A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 67156 times)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »

May 30th

1960:  Performance at the Jacaranda Coffee Bar, Liverpool

The first of several Silver Beetles engagements at this city-centre venue owned by Allan Williams. When they weren’t otherwise engaged the group played here on Mondays, when the club’s resident Royal Caribbean Steel Band had their night off.

Note: a full listing of the Beatles’ performances at this venue cannot be compiled since they were neither noted nor advertised at the time. They probably numbered around 12. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 27

In 1957 Williams leased a former watch-repair shop at 21 Slater Street, Liverpool, which he converted into a coffee bar. He named the venue the Jacaranda, after an exotic species of ornamental flowering tree, jacaranda mimosifolia. The Jac (as it became known) opened in September 1958. The Beatles were frequent customers, with John Lennon and Stuart Sutcliffe attending Liverpool Art College nearby, and Paul McCartney at Liverpool Institute adjacent to the college. Asking for the chance to play the club, Williams instead put them to work redecorating, with Lennon and Sutcliffe painting a mural for the Ladies room. Finally, the Beatles began playing at the Jac on occasion. Between May and August 1960, Williams secured a number of bookings for the group at other places. (Scott Wheeler: Charlie Lennon: Uncle To A Beatle. Boulder, Colorado: Outskirts Press, 2005.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Williams

1961:  Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany. 

1962:  Performance at the Star-Club, Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, Germany.

1963:  Performance at the Odeon, Manchester (Roy Orbison tour)

This concert was reviewed in the Daily Express by its northern show-business correspondent  Derek Taylor, who subsequently became Brian Epstein’s personal assistant and then the Beatles’ and Apple’s press officer.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 111

"The Liverpool Sound came to Manchester last night, and I thought it was magnificent... Indecipherable, meaningless nonsense, of course, but as beneficial and invigorating as a week on a beach at the pierhead overlooking the Mersey... I suppose there is not - yet - a first-class musician among them... Their stage manner has little polish but limitless energy, and they have in abundance the fundamental rough good humour of their native city. Nobody could hear themselves trying to think. The act was largely drowned, but it didn't matter at all... The spectacle of these fresh, cheeky, sharp, young entertainers in apposition to the shiny-eyed teenage idolaters is as good as a rejuvenating drug for the jaded adult."

Derek Taylor, Daily Express

"I "saw" Roy Orbison when he toured with the Beatles in 1964 [sic] at the Manchester Odeon. Roy, who had numerous hits at that stage, was Top of the Bill. The Beatles closed the first half of the show. By the time Roy came on to perform, the theatre had virtually emptied of the hundreds of teenage girls in the audience who had fled outside hoping to catch a glimpse of the Fab Four. My friend Anna and I saw Roy sing a couple of bars of "Only the Lonely", looked at one another and, to my eternal shame and regret, fled the theatre too. By then, there were only a handful of people watching Roy - the theatre was almost empty. I do believe later in the tour the Beatles were moved so they were the final act and Roy closed the first half. By the way, we didn't see the Beatles outside - they were long gone." http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=6163351&latest=1

1964: “Can’t Buy Me Love” was in Billboard’s Top 30 for the 9th and last week.

1966:   US single release: Paperback Writer/Rain
Eleven days prior to its UK release, Capitol Records issued The Beatles' single Paperback Writer/Rain in the United States. The single topped the US charts, although its two-week stay at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 was ended by Frank Sinatra's Strangers In The Night. Paperback Writer was the only song from 1966 to be performed by The Beatles during their final US tour in August 1966. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Autograph hunters in a Mini Cooper chase John Lennon in his Rolls Royce, which is stopped in Bushy Park Road, Teddington, Middlesex, by the police. John is fined for speeding. The Mini is also stopped. The chasers get their autographs after the police finish with Lennon.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/May/may30.html

1966:  Brian flew from Madrid to New York to arrange the next American tour. 

1968:  Recording: Revolution 1
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/05/30/recording-revolution-1/

1969:   UK single release: The Ballad Of John And Yoko

The Beatles' second UK single of 1969, The Ballad Of John And Yoko, was released on this day. The b-side was George Harrison's Old Brown Shoe.
The Ballad Of John And Yoko was recorded by John Lennon and Paul McCartney at Abbey Road's studio three on 14 April 1969, without the other two Beatles being present. It was rush-released just six weeks after it was recorded, while Get Back was still at number one in the UK charts. The Ballad Of John And Yoko was released as Apple R 5786, and was The Beatles' first single in Britain and Europe to be released in stereo. The single entered the UK charts on 4 June 1969, and the following week reached the number one spot. It stayed there for three weeks, and spent a total of 14 weeks on the charts. BeatlesBible.com

