A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 80343 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:46 AM »

December 13th

1961: Performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. Mike Smith, from Decca's A & R department, visits the Cavern. 

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1961/12/13/live-cavern-club-liverpool-95/

1961:  Performance at the Casbah. 

1962: Martin arrives at Liverpool invited by Epstein. They go to the Cavern, where they meet Priscilla White (Cilla Black), who receives them at the wardrobe, where she works. 

1963: Concert at the Gaumont, Southampton. End of `The Beatles Autumn Tour'. 

1966: John appears on the cover of Look magazine which featured an interview with him conducted on the set of "How I Won the War".

http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=56

2000: Sir Paul McCartney held his first-ever London book signing at Waterstone's in Piccadilly. Sir Paul was in the store to sign copies of his new book, Paul McCartney Paintings.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #261 on: December 14, 2011, 04:01:41 AM »

December 14th

1912: John Lennon's father Alfred Lennon was born on this date.

Alfred Lennon (always called 'Alf' by his family), was known as being happy-go-lucky, and "couldn't resist having a good time". He had rickets as a child and wore leg braces, which led to his growth being stunted at 5' 4". In 1927, he auditioned for a children's music hall act, Will Murray's Gang, at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool. Having passed the audition he ran away from the orphanage and joined the show. He travelled with the troupe for a time before being discovered in Glasgow and returned to the orphanage, where he was severely punished. He was known as being always quick with a joke or a witty line, but never held a job for any length of time. When he was 15 years old he left the Bluecoat orphanage and found a job as an office-boy, but preferred to visit Liverpool's many vaudeville theatres and cinemas, where he knew the usherettes by name. His brother Sydney often lent money to him, after Sydney got a job in a tailor's shop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Lennon

Freddie Lennon - The Singles

updated 12/13/12

1963: The Beatles played a show for their Southern Area Fan Club at Wimbledon Palais, London. To prevent damage to the stage from fans the management of the Palais constructed a platform for The Beatles to perform on, surrounded by a steel cage. Each fan was greeted by The Beatles after the show.

Palais Wimbledon Uncut 16mm Newsreel.flv

1969: John and Yoko arrive in a white bag inside a white Rolls Royce, at Hyde Park (at Cumberland Gate), to protest for James Hanratty, while Hanratty's father addresses the crowd. Later, Hanratty and the Lennons drive to 10 Downing Street, to present a petition at the Prime Minister's residence. 

1970: Gold certification: `Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)' Gold certification: `My Sweet Lord'. 

1971  John Sinclair is released, because Michigan's penalties for possession of drugs had been reduced.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/john-lennon/songs/john-sinclair/

1980: Yoko Ono called on fans to observe ten minutes of silence in memory of John Lennon. 30,000 gathered outside St George's Hall in Liverpool, while nearly 100,000 attend a memorial in New York's Central Park.

John Lennon Memorial in Central Park 1980

1995: The FBI makes public, under a judge's order, archives related to its investigation about John Lennon to deport him.

http://lennonfbifiles.com/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:44:18 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2011, 04:46:05 AM »

December 15th

1961: Performances at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool and in the evening at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton along with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, Dale Roberts and the Jaywalkers, Cass and the Cassanovas and Derry and the Seniors. 

1962: The Beatles played two separate shows at the same venue, the Majestic Ballroom in Birkenhead, Merseyside. First they played a standard Majestic booking then at midnight, the first-ever "Mersey Beat" poll awards show took place. As poll winners, The Beatles closed the show (at 4:00 am).

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.12.15%20majestic/62.12.15majestic.html

1963: Performance for 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' Merseybeat show with host Cilla Black.  George Martin makes an appearance to present gold discs for “She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand”.

Thank Your Lucky Stars (starring The Beatles, 12/15/1963)

1964: US LP release: `Beatles '65'.

1965: TV appearance, on `Here Comes The Pops'

1965, Released as a double A side The Beatles 'Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out', became their ninth UK No.1 and their third Christmas chart topper in a row. The single was a US No.1 in January 1966.

1967: The 5th `Christmas Record' is sent to the members of the Fans Club.
(see November 28th)

1969: Launch of `War Is Over' campaign organized by John and Yoko. Posters and billboards are displayed in 12 important cities around the world. 

