A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 97706 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #460 on: May 17, 2012, 03:09:52 AM »

May 17th

1961:  Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1962: Performance at the Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1963:  Jaep Music Limited, music publishing company, is incorporated, with Brian and Dick James as opening directors. 

1963:  The Beatles had a photo shoot with Dezo Hoffman at his Wardour Street studio in London.

1963:  Performance at Grosvenor Rooms, Prince Of Wales Rd, Norwich, Norfolk.

Great stories and more pictures from that night:

http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles/english/norwich63.html

1964:  Radio Luxembourg broadcasts the second and last part of the Beatles program “This Is Their Life”.

1967:  Recording: You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
Recording began for one of The Beatles' most bizarre songs on this day. You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) was taped, mixed and edited over a number of sessions between this day and November 1969, and it remained unreleased until March 1970.  The Beatles arrived at Studio Two on this day with no songs in mind, and without the presence of producer George Martin; in his place the session was supervised by balance engineer Geoff Emerick. You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) was inspired by a telephone directory that John Lennon saw at Paul McCartney's London home. It was originally envisaged as a 15-minute mantra. The final recording was made up of five discrete parts, and during this session the first part was recorded. The Beatles taped 14 takes of the rhythm track, with guitars, bass and drums, and take 10 was labeled the best for the time being. The song was then set aside until 7 June 1967, when overdubs were added to take nine. BeatlesBible.com

1968:  The movie “Wonderwall”, featuring a soundtrack composed by George Harrison, premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. George and Pattie attended the event, along with Ringo and Maureen.

1969:  The “Yellow Submarine” LP was in Billboard’s Top 100 for the 18th week while “Get Back” was in the Top 30 for the 2nd week in a row.

1975:  John Lennon sits in as guest disc jockey for Philadelphia radio station WFIL during their Helping Hand Marathon fund-raiser. http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may17.html

JOHN LENNON RARE VIDEOS#27

1980:  Paul and Linda McCartney appeared on "Saturday Night Live."
absoluteelsewhere.net

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:32:56 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #461 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

May 18th

1962:  Performance at the Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1963:  The “Please Please Me” LP was number 1 on the UK Record Retailer chart for the 2nd week.

1963:  Live: Adelphi Cinema, Slough - The Beatles' tour with Roy Orbison begins
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/18/live-adelphi-cinema-slough-beatles-roy-orbison-tour-begins/

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73027501/roy_orbison_tour.doc

A terrific collection of classic signatures, acquired by a fan backstage at the Adelphi Cinema Theatre in Slough, England on May 18, 1963.
http://www.beatlesautographs.info/index.php?title=18th_May_1963

1963:  Gerry Marsden presented The Beatles with a silver disc for “From Me to You” before tonight’s show.

1964:  BBC broadcast the second edition of “From Us to You”, recorded on May 1st.

1966:   “Rubber Soul” was in the Top 10 on the New Musical Express chart for the 24th week.

1966:  Recording, mixing: Got to Get You into My Life
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/05/18/recording-mixing-got-to-get-you-into-my-life/

1967:  The Beatles signed the contract for their appearance on `Our World', the upcoming live global satellite performance.

1967:  On May 18, 1967, The Beatles had a photo session in Hyde Park with Marvin Lichtner from Time Magazine. Mal Evans was along for the ride, and a couple of his photos can be seen in The Beatles Monthly Book no. 49
http://wogew.blogspot.com/2009/04/serpentine-hyde-park-may-18th-1967.html

The last lines of this article may not be correct. I have found the date that John and Paul did back-up vocals for The Stones given as June 12th in several sources.

1970:  US LP release: “`Let It Be”.

1989:  Paul performed “Figure of Eight” and “Put it There” from his “Flowers in the Dirt” album for the West German TV show Mensch Meir. 
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #462 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »

May 19th

1962:  Performance at the Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, West Germany.

1963:  Performance at the Gaumont Cinema, Hanley. (Roy Orbison tour)

1965: “Ticket to Ride” was in the New Musical Express Top 10 for the 6th week.

1966:  Filming: Paperback Writer, Rain
Studio One, EMI Studios, Abbey Road

For the imminent release of the Paperback Writer/Rain single, The Beatles were unwilling to appear on television for promotion. Instead, they took part in a two-day shoot which resulted in a total of seven promotional films for the songs. This first day's filming took place in Abbey Road's Studio One; the following day they went on location at Chiswick House, London. The crew was supplied by InterTel (VTR Services), and the director was Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Video tape was used on this first day, while the following day's footage was shot on film. At 10am a camera rehearsal took place. The first colour performance of Rain was filmed, after which The Beatles watched a playback to see the results. From 1.10-2pm they filmed a colour performance of Paperback Writer.Both these colour clips were for the US market, and had their première on The Ed Sullivan Show on 5 June 1966, along with a greeting filmed by The Beatles on this day between 6.15pm and 6.30pm. After lunch The Beatles recorded black-and-white footage for UK viewers, two for Paperback Writer and one for Rain, between 3.30pm and 6.15pm. The first black-and-white clip of Paperback Writer had its television début on Saturday 25 June in Goodbye Lucky Stars, the final edition of the long-running music show Thank Your Lucky Stars. The second black-and-white performance of Paperback Writer, along with the one of Rain, were first shown on Ready, Steady, Go! on Friday 3 June, which was the first time the programme had broadcast footage not from its own studio. BeatlesBible.com

The Beatles - Paperback Writer & Rain (Ed Sullivan)

Presented here are some photographs taken as the Beatles filmed promotional clips for their latest single, "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" in Abbey Road's spacious Studio One.
http://childofnaturebeatles.blogspot.com/2009/03/abbey-road-studio-one-may-19-1966.html

Story Behind Paul McCartney’s Chipped Tooth In The Beatles “Rain” Video
http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/03/05/story-behind-paul-mccartneys-chipped-tooth-in-the-beatles-rain-video/

1966: Recording: For No One
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/05/19/recording-for-no-one-2/

1967:  Press launch for Sgt Pepper

Shortly ahead of the release of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, a press launch was held at Brian Epstein's house at 24 Chapel Street, London.  Epstein had bought the house on 20 December 1964, and lived there until his death on 27 August 1967. He hosted many parties at the house, the best-remembered of which was this press party for The Beatles' masterpiece. Around a dozen selected journalists and broadcasters were invited to attend the event. Several photographers were also present, among them Linda Eastman, who had met her future husband Paul McCartney just four days previously.

"I took my portfolio over to Brian Epstein's office and left it with his assistant, Peter Brown... Peter Brown got back in touch and said that Brian had liked my portfolio and invited me to a press launch for Sgt Pepper at Brian's home. Peter also said that Brian wanted to buy copies of two of my photos - one of Keith Moon wearing a lace cravat and one of Brian Jones at The Rolling Stones boat party. So I went to the press launch where Sgt Pepper was played for the first time to the media, to take my first photographs of The Beatles. Because I was so used to working almost exclusively with black-and-white I didn't have any color film with me, and had to get some from another photographer. I eventually sold a color print of The Beatles from this session for $100 and I thought that I had it made!" Linda McCartney, Sixties: Portrait of an Era

The Beatles were photographed in Epstein's drawing room and on the steps outside the front door. The guests were served champagne, poached salmon and caviar.

"I got one good photo that I liked, which is that thumbs-up one. The rest are just like everyone else's photographs, but for that one I said, 'Oh, come on, guys! You know?' and that shows at least they were relating, because if you believe the press you'd never think John and Paul ever related." Linda McCartney, Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

More pictures…lots more:
http://www.nemsworld.com/beatles/67pp/party.htm

Invited to the party were a number of influential disc jockeys and journalists,... Radio personality Kenny Everett was among the invited, representing BBC-Radio. At this time, Everett was part of the program 'Where It's At,' hosted by Chris Denning. Everett would manage to record a few brief conversations with John, Paul and Ringo throughout the evening. Clips from Everett's recording would be used for a special edition of the program the next afternoon -- featuring a sneak preview of select tracks from the not-yet-released album, intercut with Everett's brief interview segments from the night before. Jay Spangler,beatlesinterviews.org

Part 1 of "Where It's At":

09 - The Beatles - Where It's At (Part 1)

1968:  A housewarming party was thrown by Harold Pinter, 7 Hanover Terrace, London, with all four Beatles in attendance. http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may19.html

1968:  The probable date (though it’s long been proven impossible to corroborate) of the union of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. ….this is the night that John invited Yoko to his house in Surrey (wife Cynthia being abroad on on holiday) when they made some sound recordings together… The night warrants an entry in this book strictly because of those recordings, which were issued as an album entitled Unfinished Music No 1: Two Virgins on Friday 29 November, credited to John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 283

1969:  The three main Northern Songs share owners and ATV signed an agreement. John Lennon and Paul McCartney lost control over the company.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may19.html

1969:  The single, “Get Back”/”Don’t Let Me Down” earned US gold certification.

