A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 90562 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »

November 30th

1936 : Frank Ifield is born in Coventry, Warwickshire, England.
http://www.frankifield.com/wack.html

1960: Last performance at the Kaiserkeller, 36 Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1963: The Beatles second album 'With the Beatles' became the first million selling album by a group in the UK.

1963: Concert at the Empire, Sunderland (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Ringo visits `Melody Maker'.

1970 : UK LP release: `All Things Must Pass'.

1994 - UK LP/CD release: `Live at the BBC'.

I was wondering when you were going to update today's BEATLES history!

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2011, 04:38:23 AM »

I was wondering when you were going to update today's BEATLES history!

It's good to know you like it.  :)
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:01 AM »

It's good to know you like it.  :)

Of course I like it! If I didn't, I would be sending you home with a year's supply of Turtle Wax and Mr. Clean!  ha2ha 

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:03 AM »

Of course I like it! If I didn't, I would be sending you home with a year's supply of Turtle Wax and Mr. Clean!  ha2ha

Ha! You have a good memory.
Kelley

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »

Ha! You have a good memory.

And then some!  ha2ha

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »

December 1st

1961: The Beatles performed a lunchtime show at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. That night they headlined a six-group Big Beat Session at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton in Wallasey.

1961: Meeting of Brian Epstein with Colin Borland and Beecher Stevens, both from Decca, to negotiate a recording contract, at their London office.

1961: Performances at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool and in the evening at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton along with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Dale Roberts and the Jaywalkers, King Size Taylor and the Dominoes, Derry and the Seniors and Steve Day and the Drifters.

1962: 7.30pm-1.00am. Concert at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Dale Roberts and the Jaywalkers, Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes, Derry and the Seniors, Steve Day and the Drifters.

1963: Concert at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1964: Ringo Starr booked into University College Hospital to have his tonsils removed.

That's tonsils, not toenails.  ha2ha
http://myq105.radio.com/2011/11/28/this-week-in-music-oh-no-ringos-toenails-are-removed/#photo-1

Beatles member Ringo Starr giving an interview on his upcoming throat operation

1969: Royal Albert Hall, London. Concert of Delaney & Bonney & Friends, with guest Eric Clapton. George, Ringo, Pattie and Maureen attend.

Delaney and Bonnie & Friends: I Don't Want To Discuss It

1971: US single release: `Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'/`Listen The Snow Is Falling'.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:05:32 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2011, 04:03:46 AM »

December 2nd

1961: Performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1962: BBC Paris Studio, London. 7.00-8.00pm. Recording for BBC's `The Talent Spot': `Love Me Do'; `P.S. I Love You'; `Twist And Shout'.

1963: The Beatles recorded an appearance on the UK TV comedy program The Morecambe and Wise Show. The Beatles played ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and also participate in comedy sketches with Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise. The program was broadcast on April 18, 1964.

The Beatles on "Morecambe & Wise Show 1963" (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

1964: The contract for the 1964 Australia tour is signed.

1966: Brian announces more Sunday shows for the Saville Theatre: Billy Stewart, Chuck Berry, Edwin Starr and Garner Mimms, Lee Dorsey and the Impressions.

1967: John is interviewed by Kenny Everett on BBC-radio's `Where It's At'.

1968: US LP release: `Wonderwall Music'.

1969: John Lennon was selected as one of only three people to be featured and interviewed as `Man of the Decade'. The interview was filmed by ATV on December 2nd as John and Yoko walked the grounds of their Tittenhurst estate in Ascot, Berkshire. The footage was broadcast in Britain on December 30th 1969.

John Lennon: Man of the Decade
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2011, 04:00:02 AM »

December 3rd

1938: Marriage of Alfred Lennon and Julia Stanley. After the ceremony, they go to the movies and then to their respective houses.

1961: Brian Epstein invited The Beatles into his office to discuss the possibility of becoming their manager.

1963: Concert at the Guild Hall, Portsmouth (`The Beatles Autumn Tour') (postponed 12 November).
1964: Appearance on BBC-TV's `Top Of the Pops'.

1965: The Beatles set out on what would be their last ever UK tour at Glasgow's Odeon Cinema. Also on the bill, The Moody Blues The Koobas and Beryl Marsden. The last show was at Cardiff's Capitol Cinema on 12th December.

1965: UK LP release: `Rubber Soul'. UK single release: `We Can Work It out'/`Day Tripper'. First single officially released as double A side.

1977: Wings started a nine-week run at No.1 in the UK with 'Mull Of Kintyre'. The first single to sell over 2 million copies in the UK, (it was co-written by Denny Laine who sold his rights to the song when he became bankrupt).

1980: John and Yoko's apartment, Dakota Building. Photographic session of John and Yoko, with Annie Leibovitz.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2011, 03:34:42 AM »

December 4th

1938 : Alfred Lennon leaves to go to America.

1962: The Beatles made their London-area debut on television when they appeared in a live broadcast from Wembley on ‘Tuesday Rendezvous’, on ITV station Rediffusion. The Beatles performed live, doing lip-sync performances of ‘Love Me Do’ and 45 seconds of ‘P.S. I Love You.’

