A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 89907 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »

August 21st

1966: On their last ever US tour The Beatles performed in two cities due to a cancellation due to rain the previous day. First they performed at Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio. Then they flew to St. Louis, Missouri, for a concert at Busch Stadium, where they performed under a tarpaulin due to heavy rain. It was this gig that convinced Paul McCartney that The Beatles should stop performing live.

2006: A man surfing the Internet in America foiled three men who broke into a Liverpool shop in Liverpool, England. The man who had logged onto a site streaming live footage of Mathew Street and a forthcoming Beatles festival saw the men smashing a window of a shop and climbing inside. He phoned Merseyside police who arrested the men.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:11:20 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »

August 22nd

1962: The first TV appearance of The Beatles was recorded by Manchester based Granada TV, who filmed a lunchtime session at The Cavern Club Liverpool, (it was shown on 17th October 1962).

1963: Billy J Kramer And The Dakotas were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Bad To Me.' A song John Lennon wrote for them while on holiday in Spain with Brian Epstein.
Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas - Bad To Me [HD video]

The Beatles - Bad To Me

1964: During a North American tour The Beatles appeared at the Empire Stadium, Vancouver, to over 20,000 fans. The Beatles set at the time was just 29 minutes long. tickets cost £5.25.

1965: The Beatles, on tour in North America, performed two shows at Memorial Coliseum, Portland, Oregon. Between performances, The Beatles were visited in their dressing-room by Carl Wilson and Mike Love of the Beach Boys. 

1966, New York City teenagers Carol Hopkins and Susan Richmond climbed out onto the ledge on the second floor of a city hotel and threatened to jump unless they could get to meet The Beatles. Police talked then down.

1968: Ringo Starr quit The Beatles during the White Album sessions when the constant bickering and tension became too much for him. The news of Ringo's departure was kept secret, and he rejoined the sessions on September 3. After Ringo walked out, the remaining Beatles recorded ‘Back In the USSR’, with Paul on drums and John playing bass.

1969: The Beatles met at John Lennon’s Tittenhurst Park home in England for their final ever photo session. Three shots from this session (by Ethan Russell) formed the front and back covers of the Capitol compilation album Hey Jude. Yoko Ono and a pregnant Linda McCartney (she was to give birth to daughter Mary six days later) appeared in some photographs with The Beatles. 

Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2011, 05:00:18 AM »

1985 Press to Play published in America

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2011, 03:28:09 AM »

August 23rd

1962: John Lennon married Cynthia Powell at Liverpool's Mount Pleasant register office. He then played a gig that night with The Beatles at Liverpool's Riverpark Ballroom.

1966: The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the double a sided 'Yellow Submarine - Eleanor Rigby'. The group's eleventh No.1.

1966: On their final tour of America, The Beatles performed at Shea Stadium in New York City, New York. Unlike the previous year's performance, which had sold out, there were 11,000 empty seats in the 55,600 seat stadium. The Beatles earn more than the previous year, receiving $189,000 for their performance. 

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »

1961: After playing a lunchtime gig at The Cavern Liverpool, The Beatles played aboard the Merseyside riverboat M.V.Royal Iris’ supporting Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band.

1965: Two female Beatles fans hired a helicopter to fly over the house The Beatles were renting in Beverly Hills, California and jumped from the helicopter into the swimming pool.
Then what happened??

1966: During their last US tour, The Beatles, played two shows at the Coliseum in Seattle, Washington. The first show at 3pm was attended by only 8,000 fans (the arena seated 15,000), but the evening show was a sell-out.

2010: A selection of previously unseen photographs of The Beatles went on display in Liverpool at the Victoria Gallery and Museum. The images were taken by Astrid Kirchherr the former girlfriend of original bass player Stuart Sutcliffe, who took pictures of the band's early years after meeting them in Hamburg in 1960. The exhibition included images of the Beatles on holiday in Tenerife and of the making of their film A Hard Day's Night in 1964 in Liverpool.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »

[/img]

1973, guitarist Henry McCullough left Paul McCartney's group, "Wings" after only a year with the band. He appeared on the album "Red Rose Speedway" and the theme from the James Bond film "Live and Let Die."

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2011, 05:00:50 AM »

August 26th

1963: Cilla Black made her first major concert appearance at The Odeon Cinema Southport on a bill with The Beatles.

