A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 91534 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:26 AM »

You know your BEATLES history well In My Life, I am very impressed. Take care.

No...I get this stuff from a website!
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »

No...I get this stuff from a website!

so, but you take the initiative!

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2011, 02:58:53 AM »

September 30

1960: The Beatles performed at the Indra Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Clay Ellis and the Raiders, and the Red River Jazz Men.

1967: John, George and the Maharishi appear on the TV `David Frost Show'.

1971: First stereo remix of `Penny Lane'.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »

1967: John, George and the Maharishi appear on the TV `David Frost Show'.

I don't remember I ever saw this. Is it available somewhere?

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2011, 06:47:59 AM »

I don't remember I ever saw this. Is it available somewhere?

I looked for a clip on YouTube with no luck. I really wanted to see it.

I found the audio:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:41:40 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »

I looked for a clip on YouTube with no luck.

Try a little harder! ha2ha

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »

Try a little harder! ha2ha

Okay sir, but tomorrow. Do you know what time it is here?  ;)
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »

Time is a relative thing. ;D

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2011, 04:19:46 AM »

October 1st

1962: A new and revised contract is signed by The Beatles and Brian.

1963: Brian writes to the `Glasgow Record and Mail', making clear that the first two hits of Gerry and the Pacemakers were not written by Lennon and McCartney, but by Mitch Murray.

1964: UK LP release: `The Beatles Versus The Four Seasons'.

http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2011/03/21/the-beatles-vs-the-four-seasons/

1969: US LP release: `Abbey Road'.

1988:  John is honoured with a star in the streets of Hollywood. 
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2011, 05:05:24 AM »

October 2nd

1964: Brian Epstein's`A Cellarful Of Noise' is published in Britain.

1964: Granville Theatre, London. Rehearsal for a special British edition of the US TV show `Shindig'.

1969: John, in an interview, says that Apple is like a big black hole that takes all his benefits as an author and singer.

1971: John Lennon's 'Imagine' LP entered the US album chart, where it will reach No.3.

2001: Actor Kevin Spacey hosts Come Together: A Night for John Lennon's Words and Music at New York's Radio City Music Hall. Performers include, Alanis Morissette, Moby, Stone Temple Pilots and the Dave Mathews Band. The evening was closed with those present singing 'Give Peace A Chance'.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:58:32 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:27 PM »

2011-
Sir Paul and Nancy Shevell joined Ringo Starr and his Wife Barbara,Olivia and Dhani Harrison, Yoko Ono, Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones and Monty Python star Michael Palin on the red carpet at the British Film Institute in London.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2011, 03:57:20 AM »

October 3rd

1959: The Quarry Men perform at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool.

1960 - Last performance at the Indra Club, 64 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Billy Kramer and the Coasters, and the Echoes.

1968: Working at Trident Studios in London, The Beatles recorded the new George Harrison song ‘Savoy Truffle’. George, Paul, and Ringo recorded just one take of the basic track (drums, bass, and lead guitar). The song was inspired by Eric Clapton's love of chocolates, particularly Mackintosh's Good News.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:36 AM »

October 4th

1960: The Beatles began to perform nightly at the Kaiserkeller, 36 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany. Also performing are Rory Storm and the Hurricanes with drummer Ringo Starr. After Mon. November 21st, they perform without George.

1963: The Beatles made their first appearance on the UK ITV pop show 'Ready Steady Go!'

The Beatles - "Ready, Steady, Go" - 04.10.1963

1969: The Beatles 'Abbey Road' album went to No.1 on the UK chart. The final studio recordings from the group featured two George Harrison songs 'Something' and 'Here Comes The Sun' plus 'Come Together', 'Sun King' and 'Golden Slumbers.' The cover supposedly contained clues adding to the ‘Paul Is Dead’ phenomenon: Paul is barefoot and the car number plate ‘LMW 281F’ supposedly referred to the fact that McCartney would be 28 years old if he was still alive. ‘LMW’ was said to stand for ‘Linda McCartney Weeps.’ And the four Beatles, represent; the priest (John, dressed in white), the Undertaker (Ringo in a black suit), the Corpse (Paul, in a suit but barefoot), and the Gravedigger (George, in jeans and a denim work shirt).
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »

October 5th

1962: The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. It spent 26 week's on the chart peaking at No.4.

1962:   First radio broadcast of a Beatles record (Radio Luxemburg). 

2000: Beatles' fans across the world rushed out to buy copies of “The Beatles Anthology”. Stores in Japan and Britain opened at midnight to satisfy demand for the book, the first written by the band members. Publishers said the 350,000-word volume, at a cost of £35, had already attracted more than 1.5m orders worldwide.

October 6th

1962: First signing of records by the Beatles (`Love Me Do'/`P.S. I Love You'), at the Dawson's Music Shop, Widnes. 

1964: The Beatles spent the afternoon recording 'Eight Days A Week' at Abbey Road studios in London. Late evening was spent at The Ad Lib Club, London, partying with The Ronettes and Mick Jagger.

1968  Transmision of the `Hey Jude' clip on the US TV programme `Smothers Brothers Show' 

Beatles Hey Jude on Smothers Brothers Show 1968 (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

1969: George Harrison's song 'Something' was released as the "A" side of a Beatles' 45, a first for Harrison. Along with Lennon and McCartney's Come Together, the single will reach No.1 in the US next month.

October 7th

1964: Meeting of the Beatles, Brian and Walter Shenson to discuss plans for the next film.

1967: The Beatles rejected an offer of $1 million from promoter Sid Bernstein to make a second appearance at New York's Shea Stadium. Bernstein had originally brought the group to Shea in August 1965.

