A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 95208 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #420 on: April 10, 2012, 03:31:42 AM »

April 8th

1961:  Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1962:  Performance at the Casbah Coffee Club

1963:  John Charles Julian Lennon was born at the General Hospital, Sefton, Liverpool.

April 6: In the afternoon, while shopping with her friend Phyllis in Penny Lane, Cynthia had her first signs of labor. Later that evening, Cynthia arrived at Sefton General Hospital via an ambulance in labor.

April 8: At 7:45, after two days of labor, John Charles Julian Lennon is born…weighing 6lbs., 11oz…..John was on tour at the time and didn’t get to see Julian until a week following his birth.

April 15: John sneaks into Sefton General Hospital wearing a disguise consisting of a hat, fake moustache and dark glasses. He told Cynthia, “He’s bloody marvelous, Cyn. Isn’t he absolutely fantastic? Who’s going to be a famous little rocker like his dad?” http://www.julianlennon.com/biography#biography/?article_id=89&_suid=133400722545701485525645333476

1963:  Performance at Swimming Baths, High Road Leyton, Leyton, London?

Mark Lewisohn gives April 5th as the date for this engagement and so do the other sources I’ve checked, but this handbill suggests otherwise:

Whatever the case, that same evening DJ Norman Scott took this photo:

What Paul is trying to cover with his right hand:
http://www.multiplusbooks.com/630408.html

1964:  `Please Please Me' LP, 55th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). `With The Beatles' number 1, 20th week (UK New Musical Express chart). `Can't Buy Me Love' number 1, 3rd week (UK New Musical Express chart). 

1965:  Filming: Help!
Four scenes were filmed for Help! on this day, at Twickenham Film Studios in England, two of which featured The Beatles. The first, the washroom scene involving an overactive hand drier, involved each member of the group. The second, meanwhile, was a solo sequence featuring Ringo Starr in a bathroom, and was left out of the final cut. In the evening The Beatles attended the launch night of Downstairs At The Pickwick, a London nightclub. Situated at 15-18 Great Newport Street, London, it was often frequented by the group in the months that followed.

1966:  Recording: Got To Get You Into My Life
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/08/recording-got-to-get-you-into-my-life/

1967:  Paul McCartney and Mal Evans holiday in Denver
Paul McCartney and Mal Evans continued their stay in Denver, Colorado on this day, without Jane Asher, who was appearing in a matinée performance of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in the city. McCartney and Evans drove into the Rocky Mountains past Central City into the old Boodle Mine. During the trip their hired car got stuck in snow and mud, but they eventually made their way back to Central City and ate a meal in Paul's Café. Afterwards they watched a local country singer perform across the road in the Gilded Garter bar. The pair returned to Denver in time to see the Old Vic theatre company's performance of Romeo and Juliet. BeatlesBible.com

1967:  1967, John Lennon took his Rolls Royce to coachbuilders J.P. Fallon Ltd in Surrey to enquire if they could paint his car in psychedelic colours. This was based on an idea by Marijke Koger ("The Fool" who was a member of Dutch team of gypsy artists). J.P. Fallon commissioned Steve Weaver's pattern of scroll and flowers for the Phantom V. The cost for having the work done came in at £2,000. A custom interior/exterior sound system was also installed as well as a Sony television; telephone (WEYBRIDGE 46676) and a portable refrigerator.
http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/search_result

1968:  US gold certification: `Lady Madonna'. 

1971:  UK single release: `It Don't Come Easy' (Ringo)

1974:  Single `Band on the Run' reaches number 1 in USA.  (Paul McCartney and Wings)

1977:  Released on this date:

The Beatles Live At The Star Club 23/29 - I'm Talking About You

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:46:26 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #421 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »

April 9th

1932:  Carl Perkins is born in Lake City, Tennessee. 

Carl Lee Perkins (April 9, 1932 – January 19, 1998) was an American rockabilly musician who recorded most notably at Sun Records Studio in Memphis, Tennessee, beginning during 1954.

During May 1964, Perkins toured England along with Chuck Berry. The Animals backed the two performers. On the last night of the tour, Perkins attended a party that turned out to be for him, and ended up sitting on the floor sharing stories, playing guitar, and singing songs while surrounded by The Beatles. Ringo Starr asked if he could record "Honey Don't". "Man," answered Perkins, "go ahead, have at it." The Beatles would cover "Matchbox", "Honey Don't" and "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" recorded by Perkins but adapted from a song originally recorded by Rex Griffin during 1936 with new music composed by Carl Perkins, a song with the same title also recorded by Roy Newman in 1938. The Beatles recorded two versions of "Glad All Over" in 1963.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Perkins

Carl Perkins

Rocker has key memory of Beatles

Carl Perkins had a notable meeting with the Beatles. The rocker was once a guest of the Fab Four in London and George Harrison asked him to play the first few bars of his Honey Don’t. Mr. Perkins obliged, then Mr. Harrison turned to fellow Beatles John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr and said: “See, I told you we’ve been doing it in the wrong key.” The Beatles later recorded Honey Don’t-in the right key. Wilmington Morning Star, November 22, 1995

Very in-depth article on Everybody's Trying to be My Baby here

The Beatles also recorded these songs from the "Rockin' Guitar Man", during BBC performances:

Glad All Over (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Lend Me Your Comb (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1985:

There's lots of shorter clips from this but it's really worth it to watch the whole thing:

Rockabilly Session: Carl Perkins and Friends (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

http://beatlesource.com/savage/1961/61.03.27%2007.02%20top%20ten/03%20Gerd%20Mingram/mingram.html

1963:  Radio: Pop Inn
12.30pm
The Beatles were in the BBC Paris Studio in London between 12.30 and 1.45pm for an interview on the BBC Light Programme radio show Pop Inn.
The Beatles didn't perform on the show, although their forthcoming single From Me To You was played. Pop Inn was broadcast live from 1pm, and the other guests were DJ David Jacobs, comedian Arthur Askey and pianist Winifred Atwell.

Television: Tuesday Rendezvous
2.00pm
Following their appearance on the BBC radio show Pop Inn, The Beatles went to Wembley Studios for a booking on the children's television programme Tuesday Rendezvous.
The show was broadcast live by Associated-Rediffusion from Studio Four between 5pm and 5.55pm, although The Beatles arrived for a rehearsal at 2pm. During the show the group mimed to From Me To You, plus less than a minute of Please Please Me as the closing credits rolled.

Live: Gaumont State Cinema, Kilburn, London
8:00pm

1964:  Filming: A Hard Day's Night
Ringo Starr was the only Beatle to take part in this day's filming for A Hard Day's Night. His riverside scene was filmed along the River Thames towpath and embankment in Kew, Surrey, without the other Beatles being present. Ringo Starr was praised for his acting in the scene, although he later admitted he had been hungover after a night of heavy drinking.
“Getting up early in the morning wasn't our best talent and there's an example of that in one scene: the one for which I got really good credit, walking by the river with a camera - the 'lonely guy' piece. I had come directly to work from a nightclub (very unprofessional) and was a little hungover, to say the least. Dick Lester had all his people there, and the kid that I was supposed to be doing the scene with, but I had no brain. I'd gone.
We tried it several ways. They tried it with the kid doing his lines and someone off camera shouting mine. Then they had me doing the lines of the kid and the kid going 'blah blah blah'. Or me saying, 'And another thing, little guy...' I was so out of it, they said, 'Well' let's do anything.' I said, 'Let me just walk around and you film me,' and that's what we did. And why I look so cold and dejected is because I felt like sh*t. There's no acting going on; I felt that bad.” Ringo Starr, Anthology

The scene in which Starr trips over the tyre on the embankment had to be shot numerous times, as it failed to roll correctly. Eventually it was handed to the young boy, David Janson, with whom Ringo acted alongside the river; Janson rolled the tyre perfectly on his first attempt.
BeatlesBible.com

@8:35:
The Beatles (6/9): A hard day's night (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

The Beatles filmed an unused scene for Help! on this day. It was set in a warehouse, and also involved Superindendent Gluck (played by Patrick Cargill), seven policemen, and a dozen gang members led by Clang (Leo McKern). BeatlesBible.com

1965:  UK single release: Ticket to Ride
The first song released to the public from The Beatles' forthcoming Help! album was the Ticket To Ride single, released as Parlophone R 5265.
The b-side was Yes It Is, John Lennon's attempt to rewrite his earlier This Boy. The single entered the UK charts on 15 April. The following week reached number one, where it remained for three weeks. In all it spent 12 weeks in the hit parade.

