A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 97629 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #220 on: October 30, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »

October 29th

1961: Performance at Hambleton Hall in Huyton, Liverpool.

1962: The Beatles made their second appearance on the Granada TV program ‘People and Places.’ Filmed in Manchester, they performed two songs, ‘Love Me Do’ and ‘A Taste of Honey’.

! Video not found

1964: Concerts at the ABC Theatre, Plymouth.

1996: US CD release: `Anthology 3

2005: A set of waxwork heads of The Beatles from their Sgt Pepper's album cover sold for £81,500. The "pepperheads" were auctioned off after recently being discovered in a back room at London's Madame Tussauds. They were used in 1967 by artist Sir Peter Blake in the backdrop of the "Lonely Hearts Club Band" album with the actual Beatles posing at the front.

October 30th

1961:  Two days after Beatles fan Raymond Jones asked for The Beatles' German single ‘My Bonnie’ (recorded with Tony Sheridan) at Brian Epstein's NEMS record store in Liverpool, two girls asked for the same record. Epstein's difficulty in locating the record was due to him not knowing that the record was released, not by The Beatles, but by Tony Sheridan and 'The Beat Brothers' ('Beatles' resembles a vulgar slang word in German, so The Beatles' name was changed for this single).

1963: On the final day of their Swedish tour, The Beatles recorded an appearance for the Sverige Television program ‘Drop In’ in Stockholm. They performed ‘She Loves You’, ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘I Saw Her Standing There’, and ‘Long Tall Sally.’

02 - Beatles Drop In! Sweden - She Loves You - 1963 (HD)

1971: John Lennon and The Plastic Ono Band went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Imagine'. The album contained two tracks attacking Paul McCartney, 'How Do You Sleep' and 'Crippled Inside.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2011, 03:12:11 AM »

October 31st

1956: Mary Patricia Mohin McCartney dies.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50140952

1961: Performance at the Town Hall in Litherland, Liverpool.

1963: The Beatles returned to London from Sweden and were greeted by hundreds of screaming fans and a mob of photographers and journalists. American television host Ed Sullivan was at Heathrow as The Beatles arrived, and was struck by the sight of Beatlemania in full swing; he decided to look into getting this group to appear on his US television program.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ed-sullivan-witnesses-beatlemania-firsthand-paving-the-way-for-the-british-invasion

1964: Concerts at the Gaumont Theatre, Ipswich.

1969 - UK single release: `Something'/`Come Together'. 1st release in the UK of a single from an already released LP.

2005: The white suit worn by John Lennon on the cover of the Beatles' Abbey Road album sold for $118,000 (£66,385) at an auction in Las Vegas. And an Austin Princess hearse driven by the late star in the documentary Imagine sold for $150,000 (£84,388). A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the items went to Amnesty International.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2011, 03:15:12 AM »

November 1st

1962: The Beatles and Brian fly to Hamburg. Start of 4th season of performances at the Star Club.

1963: Start of `The Beatles Autumn Tour', 4th UK tour, along with The Brooks Brothers, and Peter Jay and the Jaywalkers. Evening: Concert at the Odeon Cinema, Cheltenham.

1964: Concerts at the Astoria Theatre, Finsbury Park.

1965: Start of shootings of `The Music Of Lennon And McCartney', at the Granada Television Studios, Manchester.

1968: George Harrison released his first solo album, 'Wonderwall Music' on the Apple label. The songs which were mostly Harrison instrumentals, featured Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and an unaccredited banjo contribution by Peter Tork of The Monkees.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:38:44 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2011, 06:18:56 AM »

1961 The Beatles playing in the Cavern 2 Shows afternoon and evening.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:54 AM »

November 2nd

1962: Night. Performance at the Star Club. (Hamburg)

1963: Concert at the City Hall, Sheffield (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: The `Daily Express' says that this mass hysteria (over the Beatles) only serves to fill empty heads.

1964: Concert at the Ritz, Belfast.