1970: The “Let it Be” single was in Billboard’s Top 30 the 12th week.
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #481 on: June 06, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

May 31st

1962:  Live: Star-Club, Hamburg

This was the final night of The Beatles' first residency at Hamburg's Star-Club, the city's newest rock 'n' roll venue. The group spent a total of seven weeks performing at the German venue, notching up 172 hours of stage time over 48 nights. Their stint had begun on Friday 13 April. The Beatles left Hamburg on Saturday 2 June. It was their third residency in Hamburg within two years, but wouldn't be their last; they returned two more times to the Star-Club before the end of 1962. BeatleBible.com

1963:  Performance at the Odeon Cinema, Southend-on-Sea, Essex (Roy Orbison tour)

"I went to see the Beatles on 31st May 1963 at the Odeon Southend-on-Sea. It was the fist time I had been to a concert by myself. I paid 7/6 for a seat at the first proformance in the back stalls. Also on that show were Gerry and the Pacemakers and Roy Orbison. I didn't hear a thing..... it was so noisy. Afterwards I went down the side of the Odeon and saw John leaning out of the window waving. I was a bit late home and my parents were not too pleased with me.

Female, 57 South East England" Magical Memory Tour

1964:  Two performances at the Prince of Wales Theatre

A return visit to the scene of their Royal Variety Show triumph the previous 4 November. This concert was the fifth in a series of seven consecutive Pops Alive! Sunday-night pop concerts promoted by Brian Epstein. There were six support acts for each of the two “houses” this evening: Kenny Lynch, Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, the Vernon Girls, the Lorne Gibson Trio, the Chants and the Harlems.

The Beatles’ repertoire comprised “All My Loving”, “This Boy”, “Roll Over Beethoven”, “Till There was You”, “Twist and Shout” and “Long Tall Sally”.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 160

Prior to the concerts Ringo Starr took delivery of a brand new Ludwig drum kit worth £350, from London's Drum City shop. BeatlesBible.com

Description of the kit:
http://www.ringosbeatlekits.com/ludwig_kits_3__4

More:
http://www.beatlesuits.com/Beatlesuits_Saga7_2.htm

The DVD Beatles Around the World has a short bit from this day.
Don’t blink or you’ll miss it @0:49:

Beatles Around the World 1964 RARE!

1966:   Ringo Starr is photographed for The Beatles Book

During a short break in the sessions for Revolver, Ringo Starr took part in a photoshoot for The Beatles Book magazine. The session was conducted by Leslie Bryce, the staff photographer from the magazine. It took place at Sunny Heights, Starr's home in Weybridge. BeatlesBible.com

The December 1966 issue of The Beatles Book Monthly featured an exclusive interview with Ringo Starr. This article gives a rare glimpse of laid-back Ringo in his natural environment, relaxing in the comfort of his Surrey home. This brief conversation gives just a glimpse of home life behind the scenes. Jay Spangler, beatlesinterviews.org

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1966.12rs.beatles.html

1967:  Recording, mixing: It's All Too Much
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/05/31/recording-mixing-its-all-too-much/

1968:  Recording: Revolution 1

Studio Three, EMI Studios, Abbey Road
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Geoff Emerick

The second session for the White Album saw work continue on Revolution 1, which at this time was known simply as Revolution.  The session began at 2.30pm and ended at midnight. John Lennon double-tracked his lead vocals and Paul McCartney added a bass guitar part. A reduction mix was then made, known as take 19, which allowed for further overdubs to be made. Backing vocals by McCartney, his new girlfriend Francie Schwartz and George Harrison were then recorded, with the trio singing "shoo-be-doo-wop" during the chorus. BeatlesBible.com

1969: The “Yellow Submarine” album was in Billboard’s Top 100 for the 20th week. “Get Back” was number 1 on this chart for the 2nd week. This was the second week that the single was in the Top 30.

1977:  US single release: `Seaside Woman'. 
Suzy and the Red Stripes was a pseudonym used by the band Wings during the 1970s. The only release by Wings under that name was a single written and sung by Linda McCartney entitled "Seaside Woman", which was backed by "B-Side to Seaside."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzy_and_the_Red_Stripes
1980:
Seaside Woman - Suzy & The Red Stripes

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #482 on: June 10, 2012, 03:49:49 AM »

June 1st

1963: The “Please Please Me” LP was 1 for the 4th week on the UK Record Retailers chart.

1963:  Session at the BBC Paris Studio, London
Two performances at the Granada Cinema, Tooting, London

Another hectic day for the Beatles; eight hours inside a BBC radio studio followed by two separate “houses” at the Tooting Granada with the Roy Orbison package tour.