1979:  Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr attended the party to celebrate Eric Clapton's wedding to George's ex-wife Patty Boyd, on 19 May 1979.  They, with Clapton, performed Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Patty Boyd wrote in her autobiography Wonderful Tonight that John Lennon said that he would have attended had he heard about it. She regretted that the best chance of all four being together never happened, particularly since Lennon died the following year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_reunions

But maybe they didn’t perform any Beatles songs:
http://peterdoggettbeatles.blogspot.com/2010/06/stop-press-3-claptons-wedding-1979.html

At any rate, here are Paul, George and Ringo with Lonnie Donegan:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:20:33 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #463 on: May 23, 2012, 06:38:30 AM »

May 20th

1930:  George’s parents, Harold and Louise were married on this date.

They were very cool; they weren’t afraid to go to The Cavern:

1960: Town Hall, Marshill, Alloa, Clackmannanshire

The first night of the Silver Beetles’ tour backing Johnny Gentle. It was the only date fixed for the south of Scotland, the remaining six all taking place along the north-east coast, well into the Highlands. The Silver Beetles and Gentle had their first and only rehearsal-lasting just 30 minutes-before
they took to the stage at the Town Hall this Friday evening.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 26 

The Silver Beetles were never credited by name during this one week tour:

(This photo) has been around, publicly since it was taken but no other photos showing any of The Beatles have surfaced. Surely, being the scruffy lot that they were, The Beatles were probably of little interest to any photographer. http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1960/60.05.20%20johnny%20gentle/60.05.20johnnygentle.html

Now we were truly professional, we could do something we had been toying with for a long time, which was to change our names to real showbiz names. I became Paul Ramon, which I thought was suitably exotic. I remember the Scottish girls saying, ‘Is that his real name? That's great.’ It's French, Ramon. Ra-mon, that's how you pronounce it. Stuart became Stuart de Staël after the painter. George became Carl Harrison after Carl Perkins (our big idol, who had written ‘Blue Suede Shoes’). John was Long John. People have since said, ‘Ah, John didn't change his name, that was very suave.’ Let me tell you: he was Long John. There was none of that 'he didn't change his name': we all changed our names. So here we were, suddenly with the first of Larry's untempestuous acts and a tour of Scotland, when I should have been doing my GCE exams. A lot of my parents' hopes were going up the spout because I was off with these naughty boys who weren't doing GCEs at all.
Paul McCartney, Beatles Anthology, page 44

1962:  Performance at the Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1963:  Performance at the Gaumont Cinema, Hampshire

After this date the Orbison tour took a one-day break, resuming on the 22nd. Lewisohn, page 110

http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-at-the-gaumont-cinema-hampshire-may-20-196/

About half of this page is devoted to the show on this date:
http://www.davidstjohn.co.uk/groups11.html

1964:  The “Please Please Me” LP spent its 61st and final week in the New Musical Express Top 10, while “With the Beatles” and “Can’t Buy Me Love” were in the Top 30. The album was in its 26th week and the single was in the 9th and last week.

1964:  While The Beatles were still on vacation Brian recorded a BBC Light Programme entitled “Let’s Find Out”, answering teenager’s questions. Later this same day he appeared on Southern TV’s “For Art’s Sake”. I sure wish I could find that first one!

1966:  Filming: Paperback Writer, Rain

Following the previous day's shoot inside EMI Studios, The Beatles went on location at Chiswick House in London, to film promotional clips for their forthcoming single Paperback Writer/Rain. As on the previous day, the director was Michael Lindsay-Hogg, working with a crew supplied by InterTel (VTR Services). Unlike the previous day, which was shot on video tape, this day's footage was captured on 35mm colour film. Chiswick House is an 18th century house and gardens in west London. For the clip for Rain, The Beatles were filmed outside the gates and around a cedar tree, with the group performing as children played among the branches. For Paperback Writer the group was filmed inside the conservatory, and miming to the song in the statue garden. Some of the conservatory footage was also used in the Rain clip, and extra shots of The Beatles walking in the grounds were later edited into both films. The colour clips were first shown in black-and-white on BBC 1's Top of the Pops. Paperback Writer had its first screening on 2 June 1966, while Rain had its début on the show on 9 June.
BeatlesBible.com

Paperback Writer: Video

Rain: Video

1966:  Studio 1 (control room only). 11.00am-12.30pm. Stereo mixing: `And Your Bird Can Sing' (remixes 1, 2, from takes 10, 6); `Doctor Robert' (remixes 1, 2, from take 7); `I'm Only Sleeping' (remixes 1, 2, from take 13). Editing: `And Your Bird Can Sing' (of stereo remixes 1, 2); `Doctor Robert' (of stereo remixes 1, 2). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Phil McDonald. Mixes for ``Yesterday'... And Today' and `Revolver'. 

1970:   UK première of Let It Be
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1970/05/20/uk-premiere-of-let-it-be/

1970:  George began working on the album “All Things Must Pass”.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:32:30 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #464 on: May 23, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »

May 21st

1960:  Live: Northern Meeting Ballroom, Inverness, Scotland

The day after their Scottish debut, the Silver Beetles travelled 150 miles north to Inverness to continue their seven-date tour with Liverpudlian singer Johnny Gentle.  The group was on a bill which also featured Ronnie Watt and The Chekkers Rock Dance Band. It was advertised as The Beat Ballad Show, and lasted from 7.30pm to 11.30pm. Admission was three shillings before 8pm, and five shillings thereafter. While the Silver Beetles performed, in the main room downstairs at at the ballroom Lindsay Ross and his Famous Broadcasting Band played 'old tyme' dance music for a somewhat older clientele. In their hotel after the show, Johnny Gentle - real name John Askew - worked on a song he was writing called I've Just Fallen For Someone. John Lennon helped out on the middle eight, contributing four lines:

We know that we'll get by
Just wait and see
Just like the song tells us
The best things in life are free

The song was later recorded by Askew, under the name Darren Young. It was released as the b-side of the single My Tears Will Turn To Laughter, released on the Parlophone label with the catalogue number R4919 in August 1962. The song failed to chart, and didn't include a credit for Lennon.

DARREN YOUNG (aka JOHNNY GENTLE) I've Just Fallen for Someone

1963:  Radio: Saturday Club, Steppin' Out

The Beatles recorded two radio sessions for different BBC shows on this day, both at the Playhouse Theatre in London. They arrived for a 2.30pm rehearsal for a bill-topping appearance on Saturday Club - the first time they were the headline act on the programme. The Beatles chatted to presenter Brian Matthew and performed six songs: I Saw Her Standing There, Do You Want To Know A Secret, Boys, Long Tall Sally, From Me To You and Money (That's What I Want). The recording took place between 5.30 and 6.30pm. The edition of Saturday Club was first broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on 25 May 1963, between 10am and midday. The Beatles took a 45-minute break after the recording, returning to the Playhouse at 7.15 to rehearse an appearance on a new Light Programme show, Steppin' Out. The hour-long edition, first broadcast on 3 June from 10.30pm, was recorded from 10-11.15pm. Performing before a lively audience, The Beatles performed another six songs: Please Please Me, I Saw Her Standing There, Roll Over Beethoven, Twist And Shout, Thank You Girl and From Me To You. BeatlesBible.com

How could they fail with an intro like this? :

Before playing their first couple of numbers, host of (Steppin’ Out) Diz Disley, introduced the Beatles – “We have here four young fellas who, since they emerged from the trackless interior of Merseyside a mere matter of months ago, have been layin ‘em in the aisles all over the Isles – from Land’s End to John O’Groats – so mind your backs, wacks, for it’s the earth-shaking sounds of the Beatles!” The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 110

Saturday Club

Steppin' Out

More pictures:
http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/the-beatles-recording-at-the-playhouse-theatre-lon/

1964:  US single release: Sie Liebt Dich
This curious release coupled the German-language version of She Loves You with its original b-side, I'll Get You.  As Beatlemania showed no sign of abating during 1964, various record labels looked to release any material by the group that they could. Swan had released She Loves You the previous September, and duly claimed the rights to issue Sie Liebt Dich as well, even though this was a dubious claim at best. The single had the serial number Swan 4182, and peaked at number 97 in the charts during its one-week run from 27 June 1964. Clearly US listeners weren't that desperate for Beatles songs.

1971:  UK LP release: `Ram'. 
http://www.beatlesbible.com/people/paul-mccartney/albums/ram/

2012: Remastered version of Ram was  released.
Paul McCartney - Ram Reissue Trailer 2012 [Ramming Excerpt] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:04:41 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #465 on: May 24, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

May 22nd

1963:  “The Please Please Me” LP entered its 9th week in the New Musical Express chart’s Top 10

1963:  Performance at the Gaumont Theatre, Ipswich, Suffolk (Orbison Tour)

"Early 60s. Love Me Do had just come out. Beatles were playing at Ipswich Gaumont and I had a ticket. I was dashing home from work to get changed and go to see them. It was raining. I saw 4 fellows standing looking in the window of Footmans department store.I realised that they were the Beatles. I wandered over and pretended to be looking in the window. There was nobody else in the whole street. Finally I said to Ringo who was nearest to me 'I'm coming to see you tonight' He said 'Hope you enjoy it' and the others all said something else to that effect. My strange recollection from that encounter was that I realised that I was taller than all of them except Paul. Later at the Gaumont I could hardly hear a thing because of the screaming girls. Happy days.