1967: The Beatles completed recording their next single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at Abbey Road studios London with a second Paul McCartney bass line. The McCartney song had been selected for the A-side for The Beatles next single, the flip side to be Lennon’s ‘I Am the Walrus.’

1974: George Harrison became the first Beatle to undertake a solo world tour when he played the first show of a 30-night tour in Vancouver, Canada.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2011, 03:36:04 AM »

November 3rd

1961: Performance at noontime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962: Night. Performance at the Star Club.

1963: Concerts at the Odeon, Leeds (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1967: Sunny Heights' (rock garden). Shooting for `Blue Jay Way' sequence in `Magical Mystery Tour'.

1968: Broadcast of a fragment of `Yellow Submarine' on the Ed Sullivan Show

1968:Appearance on a BBC-TV programme, with Donovan and Lulu.

November 4th

1961: Performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963:`With The Beatles' LP is cut at Abbey Road.

1963: Appearance on the `Royal Command (Variety) Performance', at the Prince Of Wales Theatre, London. Brian and Dezo Hoffmann attend. BBC-TV films the concert. After, the Beatles retire to the bar of the Mapleton Hotel, 39 Coventry Street, London.
THE BEATLES ROYAL VARIETY SHOW (COMPLETE) NOV 4 1963

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:40:27 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2011, 03:25:43 AM »

November 5th

1961: Performance at either the Glenpark Club in Southport or at the Three Coins Club in Manchester.

1963: Concert at the Adelphi, Slough (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). Concert at the Granada, East Ham (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: `Daily Mirror' headline: `Beatlemania!'

I didn't realize that Jack Benny and Groucho Marx were such huge Beatles fans.  ;)
Rare Beatlemania Footage!

1964: Concerts at the Odeon, Nottingham.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »

November 6th

1963: During a UK tour, The Beatles played two shows at the ABC Cinema in Northampton.

1966: Beach Boys concert at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park. Sounds Incorporated is one of the support acts. Brian attends. While Brian is in the concert, fans demonstrate outside his Chapel Street house (thinking he was here), demanding more Beatles concerts.

1967: Working at Abbey Road studio in London, The Beatles mixed four songs, ‘Hello Goodbye’, ‘Your Mother Should Know’, ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ and ‘I Am the Walrus’. Due to the radio feed used in ‘I Am the Walrus’ being recorded in mono, the song changes from stereo to mono at the line "Sitting in an English garden".

1968: Joe Cocker was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with his version of The Beatles song 'With A Little Help From My Friends'.

November 7th

1957: The Quarry Men perform for `Rhythm Night' at Wilson Hall in Garston, Liverpool.

1963: The Beatles went to Ireland to make their only two appearances ever in the country playing two shows at the Adelphi Cinema, Dublin. The group hooked up with screenwriter Alun Owen, who had been appointed to write the screenplay for The Beatles' first (as yet untitled) motion picture. Owen spent three days with The Beatles observing their hectic, lifestyle.

1967: The Beatles finished recording ‘Blue Jay Way’, ‘Flying’ and ‘Magical Mystery Tour.’ The Beatles have only six songs, not enough for an album so decided to issue a double-EP. Capitol Records didn’t think the double-EP format would be acceptable for the US market, so they decide to put out an album instead. The six "Magical Mystery Tour" songs with five of the six songs from The Beatles' 1967 singles went on side two.

1969: Life magazine with Paul McCartney on the cover photograph and Paul's interview inside issued.

http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=68

November 8th

1961: Brian phones to the Cavern, asking for a ticket as an important visit. The Beatles performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963:Concert at the Ritz, Belfast (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1965: The Beatles worked on a new George Harrison song ‘Think For Yourself’ at Abbey Road for their forthcoming Rubber Soul album. After rehearsing the song, they recorded the basic instrumental track in one take.

1967: New York premiere of `How I Won The War'.