The BBC session was for both the second and third editions in their own series Pop Go the Beatles. Curiously, programme three was taped first, between 9.30 am and 1:30 pm; number two was then recorded between 1.30 and 5.30. (A rehearsal element was included in these timings.) The Beatles’ guests in programme three were Carter-Lewis and the Southerners and in programme two the Countrymen.

Before the series began, the Beatles let it be known that they would use the privileged BBC airtime to broadcast songs that had formed the backbone of their pre-fame live repertoire. An article in the New Musical Express of 24 May 1963 stated: “The Beatles will sing five or six numbers in each presentation (program). R&B material will be strongly featured.” It was an interesting decision, for although they did play a few Lennon-McCartney numbers, they certainly could have featured them much more. Instead, the Beatles opted for versatility, letting the British public hear the songs they could no longer perform in live concerts now restricted to 20-25 minutes and hit material.
It was because of this decision that people have been able to hear – and preserve – studio environment, often live in-one-take recordings of rare Beatles performances, a huge cache of remarkable material.

In programme three, broadcast in the Light Programme between 5.00 and 5.29 pm on Tuesday 18 June, the group sang “A Shot of Rhythm and Blues”, “Memphis, Tennessee”, A Taste of Honey”, “Sure to Fall (in Love With You)”, “Money (That’s What I Want)” and “From Me to You”.

In programme two, transmitted in the Light Programme between 5.00 and 5.29 pm on Tuesday, 11 June, the Beatles performed “Too Much Monkey Business”, “I Got to Find My Baby”, “Till There Was You” and “Love Me Do”.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 112

Second transmission:
The Beatles - Pop Go the Beatles (2nd Transmition; 11th June 1963) [HiQ]

Third transmission:
The Beatles - Pop Go the Beatles (3rd Transmition; 18th June 1963) [HiQ]

1963:  Two performances at the Granada Cinema, Tooting, London (Roy Orbison tour).

'Were you at Beatles Tooting gig?', asks author
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/whereilive/southlondon/wandsworthnews/4738291._Were_you_at_Beatles_gig____asks_author/?ref=rss

1964:  Recording: Matchbox, I'll Cry Instead, Slow Down, I'll Be Back
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/01/recording-matchbox-ill-cry-instead-slow-down-ill-be-back/

1964:  Brian announced plans for the Beatles 1964 Christmas Show, to be presented at the Odeon, Hammersmith. 

1966: “Rubber Soul” was in the Top 10 on the New Musical Express chart for the 26th week.

1966:  Recording: Yellow Submarine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/01/recording-yellow-submarine-2/

1966: While in New York, Brian criticized the imposition of a new mimic ban on television by the Musicians' Union. 

1967:  UK LP release: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Heralded upon its release as The Beatles' masterpiece, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was issued in the UK on this day. It was released as PMC 7027 (mono) and PCS 7027 (stereo). A 4" reel-to-reel tape was also issued in 1967, with the catalogue number TA-PMC 7027 (3¾ ips twin-track mono tape). Sgt Pepper entered the UK charts on 3 June 1967. The following week it was at number one, where it remained for 23 weeks. It returned to the top spot for another week on 25 November, for two weeks from 23 December, and for a final week on 3 February 1968. In all it spent 148 consecutive weeks in the charts. Sgt Pepper sold more than 250,000 copies in the UK in its first week of release, and by the end of June had sold over half a million. It remains in the top 10 best-selling albums of all time, both in the UK and worldwide. BeatlesBible.com

Released on 1st June, 1967, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the band’s eighth album became the soundtrack to the “summer of love” but its appeal is timeless.
http://www.thebeatles.com/#/albums/Sgt_Peppers_Lonely_Hearts_Club

When listening to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, you’ll notice the dreamy, whimsical, almost psychedelic quality of the album. This recording marked a turning point for the Beatles; it was the first time they were free of time constraints and able to fully focus on studio experimentation. Part of this was the exploration of pitch and time manipulation achieved by speeding up or slowing down tape machines. In “When I’m Sixty-Four”, Paul McCartney performed the song at a slower speed so that the normally timed vocals would be higher in pitch; closer to the childlike tone of the song. Sometimes pitch shifting was used to pull off seemingly impossible musical feats; during a particularly difficult piano pass, producer George Martin decided to play the part in half time and later return it to normal speed for the final mix. Perhaps most miraculously, pitch shifting made it possible to combine two seemingly disparate tracks into one. The classic track Strawberry Fields Forever was created by pitch shifting two takes, each in different keys and tempos, until they flowed together seamlessly.
http://aquirkyblog.com/tag/recording/

1967:  Recording: Untitled
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/06/01/recording-untitled-2/

1969:  John Lennon argues with Al Capp in Montreal
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/06/01/john-lennon-argues-al-capp-montreal/