Male, 65 South East England " http://www.magicalmemorytour.com

"I went to see the Beatles at Ipswich Gaumont in 1963 as a schoolgirl - I booked tickets two weeks after the box office opened and amazingly got second row seats in the stalls!

Roy Orbison was great and Louise Cordet was very good; I remember she had a hit with a song called I'm Just a Baby. The Beatles were gorgeous. There was no hysteria and no huge crowds that I can remember. In fact, in contrast to the gig at the Odeon in Romford about a month later, it was pretty low-key.  A whole lot of us schoolgirls booked a coach from Colchester to Great Yarmouth to see the Beatles a few weeks later but they did not appear. Gerry and the Pacemakers topped the bill I think. A bit of a disappointment when it should have been the Beatles. Absolutely everyone at school was talking about the Beatles. I had cousins behind the iron curtain and they were Beatles fans and wanted to know more about them. I was a member of their fan club, run by Bettina Rose in Liverpool in those days, and had that feeling that they were 'my' group. Round about this time I became conscious that they were a world-wide phenomenon..."
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/22/live-gaumont-cinema-ipswich/

1964:  Recording: You Can't Do That
While The Beatles were abroad on holiday, George Martin overdubbed a piano part onto You Can't Do That. The session began at 10am and lasted just one hour. Martin's piano part was added onto take nine, which was subsequently renamed take 10. Despite his efforts, however, the overdub was never used. BeatlesBible.com

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” hit number 1 on the Billboard chart. It only spent one week in this position.

1968:  John and Yoko attend press launch of Apple Tailoring

Three days after their relationship began, John Lennon and Yoko Ono appeared in public for the first time, for the lunchtime launch party and press conference for Apple Tailoring (Civil and Theatrical), the second boutique from Apple Corps.
It took place at Club Dell'Aretusa, at 107 King's Road, Chelsea, London. Also present at the launch were George Harrison and his wife Pattie, and a number of other celebrities.

“We're still involved in a hectic recording scene at the moment, although I've spent this week at the office. All that paperwork!”
George Harrison

After the party Lennon and Ono walked the short distance to the new Apple Tailoring shop, at 161 King's Road, for the benefit of photographers. The boutique opened the following day. BeatlesBible

It was at the press conference that John made the statement that the Vietnam War was a “matter of insane people.” 
http://www.streamingoldies.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=1451

John and George with John Crittle, who ran the shop

1969:  Ringo Starr flies from New York to the Bahamas

On 16 May 1969, Ringo Starr, his wife Maureen and various members of the cast and crew of the film The Magic Christian set sail for New York on board the Queen Elizabeth 2 luxury liner. On this day they docked in New York.  With principal photography on the film recently completed, the holiday laid on by Commonwealth United by way of thanks to the cast and crew for finishing on time and on budget. Also on board were the film's co-star Peter Sellers, director Joe McGrath, producer Denis O'Dell, their respective wives and Apple's press officer Derek Taylor. The party did not remain in New York for long; on this same day they flew to the Bahamas, where they spent two weeks in the sun.

1977:  UK LP release: `The Beatles Live! at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962'.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #466 on: May 24, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »

May 23nd

1957:  The Eddie Clayton Skiffle Group with Ritchie Starkey on drums perfomed at the Wilson Hall, Speke Rd., Garston, Liverpool.

1960:  Performance at Dalrymple Hall, Fraserburgh, Aberdeen

The Silver Beetles had a day off on 22 May from their Scottish tour with Johnny Gentle, but continued the following day with a performance in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire. On the journey to Dalrymple Hall the driver Gerry Scott asked Johnny Gentle to take the wheel. Gentle crashed the small van into another car. Drummer Tommy Moore suffered concussion and loosened teeth when the group's equipment landed on him. While Moore was being treated in hospital, John Lennon and the promoter from Dalrymple Hall arrived and marched him to the venue. The heavily-sedated Moore duly played the concert, despite having little idea where he was.

“We did OK on that tour, playing church halls all over Scotland, places like Fraserburgh. It was great - we felt very professional. But we were endlessly on the phone to Larry Parnes's office, complaining that the money hadn't arrived. Years later I said this on a radio programme and Larry threatened to sue me, because his aunties had got onto him: 'Larry, you didn't pay those nice Beatle boys.' That was a true shame in his book.”  Paul McCartney
BeatlesBible.com

1961:   Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1963:  Performance at the Odeon Cinema, Nottingham, Notts (Roy Orbison Tour)

Police Officer Peter Gibson of the Nottingham City Police Force was assigned to guard the Beatles dressing room. He retired in 1990 after 35 years of service to the force. He chatted about that day:
http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/beatles/beatles-nottingham2.shtml

On Saturday, May 18, 1963, The Beatles embarked on their third nationwide tour of Britain, supporting American singer-songwriter and rock pioneer Roy Orbison. Though Orbison began the tour as headliner, audience demand quickly necessitated a change in billing and The Beatles assumed the top spot. By the time the tour ended on June 9, 1963, the band had played twenty dates with Orbison, who The Beatles idolized immensely. On the sixth night of the tour — May 23, 1963 — they played the Odeon Cinema on Angel Row in Nottingham. A page from this autograph book, still intact, was fully signed by all four Beatles that evening. While they signed numerous autograph books for fans in 1963, few have exhibited the kind of content showcased here.
More:
http://beatlesautographs.com/album-pages.htm

©Frank Caiazzo, Beatles Autographs

1964:  “Can’t Buy Me Love” was in Billboard’s Top 30 for the 8th week.

1965:   Brian appeared on ABC TV’s live program “The Eamonn Andrews Show”, where he revealed that his greatest ambition was acting.

1968: Television: Omnibus - All My Loving

In the spring of 1968 an edition of the BBC television series Omnibus was made about the British rock scene. On this day The Beatles appeared in a short sequence for the programme.
In a control room at EMI Studios, Abbey Road, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr appeared in separate interviews. In his excerpt McCartney stated that "Pop music is the classical music of now," and paradoxically complained that some people over analysed The Beatles' music..
BeatlesBible.com

Also interviewed, at different times and locations, were George Martin, the new Apple press officer Derek Taylor, and George Harrison’s mother Louise, while small snippets of archive material that made their way into the finished production included news footage of the Beatles in Rishikesh, an interview with the Maharishi, Beatlemania scenes circa 1964, John and Paul on the Tonight Show on 14 May, and a few mute extracts from the Lady Madonna promo filming on 11 February. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 283

This chat with Paul McCartney appears in the program 'All My Loving - A Film of Pop Music,' directed by Tony Palmer. At the time of its airing, this 1968 BBC documentary was both highly-acclaimed and controversial. It captured the changing attitudes of the late sixties by mixing graphic news footage of police brutality and the Vietnam War with the rock music of times. Heavily interspersed throughout are interviews with many of 1968's more influential rock stars. Also appearing in this made-for-TV film were Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Burdon and others. Tony Palmer spoke with Paul in an interview that was filmed on May 23rd 1968. The documentary was telecast on BBC television on November 3rd. As the interview segment begins, the film has drawn a comparison between the growing seriousness of rock 'n' roll and other styles of music which in the past had been taken more seriously, such as opera and the classics. - Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org

A preview of the film, which is available on DVD:
Tony Palmer All My Loving DVD Promo

1968:  Apple Tailoring opens in London

The full name of Apple's second boutique store was Apple Tailoring (Civil and Theatrical). It was situated at 161 King's Road, and was run by 25-year-old Australian designer John Crittle.

“The Beatles' dress sense is quieting down now, like everyone else. They all went mad last year, but now they're all coming back to a normal way of life. We won't get teenyboppers here, because prices will be too high for them. We're pushing velvet jackets and the regency look, although The Beatles put forward plenty of suggestions. They have pretty far ahead ideas, actually. We're catering mainly for pop groups, personalities, and turned-on swingers. The teenagers seem too frightened to come in, even though they know this is The Beatles' place. Maybe it's because the place is too elegant and too expensive.” John Crittle

The premises were shared with another clothing company, Dandy Fashions (sometimes spelt Dandie), which had opened in 1966. Apple Corps' Neil Aspinall and company accountant Stephen Maltz became directors of Dandy as part of its transformation into Apple Tailoring. The basement also housed a hairdressing salon financed by Apple and run by Leslie Cavendish, The Beatles' hair stylist. Apple Tailoring lasted longer than the Baker Street boutique, but it too closed in 1968. The Beatles decided to withdraw from high street commerce and gave the business and all stock to Crittle.
BeatlesBible.com

1970:  The Beatles’ “Let it Be” single was in Billboard’s Top 30 for the 11th week while John Lennon’s “Live Peace in Toronto” was in its 20th week there.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2012, 07:39:12 AM »