1969: 'Something' the first Beatles A-side composed by George Harrison entered the UK singles chart, it peaked at No.4 in the UK and went on to be a No.1 on the US chart.

1972: Sgt Norman Pilcher is charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice after it is discovered that he had committed in court. He is sentenced to serve four years in prison.

1975: Elton John was named Godfather to John and Yoko Lennon's son Sean.

October 9th

1961:, Brian Epstein, with Alistair Taylor, saw The Beatles playing live for the first time during a lunchtime session at The Cavern Liverpool. Epstein went on to be the group's manager. That night they appeared at Litherland Town Hall in Liverpool.

1963: Two performances at the Granada, East Ham, London (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). Concert at the Adelphi, Slough (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Concerts at the City Hall, Sheffield.

1966: Brian phones Arthur Howes, telling him they won't accept more live performances.

1966: John Lennon met Yoko Ono for the first time when he visited her art exhibition 'Unfinished Paintings and Objects' at the Indica Gallery in London.

1966: Paul's “death date”.

1967:  The first issue of Rolling Stone Magazine was published in San Francisco. It featured a photo of John Lennon on the cover, dressed in army fatigues while acting in his recent film, How I Won the War and the first issue had a free roach clip to hold a marijuana joint. The name of the magazine was compiled from three significant sources: the Muddy Waters song, the first rock ’n’ roll record by Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones.

November 10th

1961: Performance at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton. Part of the `Operation Big Beat', a festival with Gerry and the Pacemakers, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, the Remo Four, and Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes. Evening: performance at the Village Hall in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

1963: Concert at the Hippodrome, Birmingham (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1966: The newspapers report there will be no more Beatles' tours.

1967, The Beatles filmed three promotional films (directed by Paul) for their new single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at the Saville Theatre in London. Each of the three film clips featured different costumes and Beatle antics. In the first film they wear their "Sgt. Pepper" uniforms, for the second The Beatles are wearing everyday clothes, the third film clip features shots from the first two films, plus additional shots of The Beatles (especially John) doing the twist. A Musician's Union ban on lip-sync broadcasts prevented the film being used on British television.

The Beatles Hello Goodbye (Digital Remaster 2009) [High Definition] HD

The Beatles - Hello Goodbye (Promo #2) [HiQ]

The Beatles -hello goodbye- alternative video
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:29 AM »

November 11th

1961: Performance in the evening at the Aintree Institute in Aintree, Liverpool.

1962: Night performance at the Star Club.

1963:The Beatles escape from the crowd at the Birmingham Hippodrome disguised as policemen.

1963: Brian meets Ed Sullivan in New York and negotiates appearances on his show for the Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Brian gives CBS-TV one year's exclusive rights to the Beatles US television appearances.

1965: The final recording session for The Beatles Rubber Soul album took place, at Abbey Road, London. They needed three new songs to finish the album so an old song ‘Wait’ is pulled off the shelf and the group recorded two new songs from start to finish. Paul's ‘You Won't See Me’ and John's ‘Girl’, the basic tracks for both songs being completed in two takes. Rubber Soul was completed, and finished copies of the album were in the shops by December 3 in the UK and December 6 in the US.

1966: The Beatles and Brian donate 1000 pounds to the Aberlan disaster fund.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberfan_disaster#The_Disaster_Fund

1966: `The David Frost Programme', Rediffusion television. Edition with the Four Tops and an interview with Brian. Before the show Brian makes it clear that if the Beatles non-touring situation is raised, he will add nothing to the statements already made, to the effect that nothing has been decided about their future activities.

1970: Ringo's daughter Lee Parkin Starkey is born at the Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital, Hammersmith, London.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »

November 12th

1961: Performance at Hambleton Hall in Huyton, Liverpool with the Rockin' Climbers, Jimmy and the Midnighters and Faron and the Flamingos.

1963:Concert at the Guild Hall, Portsmouth (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). Postponed because of Paul being sick.

1965: Italy LP release: `The Beatles In Italy'.