Possibly from that show...

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.12.04%20wembley/62.12.04wembley.html

1962 - 5.00-5.29pm. BBC's `The Talent Spot' broadcast (recorded 2 December 1962).

1964: The Beatles released their fourth album 'Beatles For Sale'. The album featured: ‘No Reply’, ‘I'm a Loser’, ‘Baby's in Black’, ‘Rock and Roll Music’, ‘I'll Follow the Sun’, ‘Mr. Moonlight’, ‘Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey’, ‘Eight Days a Week’, ‘Words of Love’, ‘Honey Don't’, ‘Every Little Thing’, ‘I Don't Want to Spoil the Party’, ‘What You're Doing’, and ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’. It spent 11 weeks as the UK No.1 album.

1965: Appearance on `Thank Your Lucky Stars'.

1965: Concert at the City Hall, Newcastle.

1968: George sends a memo to the Apple personnel announcing the arrival of the Hell's Angels.

1982: 'The John Lennon Collection' started a six-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart.

1994: `Live At The BBC' number 1 in the UK.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »

George sends a memo to the Apple personnel announcing the arrival of the Hell's Angels.

Also in the new Documentary

Ovi

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »

Happy birthday to "Beatles For Sale". I've always liked the album, especially this song :

The beatles. "I don't want to spoil the party"

"That was a very personal one of mine. In the early days, I wrote less material than Paul because he was more competent on guitar than I. He taught me quite a lot of guitar, really." - John Lennon

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #251 on: December 05, 2011, 02:23:30 AM »

December 5th

1960, Paul McCartney and Pete Best were arrested for pinning a condom to a brick wall and then igniting it. The two were told to leave Germany and The Beatles returned home, discouraged.

Some accounts give November 29th as the date for this but what’s most important is why in the heck did they do it?

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1960/11/29/paul-mccartney-pete-best-arrested-hamburg

1961: The Beatles performance at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1965: The Beatles played their last ever show in their hometown of Liverpool when they appeared at The Liverpool Empire during the group's final UK tour. Only 5,100 tickets were available, but there were 40,000 applications for tickets. The group also had the UK No.1 single with 'We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper.'

1967: Party celebrating the opening of Apple Boutique.
Beatles Apple Boutique

1968 film “Hot Millions” Scene from Apple Boutique
Beatles Apple Boutique, London 1968

1980: John interview with Jonathan Cott for `Rolling Stone'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-lennons-final-interview-20101207

2006: Beatles lyrics handwritten by Sir Paul McCartney to an early version of Maxwell's Silver Hammer sold for $192,000 (£97,000) at an auction in New York. A guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix fetched $168,000 (£85,000), a notebook containing lyrics written by Bob Marley, sold for $72,000 (£36,445) and a poem penned by Doors frontman Jim Morrison made $49,000 (£25,500) at the Christie's sale.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #252 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:35 AM »

Happy birthday to "Beatles For Sale". I've always liked the album, especially this song :

Me too. Some people don't I guess but it has "I'll Follow the Sun" on it so therefore it's okay by me.  ;D
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #253 on: December 06, 2011, 04:14:31 AM »

December 6th

1961 - Meeting of the Beatles and Brian Epstein at NEMS. Evening: Performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963 - The members of the Beatles Fans Club receive the first Christmas record.

The Beatles - The Beatles Christmas Record (HD)

http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=397

1965 - UK EP release: `The Beatles' Million Sellers'. US single release: `We Can Work It out'/ `Day Tripper'. US LP release: `Rubber Soul'.

1966: The Beatles recorded Christmas and New Year's greetings for pirate radio stations Radio Caroline and Radio London. Both stations were broadcasting from ships anchored off the British coastline.

http://beatleswiki.org/wiki/Recording_Session_-_December_6,_1966

Christmas Messages For Radio (excerpts) - The Beatles

1967: The Beatles started a seven-week run at No.1 in the UK with 'Hello Goodbye' their 13th No.1 single.

1968 : US Gold certification: `The Beatles'.

1969:  Ringo's appearance on the `David Frost Show'.

Ringo Starr on the David Frost Show 1970

1994 - US LP/CD release: `Live at the BBC'.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2011, 03:52:45 AM »

December 7th

1963: The Beatles were a little busy this day. First they filmed “Juke Box Jury” from 2:30 to 3:15 PM at the Empire Theater in Liverpool. Then they performed a concert in the same venue for members of the Northern Area Fan Club from 3:45-4:30. Finally, they performed two shows at the Odeon Cinema as part of the Autumn Tour.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/07/live-television-its-the-beatles/

1963 TV Concert: 'It's The Beatles' Live

1965: Concert at the Ardwick Apollo, Manchester.

1967: The Beatles Apple boutique opened its doors at 94 Baker Street. The store closed seven months later when all the goods were given away free to passers by.

1968: The Beatles 'White Album' started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK chart.

1973: LP release: `Band on the Run'.