May 24th

1963: Radio: Pop Go The Beatles

On 30 April 1963 a BBC studio manager, Vernon Lawrence, suggested to his manager, assistant department head Donald MacLean, that The Beatles be given their own radio series. MacLean approved the idea, with four programmes commissioned and the option for a further 11 if successful. The budget for each half-hour show was £100, and producer Terry Henebery was given the task of making the shows. The first four were presented by Lee Peters - jokingly renamed Pee Litres by The Beatles - and featured a mix of music and chat. A different guest act also featured each week, chosen by the BBC and normally recorded in a different session. For this first episode the act was the Lorne Gibson Trio, who were also present at the Aeolian Hall in London. Each edition of Pop Go The Beatles began and ended with a rock 'n' roll version of the nursery rhyme Pop Goes The Weasel recorded by The Beatles on this day. The programme was recorded from 2-6pm, including rehearsals. The Beatles performed six songs, only three of which had previously been recorded for EMI: From Me To You, Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, Do You Want To Know A Secret, You Really Got A Hold On Me, Misery and The Hippy Hippy Shake. This first episode of Pop Go The Beatles was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme service on Tuesday 4 June 1963 at 5pm. BeatlesBible.com

Misery

1963:  Performance at the Granada Cinema, Walthamstow, London (Roy Orbison tour)

I only saw Roy Orbison the once, when he was with the Beatles on their first tour. They were appearing at the Walthamstow Granada and my father took me and 3 pals there. As it was the first Beatles tour, Orbison was the headline artist who was going to close the show, the Beatles were supposed to close the first half. This, however, was about 4 venues into the tour and Beatlemania had really taken over. It was obvious from the crowd of fans outside who THEY had come to see and so a switch had taken place, Orbison closing the first half instead. I did not hear a single note the Beatles played, the screaming was deafening to my ears. However, Orbison gave a perfect performance, which was fully appreciated by the fans.
One interesting fact. We (apparently) met the Beatles. I must admit that I did not know what any of them looked like at that time as I had ignored their music, thinking it was poor. ( In his autobiography, Mcartney said he did not think they would make it as he thought their earlier numbers were rubbish) However, as mentioned above, the five of us set out to be at the theatre about two hours before the off. I was sitting in the rear nearside passenger seat as we drew up at the traffic lights at the Cock, Palmers Green, on the North Circular Road. As we sat there a blue Bedford type van pulled up alongside us and the passenger rolled down the window. “ Do you know where the Walthamstow Granada is?” he asked. My dad told him to follow us, as we were going there. My pal Roger, who was a Beatles fan then turned round and told us that it was Paul Mcartney who had asked the way!! The van followed us to Walthamstow, until it was pulled over by a police car that had evidently been waiting for it.
http://www.idf50.co.uk/clubhouse/music-our-lives/12892-roy-orbison.html

1964: The interview with Ed Sullivan, filmed April 17th in the garden of Les Ambassadeurs club in London, was aired on his show today, along with the outtake of “You Can’t Do That” from “A Hard Day’s Night”, filmed March 31st at the Scala Theatre:

1967: The Beatles watch Procol Harum perform in London
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/05/24/the-beatles-watch-procol-harum-perform-in-london/

1969: Demo recordings for the White Album
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/05/24/demo-recordings-for-the-white-album/

http://youtu.be/1ZFVC0DOrRU (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1969:  The “Yellow Submarine” LP was in Billboard’s Top 100 for the 19th week. “Get Back” reached number 1 this week, during its 3rd week in the Top 100.

1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono fly to Barbados

John Lennon and Yoko Ono flew from London to Barbados on this day, hoping to hold their second bed-in for peace.  The Beatles had filmed part of Help! in Nassau in 1965, and Ringo Starr was heading there for a two-week holiday, both of which may have influenced the choice of destination. Lennon and Ono were intending to hold the bed-in at the Sheraton Oceanus Hotel in Freeport, but the idea was abandoned and the following day they flew to Toronto, Canada. BeatlesBible.com

1982:  UK single release: `Beatles' Movie Medley'/`I'm Happy Just To Dance With You'. 

"The Beatles' Movie Medley" is a compilation of snippets from various Beatles songs. It remains the only Beatles single not released on CD.
Parlophone Records initially refused to issue the single in the United Kingdom, regarding the medley as "tacky". But after the import demand for the US release grew, it was finally issued as Parlophone R6055. The original flip side was an interview with The Beatles about the making of the movie A Hard Day's Night. It was later re-released with "I'm Happy Just to Dance with You" on the flip side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_Movie_Medley

2003:   Paul's concert at Red Square, Moscow, Russia.

Back in the USSR
http://youtu.be/mh1gg7rr_SM (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:29:28 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #468 on: May 26, 2012, 04:31:07 AM »

May 25th

1960:  Live: St Thomas' Hall, Keith, Scotland

The Silver Beetles had another day off from the Scotland tour with Johnny Gentle on 24 May 1960, which gave drummer Tommy Moore a chance to recover from his road accident the previous day. But they continued the next day with a performance in Keith, Banffshire.

“That was our first professional gig: on a tour of dance halls miles up in the North of Scotland, around Inverness. We felt, 'Yippee, we've got a gig!' Then we realised that we were playing to nobody in little halls, until the pubs cleared out when about five Scottish Teds would come in and look at us. That was all. Nothing happened. We didn't really know anything. It was sad, because we were like orphans. Our shoes were full of holes and our trousers were a mess, while Johnny Gentle had a posh suit. I remember trying to play to 'Won't you wear my ring around your neck?' - he was doing Elvis's 'Teddy Bear' - and we were crummy. The band was horrible, an embarrassment. We didn't have amplifiers or anything. What little pay we did get was used to take care of the hotels. And we all slept in the van. We would argue about space. There weren't enough seats in the van, and somebody had to sit on the inside of the mudguard on the back wheel. Usually Stu.” George Harrison
Anthology

1963: The “Please Please Me” LP was number 1 for the 3rd week on the UK Record Retailer shop.

1963:  Performance at the City Hall, Sheffield (Roy Orbison tour).

"When I booked tickets for the Beatles/Roy Orbison tour in early 1963, I really wanted to see the Big O, who was then the headliner over the Merseyside upstarts. By the time they reached Sheffield, the Fab Four were top of the bill, although I remained to be convinced that they deserved it. I remember the great Roy Orbison, alone on the stage, dressed all in black, winning over the audience, but nothing prepared me for the uproar when the Beatles appeared. I spent most of the set watching the people around me in disbelief. I wrote in my diary "like a Roman orgy with screaming twisting girls" . . . but I was convinced: they were magic.”

Brian Clay: Sunday Times, 7 September 2009
multiplusbooks

1963:  The episode of “Saturday Club” taped May 21st was aired this day on BBC radio.

1965:  John Lennon spoke with television host Merv Griffin at the Cannes Film Festival in May, 1965. Director Dick Lester was also there, and spoke about the soon-to-be-released film, "Help!" The interview was shown on "The Merv Griffin Show" on June 1, 1965.
John Lennon in Cannes 1965 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1966: ”Rubber Soul” was in the New Musical Express Top 10 for the 25th week.

1967:  John took delivery of his psychedelic Rolls Royce.

1967:  Recording: It's All Too Much

The Beatles recorded away from EMI Studios once again on this day, moving to the independent De Lane Lea Studios, then situated at 129 Kingsway, London.  The purpose of the session was the recording of George Harrison's song It's All Too Much for the Yellow Submarine film soundtrack. Neither producer George Martin nor balance engineer Geoff Emerick were available, so the studio's in-house engineer Dave Siddle and tape operator Mike Weighell did the honours. Following considerable rehearsals the backing track for It's All Too Much was recorded in four takes on this day, though at this point the song was known simply as Too Much. It featured organ, bass guitar, distorted lead guitar and drums. The session took place from 7pm-2.30am. Work on It's All Too Much continued at De Lane Lea on 31 May and 2 June 1967. BeatlesBible.com

1969:  John Lennon and Yoko Ono had flown from London to Barbados on the previous day, hoping to hold their second bed-in for peace at the Sheraton Oceanus Hotel in Freeport. After spending a night there, however, they came to realise that the Bahamas were further from the United States than they thought, so wouldn't attract as much publicity as hoped for. Furthermore, the prospect of spending a week in bed in the sweltering heat was far from ideal. Footage from the hotel shows Lennon attempting to arrange a hotel in Toronto, Canada. Derek Taylor, Apple Corps' press officer, then announces that he has booked a direct flight from Freeport to Toronto at 5pm. Lennon strums his acoustic guitar and sings "Good old Air Canada!" Despite being held at Toronto airport for over two hours by immigration authorities, they were eventually allowed to enter the country. They spent the night at the King Edward Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, and the following day flew to Montreal. BeatlesBible.com

John Lennon Good Old Air Canada (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:59:59 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #469 on: May 27, 2012, 05:09:11 AM »

May 26th

1960:  Performance at the Town Hall, High Street, Forres, Morayshire
(Johnny Gentle tour)

1963:  Concert at the Empire, Liverpool (Roy Orbison tour). 
The Beatles’ first home-town appearance in more than six weeks. They were fast outgrowing the city. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 111

Spencer Leigh recalled: "On 26th May 1963, I caught the tour at the Liverpool Empire, where the Beatles topped the bill. I remember the cries for the Beatles as Orbison stepped out on stage. I wondered how he could cope with it, but he simply whispered, "A candy-coloured clown they call the Sandman" and he was away. The audience loved him and forgot the Beatles for thirty minutes. Roy Orbison: "I remember Paul and John grabbing me by my arms and not letting me go back to take my curtain call. The audience was yelling, 'We want Roy, we want Roy,' and there I was, being held captive by the Beatles who were saying, 'Yankee, go home.' We had a great time.""  http://www.spencerleigh.demon.co.uk