2002, Die-hard Beatles fans were enraged after Paul McCartney altered the song writing credits on his 'Back In The US 2002' album, changing them to McCartney and Lennon from Lennon and McCartney.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2011, 04:25:41 AM »

November 13th

1961:  Performance at noontime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool

1962:  Night performance at the Star Club.

1963: Paul's got the flu. Hour after hour, bulletins report his condition.

1963: Concert at the ABC, Plymouth (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: The Beatles recorded a television interview at Westward Television Studios in Plymouth, Devon, for a local teen program "Move Over, Dad". Due to a large crowd of excited fans outside, The Beatles had to be smuggled from their dressing-room at the ABC Cinema, where they were scheduled to appear that night, into an adjacent building, then through a tunnel, to get to Westward Studios for the interview taping.

1966: The front page of the `Sunday Telegraph' reports that two of the Beatles have approached Allen Klein through a third party. Klein, in London, did not announce the story himself or make himself available for comment. Brian dismisses the story as ridiculous. George and Ringo are said to be disturbed by the report; John is annoyed about the suggestion of their being disenchanted with Brian. Paul is abroad and cannot be reached for comment.

1968: New York premiere of `Yellow Submarine'.

1969: John gives an island of his called Dorinch, by the Ireland coast, so that any hippy who wishes could live there.

2000: The Beatles launched their first official website www.thebeatles.com. The site went live on the same day as the release of their retrospective compilation '1' album.

November 14th

1961: Performance at the Merseyside Civil Service Club in Liverpool and later at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962: Night. End of performances at the Star Club (4th season).

1963: Concert at the ABC, Exeter (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Teddington TV Studios, Middlesex. Filming for ABC-TV's `Thank Your Lucky Stars'
The Beatles I'm A Loser (2009 Stereo Remaster)

2000: US CD release: `Beatles 1'.

November 15th

1959: Johnny and the Moondogs, (The Beatles) played in the final heat of the 'TV Star Search' competition at The Hippodrome Theatre, Manchester, England. Judging was done by the volume of applause each group received when it is called back onto stage at the end of the night. Since the Moondogs had no money to stay overnight in Manchester, they were forced to head back to Liverpool before they were called back onto stage.

1961: Performance at noontime and in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963: US release: `Hello Little Girl', with the Fourmost. UK release: `I'm In Love', with the Fourmost
Hello Little Girl - The Fourmost

1964: US TV broadcasts fragments of `Around The Beatles'.
The Beatles - Around The Beatles - UK TV Show - Complete Show - 1964 - RARE - (Part 1/4)

1966: Brian makes declarations in response to rumors concerning the Beatles' breakup.

1969: The Beatles appear on the cover of `Rolling Stone' magazine. Last photographic session.

November 16th

1957: The Quarry Men perform at the Stanley Abattoir Social Club in Old Swan, Liverpool.

1962: The Beatles recorded their second appearance on Radio Luxembourg, for the program The Friday Spectacular. The Beatles were interviewed they played in front of a live audience. Both sides of their latest single, 'Love Me Do' and 'P.S. I Love You' were played.

1963: Evening. Concert at the Winter Gardens, Bournemouth (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). Filmed by US TV.
The Beatles on CBS News, 21 November 1963 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964: Riverside Studios, London. Recording of performance for BBC-TV's `Top Of The Pops'.

1974: John Lennon was at No.1 in the US singles chart with 'Whatever Gets You Through The Night.' Elton John played on the session and made a deal with Lennon that if the song reached No.1, Lennon would have to appear on stage live with Elton. Lennon kept his side of the deal and appeared live with Elton. They played three songs together: ‘I Saw Her Standing There,’ ‘Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds’ and ‘Whatever Gets You Through the Night.’ Backstage after the concert, Lennon got back with Yoko Ono after a temporary split.