1967:  Paul McCartney flies from Denver to Los Angeles
On 4 April 1967, Paul McCartney and Mal Evans had flown from England to the United States to meet Jane Asher on her 21st birthday. They spent several days on holiday in central and West Coast USA.
Asher was touring a production of Shakespeare's Romeo And Juliet with the Old Vic theatre company, and on this day they flew out of Denver, where they had been based for a few days. McCartney and Evans stayed behind and visited the city's Red Rocks Amphitheater, where The Beatles had performed on 26 August 1964. Bert Rosenthal, whose house McCartney and Asher had stayed in during their Denver trip, then drove them to the airport. Their hired Lear jet took them to Los Angeles, where they stayed for two nights at the home of Derek Taylor and his wife Joan. BeatlesBible.com

1969:  Voyage of the Fritz Photo Session

More here:
http://www.nemsworld.com/beatles/fritz/fritz.htm

1969:  More location filming for Ringo in The Magic Christian, situated inside and outside Barclays Bank’s rowing club on the River Thames at Putney, in south-west London. In this scene, Sir Guy Grand bribes the Oxford University crew to lose their annual boat race against Cambridge University.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 319

@ 5:00
The Magic Christian (1969) - 7 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1970:  Paul McCartney phones John Lennon at Tittenhurst (where he is undergoing Primal Scream therapy with Arthur Janov), to inform him of the release of his solo album McCartney. However, Paul avoids telling John that he is leaving The Beatles. John recalled: “Paul said to me, ‘I’m doing what you and Yoko were doing last year.’ So I said to him, ‘Good luck to yer.’” John hears of the split like everyone else when it hits the papers.
http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april9.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:18:36 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »

April 10th

http://www.hillmanweb.com/BEATLES/

1962:  Stuart Sutcliffe died in Hamburg, Germany.

http://www.stuartsutcliffeart.com/about-stuart/

1963:  Performance at the Majestic Ballroom, Birkenhead
This was the Beatles’ last performance at this venue. Lewisohn

http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-at-the-majestic-ballroom/

1963:  `Please Please Me' LP, 3rd week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). 

The Beatles returned to Twickenham Film Studios on this day to film the production office sequences for A Hard Day's Night.

1964:  US LP release: The Beatles' Second Album
The follow-up to Meet The Beatles! was issued on this day by the group's US label Capitol.  The Beatles' Second Album was actually their third long player in the United States, if the Introducing The Beatles, released by Vee-Jay in January 1964, is included. The album contained songs from four different UK releases: With The Beatles, Thank You Girl from the From Me To You single, both sides of She Loves You/I'll Get You, and You Can't Do That from the Can't Buy Me Love single. Two new songs, Long Tall Sally and I Call Your Name, were also included. The Beatles' Second Album topped the US album charts, replacing Meet The Beatles!; this was the first time an artist replaced itself at the number one spot in America.

1965:  Television: Top of the Pops

The Beatles filmed an appearance for the BBC television show Top of the Pops on this day at Riverside Studios in London. They performed two songs: Ticket to Ride and Yes It Is.  This was the last time the group recorded a mimed performance exclusively for the show. Rehearsals and filming began at 1.30pm. The Beatles wore the fawn-coloured jackets they would later wear for their Shea Stadium concert on 15 August 1965. The edition of Top of the Pops, the BBC's flagship music programme, was shown on Thursday 15 April from 7.30-8pm. It was later wiped by the BBC, in common with their archiving rules at the time. However, a snippet of the performance was included in an episode of Doctor Who entitled The Executioners, part of a mini series known as The Chase. The episode was first screened on 22 May; although the episode of Top of the Pops did not survive, the episode of Doctor Who did, and as a result part of The Beatles' performance from this day was preserved. The episode was originally to have included The Beatles appearing as themselves in the future, wearing make-up to look older. However, Brian Epstein objected and the producers used the Top of the Pops performance instead.

Beatles on Top of the Pops

1965:  US promoter Sid Bernstein met with Brian at the Waldorf Towers, New York City and paid him a $ 100,000, advance for the upcoming Shea Stadium concert. 

1967:  Paul McCartney performs on The Beach Boys' Vegetables
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/10/paul-mccartney-performs-on-the-beach-boys-vegetables/

1970:  UK LP release: `McCartney' 

1970:  Paul McCartney announces his resignation from The Beatles, one week before the UK release of his solo album McCartney. The world is shocked. John Lennon, who had kept his much-earlier decision to leave The Beatles quiet for the sake of the others, is furious, feeling (justifiably) betrayed by McCartney's pre-emptive strike, which obviously was aimed at obtaining maximum momentum for McCartney himself. When a reporter calls Lennon for a comment upon McCartney's resignation, Lennon says, "...Paul hasn't left. I sacked him." Things get worse when McCartney issues a printed "self-interview" with advance promotional copies of the McCartney album. Some of the answers to the interview questions come across as petty and self-serving. Derek Taylor’s press release read as follows: “Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on.” http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april10.html

Paul McCartney Interview: Beatles Break-up 4/9/1970

ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW:
This printed interview appeared on April 9th 1970 as a press release in advance promotional copies of Paul McCartney's first solo album entitled 'McCartney.' :
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1970.0417.beatles.html

The Beatles' final press release:
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1970/04/10/the-beatles-final-press-release/

Article on the break-up:
http://beatlesnumber9.com/breakup.html

Time Photos: The Beatles’ Final Year:
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1978942_2101115,00.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:29:50 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #423 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:29 AM »

April 11th

1961:   Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1962:  John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Pete Best fly to Hamburg

John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Pete Best flew out of Manchester destined for Germany on this day, for their first residency at the Star-Club in Hamburg. George Harrison was unwell at the time, and so flew to Germany the following day with The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein. Lennon, McCartney and Best were met at the airport in Hamburg by Astrid Kirchherr, whose fiancee Stuart Sutcliffe had died of a brain haemorrhage the previous day. The loss was devastating for The Beatles. The group performed at the Star-Club on Hamburg's Grosse Freiheit from Friday 13 April to Thursday 31 May, a seven-week, 48-night residency.
BeatlesBible.com

This photo of John in Stuart's loft studio, taken by Astrid Kircherr shortly after his arrival, conveys the depth of his grief better than any words could.

More photos from that day here

1963:  UK single release: From Me to You

The Beatles' third UK single was released on 11 April 1963. Whereas Please Please Me had only topped some of the singles charts, From Me To You was an unequivocal smash hit. Its catalogue number was Parlophone R 5015, and the b-side was Thank You Girl. Nine days after its release From Me To You began its 21-week run in the UK charts; it reached number one on 4 May, and remained there for seven weeks. BeatlesBible.com

1963:  Live: Co-operative Hall, Middleton
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/04/11/live-co-operative-hall-middleton/

1964:  `With The Beatles' number 1, 19th week (UK Record Retailer chart). `Can't Buy Me Love' number 1, 2nd week; 3rd week in the Top 100 (Billboard). 

1964:  The Beatles had a record 14 songs in the Top 100 (Billboard). 