1969: John Lennon played what would be his final ever gig in the UK when he appeared at The Lyceum Ballroom, London, with the Plastic Ono Band in a UNICEF 'Peace For Christmas' benefit. George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Delaney and Bonnie, Billy Preston and The Who's drummer, Keith Moon also took part.

1969: BBC broadcasts a 1-hour documentary about John in the programme `Twenty-Four Hours'. 

Part 1 of 2
John Lennon & Yoko Ono 24 Hours 'The World of John & Yoko Part 1/2

Part 2 on YouTube

1972: ABC-TV broadcasts the `One To One Concert' (filmed 30 August 1972).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_in_New_York_City

ONE TO ONE CONCERT (Evening Show) - Cold Turkey - John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #263 on: December 16, 2011, 05:03:15 AM »

December 16th

1961: Performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool. 

1964: `I Feel Fine' number 1, 3rd week (UK New Musical Express chart). 

1964: End of Ringo's stay at the University College Hospital, London, after having his tonsils removed.

Beatles" Ringo Gets Tonsils Out" Newsreel 1964

1965: Granada TV broadcasts in London `The Music of Lennon and McCartney'. 

Part 1:

1966: The 4th `Christmas Record' is sent to the members of the Fan Club. 
(recorded November 25th)

1969: Lennon and Yoko go to Toronto to play in the Peace Festival. For 5 days they stay at Ronnie Hawkins's farm near Toronto. 

1969: `War Is Over! If You Want It' billboards go up in eleven cities around the world. 

2005: The surviving Beatles and relatives of the band's late members began legal action against EMI to get royalties allegedly worth £30m. Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and relations of George Harrison and John Lennon claimed EMI owed record royalties to their company Apple Corps.

2006: Sir Paul McCartney said he left EMI, his record label of 45 years, as it had become "boring" and he had "dreaded going to see" its executives. McCartney told The Times that the company's handling of his music had become "symbolic of the treadmill". The ex-Beatle went on to sign a deal with Starbucks' label, Hear Music.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:34:19 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2011, 07:36:15 AM »

December 17th

1960: Returning from Hamburg, The Beatles appeared at the Casbah Coffee Club in Liverpool. Chas Newby joined The Beatles on bass guitar (to replace Stuart Sutcliffe, who had remained in Hamburg), a position he would hold for only two weeks and four performances. When Newby bowed out to return to college, Paul McCartney became The Beatles' bass player.

"I started playing acoustic guitar and then progressed to the bass guitar. I never wanted to be a professional musician – I had always longed to be a scientist." … Chas Newby
In fact, during his brief stint with the Beatles, Chas was on vacation from a university he was attending. John Lennon asked him to go with The Beatles to Germany when they were to make their second trip there, but he chose to return to the university instead. Newby would later become a Mathematics teacher at Droitwich Spa High School in Worcestershire, England … and he has never regretted his decision.
http://www.streamingoldies.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2391

1961: In December 1961 The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein contacted a local wedding photographer, Albert Marrion, to see if he could take some pictures of the group. The session, which took place on this day, was The Beatles' first professional photography session.
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1961/12/17/beatles-first-photo-session/

1961: Performance at the Casbah Coffee Club in West Derby, Liverpool. 

1962: Transmission of a performance for Granada TV's `People And Places'. 

1963: James Carroll at WWDC in Washington, DC, became the first disc jockey to broadcast a Beatles record on American radio. Carroll played 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', which he had obtained from his stewardess girlfriend, who brought the single back from the UK. Due to listener demand, the song was played daily, every hour. Since it hadn't been released yet in the States, Capitol Records initially considered court action, but instead released the single earlier than planned.

1963: The Playhouse Theatre, London. 3.00-6.30pm. Recording for BBC's `Saturday Club': `All I Want For Christmas'; `All My Loving'; `This Boy'; `I Want To Hold Your Hand'; `Till There Was You'; `Roll Over Beethoven'; `She Loves You'; `Crimble Medley'. Christmas special edition. 

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/17/radio-saturday-club-6/

Saturday Club Crimble Medley/Christmas Greetings/White Christmas - The Beatles

1965: The 3rd `Christmas Record' is sent to the members of the Fan Club.