2010, The Beatles' back catalogue was finally made available on iTunes, after years of negotiations. For the first time consumers would now be able to purchase some of the Fab Four's most popular songs via the store. Apple and record label EMI had been in talks for years about getting the catalogue online. Apple chief executive and Beatles fan Steve Jobs said it had "been a long and winding road to get here. We love the Beatles and are honoured and thrilled to welcome them to iTunes."

November 17th

1961: Performances at noontime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool and in the evening at the Village Hall in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.

1962: Recording of performances for Granada TV's `People And Places', to be later broadcast.

1963: Concert at the Coventry Theatre, Coventry (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: The Playhouse Theatre, Manchester. 7.30-11.30pm. Recording for BBC's `Top Gear': `I'm A Loser'; `Honey Don't'; `She's A Woman'; `Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby'; `I'll Follow The Sun'; `I Feel Fine'. Only live recording of `I'll Follow The Sun'.

2000: It was reported that Andy White who played drums on The Beatles track 'Love Me Do' which was featured on the new Beatles Greatest Hits album would not earn enough from it to buy his own copy. White would get no more than his original session fee of £7.

November 18th

1961: Performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with the Mersey Beats.

1963: The Beatles received silver LP discs for 'Please Please Me' and 'With the Beatles' at a ceremony held at EMI House in London. They also received a silver EP for 'Twist and Shout' and a silver single for 'She Loves You'. The band then attend a cocktail party and a formal lunch in the EMI boardroom with company executives and invited guests.

1963: Newspapers publish that a priest of the Church of England asks the Beatles to record a Christmas song.

1963: In a press report, Brian asks the fans not to throw things to the stage during the tour in progress.

November 19th

1961: Performance at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool.

1962:  The Beatles, played gigs at three different venues. First they performed a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, followed by an 85-mile drive to the Midlands, where they performed at Smethwick Baths Ballroom and then at the Adelphi Ballroom, West Bromwich in Staffordshire.

1963: Concert at the Gaumont, Wolverhampton (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1995: First part of `The Beatles Anthology' TV documentary is aired by ABC-TV in the USA.

2006: A guitar played by George Harrison was set to fetch more than £100,000 at a London auction. The Maton MS500 guitar was used on The Beatles first album.

November 20th

1963: Concert at the Ardwick Apollo, Manchester (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). Filmed by ABC-TV.

The Beatles come to town - RARE 1963 (color) (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1968: Paul McCartney gave an exclusive interview to Radio Luxembourg in which he discussing his opinions of select tracks from the new LP.
http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=66

1976: Paul Simon hosted NBC's Saturday Night Live where he performed live with George Harrison on ‘Here Comes The Sun’ and ‘Homeward Bound’. Paul McCartney and John Lennon were both in New York City watching the show on TV.
Paul Simon and George Harrison - Homeward Bound (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1995: 11.30am. Savoy Hotel, London. Press conference for over 100 media, one per country, on occasion of the release of `Anthology 1', given by George Martin, Jeff Lynne and Neil Aspinall. Radio Zero premieres `Free As A Bird' for Chile, airing the song from London via telephonic line. During the first hours of the day, copies of `Anthology 1' are taken on planes hired by EMI, leaving from an airport in Holland to be distributed on various countries.

November 21st

1960: The Beatles played at the Kaiserkeller Club in Hamburg, Germany without George Harrison. Harrison had been deported on this day for being underage (he was 17) and not legally allowed to remain in a nightclub after midnight.

1961: Performances at noontime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool and in the evening at the Merseyside Civil Club in Liverpool.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Johnny Templer and The Hi-Cats, and the Zodiacs.

1963: Concert at the ABC, Carlisle (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1967 : 76 Old Compton Street, 1st floor, London. Norman's Film Production. Roy Benson and the Beatles session for cutting the `Magical Mystery Tour' film. They are filmed by a BBC crew.

1995: The Beatles Anthology 1 was released in the US, featuring 60 tracks including the single 'Free As A Bird.'