More Pictures

1965:  It was apparent by 1965 that The Beatles no longer needed to make appearance on BBC radio in order to promote themselves, so this session was their fifty-second and last appearance on BBC radio recording music. It was transmitted on the Light Programme as a "bank holiday" special on Whit Monday, June 7. The program lasted from 10:00 AM to 12:15 PM, fifteen minutes longer than usual. Because From Us To You didn't seem like an appropriate title considering how much The Beatles had changed musically since Spring 1963, they suggested a new title: The Beatles (Invite You To Take A Ticket To Ride). Recording took place on this date between 2:30 and 6:30 PM, rehearsal time included. They taped seven songs, including Ticket To Ride (played twice during the program, faded out after thirty-seven seconds at the beginning and played in full later in the program), Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby, I'm A Loser, The Night Before, Honey Don't, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, and She's A Woman. They also spoke with the host, musician and broadcaster Denny Piercy, but listeners generally thought that The Beatles did not speak enough when surveyed later, due to the fact that there were several guest artists in the 135-minute show. During a meeting with BBC radio executives, Brian Epstein promised that the group would record more bank holiday specials during 1965, on August 30 and December 26. However, despite this promise, The Beatles never recorded anything specifically for the BBC again.

@ 4:00: Although I laugh and I act like a clown, Beneath this wig I am wearing a tie
The Beatles Invite You to Take a Ticket to Ride (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” was in the New Musical Express Top 10 for the 7th and last week.

1965:  John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd fly to London from Tahiti

“Three weeks after beginning their holiday in Tahiti, John and Cynthia Lennon, George Harrison and Pattie Boyd flew back to London Airport.
The sun's there if you want to go and get it - I don't give a damn about the sun. You go out to these places and waste your time lying on the beach; I did it with George for three weeks. We were as brown as berries and we got home and it had gone the next day, so what's the point? I didn't feel any healthier - I was dead beat. John Lennon, 1965 Anthology

The return journey involved a stop-over in Los Angeles, before the group departed for London.

“The holiday was fantastic, but after four weeks we'd had enough. By now we'd drifted further and further from Tahiti and didn't relish the thought of a long boat ride home, so we hopped on a flying boat and went back and spent a day around Tahiti. We then caught a Pan Am 707 coming from New Zealand which took us to Los Angeles. The four of us were the only passengers on the plane and I remember lying on the floor, sleeping, as we had so much space to ourselves. In Los Angeles we went on a bus trip that took us around Sunset Strip, Beverly Hills and all the stars' homes: 'On your left is Jayne Mansfield's house,' and all that. We were only back in London for about a week before we left for Denmark, Holland, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand on tour. Soon we were back about a stone's throw away from where we'd just been in Tahiti.” John Lennon, 1965 Anthology
BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording: Yellow Submarine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/05/26/recording-yellow-submarine/

1967:  De Lane Lea Music Recording Studios. Time unknown. Recording: `Too Much' (working title of `It's All Too Much') (tape reduction take 4 into takes 1, 2, overdub onto take 2). Producer: not assigned; Engineer: Dave Siddle; 2nd Engineer: Mike Weighell. 

1968:  May 26th found Paul at Kensington Gardens directing a promotional film clip for Apple Publishing artists Grapefruit's new single, "Elevator".
http://beatlechat.blogspot.com/2011/11/miasmic-climaxes.html

1969: Zapple Records launched in the US
Following its UK launch on 9 May 1969, the Apple subsidiary Zapple Records was launched in the United States. The same two albums were released: John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Unfinished Music No 2: Life With The Lions, and George Harrison's Electronic Sound. Life With The Lions was released as Zapple ST 3357, with the same tracks as the UK edition. Electronic Sound - written, performed and produced by Harrison - was Zapple ST 3358.Zapple was an experimental label intended for spoken word and avant-garde recordings. It was closed in June 1969 by Allen Klein without any other records being released. BeatlesBible.com

1969:  US LP release: `Unfinished Music Number 2-Life with The Lions'. US LP release: `Electronic Sounds'. 

1969:  John and Yoko's second bed-in for peace: Montreal
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/05/26/john-and-yokos-second-bed-in-for-peace-montreal/

1970:  US gold certification: `Let It Be'.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:37:12 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #470 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »

May 27th

1960:  Performance at the Regal Ballroom in Nairn, Nairnshire, Scotland, backing Johnny Gentle. 

1963:  Performance at the Capitol, Cardiff (Roy Orbison tour). 

The Beatles with Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers

The Beatles live in Cardiff, 1963

"I was a teenager in Cardiff in the sixties. It is impossible to exaggerate the impact of the Beatles on our attitudes, cultural experience, hairstyles and on our burgeoning hormones! I went to see them in concert with Gerry and the Pacemakers and Roy Orbison and others I can't remember (but what a line-up!) at the Capitol Cinema on 27th May 1963, as a 15th birthday treat. My first live concert, it was exciting beyond my imagination. I was sitting in the fourth row from the front and couldn't hear much because of the screaming girls. Being a rather serious bloke, I thought they were very silly indeed and couldn't think why they had paid 7/6d (37½ pence - a fortune) and not hear the music! However, the odd snatches of music I caught were very exciting. I can remember what I wore (my grey school trousers, my check tweed sports jacket - which was like Heinz sandwich spread!- and a rather non-matching red and green 'slim jim' tie, with very slightly pointed black shoes - a ghastly ensemble but I thought I was so cool!) but I cannot remember if I went with a group of male schoolfriends or with my girlfriend. I can remember a girl I knew, Wendy, running to the stage to throw her panties at Paul McCartney, but cannot remember what the weather was like! (probably a fine evening). I went home on the bus, my ears still buzzing with the screaming and the music, feeling a sense of excitement which took a few days to subside, and which was a talking point for many years - even now occasionally! Magic!  Male, 59 North East England"

More here

1963:  US single release: `From Me to You'/`Thank You Girl'

1964:  With the Beatles was in the New Musical Express chart’s Top 30 for the 27th week.

1966:  The transition from the “innocent” era of pop music into savvy artist-controlled rock music was well illustrated by a long sequence filmed this day involving Bob Dylan and John Lennon.

Dylan was in Britain on a memorable concert tour, the one in which he spurned his folk image, and the folk following, by performing an electric set backed by The Band. In fact, it was on this evening the tour reached the Royal Albert Hall in London, John and George cheering Dylan amid a jeering audience.

Earlier on this day, Dylan and John Lennon were filmed riding in the back of a chauffeured limousine, driving into central London – to the May Fair Hotel in Stratton Street- from John’s house in Weybridge, Surrey…..

The sequence was intended to form part of Eat the Document, a chronicle of Dylan’s latest European concert tour which had hired D A Pennebaker to direct. The US TV network ABC advanced Dylan money but he maintained artistic control, over-seeing the film-editing back in America with assistance from Robbie Robertson of The Band. But one bad experience led to another, ABC rejected the rough-cut then Dylan had his infamous motor-cycle accident, as a result of which Eat the Document bit the dust. Outside of a one-week screening at a small New York cinema in 1969, and a single showing on WNDT-TV, the educational channel in New York, it (was not officially released)….
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 223

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_the_Document

john lennon and bob dylan london 1966 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1979:  On 27 May 1979 on page 20E of the New York Times, John Lennon and Yoko Ono issued a “Love Letter From John And Yoko To People Who Ask Us What, When And Why“.

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/2579

1995:  Westwood Radio aired the first two episodes of Paul’s show Oobu Joobo. It continued through September 10th.

http://epguides.com/OobuJoobu/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oobu_Joobu

One of the episodes (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1997:  Paul’s Flaming Pie CD was released.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:30:58 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #471 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »

May 28th

1960:  Performance at the Rescue Hall, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire.
This marked the end of the Johnny Gentle tour.

1963:  Concert at the Gaumont, Worcester (Roy Orbison tour). 

1966:  The Beatles spent the day in Bob Dylan's hotel room, watching D.A. Pennebaker's film Don't Look Back.
http://www.mccartney2.chat.ru/books/diary/m10_1966.html

1967:   The Beatles attend a party at Brian Epstein's country house

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/05/28/beatles-attend-party-brian-epstein-country-house/

1969:  Mixing, master compilation: Let It Be, Get Back LP

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/05/28/mixing-master-compilation-let-it-be-get-back-lp/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:29:42 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #472 on: May 31, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

May 29th

1963: “Please Please Me” was in the New Musical Express chart’s Top 10 for the 10th week.

1963:  Concert at the Rialto, York (Roy Orbison tour). 

1963:  The Lennon and McCartney penned “Do You Want to Know a Secret”, recorded by Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, hit number 1 on the New Musical Express chart.

1964:  The Beatles recordings of “Ain’t She Sweet” and “If You Love Me Baby”, with Tony Sheridan were released as a single in the UK.