Al Capp, was an American cartoonist and humorist best known for the satirical comic strip Li'l Abner.
Capp's increasingly controversial remarks at his campus speeches and during TV appearances cost him his semi-regular spot on the Tonight Show. His contentious public persona during this period was captured on a late sixties comedy LP called Al Capp On Campus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capp

1969:  John Lennon and Yoko Ono record “Give Peace a Chance”
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/06/01/john-lennon-and-yoko-ono-record-give-peace-a-chance/
John Lennon - Give Peace A Chance (Original Video Tape) [HiQ]

1969: George and Pattie Harrison holiday in Sardinia

The Beatles and their wives all took holidays in the early summer of 1969: Paul and Linda McCartney in Corfu; Ringo Starr and Maureen Starkey on a cruise aboard the QE2 then on to the Bahamas; John Lennon and Yoko Ono held their second bed-in in Montreal; and George and Pattie Harrison in Sardinia. The Harrisons were the last of the four couples to leave England. They flew on this day from London Airport to Sardinia, returning on 23 June 1969. BeatlesBible.com

1973:  Single release: `Live And Let Die', Paul McCartney and Wings
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #483 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »

June 2nd

1960:  The Institute, Neston, Wirral, Cheshire

The first of six consecutive Thursday-night engagements at this venue, situated on the west side of the Wirral, close to north Wales. Paramount Enterprises, alias promoter Les Dodd, had been running “strict tempo” evenings at this venue _ and also at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard, Wallesy – since 1936, but had, rather grudgingly, come to the conclusion that rock and roll/jive sessions were more lucrative. On this evening Dodd paid the Silver Beetles £10, out of which they gave £1 commission to Allan Williams.
The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, page 112

1962:  Travel: Hamburg to Liverpool

Following their 48-night residency at Hamburg's Star-Club, in which they notched up 172 hours of stage time over seven weeks, The Beatles began their journey back to Liverpool. In the afternoon they caught a Lufthansa flight to London Airport, from which they caught a connecting flight to Manchester Airport. They arrived at 7.25pm and were driven to their homes in Liverpool. BeatlesBible.com

1963: Performance at the Hippodrome, Brighton (Roy Orbison tour). 

1964:  Recording: Any Time at All, Things We Said Today, When I Get Home

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/02/recording-any-time-at-all-things-we-said-today-when-i-get-home/

1965:  “Ticket to Ride” was in the New Musical Express Top 30 for the 8th week.

1965:  John, George and Ringo attend the première of Richard Lester's The Knack (And How to Get It)
On this day John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were among the celebrities attended the première of director Richard Lester's film The Knack (And How To Get It) at the London Pavilion cinema. Having worked with him on both A Hard Day's Night and the forthcoming Help!, The Beatles were good friends with director Richard Lester. The film was made shortly before work began on Help!, The Beatles' second feature film. BeatlesBible.com

1966:  Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/02/recording-mixing-i-want-to-tell-you-yellow-submarine/

1967:  Recording, mixing: It's All Too Much
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1967/06/02/recording-mixing-its-all-too-much-2/

1967:  US LP release: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The day after it was released in the United Kingdom, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was issued in the United States of America. Sgt Pepper was issued as Capitol MAS 6253 (mono) and SMAS 2653 (stereo). It topped the Billboard chart for 15 weeks, and in 1968 won four Grammy Awards: Album of the Year; Best Album Cover, Graphic Arts; Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical; Contemporary Album. It was nominated for a further three: Group Vocal Performance; Contemporary Vocal Group; Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists (for A Day In The Life). Sgt Pepper was the first Beatles album to be released with identical track listings in both the UK and USA, as stipulated by the group. As it was arguably their first long-player to be a conceptual whole rather than a straightforward collection of songs, it was important to them that Capitol issued it in the form envisaged by the creators. US copies of Sgt Pepper, however, didn't include the high-pitched run-out whistle following A Day In The Life, nor the gibberish in the side two runout groove. BeatlesBible.com

2010:  Paul McCartney is honoured by President Obama at the White House
http://www.beatlesbible.com/2010/06/02/paul-mccartney-president-obama-white-house-gershwin-prize/
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #484 on: June 12, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »

June 3rd

1962:  Rehearsal: Cavern Club, Liverpool

The Beatles' first Abbey Road recording session was booked for 6 June 1962, and the group needed to prepare material.
Having failed the Decca audition they were taking no chances. On this and the following day they rehearsed at Liverpool's Cavern Club, making sure they were tight enough to convince EMI to give them a full recording contract. On this day they rehearsed at the Cavern from 3-6.30pm.
BeatlesBible.com

1963:  The BBC broadcasted The Beatles performance on “Steppin’ Out”, recorded May 21st.