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:39:47 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:41 AM »

November 22nd

1961:Performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963: The Beatles released their second album 'With The Beatles' which spent 51 weeks on the UK charts.

1963: Concert at the Globe, Stockton (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').
This is a really interesting article that links this concert with the events here in the US on that day.
http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2008/11/the-beatles-and-a-night-to-rem.html

1967: George session for `Wonderwall' film. Recording: sound effects; `India', `Swordfencing' (both working titles). First session of `Wonderwall'.

1968: The Beatles double White album was released in the UK. Featuring 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da', 'Dear Prudence', 'Helter Skelter', 'Blackbird' 'Back In The USSR' and George Harrisons 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. Priced at £3.13 shillings, ($8.76), it spent eight weeks as the UK No.1 album.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2011, 04:36:11 AM »

November 23rd

1957: Performance at the Conservative Club in the New Clubmoor Hall in Norris Green, Liverpool.

From left to right: Colin Hanton, Paul McCartney, Len Garry, John Lennon, Eric Griffiths. Photo signed by Quarrymen members special for DM's Beatles forums in 2004 (How cool is that?!)

1961: Performance at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool. 

1962:  Cavern lunch session: The Beatles. Evening: Concert at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton.

1962: The Beatles traveled to St. James' Church Hall, London, for a ten-minute audition with BBC Television. The audition came about when Beatles fan, David Smith of Preston, Lancashire wrote to the BBC asking for The Beatles to be featured on BBC television. Assuming that Smith was The Beatles' manager, the BBC wrote back to him, offering The Beatles an audition. Smith brought his letter to NEMS Enterprises, and Clive Epstein (Brian's brother) arranged for audition to take place. Four days later, Brian Epstein received a polite "thumbs-down" letter from the BBC.

1963: Concert at the City Hall, Newcastle (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: US TV broadcasts the Bournemouth Winters Garden concert (filmed 16 November).

1964: Wembley TV Studios, Wembley, Middlesex. Recording performance for `Ready, Steady, Go!'
"She's a Woman", "Baby's in Black," and "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey”
Beatles-Ready Steady Go November 23, 1964

1965: Twickenham Film Studios, London. Shooting of clips for `I Feel Fine', `Ticket To Ride', `Help!', `Day Tripper', `We Can Work It Out'.

1968: Rolling Stone' magazine No. 22 issued with John Lennon interview.
http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=67

1971: George Harrison appeared on the Dick Cavett show in New York City. Ravi Shankar also stopped in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dick_Cavett_Show

Part 1 of 3
(FULL) George Harrison on the Dick Cavett Show Part 1

1976: Wings kicked off a 19-date UK tour at Liverpool’s Royal Court.

1989: During a 104-date world tour, Paul McCartney played the first of five nights at the Los Angeles Forum, California, his first appearances in North America in thirteen years.

1995: 3rd and last part of `The Beatles Anthology' TV documentary is aired by ABC-TV in USA.

2000: The son of George Harrison was involved in a car crash. Dhani Harrison crashed his Audi S3 in Oxfordshire but escaped any serious injury.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2011, 05:07:14 AM »

November 24th
1941: Born on this day, Pete Best, The Beatles drummer, 1960-1962.

1961: Performances at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool. Evening: perfomance at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasay as a part of `Operation Big Beat II'. Other acts are Gerry and the Pacemakers, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, the Remo Four and others.

1962: Brian sends a birthday greetings telegram to Pete Best: `Congratulations, many happy returns, all the best, John, Paul, George, Ringo and Brian.'

1963: Concert at the ABC, Hull (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Marriage of James McCartney (Paul’s Dad) and Angela Williams.

1966: The Beatles get together for the first time since their return from the summer tour of the United States, ready to record a new album. The first song selected for recording is John's 'Strawberry Fields Forever', which will end up, not on the album, but on The Beatles' next single. This day's session is devoted entirely to ‘Strawberry Fields Forever.’

