marianne Faithfull and Walker Brother Gary Leeds all sang backing vocals on the track.

1999: A TV ad featuring the late Linda McCartney urging a boycott of fishing was banned by the Advertising Clearance Centre in the UK.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:02 AM »

1967-Starkey's Second Son Jason was born at Queen Charlotte's Hospital, London.

Jason was born in Queen Charlotte's Hospital in Hammersmith, London. His name was chosen by his mother.

In later years Jason worked in the music industry, becoming a road manager and drummer. He once described his famous family as a burden, saying: "Being Ringo Starr's son is the biggest drag of my life. It's a total pain."

In 1987 Jason Starkey was fined £125 after being caught stealing a car stereo, and two years later appeared twice in court on drugs charges. He played in a succession of bands including Buddy Curtis and the Grasshoppers, The People's Friend, Empire Of Sponge, and with his brother Zak, Musty Jack Sponge and the Exploding Nudists.

Despite his earlier problems with drugs and the law, Jason settled down in England with his wife Flora and two sons Louie and Sonny.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 03:41:05 AM »

August 20th

1966: The Beatles, touring America for the last time, were forced to cancel and reschedule their performance in Cincinnati's open-air stadium, Crosley Field. Heavy rain (and no cover provided) made electrocution a virtual certainty if The Beatles had attempted to perform.

1969: After finishing ‘I Want You, (She’s So Heavy), The Beatles worked on the running order for the Abbey Road album. A preliminary master tape was compiled, the medley was originally slated for side one of the album, and the placement of ‘Octopus's Garden’ and ‘Oh! Darling’ were reversed from the final version. The album was to end with the slashed guitar chord that finishes ‘I Want You (She's So Heavy)’. This was the last time all four Beatles were together in Abbey Road studios.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »

1991 Julian Lennon's 4th Studio Album"Help Yourself" published  in USA
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 27 queries.