The Beatles - Christmas Record 1965

http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=399

1967: Hanover Banquet Rooms, London. Party hosted by John and George for the Area Secretaries of the Official Beatles Fan Club and other friends. Screening of a preview of `Magical Mystery Tour' and `The Beatles at Shea Stadium'. 

1968: New York premiere of `Candy', a movie featuring an appearance by Ringo.

1969: John announces a plan for a peace festival in Toronto, to take place from 3 to 5 July 1970. 

1977: George Harrison played an unannounced live set for the regulars at his local pub in Henley-On-Thames.

2010: Sir Paul McCartney performed an intimate lunchtime gig at the 100 Club on London's Oxford Street, the historic music venue threatened with closure. Around 300 fans were treated to a set lasting almost two hours, in what was McCartney’s smallest gig in the UK for nearly 10 years. A campaign to keep the 100 Club open had attracted support from Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie and Sir Mick Jagger.

PAUL McCARTNEY Live at the 100 Club London 2010
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #265 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:39 AM »

December 18th

1931: Allen Klein is born in Newark, New Jersey. 

1961: Ron White of EMI sends an apology to Epstein, rejecting the group. 

1961: Performance at noontime in the Cavern Club in Liverpool. 

1962: On their fifth visit to West Germany The Beatles played the first night of a two-week engagement at the Star-Club, Hamburg. A 13 night run, playing 3 hours each night. The final night's performance was recorded and became known as ‘The Star-Club Tapes’, released in 1977 against the wishes of the ex-Beatles themselves.

1963:  BBC Paris Studio, London. 7.00-10.30pm. Recording for BBC's `From Us To You' (1st edition): `From Us To You'; `She Loves You'; `All My Loving'; `Roll Over Beethoven'; `Till There Was You'; `Boys'; `Money (That's What I Want)'; `I Saw Her Standing There'; `Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport'; `I Want To Hold Your Hand'; `From Us To You'. 

1964:  The 2nd `Christmas Record' is sent to the members of the Fan Club. 

The Beatles - Christmas Record 1964

http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=398

1964:  Bud Ornstein, British production head of United Artists, quits his job and announces he and Brian will form Pickfair Films Limited, film producing company. 

1966: Warner Theatre, London. World premiere: `The Family Way'. Paul and Jane attend. 

1966: Tara Browne dies.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/12/18/tara-browne-dies/

1967:  Paul and Jane stay at Paul's High Park Farm, near Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland. 

1968:  Royal Albert Hall, London. `Celebration In December-A Community Benefit', alternative Christmas event. John and Yoko appear in a white bag, act called `Alchemical Wedding'. 

1970: An eighth `Christmas Record' is sent to the members of the Fan Club. It is an LP containing all previous 7 Christmas records. 

2004: A guitar played by George Harrison and John Lennon sold for £294,000 ($570,000) at auction in New York. The Gibson SG guitar was used by Harrison from 1966 to 1969, including the recording of Revolver, and by Lennon during White Album sessions. Other items sold in the Christie's auction included a letter by Kurt Cobain, which fetched £10,000 ($19,400), and a school book report by Britney Spears (£1,000).
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »

December 19th

1962: Night. Performance at the Star Club. 

1964: `Beatles For Sale' number 1, 1st week (UK Record Retailer chart). 

1969  The 7th Christmas Record is sent to the members of the Fan Club.

The Beatles - Christmas Record 1969 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=403

1969:  In a discussion filmed in Missisauga, Ontario John Lennon and Yoko Ono spoke about their latest peace effort-- the controversial 'War Is Over' billboard campaign. The interview was conducted by author and media theorist Marshall McLuhan. McLuhan is widely regarded as one of the most important 20th-century communications theorists, whose books include 'Understanding Media' (1964), 'The Medium Is the Massage' (1967), and 'War and Peace in the Global Village' (1968).

- Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »

December 20th

1958  The Quarry Men perform at George's brother Harry's wedding reception at 25 Upton Green in Speke, Liverpool, the Harrison family home.

1961:  Performance in the evening at the Cavern Club in Liverpool with the Strangers and Mark Peters and the Cyclones. 

1962:  Night. Performance at the Star Club. 

1968: The Beatles sixth Christmas record "The Beatles' 1968 Christmas Record", was sent to fan club members in the UK and the US. It included the song ‘Nowhere Man’ sung by Tiny Tim.