1967: Abbey Road. First John's solo session, compiling sound effects for the National Theatre production for its play `Scene Three, Act One', based on the short homonymous story included on `In His Own Write'.

1973: Ringo Starr went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Photograph'. His first of two US chart toppers as a solo artist.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »

November 25th
1962: Performances at the Cavern, with the Fourmost, the Dennisons, and the Zenith Six.

1963: Studio Four, Granada TV Centre, Manchester. Granada's Scene (or Scene At 6.30) and Late Scene Extra programmes. One of the last appearances where John still has his first Gibson J-160E guitar. The guitar was stolen soon afterwards

1964: Number 1 Studio, BBC Aeolian Hall. 7.00-10.30pm. Recording for BBC's `Saturday Club': `Rock And Roll Music'; `I'm A Loser'; `Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby'; `I Feel Fine'; `Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!'; `She's A Woman'. `I'm A Loser', `Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby', `I Feel Fine' and `She's A Woman' are the same versions broadcast on 26 November (recorded 17 November).

1965: Harrods department store in London closed to the public so The Beatles could do their Christmas shopping.

1966: Studio, Dick James House. Time unknown. Recording: `Pantomime: Everywhere It's Christmas'.

The Beatles 1966 Christmas Record (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1968: “The Beatles”  (the White Album) was released in the US. Featuring 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da', 'Dear Prudence', 'Helter Skelter', 'Blackbird' 'Back In The USSR' and George Harrisons 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. The album spent 101 weeks on the US chart peaking at No.1.

1969: John Lennon returned his MBE to The Queen on the grounds of the UK's involvement in the Nigeria Biafra war, America in Vietnam, and against his latest single 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts.

John Lennon - Returning his MBE (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:40 AM »

November 26th

1961: Performance at Hambleton Hall in Huyton, Liverpool.

1962: The Beatles recorded their second single ‘Please Please Me’ in 18 takes and ‘Ask Me Why’ for the flip side at EMI studio’s London.

1963: Concert at the ABC, Cambridge (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1967: The promotional film of The Beatles 'Hello, Goodbye' was aired on The Ed Sullivan show in the US. It was never shown at the time in the UK due to a musician's union ban on miming.

2000: The Beatles went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Beatles 1.'
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2011, 04:19:02 AM »

November 27th

1961: Performance at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962: The Beatles recorded their first BBC radio session at the BBC Paris studio on Regent Street in London. They played 'Twist and Shout', 'Love Me Do' and 'P.S. I Love You', the tracks were aired on the BBC Light Program 'Talent Spot.'

1963: Concert at the Rialto, York (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: She Loves You' has sold over 1,000,000 copies in the UK.

1964: News from the US that Epstein could sell his Beatles' management interest are denied `at any price'.

1964: Appearance on `Ready, Steady, Go!' TV show (filmed 24 November 1964).

1964: UK single release: `I Feel Fine'/`She's A Woman'.

1966: Filming of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's BBC-TV comedy show `Not Only... But Also', with appearance of John.

John Lennon-Not Only...But Also Skit (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1967: US single release: `Hello, Goodbye'/`I Am the Walrus'. US LP release: `Magical Mystery Tour'.

1970: George Harrison released All Things Must Pass. The triple album included a number of songs that were left over from Beatle sessions, the set would go on to be certified 6x Platinum by the RIAA, making it the best selling album by a solo Beatle.

1994: Rod Stewart and the Faces appeared at The Odeon, Lewisham, London, England. Paul and Linda McCartney both joined the band on stage for a few numbers.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »

November 28th

1961: Performance in the evening at the Merseyside Civil Club in Liverpool.

1962: The Beatles performed two evening shows: the first at the Cavern Club in Liverpool and the second at the 527 Club in Liverpool. The 527 Club show was a dance for the staff of Lewis Department Store in Liverpool, held on the top floor of the store.

1962: Performance at the Cavern, with Remo Four, and Dee Young and the Pontiacs.