2005: The MBE medal that John Lennon returned to the Queen was found in a royal vault at St James' Palace. Lennon returned his medal in November, 1969 with a letter accompanying saying, "Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against Cold Turkey slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon." Historians were calling for the medal to be put on public display.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #255 on: December 08, 2011, 05:52:29 AM »

December 8th

1961: Brian writes to Ron White, from the EMI sales department, in a bid to get the Beatles an EMI recording  contract. Brian has already sent him a copy of `My Bonnie'.

1961: Afternoon: the Beatles perform at the Cavern Club. Evening: show at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, Wallasay, backing up Davy Jones, a black singer from America who is living in the UK.

1962: 7.30pm-2.00am. Concert at the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton, as part of `The Davy Jones Show': Davy Jones, supported by the Beatles, Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Gerry and the Pacemakers, the Remo Four, Earl Preston and the T.T.s.

1963: Concert at the Odeon, Lewisham (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). 2 shows.

1965: Concert at the City Hall, Sheffield.

1967: UK EP release: `Magical Mystery Tour'. First double EP in the UK.

1966: Working at Abbey Road in London, Paul McCartney overdubbed his lead vocal for ‘When I'm Sixty-Four’. Then The Beatles set about remaking a new John Lennon song ‘Strawberry Fields Forever.’

1980:
http://www.hollywood.com/news/John_Lennon_Remembered_30_Years_Later/7740247
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:41 AM »

December 9th

1952: Brian is ordered into the Army, conscripted for National Service.

1961: First live performance at the Palais Ballroom in Aldershot with Ivor Jay and the Jaywalkers. Because of an advertising mix-up, no one showed, so word was spread around about a free dance. 18 people then showed up. The Beatles then went to the Blue Gardenia in Soho, London where they got up on stage without George and played free again.

1962: Brian takes Martin to the Cavern, to let him see the Beatles live for the first time.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1962/12/09/live-cavern-club-liverpool-265/

1963: Concert at the Odeon, Southend (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

1965: Concert at the Odeon, Birmingham.

1966: The Beatles album 'A Collection Of Beatles Oldies' was released in the UK.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #257 on: December 10, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »

December 10th

1961: Afternoon: Meeting of the Beatles and Brian Epstein, at the Casbah Coffee Club. Performance at Hambleton Hall in Huyton, Liverpool.

1962: Concert at the Embassy Theatre, Peterborough, with Frank Ifield, Julie Grant and Ted Taylor.

1963: Concert at the Gaumont, Doncaster (`The Beatles Autumn Tour').

“At the end of the first year of sweeping Beatlemania in Britain, the Fab Four gave an entertaining and enlightening interview to Dibbs Mather during a stop in Doncaster on December 10th 1963.

John Lennon displays his brutally-cool sense of humor, and also reads his poem 'The Neville Club' well-before the release of his first book. Lennon's collection poems and short stories 'In His Own Write' would not be published for another three months”  http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1963.1210.beatles.html
1964: UK gold certification for `I Feel Fine'.

1965: Evening: two performances at the Hammersmith Odeon.

1969: John and Yoko announce a plan of producing a film called `A6' about a murder, revealing their intention to make public the case of James
Hanratty.

http://www.biography.com/people/james-hanratty-17172146?page=1
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:47:18 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2011, 04:39:05 AM »

December 11th

1961: Performance at lunchtime at the Cavern Club in Liverpool.

1963:`She Loves You', 15th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). `Please Please Me' LP, 38th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). `With The Beatles' number 1, 3rd week (UK New Musical Express chart). `I Want To Hold Your Hand' number 1, 2nd week (UK New Musical Express chart).

1963: Concert at the Futurist, Scarborough (`The Beatles Autumn Tour'). 

1965:  Concert at the Astoria, Finsbury Park, London. Two houses. 

1968: InterTel (VTR Services) Limited, Wembley, Middlesex. `Rock'n'Roll Circus', TV programme produced by the Rolling Stones, is filmed. John sings `Yer Blues'.

1969: Odeon Theatre, Kensington, London. Royal charity world premiere of `The Magic Christian', with attendance of the royal family, Princess Margaret, John and Yoko, Ringo, Peter Sellers, George and Pattie. Before the screening, John and Yoko parade outside the cinema carrying placards declaring `Britain Murdered Hanratty'.

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2011, 02:13:51 AM »

December 12th

1961: Concert at the Nottingham Odeon. 

1963: Concert at the  Nottingham Odeon. 

1965: Concert at the Capitol Cinema, Cardiff. End of British tour.

1969: London premiere: `The Magic Christian'.

The Magic Christian Original Trailer

1980: March in memory of John in New York, from 23rd Street, walking down 5th Avenue, ending at the Dakota Building. 

2007: A copy of John Lennon's book, A Spaniard in the Works, which contained a lock of Lennon's hair, sold at Gorringes Auction House for £24,000, ($48,000). Lennon gave the book and the hair to Betty Glasgow, the Fab Four's hairdresser during their heyday. He wrote in the book, "To Betty, Lots of Love and Hair, John Lennon xx." The strands of hair and book had been expected to sell for between £2,000 and £4,000.
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26

Page created in 2.217 seconds with 27 queries.