The Beatles - Christmas Record 1968 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

http://www.dmbeatles.com/song.php?song=402
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:43:10 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2011, 03:27:03 AM »

December 21st

1963: First `Christmas Show', at the Gaumont, Bradford, with various artists managed by Brian. 

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/21/live-gaumont-cinema-bradford-2/

1963: 10.00-12.00am. BBC's `Saturday Club' broadcast (recorded 17 December 1963). 

1967: Westbourne Suite, Royal Lancaster Hotel. Party to celebrate the BBC transmision of `Magical Mystery Tour'. All Beatles attend.

http://lifeofthebeatles.blogspot.com/2010/12/john-lennon-pattie-boyd-and-lulu.html
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #269 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:11 AM »

December 22nd

1963: The Beatles appeared at the Empire Theatre in Liverpool. This appearance was the second concert-only preview of their ‘The Beatles' Christmas Show’, which would open in London in two days.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/22/live-empire-theatre-liverpool-8/

1963: ABC-TV broadcasts the concert at the Ardwick Apollo, Manchester (recorded 20 November 1963). Recording of Christmas edition of `Thank Your Lucky Stars'. 

1966: http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/12/22/mixing-editing-strawberry-fields-forever/

1981: At a rock & roll memorabilia auction in London, a stage suit worn by John Lennon sold for £2,300, a letter from Paul McCartney to a fan sold for £2,200 and a Perspex sculpture of John & Yoko was bought by singer Kate Bush for £4,200.

2010: The Abbey Road zebra crossing in north London, made famous after appearing on a Beatles album cover was given Grade II listed status. The crossing, the first of its kind to be listed, was being recognized for its "cultural and historical importance" following advice from English Heritage. The Beatles were photographed on Abbey Road in Ian Macmillan's iconic cover shot for the 1969 album ‘Abbey Road’.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:34 AM »

December 23rd

1961:  Performance at the Cavern. 
1963:  Radio Luxembourg's `It's The Beatles' series begins. 
1966 : UK release of single “Love in the Open Air” and “Theme From the Family Way”, composed by Paul McCartney and recorded by The George Martin Orchestra.

Paul McCartney - Love In The Open Air (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

George Martin - Theme from The Family Way (1966) (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1969: 10.30am. The Ottawa press is surprised by the announcement of an imminent meeting of Lennon and Canada Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau. 10.55am. A limousine takes John and Yoko into Canadian Parliament's building, for a 55-minute meeting with Pierre Trudeau. After the meeting, John and Yoko are interviewed by the press. John declares to the Canadian press about his pro-active peace movement: "Peace is no violence, no frustration, no fear," John Lennon said in a C.B.C. interview, "If I smile at you, you're liable to smile back. We're smiling at the world." From the ministerial office the Lennons are driven to the Ministery of Public Health, to meet the Minister of Public Health, John Munro, and members of his department. 

1972: Film `Imagine' is broadcast on US TV.

2002: Sir Paul McCartney was granted his own coat of arms by the College of Arms. The honor featured a Liver Bird, highlighting his Liverpool connections.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »

December 24th

1960: Concert at the Corporation's Grosvenor Ballroom, Grosvenor Road, Liscard, Wallasey, Cheshire. 

1964: Start of the daily `Beatles Christmas Shows', at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London, with Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas, Tommy Quickly, Cilla Black, and the Fourmost, plus the Barron Knights with the Duke D'Mond, and Rolf Harris as compere. Photographer Dezo Hoffmann attends. After the show, Brian hires a night flight to take most of the bill to Liverpool for Christmas. 

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/12/24/the-beatles-christmas-show/

1965: Various music and entertainment newspapers publish NEMS Enterprises Christmas greetings.

1965: The Beatles had the number one album in the US for the third Christmas in a row. 'Rubber Soul' sat atop the LP chart in '65, following 'Beatles For Sale' in 1964 and 'With The Beatles' in 1963. The Fab Four would repeat this feat again in 1968 with 'The Beatles' (The White Album) and again in 1969, with 'Abbey Road'.

1969: 6.00-7.00pm. Broadcast of Martin's `With A Little Help From My Friends' show, produced by Yorkshire Television, transmitted by IBA, with Ringo, Lulu, the Hollies, Spike Milligan, Dudley Moore, Blue Mink, Pan's People. Ringo sings `With A Little Help From My Friends'.