1967: Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull joined up with The Beatles in Bangor North Wales to seek guidance from Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

The Beatles held a press conference at University College in Bangor, North Wales with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The Beatles announced that they had become disciples of the guru and that they renounced the use of drugs. The four had become members of the Maharishi's 'Spiritual Regeneration Movement', which obligated them to donate one week's earnings each month to the organization. 

1993: A double sided acetate of The Beatles performing live at The Cavern in Liverpool sold for £16,500 at Christies, London, a world record price for a recording.

2005: A plaque was unveiled by fellow Quarrymen John Duff Lowe and Colin Hantonat at the site where the band which was to become The Beatles made their first recordings. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison recorded a version of Buddy Holly's ‘That'll Be The Day’ and a Lennon-Harrison song, ‘In Spite Of All The Danger’ as The Quarrymen at the Percy Philips studio in Liverpool in 1958.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2011, 03:27:47 AM »

August 27th

1964: During a North American tour The Beatles, performed a show at Cincinnati Gardens, Cincinnati, Ohio, in front of 14,000 fans.

1965: On the last day of a five-day break from their North American tour, The Beatles, attended a recording session for The Byrds. Later that afternoon, The Beatles met Elvis Presley at his mansion in Beverly Hills. It was an awkward meeting, leaving The Beatles with the impression that Presley's personality was decidedly "unmagnetic". John Lennon remarked soon after, “Where’s Elvis? It was like meeting Engelbert Humperdinck.”

1967, British music entrepreneur and the manager of The Beatles Brian Epstein was found dead, locked in a bedroom at his London home. A coroner's inquest concluded that Epstein died from an overdose of the sleeping pill Carbitrol. He also managed several other artists including Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Cilla Black and The Remo Four. The first contract between The Beatles and Epstein was auctioned in London in 2008, and was sold for £240,000.

1992: John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song ‘A Day In The Life’ sold at an auction for $87,000, (£47,220).
Kelley

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:43 AM »

August 27th

1965: On the last day of a five-day break from their North American tour, The Beatles, attended a recording session for The Byrds.

The Byrds and The Beatles- Nowhere To Turn
I can stay till it's time to go

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »

Interesting article in the L.A. Times about the Beatles at Dodger Stadium in 66.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-erskine-beatles-20110827,0,28732.column

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »

Misses Barbara Bach 64 Birthday Today

The Beatles When I'm 64

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

Interesting article in the L.A. Times about the Beatles at Dodger Stadium in 66.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-erskine-beatles-20110827,0,28732.column

Thanks for sharing that!
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2011, 04:38:36 AM »

August 28th

1964: After playing a show at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York, The Beatles met Bob Dylan for the first time at The Delmonico Hotel. Dylan and mutual journalist friend Al Aronowitz introduce the Fab Four to marijuana.
Or at least they showed them how it's really done!

1966: Nearing the end of their final tour of America, The Beatles performed one show at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California, before a crowd of 45,000. The Beatles' attempt to escape from the stadium in an armored truck is thwarted when the main gate was found to be locked, and The Beatles have to spend two hours in the back of the truck before they can leave the stadium.

1968: Working at Trident Studios, London, The Beatles started recording a new John Lennon song ‘Dear Prudence’. They built the song instrument by instrument, utilizing the 8-track equipment at Trident. John and George played guitars, while Paul plays drums to compensate for Ringo, who had quit The Beatles on August 22.

1969: Born on this day, Mary McCartney, a daughter to Paul and Linda McCartney. Mary was named after Paul's mother (who he mentioned in the song 'Let It Be').
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »

Beatles: Last Concert 1966 San Francisco Candlestick Park

Beatles: Last Concert 1966 RARE FILMS COMPILATION

The Beatles Live In San Francisco 1966 Candlestick Park

1966 Candlestick Park, San Francisco.

THE LAST EVER BEATLES CONCERT

This was the last time The Beatles performed before a paying audience. It was seen by 25,000 fans. Their last number on stage was 'Long Tall Sally", one of their Hamburg show-stoppers.

By this time the whole group, even Paul who had held out the longest for a continuation of touring, knew that the concerts had to stop. With posterity in mind, he asked the Beatles press officer to tape the performance on his hand-held cassette recorder. George expressed his relief on the plane home: "That's it. I'm no longer a Beatle," he announced.