1965:  Live: NME Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert

The Beatles topped the bill at the 1964-65 New Musical Express Annual Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert. It was the third consecutive year they appeared at the event, held at the Empire Pool in Wembley, London. They performed five songs before 10,000 people: I Feel Fine, She's A Woman, Baby's In Black, Ticket To Ride and Long Tall Sally. The Beatles' set was broadcast on television in the United Kingdom on 18 April 1965. BeatlesBible.com

The Beatles in the NME Concert

1965: Television: The Eamonn Andrews Show

Following their third appearance at the New Musical Express Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert, The Beatles were driven from Wembley to ABC's Teddington studios to film an appearance on The Eamonn Andrews Show.
They arrived at 6.30pm, and after changing their clothes and eating a meal, The Beatles took part in a rehearsal from 7.30-8pm. A full dress rehearsal took place from 8.45-9.30, and the show was broadcast live from 11.05-11.50pm. They appeared in three parts of the show. In the first, John Lennon joined Andrews at the presenter's desk, while George Harrison and Ringo Starr sat on a sofa and Paul McCartney was in a swivel chair. They discussed the filming of Help!, the nature of their success, and the possibility of solo careers after the group split up. In the second part they mimed to Ticket To Ride and Yes It Is. For the final segment they took part in a discussion forum, for which journalist Katherine Whitehorn and critic Wolf Mankowitz were also guests. BeatlesBible.com

http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=350

1966:  Recording, mixing: Got to Get You into My Life, Love You To
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/11/recording-mixing-got-to-get-you-into-my-life-love-you-to/

1967:  Paul McCartney performs with Brian Wilson and John and Michelle Phillips
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/11/paul-mccartney-performs-with-brian-wilson-john-michelle-phillips/

1969:  UK single release: `Get Back'/`Don't Let Me Down'.

1969:   The Beatles formally announce their plan to make a counter-offer against ATV's bid for Northern Songs. 

1970:  `Let It Be' single, 5th week in the Top 30 (Billboard). `Live Peace In Toronto', 14th week in the ranking (Billboard). 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:06:25 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2012, 02:50:23 AM »

April 12th

1962:  Brian and George travel to Hamburg, for Star Club performances. 

1963:  Night performance at the Cavern Club

A special Good Friday return to the Cavern Club, spear-heading another eight-hour “Rhythm and Blues Marathon”.  The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 106   

A week after filming chase sequences for the opening scenes of A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles returned to Marylebone Station in London to complete the scenes. This time there were no fans present, and the station was closed to the public on Sundays. The Beatles were filmed in a number of locations in the station, including running down the length of a platform to catch a moving train. BeatlesBible.com

1965:  UK LP release: `George Martin Scores Instrumental Versions of the Hits'. 

1965:  Shooting of the scene, supposedly set in Buckingham Palace, in which the Beatles, running along a corridor, are triggered into slow-motion by Professor Foot’s “Relativity Cadenza”. Lewisohn, page 188

Slow Motion Scene

Sorry...this is the best I can do right now!

1967: Paul McCartney returns to England from America
Following their week-long holiday in San Francisco, Denver and Los Angeles, Paul McCartney and Mal Evans arrived back in London, England on this day. During the flight McCartney worked on his initial ideas for the Magical Mystery Tour soundtrack and television special. The Beatles had been largely out of the public eye in recent weeks, and there had been numerous reports that they were to split. At the airport McCartney denied this, saying: "The Beatles are definitely not splitting up. We have never even thought of splitting up. We want to go on recording together. The Beatles live!" BeatlesBible.com
Paul at Heathrow Airport, London:

1968:  John Lennon and George Harrison leave Rishikesh
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/04/12/john-lennon-and-george-harrison-leave-rishikesh/

1969:  `Yellow Submarine' LP, 13th week in the Top 100 (Billboard). 

1970:  Paul incorporates McCartney Productions Ltd. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:55:32 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #425 on: April 13, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »

April 13th

1962:  Live: Star-Club, Hamburg

This date was The Beatles' first at Hamburg's Star-Club, the city's newest rock 'n' roll venue. The group spent the following seven weeks performing at the venue, notching up 172 hours of stage time over 48 nights. They finished their stint on 31 May 1962, and left Hamburg on Saturday 2 June. It was The Beatles' third residency in Hamburg within two years, but wouldn't be their last; they returned two more times to the Star-Club before the end of 1962.BeatlesBible.com

1963:  The Beatles' first national TV appearance
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/04/13/the-beatles-first-national-tv-appearance/

George Harrison filmed his solo scene for A Hard Day's Night on this morning at Twickenham Film Studios.
There was one piece of dialogue where I say, 'Oh, I'm not wearing that - that's grotty!' [Scriptwriter] Alun Owen made that up; I didn't. People have used that word for years now. It was a new expression: grotty - grotesque. I suppose he thought that being from Liverpool, he knew our kind of humour. If there was something we really didn't like, I don't suppose we would have done it - though by the time we got to Help! (in 1965) we were cocky enough to change the dialogue as we liked. Alun wrote a scene about us being harassed by the press - which was a real part of our daily duty. They would ask things like, 'How did you find America?' and we'd say, 'Turn left at Greenland.' George Harrison, Anthology

George: Solo Scene

In the afternoon Harrison and John Lennon filmed the bathroom scene, again at Twickenham. Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were not present.
Hard Days Night - John in the Bath, George "Shaving"

I love this one:

1964:  Although the song "A Hard Day's Night" was entirely written in 1964, its origins go back to sometime in 1963.  "Ringo would always say grammatically incorrect phrases and we'd all laugh," George Harrison recalls.  McCartney concurs, "Ringo would do these little malapropisms; he would say things slightly wrong, like people do, but his were always wonderful, very lyrical, very Lewis Carroll, lovely.  They were sort of magic even though he was just getting it wrong."
As to one particular malapropism, Paul continues, "he said after a concert, 'Phew, it's been a hard day's night.'  John and I went, 'What?  What did you just say?'  He said, 'I'm bloody knackered, man, it's been a hard day's night.'"  Ringo explains, "I seem to be better now.  I used to, while I was saying one thing, have another thing come into my brain and move down fast.  Once when we were working all day and then into the night, I came out thinking it was still day and said, 'It's been a hard day,' and looked 'round and noticing it was dark, '...'s night!"
April 13th, 1964, appears to be the day that the decision was made to name the film "A Hard Day's Night."  http://www.beatlesebooks.com/hard-days-night

1964:  US gold certification: `The Beatles' Second Album'. 

1964: Tickets for The Beatles' upcoming Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane concerts went on sale on this date and immediately broke the previous Australian sales record set by Johnny Ray in 1954. Demand for tickets outstripped supply many times over - for just the four shows that The Beatles performed in Adelaide there were 50,000 requests for the 12,000 tickets put on sale. http://www.milesago.com/tours/beatles.htm

The slow-motion scene in Help!, in which The Beatles fall victim to Professor Foot's relativity cadenza, was completed on this day. The sequence had been begun on the previous day.
Filming took place at Twickenham Film Studios, England. After it was complete, director Richard Lester had no need for The Beatles to appear in the day's other scenes, which involved studio and location work. BeatlesBible.com

Radio: Pop Inn

After completing the slow-motion scene in Help! at Twickenham Film Studios in the morning, The Beatles remained on site to take part in a live radio interview for the BBC show Pop Inn.  The show took place from 1-1.55pm, although The Beatles' interview constituted only a segment of the programme. The group sat in the corporation's radio car, positioned in the studio's car park, and began their contribution at 1.45pm. BeatlesBible.com

Interview with Brian Matthew:
Transcript

Recording: Help!
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1965/04/13/recording-help/

1965:  Winners of the seventh annual Grammy Awards are announced. Record of the Year is The Girl from Ipanema by Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto. The Beatles win Best Performance by a Vocal Group for A Hard Days Night and the group is voted Best New Artists. http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april13.html

1966:  Paul McCartney buys 7 Cavendish Avenue, London

While the other Beatles were planning moves to the stockbroker belt in England's Home Counties, Paul McCartney decided to remain in the capital city. On this day he bought a house at 7 Cavendish Avenue in St John's Wood, London.  The three-storey Regency townhouse was purchased from a physician named Desmond O'Neill for £40,000. A short walk to EMI Studios on Abbey Road, it often functioned as a base for the group for meetings before or after they were recording. McCartney moved in the first week of August 1966, after he had made renovations and installed a sizeable gate and intercom system to ensure his privacy. The location was swiftly discovered by Beatles fans, however, several of whom kept a vigil at all hours and on occasion found their way inside. BeatlesBible.com

Excerpt from The Beatles London by Piet Scheuders, Mark Lewisohn and Adam Smith and a picture: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=8149.0
Thanks, Brynjar!

