A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 97258 times)

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2011, 07:09:31 AM »

^Never saw that footage before. Thanks for sharing.
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:42 AM »

^Never saw that footage before. Thanks for sharing.

You're quite welcome.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:36 AM »

October 13th

1941: Neil Aspinall is born.

1963: The Beatles made their debut on ITV's 'Sunday Night at The London Palladium', topping the bill and transmitted live to an audience of 15 million viewers. They played, 'From Me To You', 'I'll Get You', 'She Loves You', and 'Twist and Shout'.

The Beatles leaving the London Palladium pursued by fans

Ringo Starr talks about the London Palladium

1965: Recording at Abbey Road studios for the album Rubber Soul, The Beatles begin and complete 'Drive My Car' in four takes plus overdubs.

1974: TV host Ed Sullivan died. Leader of the Ed Sullivan Singers and Orchestra. Introduced The Beatles and other UK acts to America via his Ed Sullivan TV show, from New York City, which ran from June 20, 1948 to June 6, 1971, on CBS every Sunday night at 8pm. The Beatles appearance on February 9th 1964 is considered a milestone in American pop culture and the beginning of the British Invasion in music. The broadcast drew an estimated 73 million viewers.

2008: In a video message on his website, Ringo Starr announced that he no longer has time to sign autographs and asked fans not to send him any mail at all. "No more fan mail and no objects to be signed. Nothing." After finishing a tour of the US and Canada, he was dividing his time between Los Angeles, the South of France and his UK home in Surrey.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2011, 02:20:06 AM »

October 14th

1963: Photographs of the London Palladium performance are published on the front pages of every London newspaper.

2000: The Beatles Anthology book was at No.1 on the New York Times non-fiction bestseller list.

2009: Paul McCartney was named Songwriter of The Year at the 29th Annual ASCAP Awards in London, England. The awards presentation honored songwriters and publishers of the most performed works in the US during 2008.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »

October 10th

1964: During a UK tour The Beatles appeared at De Montfort Hall in Leicester. Ringo Starr drove himself to the venue after taking delivery of a brand new Facel Vega, apparently reaching speeds of 140 MPH on the M6 motorway.

I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »

October 15th

1960: The Beatles (minus Pete Best) and two members of Rory Storm's Hurricanes (Ringo Starr and Lou Walters) recorded a version of George Gershwin's ‘Summertime’ in a Hamburg recording studio. The track which was cut onto a 78-rpm disc marked the first session that included John, Paul, George, and Ringo together.

1961: Comedian Ken Dodd and The Beatles both appeared at a charity evening raising funds for St John's ambulance brigade at Liverpool's Albany Cinema.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »

It looks way cooler in this picture.  :)
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:42 AM »

October 16th

1959: George Martin produces a Peter Sellers' session using sitar and tabla, for the song `Wouldn't It Be Loverly', of the `Songs For Swingin' Sellers' LP.

1963: Bernard Delfont announces the Beatles will perform at the Royal Command Performance.
http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=6

1965: The Beatles recorded ‘Day Tripper’ at Abbey Road studio’s London in three takes, they then added vocals and other overdubs, completing the song before the end of the day.

1969: The Beatles are ready to sell their Northern Songs Ltd. shares.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »

1961: Performance for their fan club for the first time at the David Lewis Club in Liverpool.

1962: In between their lunchtime and night shows at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, The Beatles traveled to Granada TV Centre in Manchester to make their television debut. They appeared live on the local magazine program People and Places performing two songs ‘Some Other Guy’ and ‘Love Me Do’.

I know there's no film of this but are there any pictures? I only found one that is labeled as such on a website but it's wrong.

1963: Lunch with the winners (Karen, Anne, Vicky, Susan) of competition in the teen magazine `Boyfriend' at the restaurant Old Vienna.
http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/2011/01/win-date-with-beatle.html

1967: 6:00pm. Memorial service held for Brian, with the attendance of all 4 Beatles, at the New London Synagogue, 33 Abbey Road.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2011, 04:46:38 AM »