1966:  The Beatles spent another day with Bob Dylan at the Mayfair.
http://www.mccartney2.chat.ru/books/diary/m10_1966.html

1966: In 1966, Epstein returned to Spain from 7th May until the 30th, following the bulls and attending ferias. (He had a brief interlude back in London to preview a promotional film for the Beatles’ single Paperback Writer.) On 28th May, he attended a corrida in Sevilla with Kenneth Tynan. Epstein was delighted when Miguelín doffed his montera in La Maestranza and dedicated a bull to him.
http://www.ctol.org/ladivisaarticles/The%20Aficion%20of%20Brian%20Epsteinv2.htm

1982:  The BBC radio special "The Beatles at the BEEB" was broadcast in the US. http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may29.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mc0c5
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:32:15 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #473 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »

May 30th

1960:  Performance at the Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool

The first of several Silver Beetles engagements at this city-centre venue owned by Allan Williams. When they weren’t otherwise engaged the group played here on Mondays, when the club’s resident Royal Caribbean Steel Band had their night off.

Note: a full listing of the Beatles’ performances at this venue cannot be compiled since they were neither noted nor advertised at the time. They probably numbered around 12. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 27

In 1957 Williams leased a former watch-repair shop at 21 Slater Street, Liverpool, which he converted into a coffee bar. He named the venue the Jacaranda, after an exotic species of ornamental flowering tree, jacaranda mimosifolia. The Jac (as it became known) opened in September 1958. The Beatles were frequent customers, with John Lennon and Stuart Sutcliffe attending Liverpool Art College nearby, and Paul McCartney at Liverpool Institute adjacent to the college. Asking for the chance to play the club, Williams instead put them to work redecorating, with Lennon and Sutcliffe painting a mural for the Ladies room. Finally, the Beatles began playing at the Jac on occasion. Between May and August 1960, Williams secured a number of bookings for the group at other places. (Scott Wheeler: Charlie Lennon: Uncle To A Beatle. Boulder, Colorado: Outskirts Press, 2005.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Williams

1963:  Performance at the Odeon, Manchester (Roy Orbison tour)

This concert was reviewed in the Daily Express by its northern show-business correspondent  Derek Taylor, who subsequently became Brian Epstein’s personal assistant and then the Beatles’ and Apple’s press officer.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 111

"The Liverpool Sound came to Manchester last night, and I thought it was magnificent... Indecipherable, meaningless nonsense, of course, but as beneficial and invigorating as a week on a beach at the pierhead overlooking the Mersey... I suppose there is not - yet - a first-class musician among them... Their stage manner has little polish but limitless energy, and they have in abundance the fundamental rough good humour of their native city. Nobody could hear themselves trying to think. The act was largely drowned, but it didn't matter at all... The spectacle of these fresh, cheeky, sharp, young entertainers in apposition to the shiny-eyed teenage idolaters is as good as a rejuvenating drug for the jaded adult."

Derek Taylor, Daily Express

"I "saw" Roy Orbison when he toured with the Beatles in 1964 [sic] at the Manchester Odeon. Roy, who had numerous hits at that stage, was Top of the Bill. The Beatles closed the first half of the show. By the time Roy came on to perform, the theatre had virtually emptied of the hundreds of teenage girls in the audience who had fled outside hoping to catch a glimpse of the Fab Four. My friend Anna and I saw Roy sing a couple of bars of "Only the Lonely", looked at one another and, to my eternal shame and regret, fled the theatre too. By then, there were only a handful of people watching Roy - the theatre was almost empty. I do believe later in the tour the Beatles were moved so they were the final act and Roy closed the first half. By the way, we didn't see the Beatles outside - they were long gone." http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=6163351&latest=1

1964: “Can’t Buy Me Love” was in Billboard’s Top 30 for the 9th and last week.

1966:   US single release: Paperback Writer/Rain
Eleven days prior to its UK release, Capitol Records issued The Beatles' single Paperback Writer/Rain in the United States. The single topped the US charts, although its two-week stay at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 was ended by Frank Sinatra's Strangers In The Night. Paperback Writer was the only song from 1966 to be performed by The Beatles during their final US tour in August 1966. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Autograph hunters in a Mini Cooper chase John Lennon in his Rolls Royce, which is stopped in Bushy Park Road, Teddington, Middlesex, by the police. John is fined for speeding. The Mini is also stopped. The chasers get their autographs after the police finish with Lennon.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may30.html

1966:  Brian flew from Madrid to New York to arrange the next American tour. 

1968:  Recording: Revolution 1
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/05/30/recording-revolution-1/

1969:   UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko

The Beatles' second UK single of 1969, The Ballad Of John And Yoko, was released on this day. The b-side was George Harrison's Old Brown Shoe.
The Ballad Of John And Yoko was recorded by John Lennon and Paul McCartney at Abbey Road's studio three on 14 April 1969, without the other two Beatles being present. It was rush-released just six weeks after it was recorded, while Get Back was still at number one in the UK charts. The Ballad Of John And Yoko was released as Apple R 5786, and was The Beatles' first single in Britain and Europe to be released in stereo. The single entered the UK charts on 4 June 1969, and the following week reached the number one spot. It stayed there for three weeks, and spent a total of 14 weeks on the charts. BeatlesBible.com

1970: The “Let it Be” single was in Billboard’s Top 30 the 12th week.
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #474 on: June 06, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

May 31st

1962:  Live: Star-Club, Hamburg

This was the final night of The Beatles' first residency at Hamburg's Star-Club, the city's newest rock 'n' roll venue. The group spent a total of seven weeks performing at the German venue, notching up 172 hours of stage time over 48 nights. Their stint had begun on Friday 13 April. The Beatles left Hamburg on Saturday 2 June. It was their third residency in Hamburg within two years, but wouldn't be their last; they returned two more times to the Star-Club before the end of 1962. BeatleBible.com

1963:  Performance at the Odeon Cinema, Southend-on-Sea, Essex (Roy Orbison tour)

"I went to see the Beatles on 31st May 1963 at the Odeon Southend-on-Sea. It was the fist time I had been to a concert by myself. I paid 7/6 for a seat at the first proformance in the back stalls. Also on that show were Gerry and the Pacemakers and Roy Orbison. I didn't hear a thing..... it was so noisy. Afterwards I went down the side of the Odeon and saw John leaning out of the window waving. I was a bit late home and my parents were not too pleased with me.

Female, 57 South East England" Magical Memory Tour

1964:  Two performances at the Prince of Wales Theatre

A return visit to the scene of their Royal Variety Show triumph the previous 4 November. This concert was the fifth in a series of seven consecutive Pops Alive! Sunday-night pop concerts promoted by Brian Epstein. There were six support acts for each of the two “houses” this evening: Kenny Lynch, Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, the Vernon Girls, the Lorne Gibson Trio, the Chants and the Harlems.

The Beatles’ repertoire comprised “All My Loving”, “This Boy”, “Roll Over Beethoven”, “Till There was You”, “Twist and Shout” and “Long Tall Sally”.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 160

Prior to the concerts Ringo Starr took delivery of a brand new Ludwig drum kit worth £350, from London's Drum City shop. BeatlesBible.com

Description of the kit:
http://www.ringosbeatlekits.com/ (Scroll down to #4)

1966:   Ringo Starr is photographed for The Beatles Book

During a short break in the sessions for Revolver, Ringo Starr took part in a photoshoot for The Beatles Book magazine. The session was conducted by Leslie Bryce, the staff photographer from the magazine. It took place at Sunny Heights, Starr's home in Weybridge. BeatlesBible.com

The December 1966 issue of The Beatles Book Monthly featured an exclusive interview with Ringo Starr. This article gives a rare glimpse of laid-back Ringo in his natural environment, relaxing in the comfort of his Surrey home. This brief conversation gives just a glimpse of home life behind the scenes. Jay Spangler, beatlesinterviews.org

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1966.12rs.beatles.html

1967:  Recording, mixing: It's All Too Much
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/05/31/recording-mixing-its-all-too-much/

1968:  Recording: Revolution 1

Studio Three, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick

The second session for the White Album saw work continue on Revolution 1, which at this time was known simply as Revolution.  The session began at 2.30pm and ended at midnight. John Lennon double-tracked his lead vocals and Paul McCartney added a bass guitar part. A reduction mix was then made, known as take 19, which allowed for further overdubs to be made. Backing vocals by McCartney, his new girlfriend Francie Schwartz and George Harrison were then recorded, with the trio singing "shoo-be-doo-wop" during the chorus. BeatlesBible.com

1969: The “Yellow Submarine” album was in Billboard’s Top 100 for the 20th week. “Get Back” was number 1 on this chart for the 2nd week. This was the second week that the single was in the Top 30.

1977:  US single release: `Seaside Woman'. 
Suzy and the Red Stripes was a pseudonym used by the band Wings during the 1970s. The only release by Wings under that name was a single written and sung by Linda McCartney entitled "Seaside Woman", which was backed by "B-Side to Seaside."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzy_and_the_Red_Stripes
1980:
http://youtu.be/kemNBjZhJJ8 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:22:37 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »

June 1st

1963: The “Please Please Me” LP was 1 for the 4th week on the UK Record Retailers chart.