Some of it:
The Beatles - Steppin' Out (3rd June 1963)

1963:  Performance at the Granada Cinema, Woolwich, London (Roy Orbison tour)

1964:  “With the Beatles” was in the New Musical Express Top 30 for the 28th week.

1964:   During a Beatles photo shoot with photographer John Launois, for the US magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Ringo Starr collapses, suffering from tonsillitis and pharyngitis, and he is hospitalized. Since The Beatles are scheduled to leave on a world tour the very next morning, it is too late to cancel their plans. Brian Epstein and George Martin arrange for a temporary drummer to take Ringo's place for the first part of the tour, and the drummer selected is Jimmy Nicol (someone who they knew to be talented, but who was unknown enough not to be mistaken as a permanent replacement for Ringo). On the spur of a last-minute phone call from George Martin, Nicol rushes over to EMI Studios, where he and The Beatles run through six songs from their tour repertoire in a quick rehearsal (I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, Can't Buy Me Love, and Long Tall Sally). Just 27 hours later, drummer Jimmy Nicol was performing live with The Beatles in Copenhagen, Denmark.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/June/june3.html

Poor Ringo does not look well:

The Story of Jimmy Nicol, Ex-Drummer of The Beatles
http://ikono.org/2011/05/the-story-of-jimmy-nicol-ex-drummer-of-the-beatles-2/

1964:  Recording: You Know What to Do, You're My World, No Reply, Any Time At All, Things We Said Today

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/06/03/recording-you-know-what-to-do-youre-my-world-no-reply-any-time-at-all-things-we-said-today/

1966:  Recording, mixing: I Want To Tell You, Yellow Submarine

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/03/recording-mixing-i-want-to-tell-you-yellow-submarine-2/

1967:  `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', number 1 in Britain. 

1969: John and Yoko in Ottawa, Canada

Throughout the "bed-in" in Montreal, the city's only rock and roll station was CFOX (1470 on the radio dial back then) had made arrangements to have DJ Chuck Chandler interview John and Yoko on a daily basis using a mobile broadcasting facility in the same room as the Lennons, not far from their bedside. Towards the end of the Montreal "bed-in" is when Allan Rock would appear with his proposal, a bold and brave move by the young 21-year-old Student President. I'm sure CFOX's Chuck Chandler must have been very intrigued by the idea floating around the hotel room of a possible meeting between Canada's Prime Minister Trudeau and the Lennons in Ottawa. And, as the C.B.C.'s television special "John & Yoko's Year of Peace" would reveal, Chuck Chandler tried to get a definite confirmation from Derek Taylor (Apple Record's "Press Officer") as to whether John and Yoko would end up actually meeting the Prime Minister. The film footage showed Derek's answer as being extremely aloof and very vague with no concrete answer for Chuck Chandler as to whether the meeting with Pierre Trudeau would occur or not.

And of course, in spite of the uncertainty, John and Yoko did decide to visit Ottawa on June 3, 1969, but, unfortunately, not with the Prime Minister in attendance. However, all was not lost for John and Yoko -- they did hold an interesting Seminar On World Peace with the students and media. During their visit and at John Lennon's request, Allan Rock drove the Lennons around in his beetle for a tour of the city. They eventually stopped right at the front doorsteps of 24 Sussex Drive -- the Prime Minister's residence -- whereupon John wrote and left a message for Pierre Trudeau since he wasn't home. That letter created the necessary window of opportunity to set up a future meeting with Prime Minister Trudeau that was held on December 23, 1969 during their third and final visit to Canada. John and Yoko met Prime Minister Trudeau for nearly fifty minutes. You can read the actual media coverage here at the Ottawa Beatles Web Site listed under "Historical Interest." (See the Ottawa Citizen's "PM -- 'a beautiful person' and for the Ottawa Journal's "Lennons Came for 5 Minutes; Stayed With PM an Hour" filed within the menu list as: "Lennons visit Ottawa.") http://beatles.ncf.ca/proofs.html

@3:36
John Lennon (3/6) - Year of peace

Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #485 on: June 12, 2012, 08:02:58 AM »

June 4th

1960:  Performance at the Corporation's Grosvernor Ballroom in Liscard. 

1962:  The Beatles signed their first contract with Parlophone.
http://emimusic.co.uk/history/page3.html

1963:  Performance at the Town Hall, Birmingham (Roy Orbison tour). 