1963: Concert at the ABC, Lincoln (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1963: 'She Loves You' by The Beatles returned to No.1 for the second time on the UK singles chart.

1966: US LP release: “George Martin Instrumentally Salutes the Beatles Girls”.

1967: The Beatles recorded their last fan club record as a group; 'Christmas Time Is Here Again!'

Lyrics: http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=401

Christmas Time Is Here Again 1967-The Beatles [HQ AUDIO] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1968: John and Yoko appear at the Marylebone Magistrates' Court. John pleads guilty to possession of cannabis resin and is fined 150 pounds plus 20 guineas costs.

1969: Ringo continues recordings of `Sentimental Journey' LP, in London.

1974: John Lennon made his last ever concert appearance when he joined Elton John on stage at Madison Square Gardens in New York City. Lennon performed three songs; 'Whatever Gets You Thru The Night', 'I Saw Her Standing There' and 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.'

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »

November 29th

1961: Performances at noontime and in the evening in the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962 : Concert at the Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead.

1963: 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' by The Beatles was released in the UK. For the first time ever in the UK advanced orders passed the million mark before it was released.

1963: Concert at the ABC, Huddersfield (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Studio 1. BBC Television Centre, London. John films appearance on BBC-TV's `Not Only... But Also'. (Aired January 9, 1966.)

John Lennon Not Only But Also BBC, Jan 65 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1965: This week's UK Top 5 albums, No.5, 'Out Of Our Heads', The Rolling Stones, No.4, 'Highway 61 Revisited', Bob Dylan, No.3, 'Help!', The Beatles, No.2, 'Mary Poppins', soundtrack and at No.1, 'Sound Of Music', soundtrack.

1966: Studio 2. 2.30-8.00pm. Recording: `Strawberry Fields Forever' (takes 5-6, tape reduction take 6 into take 7, overdub onto take 7). Mono mixing: `Strawberry Fields Forever' (remixes 1-3, from take 7). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Phil McDonald.

1967: Studio 1 (control room only). 2.30-5.30pm. Editing: `Christmas Time (Is Here Again)' (of unnumbered mono remix). Tape copying: `Christmas Time (Is Here Again)' (of master version). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush. Copy for print at Lyntone Records..

1968: `The Beatles' has sold 2 million copies on the first week. British record for quick sale.

1969: The Beatles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Come Together / Something', the group's 18th US No.1.

1980: John and Yoko's 'Double Fantasy' album was released. A No.1 in the US & the UK the set featured the No.1 single 'Just Like Starting Over.'

2002: Three paintings by Sir Paul McCartney were bought for just £35 each at the Secrets Postcard Sale at London's Royal College of Art. Members of the public gambled on whether they were buying works by celebrity artists at a fraction of their value, as a picture's creator was only made known after it has sold.

2001: After a brave and valiant fight, George Harrison, known as "the quiet Beatle", succumbs to cancer. The 58 year-old songwriter, musician, reportedly died at 1:30 p.m. (9:30 p.m., U.K. time) on Thursday in the Los Angeles home of his friend and noted security expert on celebrities, Gavin de Becker. According to Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times staff reporter noted in their November 30th on-line edition that "Harrison's wife, Olivia Arias Harrison, and son, Dhani, were with him at the time of his death, which was not announced until early Friday morning.

Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2011, 04:22:43 AM »

November 30th

1936 : Frank Ifield is born in Coventry, Warwickshire, England.
http://www.frankifield.com/wack.html

1960: Last performance at the Kaiserkeller, 36 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1963: The Beatles second album 'With the Beatles' became the first million selling album by a group in the UK.

1963: Concert at the Empire, Sunderland (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Ringo visits `Melody Maker'.

1970 : UK LP release: `All Things Must Pass'.

1994 - UK LP/CD release: `Live at the BBC'.
Kelley

Around The Beatles
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Page created in 2.15 seconds with 27 queries.