John: "On our last tour people kept bringing blind, crippled and deformed children into our dressing room and this boy's mother would say, 'Go on, kiss him, maybe you'll bring back his sight.' We're not cruel. We've seen enough tragedy in Merseyside, but when a mother shrieks, 'Just touch him and maybe he'll walk again,' we want to run, cry, empty our pockets. We're going to remain normal if it kills us."

The radio show The Lennon and McCartney Songbook was transmitted by the BBC Light Programme.

1961  The Cavern (lunchtime).
1986 Cinema Premiere of Shanghai Surprise in Amerika - Music ,Acting and produced by George Harrison

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2011, 05:22:04 AM »

August 29th

1959: The Quarry Men (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ken Brown) performed at the Casbah Coffee Club, Hayman's Green, West Derby, Liverpool. This is the opening night of a new teen club in a large Victorian house that is owned by Mrs. Mona Best and the first of seven straight Saturdays that The Quarry Men play here. The band shared one microphone connected to the house P.A.

1966: The Beatles played their last concert before a paying audience, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, California to a sold-out crowd of 25,000. John and Paul, knowing what the fans do not (that this will be the last concert ever) bring cameras on stage and take pictures between songs. During this tour, The Beatles have not played a single song from their latest album, ‘Revolver’. They finished the show with a version of Little Richards 'Long Tall Sally'.

2006: The Beatles' ‘Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band’ was voted the best #1 album of all time by the British public. The album released in 1967, topped the poll to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the UK album chart. The Beatles had a total of four albums in the top 10, with ‘Revolver’ at six, ‘Abbey Road’ at eight and The Beatles ‘White Album’ at 10.

August 30th

1962: The Beatles played at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, at lunchtime and at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester at night with Gerry & the Pacemakers.

1965: During a US tour The Beatles appeared at the Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood, California. Tickets cost $3.00.

1972: John Lennon and Yoko Ono played Madison Square Gardens to raise money for the One to One charity. Stevie Wonder, Sha Na Na and Roberta Flack also appeared at the event. Lennon personally bought $60,000 worth of tickets which were given to volunteer fund-raisers. Several of the performances were later included on Lennon’s, Live in New York City album.

2003: Stella McCartney married publisher Alasdhiar Willis on Scotland's Isle Of Bute. Guest's included Sir Paul McCartney, Madonna, Chrissie Hynde and Coldplay's Chris Martin.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »

August 31st

1965: During a North American tour The Beatles played two shows at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, California to a total of 28,700 fans.

1976: George Harrison was found guilty of 'subconscious plagiarism' of the Ronnie Mack song 'He's So Fine' when writing 'My Sweet Lord'. Earnings from the song were awarded to Mack's estate; The Chiffons then recorded their own version of 'My Sweet Lord'.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 03:57:45 AM »

September 1st

1967: The four Beatles held a meeting at Paul McCartney's house in London to decide upon their next course of action following the death of manager Brian Epstein. They decide to postpone their planned trip to India and to begin the already-delayed production of the Magical Mystery Tour movie. They have two songs already recorded for the movie, ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ and ‘Your Mother Should Know’.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »

1963-ABC TV's Didsbury Studio Centre, Manchester. The group recorded an appearance on the variety show Big Night Out presented by comedians Mike and Bernie Winters. They mimed 'From Me To You', 'She Loves You' and 'Twist And Shout' before a studio audience of 600 (broadcast September 7).

The Beatles - "Big Night Out" - 01.09.1963

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:13 AM »

September 2nd

1964: On tour in the USA The Beatles appeared at The Convention Hall, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Days before the concert, Philadelphia had experienced race-riots, The Beatles, who were Civil Rights supporters, were shocked to see that their audience of 13,000 is completely white.

1978: George Harrison married Olivia Arias at Henley-on-Thames register office.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2011, 03:56:00 AM »

September 3rd

1962: After playing a lunchtime show at The Cavern in Liverpool, The Beatles played the first of three Monday night gigs at The Queen’s Hall, Widnes, Cheshire. Also on the bill, Billy Kramer and the Coasters, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and Sonny Kaye and the Reds. Tickets cost 3/6.

1964: During a US tour The Beatles played two shows at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. They were paid $85,000 for the shows, tickets cost $4.00.
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Page created in 1.142 seconds with 27 queries.