1963:  The first in the “Pop Go the Beatles” series, recorded May 25th, was aired on BBC radio between 5:00 and 5:29 pm

1964:  Studio 2. 2.30-7.00pm. Mono mixing: `Long Tall Sally' (from take 1), `Matchbox' (from take 5) `I Call Your Name' (remixes 1, 2, from takes 5, 7). Editing: `I Call Your Name' (of mono remixes 1, 2). Recording: `Slow Down' (overdub onto take 6). Mono mixing: `Slow Down' (from take 6), `When I Get Home' (remix 1, from take 11), `Any Time At All' (remix 1, from take 11), I'll Cry Instead (Section A) (from take 6), `I'll Cry Instead' Section B from take 8. Editing: `I'll Cry Instead' of mono remixes from takes 6 and 8 Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Norman Smith; 2nd Engineer: Richard Langham. End of work on EP `Long Tall Sally'. 

1964:  The Beatles' world tour begins in Copenhagen, Denmark

For all the concerts they played between 1963 and 1966, The Beatles only undertook one world tour. It began on this day in Copenhagen, Denmark, and continued in the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand.
In the morning The Beatles were driven by their chauffeur, Bill Corbett, to London Airport where they were taken to their aeroplane ahead of the other passengers. There they signed autographs for the captain and crew. More than 6,000 fans awaited their arrival in Copenhagen, and Danish police had to quell crowds of around 10,000 who brought the city centre to a standstill. As they checked in to the Royal Hotel fans attempted to storm the doors. Ringo Starr remained in London, having been hospitalised with tonsillitis and pharyngitis the previous day. His temporary replacement, Jimmie Nicol, had to swiftly adjust to life in the whirlwind of Beatlemania for the next five dates of the tour. The group rehearsed their set in the afternoon, and Mal Evans taped the setlist to their guitars to help them remember the running order. They were also visited by the British ambassador to Denmark. The Beatles performed two shows as the KB Hallen venue, at 6pm and 9.30pm, with 4,400 fans seeing each. The set list for the first concert was: I Want To Hold Your Hand, I Saw Her Standing There, You Can't Do That, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy and Long Tall Sally. The order of the first two songs was switched for the second show of the night, and for all subsequent dates in the tour. At the end of the evening the stage announcer told the audience that The Beatles would not return to the stage, and a potted delphinium was thrown in protest. As the tour progressed, occasionally Twist And Shout replaced Long Tall Sally as the closer. At the Royal Hotel after the second show The Beatles were treated to a local delicacy, smorrebrodsseddel, a type of jam sandwich. Paul McCartney also sent Ringo a telegram which read: "Didn't think we could miss you so much. Get well soon." BeatlesBible.com

Pictures:
http://beatlesdaybyday.freeforums.org/04-june-1964-t7562.html

1965:  UK EP release: `Beatles For Sale (No 2)'

1967:  McCartney and Harrison watch Jimi Hendrix in London

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr had first seen The Jimi Hendrix Experience performing on 11 January 1967 at the Bag O'Nails club in London. On this day McCartney, George Harrison, Jane Asher and Pattie Boyd watched them headline a bill at the city's Saville Theatre. The bill also included Denny Laine & His Electric String Band, The Chiffons and Procol Harum. Hendrix opened his set with a version of the title track from The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album, which had been released just three days before.
“It would be one of his first gigs in London. Jimi was a sweetie, a very nice guy. I remember him opening at the Saville on a Sunday night, 4 June 1967. Brian Epstein used to rent it when it was usually dark on the Sunday. Jimi opened, the curtains flew back and he came walking forward, playing 'Sgt. Pepper', and it had only been released on the Thursday so that was like the ultimate compliment. It's still obviously a shining memory for me, because I admired him so much anyway, he was so accomplished. To think that that album had meant so much to him as to actually do it by the Sunday night, three days after the release. He must have been so into it, because normally it might take a day for rehearsal and then you might wonder whether you'd put it in, but he just opened with it. It's a pretty major compliment in anyone's book. I put that down as one of the great honours of my career. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't have thought of it as an honour, I'm sure he thought it was the other way round, but to me that was like a great boost.”
Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

1968:  Recording, mixing: Revolution 1
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/06/04/recording-mixing-revolution-1/

1969:  US single release: `The Ballad Of John And Yoko'/`Old Brown Shoe'.

1976:  UK LP release: `The Beatles Featuring Tony Sheridan'. 
Kelley

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #486 on: June 12, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

June 3rd

1964:   During a Beatles photo shoot with photographer John Launois, for the US magazine, Saturday Evening Post, Ringo Starr collapses, suffering from tonsillitis and pharyngitis, and he is hospitalized. Since The Beatles are scheduled to leave on a world tour the very next morning, it is too late to cancel their plans. Brian Epstein and George Martin arrange for a temporary drummer to take Ringo's place for the first part of the tour, and the drummer selected is Jimmy Nicol (someone who they knew to be talented, but who was unknown enough not to be mistaken as a permanent replacement for Ringo). On the spur of a last-minute phone call from George Martin, Nicol rushes over to EMI Studios, where he and The Beatles run through six songs from their tour repertoire in a quick rehearsal (I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, Can't Buy Me Love, and Long Tall Sally). Just 27 hours later, drummer Jimmy Nicol was performing live with The Beatles in Copenhagen, Denmark.
http://history2.absoluteelsewhere.net/June/june3.html

Poor Ringo does not look well:

The cover...