1966:  Recording, mixing: Love You To, Paperback Writer
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/13/recording-mixing-love-you-to-paperback-writer/

1969:  An article accusing Allen Klein of illegal activities is published in the Sunday Times “Insight” column. http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april13.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:59:15 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »

April 14th

1962:  Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany

http://beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.04.13-05.31%20star%20club/01/62.04-05starclub1.html

1963:  Television: Thank Your Lucky Stars
This was The Beatles' third appearance on the ABC Television show Thank Your Lucky Stars. It was shown in most areas covered by the ITV network on Saturday 20 April 1963 from 5.50pm. The Beatles arrived at Teddington Studios at 11am for a rehearsal. During the recording for the programme they mimed to just one song, From Me To You. The other guests on the show were the Dave Clark Five, The Vernons Girls, Bert Weedon, and Del Shannon.

The Beatles and the Vernons Girls:

1963:  The Beatles see The Rolling Stones perform for the first time
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/04/14/the-beatles-see-the-rolling-stones-perform-for-the-first-time/

The Beatles filmed studio and on-location scenes for the A Hard Day's Night film on this day, at Twickenham Film Studios and on the nearby Arlington Road. In the scene, The Beatles were stuck in a traffic jam and were shouted at by a passenger in another car. However, it was later decided that the sequence should be omitted from the final cut.

1965:  `Ticket to Ride' number 1, 1st week in the ranking (UK New Musical Express chart). 

The Beatles' first appearance in Help! was to be a scene in which their Roll-Royce dropped them in a residential street and they entered four adjacent terraced houses. The scene was filmed on this day at Ailsa Avenue in Twickenham, England. The street was located near to Twickenham Film Studios, where the bulk of the film was made. Ringo Starr entered number five, John Lennon went into number seven, Paul McCartney number nine and George Harrison number 11. A number of other street scenes were also filmed on this day at Ailsa Avenue. The interior scenes in the houses, which turned out to be an extensive living area, were filmed at Twickenham Film Studios.

1966:  Recording, mixing: Paperback Writer, Rain
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/14/recording-mixing-paperback-writer-rain/

1969:  Recording, mixing: The Ballad of John and Yoko
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/04/14/recording-mixing-the-ballad-of-john-and-yoko/
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #427 on: April 15, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »

April 15th

1941:  Jim McCartney marries Mary Mohin
Fourteen months before the birth of their eldest son Paul, James McCartney married Mary Mohin in Liverpool, England. The couple had met during an air raid on the city in June 1940. They found common ground and began courting, and took out a marriage licence at Liverpool Town Hall on 8 April 1941. The wedding took place at St Swithin's Roman Catholic church in Gillmoss in Liverpool's West Derby region. They first lived together at 10 Sunbury Road, Anfield, before moving to a succession of houses. After the birth of their sons, Mary chose to move frequently to better neighbourhoods in Liverpool, in order to give her children the best possible start in life.BeatlesBible.com

As with the previous Hamburg visit in 1960, specific date information apparently does not exist. Sometime during this visit, Paul's Rosetti "bass" was allegedly smashed. As a result, he played piano and/or simply sang during performances. It has been reported that he would play Stu's Hofner bass upside-down but no photos seem to exist. As a result, it was during this trip when Paul pruchased his first now-famous Hofner "violin' bass at a local Hamburg Steinway music shop. It became the second Beatles' guitar pruchased in Hamburg that would become a world-famous Beatles' icon. BeatleSource.com

A 20-year-old John on his recently purchased Rickenbacker 325 in 1961 at the Top Ten Club in Hamburg.

http://thehamburgbeatles.blogspot.com/2010_10_01_archive.html (Blog no longer available)

More of George showing off:
http://beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.04.13-05.31%20star%20club/62.04-05starclub.html

1963:  Live: Bridge Hotel, Tenbury Wells

This was The Beatles’ only performance in the small market town of Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire. The concert took place at the Riverside Dancing Club in the Bridge Hotel. For a group clearly on the cusp of success, The Beatles wouldn't have performed in such a small venue and town, but for Brian Epstein's commitment to honour all bookings they had made. The group often resented having to perform at small venues, but such appearances helped them connect with their audiences at this crucial time. BeatlesBible.com

With The Beatles (on the Shropshire border)
They were hurtling towards number one in the pop charts and starting to generate the kind of hysteria that would make young girls and boys scream like jet planes.
It was at this moment that Tenbury Wells woman Pat Lambert sat down for supper with The Beatles.
More here

I saw The Beatles play Tenbury Wells
by Pat Lambert

The story of how The Beatles - who'd just had their first number one - came to play a tiny club, in Worcestershire, from someone who was in the audience that night.

1963:  John Lennon visits with his wife and new son Julian and names Brian Epstein as the baby's godfather.
http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-national/some-days-the-beatles-lives-april-15-let-it-be-an-oscar#ixzz1s2qcunfI

1964:  Filming for a Hard Day’s Night
A return to the Scala Theatre in central London, although only to the outside of the building, filming scenes in Scala Street, Tottenham Street and also Charolotte Mews. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, page 155, Mark Lewisohn, page 155

1964:  `Please Please Me' LP, 56th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). `With The Beatles' number 1, 21st and last week (UK New Musical Express chart). `Can't Buy Me Love' number 1, 4th and last week (UK New Musical Express chart). 

1964: Television: A Degree Of Frost
Paul McCartney made his first television appearance without the other Beatles on this day. He was interviewed by David Frost for the BBC show A Degree of Frost, in Studio 4 at BBC Television Centre in Wood Lane, London. The interview was recorded before a studio audience from 8.30pm, although rehearsals had begun at 10.30am. A Degree Of Frost was a one-off chat and performance show, and was first broadcast from 10.15pm on Wednesday 18 May 1964. BeatlesBible.com
Paul McCartney Interviewed By David Frost

1965:  The “Top of the Pops” episode taped on April 10th aired today.

Even though recording for “Taxman” did not begin until April 20, 1966, today seems like a good day to listen to it since this date automatically brings taxes to the mind of most Americans.

The Beatles - "Taxman" (Anthology Version)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:05:34 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:03 AM »

April 16th

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/29/9091312-remembering-george-harrison-10-years-after-his-death?lite

http://blogs.canoe.ca/parker/general/50-years-ago-today-beatles-opened-hamburgs-star-club/

1963:  BBC TV’s “625 Show”, filmed on April 13th, was broadcast today.

1963: Television: Scene At 6.30
The Beatles mimed to From Me To You on the live television programme Scene At 6.30, broadcast in the north of England. The appearance was filmed in Manchester, at Granada Television Centre's Studio Four. Rehearsals for the show took place from 3-4pm and 4.15-6pm. Scene At 6.30 was broadcast from 6.30-7pm, clashing with The Beatles' first national TV appearance, on The 625 Show, which was aired at the same time.

On 7 April 1964 The Beatles had filmed the interior scenes at the police station for A Hard Day's Night. On this day they shot the chase scenes outside. The interior scenes had been filmed at Twickenham Film Studios. For this day's work, The Beatles were outside St John's (Church of England) Secondary School at 83 Clarendon Road in London's Notting Hill Gate, and in the surrounding streets. The school was later demolished to make way for a housing development. A sequence was also filmed at nearby Heathfield Street, a cul-de-sac, with The Beatles running to a dead end, stopping, then returning the way they came. A still from this scene was later used on the cover of The Beatles: Rock Band. An unused scene was also shot outside the Portland Arms pub, with The Beatles running in the Portland Road entrance and leaving via the Penzance Place door. BeatlesBible.com
A Hard Day's Night - John, Paul and George find Ringo in the Police Station (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964:  Recording: A Hard Day's Night
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/04/16/recording-a-hard-days-night/

1965:  Television: Ready, Steady, Go! 
The Beatles had performed on the popular ITV music show Ready, Steady, Go! on three prior occasions, but preferred not to do so again. In order to promote their Ticket To Ride single, John Lennon and George Harrison gave an interview at production company Rediffusion's Wembley Studios. The Good Friday show was broadcast live from 6.08-7pm. Lennon and Harrison were interviewed by the host Cathy McGowan. The other guests included Adam Faith, Doris Troy, The Kinks and Herman's Hermits. Between 2 April and 4 June, the programme's title was changed to Ready Steady Goes Live! to reflect its live music policy. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording, mixing: Rain
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/16/recording-mixing-rain/

1969:  Recording, mixing: Old Brown Shoe, Something
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/04/16/recording-mixing-old-brown-shoe-something/

1971:  UK single release: `It Don't Come Easy'/`Early 1970'. (Ringo)

1971:  Paul and Linda were featured on the cover of today’s issue of Life Magazine and also in an article.