1963:  Session at the BBC Paris Studio, London
Two performances at the Granada Cinema, Tooting, London

Another hectic day for the Beatles; eight hours inside a BBC radio studio followed by two separate “houses” at the Tooting Granada with the Roy Orbison package tour.

The BBC session was for both the second and third editions in their own series Pop Go the Beatles. Curiously, programme three was taped first, between 9.30 am and 1:30 pm; number two was then recorded between 1.30 and 5.30. (A rehearsal element was included in these timings.) The Beatles’ guests in programme three were Carter-Lewis and the Southerners and in programme two the Countrymen.

Before the series began, the Beatles let it be known that they would use the privileged BBC airtime to broadcast songs that had formed the backbone of their pre-fame live repertoire. An article in the New Musical Express of 24 May 1963 stated: “The Beatles will sing five or six numbers in each presentation (program). R&B material will be strongly featured.” It was an interesting decision, for although they did play a few Lennon-McCartney numbers, they certainly could have featured them much more. Instead, the Beatles opted for versatility, letting the British public hear the songs they could no longer perform in live concerts now restricted to 20-25 minutes and hit material.
It was because of this decision that people have been able to hear – and preserve – studio environment, often live in-one-take recordings of rare Beatles performances, a huge cache of remarkable material.

In programme three, broadcast in the Light Programme between 5.00 and 5.29 pm on Tuesday 18 June, the group sang “A Shot of Rhythm and Blues”, “Memphis, Tennessee”, A Taste of Honey”, “Sure to Fall (in Love With You)”, “Money (That’s What I Want)” and “From Me to You”.

In programme two, transmitted in the Light Programme between 5.00 and 5.29 pm on Tuesday, 11 June, the Beatles performed “Too Much Monkey Business”, “I Got to Find My Baby”, “Till There Was You” and “Love Me Do”.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 112

Second transmission:
The Beatles - Pop Go the Beatles (2nd Transmition; 11th June 1963) [HiQ] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Third transmission:
The Beatles - Pop Go the Beatles (3rd Transmition; 18th June 1963) [HiQ] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1963:  Two performances at the Granada Cinema, Tooting, London (Roy Orbison tour).

'Were you at Beatles Tooting gig?', asks author
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/whereilive/southlondon/wandsworthnews/4738291._Were_you_at_Beatles_gig____asks_author/?ref=rss

1964:  Recording: Matchbox, I'll Cry Instead, Slow Down, I'll Be Back
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/01/recording-matchbox-ill-cry-instead-slow-down-ill-be-back/

1964:  Brian announced plans for the Beatles 1964 Christmas Show, to be presented at the Odeon, Hammersmith. 

1966: “Rubber Soul” was in the Top 10 on the New Musical Express chart for the 26th week.

1966:  Recording: Yellow Submarine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/01/recording-yellow-submarine-2/

1966: While in New York, Brian criticized the imposition of a new mimic ban on television by the Musicians' Union. 

1967:  UK LP release: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Heralded upon its release as The Beatles' masterpiece, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was issued in the UK on this day. It was released as PMC 7027 (mono) and PCS 7027 (stereo). A 4" reel-to-reel tape was also issued in 1967, with the catalogue number TA-PMC 7027 (3¾ ips twin-track mono tape). Sgt Pepper entered the UK charts on 3 June 1967. The following week it was at number one, where it remained for 23 weeks. It returned to the top spot for another week on 25 November, for two weeks from 23 December, and for a final week on 3 February 1968. In all it spent 148 consecutive weeks in the charts. Sgt Pepper sold more than 250,000 copies in the UK in its first week of release, and by the end of June had sold over half a million. It remains in the top 10 best-selling albums of all time, both in the UK and worldwide. BeatlesBible.com

Released on 1st June, 1967, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the band’s eighth album became the soundtrack to the “summer of love” but its appeal is timeless.
[ur=http://www.thebeatles.com/album/sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-bandl]More[/url]

When listening to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, you’ll notice the dreamy, whimsical, almost psychedelic quality of the album. This recording marked a turning point for the Beatles; it was the first time they were free of time constraints and able to fully focus on studio experimentation. Part of this was the exploration of pitch and time manipulation achieved by speeding up or slowing down tape machines. In “When I’m Sixty-Four”, Paul McCartney performed the song at a slower speed so that the normally timed vocals would be higher in pitch; closer to the childlike tone of the song. Sometimes pitch shifting was used to pull off seemingly impossible musical feats; during a particularly difficult piano pass, producer George Martin decided to play the part in half time and later return it to normal speed for the final mix. Perhaps most miraculously, pitch shifting made it possible to combine two seemingly disparate tracks into one. The classic track Strawberry Fields Forever was created by pitch shifting two takes, each in different keys and tempos, until they flowed together seamlessly.
http://aquirkyblog.com/tag/recording/

1967:  Recording: Untitled
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/06/01/recording-untitled-2/

1969:  John Lennon argues with Al Capp in Montreal
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/06/01/john-lennon-argues-al-capp-montreal/

Al Capp, was an American cartoonist and humorist best known for the satirical comic strip Li'l Abner.
Capp's increasingly controversial remarks at his campus speeches and during TV appearances cost him his semi-regular spot on the Tonight Show. His contentious public persona during this period was captured on a late sixties comedy LP called Al Capp On Campus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capp

http://youtu.be/iYxFO8o-t2E (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1969:  John Lennon and Yoko Ono record “Give Peace a Chance”
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/06/01/john-lennon-and-yoko-ono-record-give-peace-a-chance/

http://youtu.be/B288XluNfv4 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1969: George and Pattie Harrison holiday in Sardinia

The Beatles and their wives all took holidays in the early summer of 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney in Corfu; Ringo Starr and Maureen Starkey on a cruise aboard the QE2 then on to the Bahamas; John Lennon and Yoko Ono held their second bed-in in Montreal; and George and Pattie Harrison in Sardinia. The Harrisons were the last of the four couples to leave England. They flew on this day from London Airport to Sardinia, returning on 23 June 1969. BeatlesBible.com

1973:  Single release: `Live And Let Die', Paul McCartney and Wings
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:47:30 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »

June 2nd

1960:  The Institute, Neston, Wirral, Cheshire

The first of six consecutive Thursday-night engagements at this venue, situated on the west side of the Wirral, close to north Wales. Paramount Enterprises, alias promoter Les Dodd, had been running “strict tempo” evenings at this venue _ and also at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard, Wallesy – since 1936, but had, rather grudgingly, come to the conclusion that rock and roll/jive sessions were more lucrative. On this evening Dodd paid the Silver Beetles £10, out of which they gave £1 commission to Allan Williams.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 112

1962:  Travel: Hamburg to Liverpool

Following their 48-night residency at Hamburg's Star-Club, in which they notched up 172 hours of stage time over seven weeks, The Beatles began their journey back to Liverpool. In the afternoon they caught a Lufthansa flight to London Airport, from which they caught a connecting flight to Manchester Airport. They arrived at 7.25pm and were driven to their homes in Liverpool. BeatlesBible.com

1963: Performance at the Hippodrome, Brighton (Roy Orbison tour). 

1964:  Recording: Any Time at All, Things We Said Today, When I Get Home

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/02/recording-any-time-at-all-things-we-said-today-when-i-get-home/

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” was in the New Musical Express Top 30 for the 8th week.

1965:  John, George and Ringo attend the première of Richard Lester's The Knack (And How to Get It)
On this day John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were among the celebrities attended the première of director Richard Lester's film The Knack (And How To Get It) at the London Pavilion cinema. Having worked with him on both A Hard Day's Night and the forthcoming Help!, The Beatles were good friends with director Richard Lester. The film was made shortly before work began on Help!, The Beatles' second feature film. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/02/recording-mixing-i-want-to-tell-you-yellow-submarine/

1967:  Recording, mixing: It's All Too Much
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/06/02/recording-mixing-its-all-too-much-2/

1967:  US LP release: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The day after it was released in the United Kingdom, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was issued in the United States of America. Sgt Pepper was issued as Capitol MAS 6253 (mono) and SMAS 2653 (stereo). It topped the Billboard chart for 15 weeks, and in 1968 won four Grammy Awards: Album of the Year; Best Album Cover, Graphic Arts; Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical; Contemporary Album. It was nominated for a further three: Group Vocal Performance; Contemporary Vocal Group; Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists (for A Day In The Life). Sgt Pepper was the first Beatles album to be released with identical track listings in both the UK and USA, as stipulated by the group. As it was arguably their first long-player to be a conceptual whole rather than a straightforward collection of songs, it was important to them that Capitol issued it in the form envisaged by the creators. US copies of Sgt Pepper, however, didn't include the high-pitched run-out whistle following A Day In The Life, nor the gibberish in the side two runout groove. BeatlesBible.com

2010:  Paul McCartney is honoured by President Obama at the White House
http://www.beatlesbible.com/2010/06/02/paul-mccartney-president-obama-white-house-gershwin-prize/
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »

June 3rd

1962:  Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool

The Beatles' first Abbey Road recording session was booked for 6 June 1962, and the group needed to prepare material.
Having failed the Decca audition they were taking no chances. On this and the following day they rehearsed at Liverpool's Cavern Club, making sure they were tight enough to convince EMI to give them a full recording contract. On this day they rehearsed at the Cavern from 3-6.30pm.
BeatlesBible.com

1963:  The BBC broadcasted The Beatles performance on “Steppin’ Out”, recorded May 21st.

http://youtu.be/V0M0wYvawLQ (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1963:  Performance at the Granada Cinema, Woolwich, London (Roy Orbison tour)

1964:  “With the Beatles” was in the New Musical Express Top 30 for the 28th week.