I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #487 on: June 20, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »

Another one from June 3, 1964:

I will be back to wrap this thread up as soon as I can. I hope it will still get some views.
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #488 on: June 20, 2012, 08:03:09 AM »

I will be back to wrap this thread up as soon as I can. I hope it will still get some views.

I check it out almost every day!

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #489 on: June 25, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »

The Beatles- All You Need is Love

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #491 on: July 11, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »

Where's Kelley?

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #492 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:23 AM »

June 5th

1963: Performance at the Odeon Cinema, The Headrow, Leeds, Yorkshire.
This, the 18th date of The Beatles' UK tour with Roy Orbison, was the group's first appearance at Leeds' Odeon Cinema. They returned to the venue on two subsequent occasions: 3 November 1963 and 22 October 1964. On this occasion The Beatles performed a seven-song set: Some Other Guy, Do You Want To Know A Secret, Love Me Do, From Me To You, Please Please Me, I Saw Her Standing There and Twist And Shout. beatlesbible.com

1964: Performance at Treslong, Hillegom, Netherlands
Following the previous day's concerts in Copenhagen, Denmark, The Beatles flew to Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, Netherlands, arriving at 1pm. At the airport they were given flowers and traditional Dutch hats. They gave a press conference before departing for the town of Hillegom near Haarlem, 26 miles outside Amsterdam, where they were booked to record a television appearance.

A group of Dutch non-fans at the Beatles arrival at Schiphol Airport, 5 June 1964. Photo by Hugo Van Gelderen. “Weg met de Beatles” literally means “Away with the Beatles”…. http://thegilly.tumblr.com/page/183:

They arrived at Hillegom's Café-Restaurant Treslong, situated at Vosselaan 15, at around 4pm. From 5.30pm they rehearsed for their appearance on VARA-TV, and recording began at 8pm. In the first part of the programme they answered questions from the 150-strong audience. The Beatles were seated in the bar with Berend Boudewijn, who translated their answers and relayed them to Herman Stok, who was seated with the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YtinKgUvI4

More: http://childofnaturebeatles.blogspot.com/2011/06/holland-june-1964.html

For the second part they mimed to the studio versions of Twist And Shout, All My Loving, Roll Over Beethoven, Long Tall Sally, She Loves You and Can't Buy Me Love. As their microphones were left on, the group occasionally sang along to the songs.

During Long Tall Sally, members of the audience, mostly male, got onto the stage to dance with the group. Their numbers increased during She Loves You, and by Can't Buy Me Love the group was surrounded by members of the public. Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall and Derek Taylor tried in vain to clear the stage, but eventually The Beatles were forced to leave instead. As the group had been miming, the music carried on playing without them. Only Jimmie Nicol - Ringo Starr's temporary stand-in due to illness - remained on stage, resolutely continuing without the others. The performance was combined with footage from The Beatles' visit to Amsterdam the following day, and screened as The Beatles in Nederland on the Nederland 1 channel on Monday 8 June 1964 at 8.30pm. beatlesbible.com

Danish jazz musician Ib Glindemann:

The Beatles stayed at the Doelen Hotel, where this interview was conducted:

! Private video

1968: Recording at Studio Three, EMI Studios, London
“An especially noteworthy day, for it marked the start of the recording of Ringo’s debut solo composition ‘Don’t Pass Me By’. Strangely, it began the 2.30 pm-1.30 am session as ‘Ringo’s Tune ‘Untitled’ and then became, equally temporarily, ‘This is Some Friendly’. Strange because, as early as 1963, it was reported in the press and revealed in a BBC radio interview that Ringo was halfway through the writing of his own song and even then he was calling it ‘Don’t Pass Me By’.”  The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, pp 284 and 285

From “The Beatles at the BEEB”:
! Private video

Beatles Rarity Of The Week – Don’t Pass Me By (longer mono mix):
http://www.thebeatlesrarity.com/2011/05/23/beatles-rarity-of-the-week-dont-pass-me-by-longer-rm4-mix/

Interview with Kenny Everett: The Beatles enjoyed and preferred pirate radio stations as an alternative to BBC radio. Stations such as Radio London and Radio Luxembourg often got exclusive Beatle interviews because of this. Among their favorite disc jockeys was Kenny Everett of Radio London. Everett chatted and joked informally with John and the other Beatles in this interview which was taped at EMI's Abbey Road studios in London, during the early stages of the White Album sessions.  - Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org
http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1968.0605.beatles.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:31:01 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »

I believe there will be some celebrations in Blokker, the Netherlands next year, as it will be 50 years since The Beatles performed there twice. Looking forward to it, as I live only 10 kms away from the spot.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #494 on: June 06, 2013, 03:43:12 AM »

I believe there will be some celebrations in Blokker, the Netherlands next year, as it will be 50 years since The Beatles performed there twice. Looking forward to it, as I live only 10 kms away from the spot.