Article:
http://books.google.com/books?id=M0AEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA52&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

1973:  Paul McCartney's television special "James Paul McCartney" is broadcast by ABC-TV in the US. ATV will broadcast the special in the UK on May 10. It receives very mixed reviews.     http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april16.html

Part 1:
James Paul McCartney TV Show: Part 1 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2012, 02:58:58 AM »

April 17th

1953:  Ringo’s mother Elise married Harry Graves on this date.

1963: Performance at the Majestic Ballroom, Luton
http://wogew.blogspot.com/2008/07/majestic-ballroom-luton.html

Teenagers queuing in the rain at the Majestic Ballroom, Luton, for tickets to see the Beatles

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the-beatles?before=1326100597

1963:  `Please Please Me' LP, 4th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). 

This was the second and final day of filming at the exclusive London private members' club Les Ambassadeurs, following an earlier shoot on 17 March 1964. On this day The Beatles filmed the dancing sequences at the club's Garrison Room. The scene was soundtracked by the songs I Wanna Be Your Man and Don't Bother Me. BeatlesBible.com
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles at a Disco with Paul's Grandfather at a Gambling Casino (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964:  To promote A Hard Day's Night in America, an exclusive outtake from the film ("You Can't Do That", shot March 31st at the Scala Theatre) was aired on The Ed Sullivan Show May 24th, 1964. The clip was prefaced by an exclusive interview with Ed, filmed April 17th in the garden of Les Ambassadeurs club in
London. http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

1966:  Recording: Doctor Robert
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/17/recording-doctor-robert/

1967:  Mixing: Getting Better, She's Leaving Home, When I'm Sixty-Four, Lovely Rita
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/17/mixing-getting-better-shes-leaving-home-when-im-sixty-four-lovely-rita/

1970:  UK LP release: `McCartney'.
http://dmbeatles.com/interviews.php?interview=72

1970:  John’s interview with Rolling Stone magazine took place today.
Conducted by Jann Wenner, the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine, this important conversation was recorded shortly after The Beatles’ bitter breakup, and the emotions were still running high. Running over 3 hours, it is one of Lennon’s most extensive interviews, touching not just on the breakup, but also on art and politics, drugs, Yoko, primal therapy and more. It’s not always flattering, but it gives you a good feel for the man and the great artist. http://www.openculture.com/2011/10/the_rolling_stone_interview_with_john_lennon.html

Episodes 2-6 are this interview:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/john-lennon-the-rolling-stone/id408490909

1998: Linda McCartney lost her battle with cancer.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »

April 18th

1963:  Photo session with Fiona Adams
http://wogew.blogspot.com/2010/03/fiona-adams-beatles-photographer.html

Photos:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-photo-shoot-with-fiona-adams/

Performance at the Royal Albert Hall aka “When Paul Met Jane”
On this day The Beatles topped the bill at the Royal Albert Hall, London, for a concert broadcast live by the BBC. The event, titled Swinging Sound 63, also featured Del Shannon, the Springfields, Rolf Harris, Kenny Lynch and George Melly, among others. It took place in two parts separated by an interval, with The Beatles taking the stage twice - at 8.40pm and again at 10pm, introduced both times by George Melly. The Beatles performed just two songs in their first set: Please Please Me and Misery. Neither were taped or broadcast by the BBC. For the second set, which was transmitted live, they played Twist And Shout and From Me To You. The show's finale featured The Beatles, along with all the other acts, in an instrumental version of Mack The Knife. Following the event, Paul McCartney for the first time met Jane Asher, who would become his girlfriend and later his fiancée. The actress had earlier that day posed for a Radio Times photoshoot, in which she was snapped screaming for the group. BeatlesBible.com

Photos:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-at-the-royal-albert-hall/

2 May 1963
RADIO TIMES Magazine
page 39

Now these I could scream for . . .

TONIGHT the Royal Albert Hall will be filled to capacity for the third and final Light Programme pop concert. And when the last echo of electric guitar has died away twenty-seven soloists, six vocal and instrumental groups, seven bands, and two BBC orchestras will have performed in the series. Frankie Vaughan is the compere for this show and he will be introducing, among others, the bands of Bilk and Ball, and Susan Maughan who have all appeared in previous concerts. Joe Brown and the Bruvvers, Christine Campbell, and Bert Weedon are a few of the new faces. As a result of my reactions to the first pop concert I was accused of being - horror of horrors! - square and not with it. Just to prove that my heart is in the right place I invited a girl - who is anything but square - to accompany me to the second concert - for her impressions of the show. Jane Asher, a favourite Juke Box Jury panelist (David Frost, I am told, has to be dragged away from the set when she is on), has very definate views on pp music and speaks her mind with disarming frankness. As we sat in the stalls (a football-pitch length from the stage) I took down her comments - those I could hear above the roar. After a few minutes Jane turned to me; 'It's weird how the sound fills the entire hall, seeing the singers at such a distance. It gives you a funny feeling.' Or as the Vernons Girls put it vocally, 'Funny All Over.' Jane studied the faces around her: 'It seems only the girls are enjoying themselves. It really is a girl's show.' The Beatles bounded on stage and the noise of their reception reached the threshold of pain. 'Now these I could scream for,' said Jane - with a little prompting from our photographer she did, and felt better for it. (Listen tonight for the response to Gerry and the Pacemakers.) 'Isn't that fantastic (Rolf Harris's wobble board) - it sounds like bath water running out.' And as the bath water ran out, the Sun Arose. Of the show in general, Jane said: 'It ran very smoothly. It's fabulous to see all those singers together.' And in a word? 'Noisy.' Which all goes to prove that the sentiments of a square equal the sum of the sentiments of the non-square on my left. TONY ASPLER
http://beatlesource.com/savage/1963/63.04.18%20albert%20hall/63.04.18alberthall.html

More on that night from Tony Aspler
http://beatles.ncf.ca/aspler.html

1964:  `With The Beatles' number 1, 20th week (UK Record Retailer chart). `Can't Buy Me Love' number 1, 3rd week; 3rd week in the Top 100 (Billboard). 

1964: Filming: A Hard Day's Night
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/04/18/filming-a-hard-days-night-35/

1964:  The episode of ATV's `Morecambe And Wise Show', filmed on December 2, 1963, was broadcast today.

1964:  Rehearsal: Around the Beatles
Brian Epstein had negotiated a one-hour television special starring The Beatles, to be made by London-based ITV company Rediffusion. To be titled Around The Beatles, the show was filmed on 28 April 1964, but rehearsals began on this day. The working title of the show was John, Paul, George and Ringo. Also to appear were PJ Proby, the Vernons Girls, Long John Baldry, Millie, The Jets, Cilla Black and Sounds Incorporated. The Rediffusion contract stipulated that The Beatles had to attend five days of rehearsals between 17 and 27 April. However, due to the group's hectic schedule they only attended three rehearsals. The locations varied; this day's took place at the Hall Of Remembrance on Flood Street in Chelsea, London. BeatleBible.com

1965:  Mixing: Help!, The Night Before
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1965/04/18/mixing-help-the-night-before/

1965:  ABC-TV transmits the first part of the `New Musical Express' Poll Winner's Concert which was recorded on April 11th. 

1966:  The Cavern is sold for 5,500 pounds to Joseph Davey, from Wallasey, pastry cook and owner of a restaurant.