1964:   During a Beatles photo shoot with photographer John Launois, for the US magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Ringo Starr collapses, suffering from tonsillitis and pharyngitis, and he is hospitalized. Since The Beatles are scheduled to leave on a world tour the very next morning, it is too late to cancel their plans. Brian Epstein and George Martin arrange for a temporary drummer to take Ringo's place for the first part of the tour, and the drummer selected is Jimmy Nicol (someone who they knew to be talented, but who was unknown enough not to be mistaken as a permanent replacement for Ringo). On the spur of a last-minute phone call from George Martin, Nicol rushes over to EMI Studios, where he and The Beatles run through six songs from their tour repertoire in a quick rehearsal (I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, Can't Buy Me Love, and Long Tall Sally). Just 27 hours later, drummer Jimmy Nicol was performing live with The Beatles in Copenhagen, Denmark.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/June/june3.html

Poor Ringo does not look well:

More

The Story of Jimmy Nicol, Ex-Drummer of The Beatles
http://ikono.org/2011/05/the-story-of-jimmy-nicol-ex-drummer-of-the-beatles-2/

1964:  Recording: You Know What to Do, You're My World, No Reply, Any Time At All, Things We Said Today

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/03/recording-you-know-what-to-do-youre-my-world-no-reply-any-time-at-all-things-we-said-today/

1966:  Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/03/recording-mixing-i-want-to-tell-you-yellow-submarine-2/

1967:  `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', number 1 in Britain. 

1969: John and Yoko in Ottawa, Canada

Throughout the "bed-in" in Montreal, the city's only rock and roll station was CFOX (1470 on the radio dial back then) had made arrangements to have DJ Chuck Chandler interview John and Yoko on a daily basis using a mobile broadcasting facility in the same room as the Lennons, not far from their bedside. Towards the end of the Montreal "bed-in" is when Allan Rock would appear with his proposal, a bold and brave move by the young 21-year-old Student President. I'm sure CFOX's Chuck Chandler must have been very intrigued by the idea floating around the hotel room of a possible meeting between Canada's Prime Minister Trudeau and the Lennons in Ottawa. And, as the C.B.C.'s television special "John & Yoko's Year of Peace" would reveal, Chuck Chandler tried to get a definite confirmation from Derek Taylor (Apple Record's "Press Officer") as to whether John and Yoko would end up actually meeting the Prime Minister. The film footage showed Derek's answer as being extremely aloof and very vague with no concrete answer for Chuck Chandler as to whether the meeting with Pierre Trudeau would occur or not.

And of course, in spite of the uncertainty, John and Yoko did decide to visit Ottawa on June 3, 1969, but, unfortunately, not with the Prime Minister in attendance. However, all was not lost for John and Yoko -- they did hold an interesting Seminar On World Peace with the students and media. During their visit and at John Lennon's request, Allan Rock drove the Lennons around in his beetle for a tour of the city. They eventually stopped right at the front doorsteps of 24 Sussex Drive -- the Prime Minister's residence -- whereupon John wrote and left a message for Pierre Trudeau since he wasn't home. That letter created the necessary window of opportunity to set up a future meeting with Prime Minister Trudeau that was held on December 23, 1969 during their third and final visit to Canada. John and Yoko met Prime Minister Trudeau for nearly fifty minutes. You can read the actual media coverage here at the Ottawa Beatles Web Site listed under "Historical Interest." (See the Ottawa Citizen's "PM -- 'a beautiful person' and for the Ottawa Journal's "Lennons Came for 5 Minutes; Stayed With PM an Hour" filed within the menu list as: "Lennons visit Ottawa.") http://beatles.ncf.ca/proofs.html

@3:36
John Lennon (3/6) - Year of peace (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:38:58 PM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »

June 4th

1960:  Performance at the Corporation's Grosvernor Ballroom in Liscard. 

1962:  The Beatles signed their first contract with Parlophone.

EMI Music History

1963:  Performance at the Town Hall, Birmingham (Roy Orbison tour). 

1963:  The first in the “Pop Go the Beatles” series, recorded May 25th, was aired on BBC radio between 5:00 and 5:29 pm

1964:  Studio 2. 2.30-7.00pm. Mono mixing: `Long Tall Sally' (from take 1), `Matchbox' (from take 5) `I Call Your Name' (remixes 1, 2, from takes 5, 7). Editing: `I Call Your Name' (of mono remixes 1, 2). Recording: `Slow Down' (overdub onto take 6). Mono mixing: `Slow Down' (from take 6), `When I Get Home' (remix 1, from take 11), `Any Time At All' (remix 1, from take 11), I'll Cry Instead (Section A) (from take 6), `I'll Cry Instead' Section B from take 8. Editing: `I'll Cry Instead' of mono remixes from takes 6 and 8 Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Norman Smith; 2nd Engineer: Richard Langham. End of work on EP `Long Tall Sally'. 

1964:  The Beatles' world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark

For all the concerts they played between 1963 and 1966, The Beatles only undertook one world tour. It began on this day in Copenhagen, Denmark, and continued in the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand.
In the morning The Beatles were driven by their chauffeur, Bill Corbett, to London Airport where they were taken to their aeroplane ahead of the other passengers. There they signed autographs for the captain and crew. More than 6,000 fans awaited their arrival in Copenhagen, and Danish police had to quell crowds of around 10,000 who brought the city centre to a standstill. As they checked in to the Royal Hotel fans attempted to storm the doors. Ringo Starr remained in London, having been hospitalised with tonsillitis and pharyngitis the previous day. His temporary replacement, Jimmie Nicol, had to swiftly adjust to life in the whirlwind of Beatlemania for the next five dates of the tour. The group rehearsed their set in the afternoon, and Mal Evans taped the setlist to their guitars to help them remember the running order. They were also visited by the British ambassador to Denmark. The Beatles performed two shows as the KB Hallen venue, at 6pm and 9.30pm, with 4,400 fans seeing each. The set list for the first concert was: I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Saw Her Standing There, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy and Long Tall Sally. The order of the first two songs was switched for the second show of the night, and for all subsequent dates in the tour. At the end of the evening the stage announcer told the audience that The Beatles would not return to the stage, and a potted delphinium was thrown in protest. As the tour progressed, occasionally Twist And Shout replaced Long Tall Sally as the closer. At the Royal Hotel after the second show The Beatles were treated to a local delicacy, smorrebrodsseddel, a type of jam sandwich. Paul McCartney also sent Ringo a telegram which read: "Didn't think we could miss you so much. Get well soon." BeatlesBible.com

More watermarked images, including lots of concert shots are here

http://youtu.be/8_zzoJYoeao (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1965:  UK EP release: `Beatles For Sale (No 2)'

http://youtu.be/_t-X9b7ePB0 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1967:  McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr had first seen The Jimi Hendrix Experience performing on 11 January 1967 at the Bag O'Nails club in London. On this day McCartney, George Harrison, Jane Asher and Pattie Boyd watched them headline a bill at the city's Saville Theatre. The bill also included Denny Laine & His Electric String Band, The Chiffons and Procol Harum. Hendrix opened his set with a version of the title track from The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, which had been released just three days before.
“It would be one of his first gigs in London. Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4 June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing 'Sgt. Pepper', and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It's still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you'd put it in, but he just opened with it. It's a pretty major compliment in anyone's book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I'm sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost.”
Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

They also performed "Day Tripper", just as they would on BBC Radio's "Top Gear" on December 15, 1967:

http://youtu.be/qGRw2Tcw5ow (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1968:  Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/06/04/recording-mixing-revolution-1/

1969:  US single release: `The Ballad Of John And Yoko'/`Old Brown Shoe'.

1976:  UK LP release: `The Beatles Featuring Tony Sheridan'. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:41:19 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Around The Beatles

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

June 3rd

1964:   During a Beatles photo shoot with photographer John Launois, for the US magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Ringo Starr collapses, suffering from tonsillitis and pharyngitis, and he is hospitalized. Since The Beatles are scheduled to leave on a world tour the very next morning, it is too late to cancel their plans. Brian Epstein and George Martin arrange for a temporary drummer to take Ringo's place for the first part of the tour, and the drummer selected is Jimmy Nicol (someone who they knew to be talented, but who was unknown enough not to be mistaken as a permanent replacement for Ringo). On the spur of a last-minute phone call from George Martin, Nicol rushes over to EMI Studios, where he and The Beatles run through six songs from their tour repertoire in a quick rehearsal (I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, Can't Buy Me Love, and Long Tall Sally). Just 27 hours later, drummer Jimmy Nicol was performing live with The Beatles in Copenhagen, Denmark.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/June/june3.html

Poor Ringo does not look well:

The cover...

I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Page created in 7.609 seconds with 28 queries.