1975: John Lennon was awarded his ‘Green Card’ - permanent residency status, at a hearing in New York which overturned previous efforts by the US Government to deport him. The three judge panel of the US Court of Appeals ruled that his 1968 arrest in Britain for possession of marijuana was "contrary to US ideas of due process and was invalid as a means of banishing the former Beatle from America."
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »

1964: Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded their next single ‘She's a Woman’ in seven takes plus overdubs, recording the song from start to finish in five hours.

1964: Enfield Town Driving Test Centre, Enfield Town, Middlesex. Morning. Ringo takes his driving test, successfully.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2011, 05:03:12 AM »

October 9th

1940: John Lennon is born at the Maternity Hospital, Oxford Street, Liverpool.

Happy Birthday John Lennon

1961: John and Paul celebrate John's 21st birthday by hitchhiking to Paris. In aid in getting picked up, they purchase and wear bowler hats. They had planned to keep going to Spain, but stayed in Paris. John and Paul both claim they started the `Beatle' haircut while in Paris, copying the style from Jurgen Vollmer, whom they met on the streets.

1965: The Beatles started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Paul McCartney ballad 'Yesterday', giving the group their tenth US No.1. Never released as a single in the UK until 1976.

1975: Sean Taro Ono Lennon was born, the only child of John Lennon by Yoko Ono. John Lennon retired from music for five years to become a house-husband. Sean went on to become a singer, songwriter, musician and actor.

1980: In New York's sky, planes write congratulatory words for John and Sean, for their birthday.

1984: Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends', narrated by Ringo Starr was shown for the first time on British TV. 

1985: Marking what would have been John Lennon's 45th birthday, Yoko Ono formally opened the three and a half acre garden at the Strawberry Fields site in New York's Central Park. The area was planted with trees, shrubs and flowers gathered from across the world and with a $1m donation from Yoko. 
Kelley

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »

October 9th

1940: John Lennon is born at the Maternity Hospital, Oxford Street, Liverpool.

Happy Birthday John Lennon

1961: John and Paul celebrate John's 21st birthday by hitchhiking to Paris. In aid in getting picked up, they purchase and wear bowler hats. They had planned to keep going to Spain, but stayed in Paris. John and Paul both claim they started the `Beatle' haircut while in Paris, copying the style from Jurgen Vollmer, whom they met on the streets.

1965: The Beatles started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the Paul McCartney ballad 'Yesterday', giving the group their tenth US No.1. Never released as a single in the UK until 1976.

1975: Sean Taro Ono Lennon was born, the only child of John Lennon by Yoko Ono. John Lennon retired from music for five years to become a house-husband. Sean went on to become a singer, songwriter, musician and actor.

1980: In New York's sky, planes write congratulatory words for John and Sean, for their birthday.

1984: Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends', narrated by Ringo Starr was shown for the first time on British TV. 

1985: Marking what would have been John Lennon's 45th birthday, Yoko Ono formally opened the three and a half acre garden at the Strawberry Fields site in New York's Central Park. The area was planted with trees, shrubs and flowers gathered from across the world and with a $1m donation from Yoko.

Hi In My Life! You sure love your BEATLES history don't you? Have you ever thought about becoming a Beatleologist? Take care.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2011, 02:13:53 AM »

October 10th

1939: The real Eleanor Rigby died in her sleep of unknown causes at the age of 44. The 1966 Beatles' song that featured her name wasn't written about her, as Paul McCartney's first draft of the song named the character Miss Daisy Hawkins. Eleanor Rigby's tombstone was noticed in the 1980s in the graveyard of St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool, a few feet from where McCartney and Lennon had met for the first time in 1957.

1959: The Quarry Men played at the Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool. Ken Brown, suffering from a heavy cold was unable to perform and after the show, an argument started when Paul McCartney says that Brown should not get a share of the performance fee since he had not performed. Lennon and Harrison side with McCartney and Brown quits The Quarry Men.

1964: During a UK tour The Beatles appeared at De Montfort Hall in Leicester. Ringo Starr drove himself to the venue after taking delivery of a brand new Facel Vega, apparently reaching speeds of 140 MPH on the M6 motorway.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:17 AM »

October 11th

1962: `Love Me Do' enters the favorite songs ranking published by `Record Retailer'.

1965: Paul attends a session at Decca Studios, London, for Marianne Faithfull's version of `Yesterday', meeting the producer Mike Leander.

1968: during a Beatles recording session at Abbey Road six saxophonists recorded parts for 'Savoy Truffle' for the forthcoming White Album. George Harrison distorted the saxophones to get the desired sound. 

1991: Apple Computers settled a lawsuit launched by The Beatles' record company, Apple Corporation, over name and logo rights. The computer company reportedly paid $29 million to settle the suit.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2011, 03:28:04 AM »

October 12th

1962: Little Richard, The Beatles, Billy J. Kramer and other local groups all appeared at The Tower Ballroom, Wallasey, Merseyside, England.

1965: Working on their next album Rubber Soul at Abbey Road Studios, London, The Beatles recorded ‘Run For Your Life’ in its entirety, in five takes. (Lennon later admits to lifting two lines from Elvis Presley's 1955 hit ‘Baby Let's Play House’). And another new Lennon song ‘This Bird Has Flown’, later known as ‘Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)’. The track included George Harrison's double-tracked sitar part, the first appearance of that Indian instrument on a pop record.

1968: 1st showing on US television of a 7-minute promotional short called `A Mod Odyssey', including a footage of the Beatels at TVC (TV Cartoons Ltd).

Mod Odyssey plus Trailer

1969: A DJ on Detroit's WKNR radio station received a phone call telling him that if you play The Beatles 'Strawberry Fields Forever' backwards, you hear John Lennon say the words "I buried Paul." This started a worldwide rumour that Paul McCartney was dead.

Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Page created in 1.168 seconds with 27 queries.