1966:  Lennon and Harrison watch The Lovin' Spoonful in London
There was no recording session scheduled for 18 April 1966, so John Lennon and George Harrison went to the Marquee Club in London, where they saw The Lovin' Spoonful perform. Between 1964 and 1988 the Marquee Club was situated at 90 Wardour Street in Soho, London. On this night Harrison met Eric Clapton; the pair would become close friends in subsequent years. They had met once before, during Another Beatles Christmas Show at Hammersmith Odeon in 1964-65. Afterwards Lennon and Harrison visited a London nightclub in the company of Brian Jones, Spencer Davis, Stevie Winwood and Tom McGuinness. BeatlesBible.com

1968:  John and Ringo attended a launch party for Bill Records.

1969:  Recording, mixing: Old Brown Shoe, I Want You (She's So Heavy)
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/04/18/recording-mixing-old-brown-shoe-i-want-you-shes-so-heavy/

1970:  `Let It Be' single, 6th week in the Top 30 (Billboard). `Live Peace in Toronto', 15th week in the ranking (Billboard). 

1972:  An Immigration and Naturalization Service hearing is held in New York concerning the deportation order pending against John Lennon. When asked at a press conference why it is so important for him to remain in America, John says: “Well...the judge who gave us temporary custody of Kyoko said we must bring the child up on the continent of America, and we’re quite happy with that. Yoko has been here half her life. She was educated here...fifteen years she’s lived here. She has an American child, she was married to an American citizen, and now she is married to an English citizen...and that’s caused all the trouble. But we love to be here.” Evidence uncovered later will show that the Nixon administration feared that Lennon would be involved in demonstrations at the Republican National Convention in Miami. http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april18.html

1975:  UK single release: `Stand By Me'/`Move Over Mrs. L'. (John)

1975:  In an appearance pre-taped in New York, John Lennon appears on the BBC television program "Old Grey Whistle Test." He sings Stand By Me and Slippin' and Slidin'. http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april18.html

John Lennon - Stand By Me (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

JOHN LENNON - Slippin' & Slidin' Live Old Grey Whistle Test 1975 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #431 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:44 AM »

April 19th

1963:  Performance: King’s Hall, Stoke-on-Trent
The second “Mersey Beat Showcase” date. The first was March 7th.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 108

1964: Recording: Around the Beatles
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/04/19/recording-around-the-beatles/

1965:  US single release: `Ticket to Ride'/`Yes It Is'.
Ticket To Ride, The Beatles' ninth Capitol Records single, was the first release from the Help! album sessions. It was issued as Capitol 5407, with Yes It Is on the b-side. The single spent a week at number one in the Hot 100. The label stated that it was from the forthcoming United Artists release Eight Arms To Hold You, which had until early April 1965 been the working title for the Help! film. In the United Kingdom the single had been released by Parlophone on 9 April 1965. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording, mixing: Doctor Robert
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/19/recording-mixing-doctor-robert/

1967:  Mixing: Good Morning Good Morning, Only A Northern Song
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/19/mixing-good-morning-good-morning-only-a-northern-song/

1967:  The Beatles & Co. is formed
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/19/the-beatles-co-is-formed/

1968:  Apple Corps advertises for new talent

Apple Music, the company set up by The Beatles to handle the musical side of their business interests, released an advertisement on this day requesting tapes from aspiring musicians. The advertisements were carried in the national music press, including the New Musical Express and Melody Maker. The response was phenomenal, with only a tiny number of recordings actually listened to by Apple employees. A picture of Alistair Taylor, Apple's general manager, was positioned underneath the words "This man has talent..." The concept was designed by Paul McCartney. The costume was hired from a Soho company, and Taylor sang When Irish Eyes Are Smiling during the photo shoot. Although the response was overwhelming, not a single contract was signed as a result of The Beatles' talent trawl.

“Coinciding with this poster campaign that blanketed London and the provinces were identical half-page ads placed in the English musical trade papers. Two weeks after the first poster hit the streets over 400 tapes had accumulated in the small office at 94 Baker Street. All with notes saying, Listen to me first. The Baker Street premises were able to function as a mailing address for the incoming musical tapes, but for the remainder of the sprouting tentacles of the empire an entire floor in an office building behind Oxford Street was rented in early February of 1968.” The Longest Cocktail Party BeatlesBible.com

1969:  `Yellow Submarine' LP, 14th week in the Top 100 (Billboard). 

1973:  UK LP release: `The Beatles/1962-1966'. UK LP release: `The Beatles/1967-1970'.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2012, 06:33:13 AM »

April 20th

1963:  Ballroom, Mersey View Pleasure Grounds, Overton Hills, Frodsham, Cheshire

The Beatles’ only appearance at this north-west venue although other top Liverpool groups had played there regularly since 1961. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 108

1964:    Mixing: A Hard Day's Night
Studio Two (control room), EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Norman Smith
The Beatles had recorded the song A Hard Day's Night on 16 April 1964. Four days later mono and stereo mixes were made. The mixes were made by producer George Martin without the other Beatles being present. The mixing session lasted from 2-3.15pm. Afterwards the tapes were taken away by representatives of United Artists, the company behind the A Hard Day's Night film and the US soundtrack release. The song was the last to be recorded for the soundtrack. BeatlesBible.com

1964:  Derek Taylor became Brian's personal assistant. 
http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/derek-taylor/

1964:  Filming: Paul McCartney's unused scene in A Hard Day's Night
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/04/20/filming-a-hard-days-night-36/

1965:  Brian was appointed a director of Harrisongs Limited. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrisongs

1965:  Filming: Help! at Twickenham Film Studios

The resumption of shooting after the Easter break. Among the scenes shot today was the one in which a thug attempts to remove Ringo’s “Sacrificial Ring” as he puts his hand into a mail-box to post a letter. (The location element of this sequence was filmed on 9 May.)
Lewisohn, page 190

1966:   `Rubber Soul', 20th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart). 

1966:  Recording, mixing: And Your Bird Can Sing, Taxman
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/20/recording-mixing-and-your-bird-can-sing-taxman/

http://www.beatlesebooks.com/taxman

1967: Recording, mixing: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), Only a Northern Song
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/20/recording-mixing-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-reprise-only-a-northern-song/

1969:  Recording, mixing: I Want You (She's So Heavy), Oh! Darling
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/04/20/recording-mixing-i-want-you-shes-so-heavy-oh-darling/

1970:  US LP release: `McCartney'. 

1970:  Rock Flashback: Yellow Submarine, Religious Symbol
J.A. Bartlett

Here’s another of those awesome factoids that proliferates from rock history website to rock history website without elaboration or context: “April 20, 1970: The New York Times reported that Catholic and Protestant youth groups had adopted the Beatles‘ ‘Yellow Submarine’ as a religious symbol.” In our continuing quest to flesh out such factoids, we found the article from the Times…

https://cbswnewhd.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/rock-flashback-yellow-submarine-religious-symbol/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:51:08 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #433 on: April 21, 2012, 03:48:53 AM »

April 21st

1962:  Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1963:  Performances at the Empire Pool, Empire Way, Wembley, Middlesex
And the Pigalle Club, Piccadilly, London

The Beatles performed at the New Musical Express 1962-63 Annual Poll-Winners Concert in Wembley, even though they were not poll winners. Their recent number one hits were enough to secure them a spot. This was their most important concert to date, with 10,000 attendees. Info from Lewisohn

http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/the-beatles-new-musical-express-poll-winners-conce/

The Beatles with their Pigalle Club supporting act, The Castaways:

1964:  Filming: A Hard Day’s Night
This was the second day of filming for Paul’s deleted scenes with Isla Blair.

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” was number one for the second week on the UK New Musical Express chart.

1966:  Recording: Taxman
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/21/recording-taxman/

1967:  Recording, mixing: Only a Northern Song, Sgt Pepper run-out groove
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/21/recording-mixing-only-a-northern-song-sgt-pepper-run-out-groove/

sgt pepper inner groove (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1968:  In London it was reported that the Beatles did not receive the diplomas crediting them as `gurus', since they didn't pass the 3 obligatory tests of the Maharishi's Academy of Transcendental Meditation.   :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:51:10 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2012, 04:47:22 AM »

April 21st

1967:  Recording, mixing: Only a Northern Song, Sgt Pepper run-out groove
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/21/recording-mixing-only-a-northern-song-sgt-pepper-run-out-groove/

sgt pepper inner groove

Oh wow!  That 15000 cycle tone is deafening!!
I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #435 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:48 AM »

April 22nd

1963:  The BBC aired the episode of “Side by Side” recorded on April 1st.