October 18th

1957:The Quarry Men perform at New Clubmoor Hall (Conservative Club), Norris Green, Liverpool. This is Paul McCartney's first appearance with the group. The line-up for The Quarry Men is John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, and Len Garry. Paul McCartney, suffering from a case of the stage jitters, flubs his guitar solo on the song "Guitar Boogie". Upset with his playing, Paul tries to make amends by showing John a song he had written, "I Lost My Little Girl". John then shows Paul some songs that he has composed. The two start writing songs together from that moment, which marks the birth of the Lennon-McCartney songwriting partnership. Pete Shotton, out of the group by this time, had no real musical ability and knew it; he was almost relieved when, during a drunken argument, John Lennon had smashed Pete's washboard over Pete's head. That was the end of Pete Shotton's career as a Quarry Man.
http://www.macca-central.com/macca-calendar/today_beatle_history.php?aDate=2006-10-18

1959: The band's name is changed to Johnny and the Moondogs as they audition for Carroll Levis' `TV Star Search' show in Liverpool. Ken Brown has left the group. They perform `Think It Over' and `Rave on' but lose to a woman who plays the spoons.

1964: Taking a day off from their British tour The Beatles go into the studio and complete the recording of six album tracks and the A-side of their next single: ‘I Feel Fine’. They also complete ‘Eight Days a Week’, ‘Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey’, ’Mr. Moonlight’, ‘I'll Follow the Sun’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’. ‘Rock and Roll Music’ and ‘Words of Love.’

1967: Premiere of `How I Won The War' at the London Pavilion. All 4 Beatles attend. After, they attend a party at Cilla Black's flat (9 b Portland Place, London).

1968: John and Yoko were taken to Paddington Green police station and charged with obstruction, after cannabis was discovered at the apartment they were staying in. Lennon pleaded guilty the following month and was fined £150.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:23 AM »

October 19th

1961: Performance of part of the Beatles and part of Gerry and the Pacemakers and the Cruisers, under the name of Beatmakers, at the Litherland Town Hall, Liverpool.

1963: The Beatles appeared at The Pavilion Gardens, Buxton, England.

1967: The Beatles finished guitar and vocal parts for their next single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at Abbey Road studio’s London.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2011, 03:17:10 AM »

October 20th

1939: Raymond Jones is born in Oldham.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/raymond-jones/
http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=7113.45;wap2

1963: Recording of performance for ABC-TV's `Thank Your Lucky Stars' in Birmingham.

1965: US gold certification for `Yesterday'/`Act Naturally'.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2011, 04:22:49 AM »

October 21st

1965: Wanting to improve on a previous recording session The Beatles started from scratch on a new song called ‘Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)’, finishing recordings in three takes. They also begin working on another new John Lennon song ‘Nowhere Man.’

October 22nd

1996: It was announced that, "The Beatles were now bigger than The Beatles". The statement was based on sales so far this year, having sold 6,000,000 albums from their back catalog and a combined total of 13,000,000 copies of ‘The Beatles Anthology 1’ and ‘The Beatles Anthology 2’. With the release of ‘The Beatles Anthology 3’ a week away, it was anticipated that total Beatles album sales for 1996 would exceed 20 million. A poll showed 41 percent of sales were to teenagers who were not born when The Beatles officially called it quits in 1970.

2000: George Michael paid £1.45m for the Steinway piano on which John Lennon wrote 'Imagine.' George said, "I know that when my fingers touch the keys of that Steinway, I will feel truly blessed. And parting with my money has never been much of a problem, just ask my accountant." The singer outbid Robbie Williams and The Oasis brothers.

2008: A homeless man claimed a £2,000 reward by returning a waxwork head of ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney which had been left on a train. Anthony Silva found the item in a bin at Reading station after auctioneer Joby Carter left it under a seat at Maidenhead station. The homeless man thought it was a Halloween mask and had been using it as a pillow before realising what it was. The wax model sold the following week for £5,500 at auction.

October 23rd

1963: The Beatles completed the final session for their second album ‘With the Beatles’ recording ‘I Wanna Be Your Man.’ The group then drove to London airport for a flight to Stockholm, Sweden to start their first foreign tour. The Fab four were met at Stockholm airport by hundreds of girl fans that had taken the day of school.

1995: US `Newsweek' cover: `Meet The Beatles (Again)'.

October 24th

1963: On the first day of their first foreign tour, The Beatles spent the day in Stockholm, Sweden, recording a performance for a radio program entitled "The Beatles popgrupp fran Liverpool pa besok i Stockholm", (The Beatles pop group from Liverpool visiting Stockholm). The Beatles, enthused by the chance to play before an audience that wasn't screaming, played seven songs, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, ‘From Me to You’ ‘Money’, ‘You Really Got a Hold On Me’, ‘She Loves You’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ and ‘Twist and Shout.’