2000: `Beatles 1' number 1, 6th week. 

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2011, 06:49:45 AM »

December 25th

1959: Ringo receives his first drum kit, as a Christmas present.

1962: Night off from performances at the Star Club. 

1963: The flight hired by Brian takes the Christmas Show bill back from Liverpool, in time for this day's performance. `Beatles Christmas Show' at the Astoria, Finsbury Park, London. 

1965: George asks Pattie to marry him.

1965: Appearance on BBC-radio's `Saturday Club'. 

1967: Official announcement of Paul and Jane's engagement. 

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #273 on: December 26, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »

December 26th

1961: The Beatles (billed as the Beetles) perform on the `Big Beat Ball' at the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes and Tony Osborne and his Band from 20:00 to 23:00.

1963: Capitol Records, the EMI-affiliated company which rejected the US rights to every Beatles record that they were offered until then, finally released 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' backed with 'I Saw Her Standing There'. The song was currently topping the UK chart with 'This Boy' on the flip side. Within five weeks, the record would rise to number one in the US, where it would stay for seven weeks. The song was recorded the previous October and the hit version was take number 17.

1963: US single release: `I Want To Hold Your Hand'/`I Saw Her Standing There'. 

1963:`Beatles Christmas Show', at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London. 

1963: 10.00-12.00am. 1st BBC's `From Us To You' broadcast (recorded 18 December 1963). 

1964: 10.00-12.00am. BBC's `Saturday Club' broadcast (recorded 25 November 1964). 

1964: `Another Beatles Christmas Show' at the Hammersmith Odeon, London (two performances). 

http://childofnaturebeatles.blogspot.com/2007/12/another-beatles-christmas-show-1964.html

1965: While spending Christmas at his father's home in Cheshire, Paul McCartney crashed the moped he was riding and suffered a five-inch cut to his mouth.

1966: John appears on a Christmas sketch for the TV program `Not Only... But Also'.  (filmed November 27th)

1967: BBC-TV broadcasts the `Magical Mystery Tour' film. 

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/mmt.htm

1970: George Harrison started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord', making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.

1975: Recording of George appearance on BBC-TV's `Rutland Weekend Television' show. 

George Harrison on Rutland Weekend Television (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #274 on: December 27, 2011, 02:25:13 AM »

December 27th

1958: While attending a class at the Liverpool College of Art, John Lennon meets student Cynthia Powell, later to become his first wife.

1960: Returning from their extended Hamburg stint (and without Stu Sutcliffe, who would never rejoin), the Beatles play Liverpool's Litherland Town Hall Ballroom, inciting the first flush of what was later called "Beatlemania." Part of it has to do with the billing: since the Beatles were a last-minute add, posters described them as "Direct from Hamburg," causing attendees to think this was a famous German band. The crowd rushes the stage during the opening number, "Long Tall Sally," causing the media to take note of the mass adoration for the first time.

1961:  Christmas Party performance at the Cavern, with Gerry and the Pacemakers, and Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes. 

1963, The music critics from the UK newspaper The Times, named John Lennon and Paul McCartney as The Outstanding Composers of 1963. Two days later, the Sunday Times' music critic Richard Buckle proclaims the same two songwriters "the greatest composers since Beethoven."

1963: `Beatles Christmas Show', at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London. 

1963:  UK single release: `Love Of The Loved', with Cilla Black. 

1967:  Wembley TV Studios, Wembley, Middlesex. Paul is interviewed live for TV's `The Frost Programme' by David Frost.

http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=63

1980: John and Yoko's 'Double Fantasy' album started an eight-week run at No.1 on the US chart. 'Just Like Starting Over' started a five-week stay at No.1 on the singles chart.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #275 on: December 28, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »

December 28th

1963: `With The Beatles' number 1, 4th week (UK Record Retailer chart). 

1963: `Beatles Christmas Show', at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London. 

1963: `New Yorker' publishes a Brian Epstein interview. 1st serious article about the Beatles or Brian in the US. 