1964:  The “Please Please Me” LP began its 57th week in the Top 10 of the New Musical Express chart. On the same chart, “With the Beatles” started week 22 in the Top 30 while “Can’t Buy Me Love” was in its 5th week in the Top Ten.

The Beatles were filmed this morning descending the iron staircase at the back of the Hammersmith Odeon, which became the beginning of one of two Can't Buy Me Love sequences in the A Hard Day's Night film.  In the afternoon The Beatles remained in west London for more filming. The first was a scene shot in St Luke's Road in Notting Hill Gate, where they were chased by police. Afterwards Ringo Starr was filmed in Lancaster Road, where he photographed milk bottles, was chased by two female fans, and found refuge in a second-hand clothes store at 20 All Saints Road.
The day's filming ended with an unused scene in which Paul McCartney walked on the Goldhawk Road in Shepherd's Bush, and entered a door signposted 'TV Rehearsal Room'. The door was actually that of the Jack Billings TV School of Dancing, and the shot was to have preceded McCartney's solo sequence with Isla Blair, filmed on 20 April and the following day. BeatlesBible

1964:  The Beatles put in an appearance at London's Australia House, plugging their upcoming tour Down Under. As well as munching on Tasmanian apples, Ringo was filmed holding up a map of Australia and chatting with reporters.
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/search?q=Australia+house

The Australia House is a London landmark which is the home of the Australian High Commission.

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” was number 1 on the UK Record Retailer chart.

The Beatles were at Twickenham Film Studios on this day for a performance of the title track of their second feature film, Help!  The black-and-white sequence was used early on in the film, and was intended to appear as a television appearance. In the film and exasperated Clang, played by Leo McKern, threw darts at the screen while watching The Beatles' performance. The footage, minus Clang, was distributed by NEMS Enterprises to television companies to promote the Help! single, released in July 1965. Also on this day, The Beatles began filming an unused scene featuring Frankie Howerd and Wendy Richard, set in a drama school. Work continued on 23 and 28 April, but the sequence was left out of the final edit.
BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording: Taxman, Tomorrow Never Knows
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/04/22/recording-taxman-tomorrow-never-knows/

1968:  George returns to England from India.

1969:  John Lennon changes his middle name to Ono

John Lennon formally changed his middle name by deed poll from Winston to Ono, during a brief ceremony held on the roof of the Apple building at 3 Savile Row, London. The ceremony was carried out before Bueno de Mesquita, Commissioner of Oaths. Lennon had never liked his middle name, which had been given to him during a bout of wartime patriotism.
Yoko changed her name for me. I've changed mine for her. One for both, both for each other. She has a ring. I have a ring. It gives us nine 'O's between us, which is good luck. Ten would not be good luck. Technically, Lennon was unable to lose the Winston from his name, as UK law dictates that a person is unable to fully revoke a name given at birth. As a result, his official name became John Winston Ono Lennon, with the ten 'O's he wished to avoid. Afterwards Lennon and Ono went to EMI Studios at Abbey Road where they recorded the track John And Yoko which became side two of their Wedding Album. BeatlesBible.com

1972: 

Former Beatle John Lennon, right, gestures as he speaks at a peace rally in New York's Bryant Park on April 22, 1972. Standing beside him is his wife, Yoko Ono. The rally and march of some 30,000 persons in New York City is part of a nationwide day of protests and demonstrations against U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War. (AP)

1999:  At the Bonhams rock and pop auction in London, John Lennon’s Vox stage organ, used during The Beatles’ performance of I’m Down at Shea Stadium in 1965, is sold for £19,500 ($27,300). http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april22.html

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:01:47 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #436 on: April 23, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »

April 23rd

1960:  Live: Fox and Hounds, Caversham
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1960/04/23/live-fox-and-hounds-caversham/

1962:  US single release: `My Bonnie'.

1963:  Performance: Floral Hall, Southport

1964:  Mixing: A Hard Day's Night
Studio Two (control room), EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Norman Smith

George Martin had created mono and stereo mixes of the song A Hard Day's Night for United Artists on 16 April 1964. On this day, however, he made another mono mix, which was used on the EMI LP A Hard Day's Night, and on the single. BeatlesBible.com

1964: April, 1964 finished up at a furious pace for The Beatles, as they finished filming A Hard Day's Night. The 23rd was spent filming at Thornbury Playing Fields, with John taking the afternoon off to attend a literary luncheon, and all four rehearsing for Around The Beatles that evening, all these events being covered by visiting US disc jockey Murray The "K".

Nursing a hangover (from partying the previous night at the Ad Lib club with Murray), John accompanied his wife Cynthia to the Dorchester for a luncheon in his honor, hosted by Foyles bookshop. Despite the wit and wordplay evident in his book In His Own Write, this was all John could manage when asked to give a speech in front of the assembled guests:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73027501/22_Foyles_Literary_Banquet.mp3 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-your-loving-man-can-do.html
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2010/06/youve-got-lucky-face.html

Pictures:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/john-lennon-foyle-s-luncheon/

Some sources indicate that the lucky face comment was actually made on April 28th, during filming for “Around The Beatles”.

Around The Beatles rehearsal:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/around-the-beatles-rehearsal

Filming of the unused drama school scene for The Beatles' Help!, featuring Frankie Howerd and Wendy Richard, continued on this day. Work on it had begun on the previous day, and it was completed on 28 April. BeatlesBible.com

1970:  On April 23rd, 1970, George and Derek Taylor flew to America for a 12-day visit, attending to business at Apple's newly-opened New York office on Broadway. George also dropped by Columbia Studios on May 1st to sit in on a recording session with Bob Dylan.
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2012/03/its-really-pity.html

1977: In tonight’s edition of “Saturday Night Live,” character Ron Nasty (played by Neil Innes), who is now living in seclusion in New York, is invited out of retirement to join in a “Save Britain Telethon.” Throughout the show, viewers are jokingly asked to pledge money to “keep Britain afloat,” a cause that inspired Nasty to come on the show to perform the song Cheese and Onions. The positive audience response leads to Lorne Michaels funding the full-length Rutles TV special, to be made by Eric Idle and Gary Weiss. And thus, Rutlemania was born.*
http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april23.html

*In the US anyway.  ;D

http://www.myspace.com/video/ohnothimagen9/neil-innes-as-ron-nasty-cheese-and-onions-live-on-us-tv-39-77/20148118
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:57:40 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #437 on: April 24, 2012, 06:30:28 AM »

April 24th

1960:  John and Paul’s second and final performance as The Nerk Twins at the Fox and Hounds, Caversham, Berkshire.

1961:  Brian arrived in Hamburg to attend a course in record retailing management, run by Deutsche Grammophon. 

1963: The “Please Please Me” LP was in its fifth week in the top ten of the UK New Musical Express chart.