1973: John Lennon began litigation against the US government, accusing them of tapping his telephone.

1979: Paul McCartney received a medallion cast in rhodium after being declared the most successful composer of all time. From 1962 to 1978, McCartney had written or co-written 43 songs that had sold over a million copies each.

1967:  NBC-TV broadcasts `A Hard Day's Night' in the USA.

1975: An extraordinary general meeting decrees that Triumph Investment Trust be wound up.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »

1950 May Fung Yee Pang was born

Pang is the daughter of Chinese immigrants and grew up in New York's Spanish Harlem
She had previously worked as a personal assistant and production coordinator for Lennon and his wife,

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »

October 25th

1963: The Beatles kicked off their first tour of Sweden by playing two shows at Nya Aulan, Sundstavagen, Karlstad, Sweden. The local pop reviewer was not impressed, saying The Beatles should be grateful to their screaming fans for drowning out the group's terrible performance, adding that The Beatles "were of no musical importance whatsoever and that their local support group, The Phantoms, decidedly outshone them."

1964: The Beatles receive 4 1963 Ivor Novello awards: `She Loves You' (most aired and most sold song); `I Want To Hold Your Hand' (second most aired song); `All My Loving' (second song of the year).

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »

October 26th

1962: Concert at the Liverpool Empire, with Little Richard.

1965: Queen Elizabeth II invests The Beatles with their MBEs at Buckingham Palace, London. According to an account by John Lennon, the group smoked marijuana in one of the palace bathrooms to calm their nerves. Many former recipients gave their MBE's back in protest, to which John Lennon responded "Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war, for killing people." He continued: "We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more." When asked how he enjoyed meeting Queen Elizabeth II, John said "She's much nicer than she is in the photos."

Beatles MBE Interview #1

The Beatles Interveiw MBE 1965

Beatles MBE Interview #3

Beatles MBE Interview #4 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #216 on: October 27, 2011, 02:49:33 AM »

October 27th

1963: Touring Sweden, The Beatles performed three shows at the Cirkus in Goteborg, Sweden.

1969: US gold certification for `Abbey Road'. US gold certification for `Something'/`Come Together'.

1969: Abbey Road. Ringo begins, with George Martin, the recording of `Sentimental Journey' LP. 1st Beatle formally recording a solo LP.

2000: Lonnie Donegan went to Buckingham Palace to receive his MBE for his services to pop music. Lonnie pioneered skiffle in the 1950's and inspired a generation of teenagers to start bands.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #217 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »

1961: Liverpool ,The Beatles performed at the Village Hall, Knotty Ash

1962:
Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight, Birkenhead. Before playing this gig the group recorded an interview with a boys' club to be broadcast to the patients of Cleaver and Clatterbridge Hospitals, Wirral, on the hospital radio show, Sunday Spin.

1965:A recording session booked for this date was cancelled because John and Paul had not yet written sufficient new material.

George Martin: "We hope to resume next week. We are not waxing songs by other composers. We want this to be an all Lennon/McCartney album."

1966:Penguin Books published The Penguin John Lennon, a double volume of John's two books.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2011, 04:21:31 AM »

October 28th

1961: Raymond Jones went into Liverpool's NEMS Record store trying to buy Beatles records that had been released in Germany. Shop manager Brian Epstein promises to investigate further. Or did they?

1962: The Beatles perform at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool. This is a major performance for The Beatles, their first at Liverpool's top theatre. They are part of an eight-act, big-name program that plays to two separate "houses" (two performances for two different audiences, one at 5:40 pm and the other at 8:00 pm). Heading the bill is Little Richard; also appearing is Craig Douglas (for whom The Beatles provide musical backing in addition to their own, separate performance), Jet Harris (ex-Shadows bass player), and Kenny Lynch & Sounds Incorporated. In Liverpudlian terms, The Beatles have hit the big time. http://www.beatlemania.ca/dayinhistory/october.htm#October 28

1962: First radio interview in Hulme Hall in Port Sunlight, Birkenhead.

http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=1

1963: Concert at Borashallen, Boras. (Sweden)

(Photo courtesy of Lasse Bengtsson)

1996: UK CD/LP release: `Anthology 3'
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:51 AM »

2003 Beatrice Milly McCartney was born in London

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:40:34 AM by Badgirl66 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Page created in 0.922 seconds with 27 queries.