ABSTRACT:  Interview with Brian Epstein, manager of the Beatles four young men from Liverpool, who have become the rage of teen-agers in England, Epstein came over here to arrange for three appearances of the Beatles on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in February. Mr. Epstein said that Mr. Sullivan knew a good thing when he saw it. The Beatles have broken every conceivable entertainment record in England. They are the most worshipped, the most idolized boys in the country, according to Mr. Epstein.
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1963/12/28/1963_12_28_023_TNY_CARDS_000275480#ixzz1hnEZD2yj ($5.99 to access entire article; free for New Yorker subscribers)

1964: `Another Beatles Christmas Show' at the Hammersmith Odeon, London (two performances). 

1968: `Hey Jude', 18th and last week in the Top 30 (Billboard). 

1968: The Beatles (White Album) began a nine week run as the number one US album, making it a simultaneous US/UK #1.

1971: George Harrison was at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Sweet Lord', making him the first Beatle to score a No.1 US hit. The song was originally intended for Billy Preston.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:28:22 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Ovi

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »

Thank you, In My Life for taking daily the time to post those. Your effort is appreciated. ;)
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2011, 02:11:12 AM »

Thank you, In My Life for taking daily the time to post those. Your effort is appreciated. ;)

You're very welcome and I'm glad you enjoy it. I really like doing it!
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2011, 02:14:30 AM »

December 29th

1961: Evening: Performance at the Cavern, with the Yorkshire Jazz Band. 

1963: 12:50am. New York WMCA broadcasts `I Want to Hold Your Hand' for the first time in the USA. 

Some say it was KIOA in Des Moines, Iowa in early December (after broadcasting “I Saw Her Standing There on November 29th) or maybe it was WWDC in Washington, DC on December 17th.
http://www.pophistorydig.com/?tag=%E2%80%9Ci-want-to-hold-your-hand%E2%80%9D-history

This website begs to differ and goes to great lengths to prove it:
"DICK BIONDI is one of the legendary voices of rock and roll history.  He certainly deserves a place in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, along side ALAN FREED, WOLFMAN JACK, DICK CLARK and some of the other pioneers of Rock's Golden Age.  His career achievements and nationwide recognition speak for themselves.  If it's ALSO true that Biondi just happens to be the first dj in the country to play a record by THE BEATLES, then this is just further proof of his rightful place in the Hall.   We were fortunate enough to speak with Mr. Biondi one-on-one prior to this article's first publication in FORGOTTEN HITS and he confirms that, based on all the information he has seen over the years, he was, in fact, the first deejay in America to play a BEATLES record back in February of 1963.  He's a little upset that "those Washington guys are getting all the credit" and acknowledges that a few people in the past have also tried to set the record straight.  We assured him that that was exactly our goal.  Hopefully, we have done so in this special series.  We gave him an advance copy of this entire article and asked him to check it for accuracy and content, assuring him that we would correct any errors he could find as well as print his own personal comments and memories ... he decided instead to let the article run exactly "as is" ... and that's EXACTLY what you've all been reading here today."
http://forgottenhits.com/who_played_the_very_first_beatles_record_in_america

Puzzly, puzzle…

1963: The Sunday Times critic Richard Buckle praises the Beatles as the greatest composers since Beethoven. 

1964:`Another Beatles Christmas Show' at the Hammersmith Odeon, London (two performances). 

1964: The Liverpool Youth Employment Service announced that some school leavers were finding it difficult to get jobs because their ‘Beatle’ style haircuts and clothing were unacceptable to employers.

1966: Working at Abbey Road studios, London, Paul McCartney began work on his new song ‘Penny Lane’, recording six takes of keyboard tracks and various percussion effects.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-beatles-songs-20110919/penny-lane-19691231
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #279 on: December 30, 2011, 03:56:26 AM »

December 30th

1961: Evening: performance at the Cavern Club in Liverpool with Gerry and the Pacemakers. 

1963 : `Beatles Christmas Show', at the Astoria Cinema, Finsbury Park, London.

1969 : The Desmond Morris interview with John for ATV's `Man Of The Decade', recorded on December 2nd, 1969, aired on this date.

1994: Evening: Maureen Cox dies in Seattle. Ringo, her husband Isaac Tigrett, Zak, Jason and Lee are with her.

Tribute For Maureen Starkey - Little Willow (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Page created in 4.095 seconds with 27 queries.