1963:  Performance at the Majestic Ballroom, Finsbury Park, London

Another of NEMS’ “Mersey Beat Showcase” presentations. This Top Rank ballroom was situated close by the Finsbury Park Astoria cinema where the Beatles would play on many occasions. Two thousand people attended this evening. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 109

Six busy weeks spent filming A Hard Day's Night came to a close on this day, with a final scene being shot at Edgehill Road in Ealing, London.
The scene was part of Ringo Starr's solo sequence. In it, he laid his coat over puddles for a woman to walk on, doing his best impression of Sir Walter Raleigh, not realising that one of the puddles was actually a large hole. The Beatles had started work on A Hard Day's Night on 2 March 1964. This was their 40th day spent on the film, although other scenes were filmed without their involvement. To celebrate the wrap, in the afternoon The Beatles, the rest of the cast, the film crew, and visiting US radio DJ Murray the K, all attended a private party in the back of the Turks Head pub in Twickenham, where Starr's pub sequence had been filmed on 10 March. BeatlesBible.com

The exterior shots of the Help! scene in which The Beatles sought refuge in a London pub were filmed on this day. The pub was the City Barge, at 27 Strand-on-the Green, Chiswick, London. The Beatles were filmed walking down the narrow Post Office Alley and onto the towpath by the River Thames. Realising they were being pursued by a group of bagpipe players, they run into the pub. In the scene, The Beatles eventually emerge via the glass window of the pub, without Ringo Starr, who was trapped in a cellar with a tiger. The interior shots of the pub were filmed at Twickenham Film Studios. After the scene was complete John Lennon and Paul McCartney left for the day. George Harrison and Ringo Starr filmed a brief unused scene in a telephone box, after which a sequence was filmed, without The Beatles, in the food hall of Harrods in Knightsbridge. BeatlesBible.com

1967:  US single release: `Love in the Open Air'. (From the movie “The Family Way”)

1969:  Clive and Queenie Epstein sold their Nemperor Holdings shares to Triumph Investment Trust. Paul and John made a counter-offer for Northern Songs Ltd. 

1970:  US LP release: `Sentimental Journey'. (Ringo)

1971:  On this date John and Yoko were detained for questioning in Palma de Mallorca by Spanish police after Yoko’s ex-husband Tony Cox accused them of attempting to kidnap the former couples’ daughter Kyoko. In reality, Cox was in violation of the order which had awarded full custody to Yoko. John and Yoko spent much of April and May unsuccessfully attempting to retrieve her.
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2012/04/comment-dormez-vous.html
http://acelebrationofwomen.org/?p=27466

1969:

1971:  Ringo's first pop single, "It Don't Come Easy", was released April 9th in the UK and a week later in the US. It rocketed up the charts, peaking in the top 5 on both sides of the pond.

This led to a remarkable situation on April 24th, when all four ex-Beatles had songs in the Melody Maker top 30: "It Don't Come Easy" (#17), Paul's "Another Day" (#14), John's "Power To The People" (#18), and George's My Sweet Lord" hanging on at #28.
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=49

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #438 on: April 25, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

April 25

1963:  Live: Mersey Beat Showcase, Croydon
The fourth Mersey Beat Showcase event, starring artists from Brian Epstein's management stable, took place on this evening at the Fairfield Hall ballroom in Croydon, Surrey. The event was organised by promoter John Smith in January 1963. As neither The Beatles nor support acts Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer or The Big Three had enjoyed major chart success at that time, Smith arranged for singer John Leyton to headline the concert. On the day, however, Leyton was ill and cancelled his appearance, leaving The Beatles in their rightful place at the top of the bill. BeatlesBible.com

1964:  “With the Beatles” was number 1 for the 25th and last week on the UK Record Retailer Chart. “Can’t Buy Me Love” was number 1 for the 4th week on Billboard chart.

1964:  Peter and Gordon reach No. 1 on the UK pop chart with World Without Love, a Lennon-McCartney song. http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april25.html

1964:  Hall of Remembrance, London
Rehearsals continued for Around the Beatles. 

1965:  ABC-TV transmitted the second part of New Musical Express Poll Winner's Concert, filmed April 11, 1965. 

1965:  Got To Get You Into My Life
Room 65, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Engineer: Peter Vince
This hour-long session saw two mono mixes made of Got To Get You Into My Life, which The Beatles had recorded on 8 and 11 April 1966.  There was no producer present, and the only engineer in the studio was Peter Vince. Between 10 and 11am he created the rough mixes so that acetate pressings could be made for reference purposes; they were never intended for the album, and contained no echo or other effects. The mixes were numbered one and two. When the song was mixed properly on 18 May the two mixes were numbered the same. BeatlesBible

1967: Recording: Magical Mystery Tour
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/04/25/recording-magical-mystery-tour/

1969:  Mixing: Two of Us

Room 4, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Engineer: Peter Mew

A rough mono mix was created of the Let It Be song Two Of Us during this hour-long late-night session.
The mix was to allow an acetate disc to be cut of the song, so that Paul McCartney could give a copy to the US trio Mortimer. In May 1969 McCartney produced the band's version for Apple, but the recording was never released. BeatleBible

1970:   The “Let it Be” single was in its 7th week in the Billboard Top 30, while “Live Peace in Toronto” was in its 16th week in that ranking.

1976:  John and Paul at the Dakota-April 24 and 25, 1976

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VreAZEu3imnVKzSgT4TFjffJl5urB1REb7xepWTnPFc/edit

The Saturday Night Live video mentioned in the document is on http://vimeo.com/ but I can't get the embedding or the link to work. You can search for "Lorne Michaels Beatles" and it will come up though.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #439 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »

April 26th

1963:  Performance at the Music Hall, Shrewsbury

Pictures:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-backstage-at-music-hall-shrewsbury/

1963:  The stereo version of the LP “Please Please Me” was released in the UK, as well as the single “Do You Want to Know a Secret”/“I’ll Be on My Way”; the first release by Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas.  These Lennon/McCartney songs went to number two on the UK Singles Chart.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_J._Kramer

Do You Want to Know a Secret? (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

I'll Be On My Way
http://youtu.be/ulor0uSkBCA (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964:  Performance at Empire Pool, Wembley

The Beatles’ first live performance in Britain for 15 weeks was at The New Musical Express 1963-64 Annual Poll-Winners’ Concert. An audience of 10,000 watched them perform “She Loves You”, “You Can’t Do That”, “Twist and Shout”, “Long Tall Sally” and “You Can’t Do That”. Even more tuned in on May 10th to watch their performance as the second part of ABC Television’s special, Big Beat ’64. Lewisohn

Concert (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Pictures:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-empire-pool-wembley/

An American DJ visiting England, thanks to the hospitality of George Harrison's sister Louise, was Gene Loving of WGH-AM, Tidewater, Virginia. On the evening of the 25th, he interviewed George in a London hotel, and found himself backstage in Wembley the next afternoon (to interview John and Ringo). George also taped a short promo for Gene's show. http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-your-loving-man-can-do.html

Interview with George:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73027501/02_Gene_Loving_w_George.mp3 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Promo:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73027501/15_Bonus_-_George_Promo_For_Gene_Loving.mp3 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Interview with John and Ringo:
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1964.0426.beatles.html

1965:  The Beatles had the day off from filming Help!.

1966:  The Beatles in the recording studio (Studio Two, EMI Studios, London). They work for over 12 straight hours on And Your Bird Can Sing. Eleven more takes of the basic rhythm track are recorded, with take 10 being selected as "best" for overdubs. The ending of take six was the best, so it was blended into the master track.
http://history.absoluteelsewhere.net/April/april26.html

1967:  The Beatles in the recording studio (Studio Three, EMI Studios, London). Overdubs are recorded for the song Magical Mystery Tour. Bass, maracas, cowbell, tambourines, and backing vocals / shouts are taped.

1969:  The “Yellow Submarine” LP was in the Billboard Top 100 for the 15th week. “Get Back” was at #1.

1969:  The Beatles in the recording studio (Studio Two, EMI Studios, London). Recording a lead vocal overdub onto Oh! Darling, followed by 32 takes of the basic track for Ringo's Octopus's Garden. They worked without a producer. Prior to this session, John Lennon had remixed recordings of his and Yoko Ono's heartbeats and the two of them speaking / shouting each other's names (the track John and Yoko on John and Yoko's Wedding Album) into stereo. Take 2 of Octopus's Garden (with an ending bit from Take eight) was released on The Beatles Anthology 3 (Disc two, Track 14).

Octopus's Garden:
http://youtu.be/Vm2wEsvb9eI (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1978:  In the US NBC television aired the special “Ringo”. It was an adaptation of Mark Twain’s “The Prince and the Pauper”, with Ringo getting a break from stardom by switching places with a poor look-alike.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=AZgzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GOkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1612%2C3333651

"Ringo", a Ringo Starr US-TV special, aired April 26, 1978 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:09:47 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Page created in 7.826 seconds with 27 queries.