Send pictures! I really like the monument they have there.
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #495 on: June 06, 2013, 04:31:13 AM »

June 6th

1960: Performance at the Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey
To celebrate the Whitsun ‘bank holiday’, Les Dodd presented a special Monday jive and rock session, booking the two groups who would eventually become Liverpool’s most successful, the Silver Beetles and Gerry and the Pacemakers. This was the first of many occasions they appeared together on the bill. The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn, p. 27

Les Dodd, who ran the ballroom, had resisted anything but ballroom dancing since 1936 but he reluctantly agreed to this “Big Beat” dance with the bands he advertised as “jive and rock” specialists. info from “Shout” by Philip Norman

Grosvenor Ballroom in 2000

1961: Live- Top Ten Club, Hamburg
This was the 67th night of The Beatles' lengthiest residency in Hamburg, during which they played a total of 92 nights at the Top Ten Club. The club was owned by Peter Eckhorn, who paid each of The Beatles 35DM (£3) per day. They were required to play from 7pm until 2am each weekday, and until 3am on weekends, with a 15-minute break in each hour. The performances at the Top Ten were so successful that Eckhorn twice extended The Beatles' contract. They eventually left Germany following their final show at the club on 1 July 1961, having performed on stage for 503 hours during their stay. beatlesbible.com

1962: Recording-First Abbey Road session
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1962/06/06/the-beatles-first-abbey-road-recording-session/

Love Me Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqPNvxuTdNY

Bésame Mucho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4FxrWWMJo (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964: Live-Blokker, the Netherlands
Prior to performing two concerts in the village of Blokker in the Netherlands - their only two shows on Dutch soil - The Beatles and Jimmie Nicol toured the canals of Amsterdam in a glass-topped tourist boat. 50,000 people turned out to see them in Amsterdam, and police leave was cancelled so all 15,000 officers were on duty. Some fans dived into the canals to try and reach the group, but were quickly dealt with by police. While on their canal tour The Beatles saw some local students wearing capes, which later inspired their look for the Help! album cover and film.

"We were boating along the canals, waving and being fab and we saw a bloke standing in the crowd with a groovy-looking cloak on. We sent Mal to find out where he got it from. Mal jumped off or swam off the boat and about three hours later turned up at our hotel with the cloak, which he'd bought from the guy. When we flew from there to Hong Kong we all had copies made, but they were in cheap material which melted in the rain storm at Sydney Airport." George Harrison, Anthology

http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-sightseeing-in-amsterdam-june-6-1964/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxifNJChWZ0 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Following their Amsterdam jaunt, The Beatles performed two shows in Veilinghal Op Hoop Van Zegen, an auction hall situated on Veilingweg in Blokker, a village 40km north of Amsterdam. The first show was a matinee for 2,000 fans beginning at 2.30pm, after which they gave an evening performance to a sell-out crowd of 7,000. In between the two shows The Beatles had been expected to attend a civic reception held in their honour at a local restaurant, followed by a visit to a traditional Dutch village. Unaware of the plans, they slept in their dressing room and inadvertently insulted the people of Blokker. The Beatles took to the stage following eight support acts. They played for around 25 minutes, and their stage times were 4.30pm and 10.05pm. The second show was filmed with television and newsreel cameras.

More: http://pinterest.com/kelmar63/beatles-in-the-netherlands-blokker-june-6-1964/

Afternoon Show

Introduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-Nyvbzm3k

I Saw Her Standing There
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVHYI-jAv6w

She Loves You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRj1PCCCQSA

Twist and Shout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHJlnUxvlFY

I Want to Hold Your Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sofqEyrV4z8&list=PLr4Tgy0WHNgmY9nxOm5w7MloPPP4559pt

Long Tall Sally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwsiZrjDrEw

Evening Show:

I Saw Her Standing There/Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5F7KbvLjc&list=PLr4Tgy0WHNgmaU-ryiTOnZxx0uC3O6sA_&index=1

All My Loving
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03F_MyJ-EyU

I Want to Hold Your Hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdO9e_PEPmw

Long Tall Sally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwsiZrjDrEw

Before their performances on June 6th, the group climbed aboard the Royal Yacht, taking a boating tour of Amsterdam's canals. The shores and bridges were swarming with Beatlemaniacs -- the more out of control fans jumping into the channel and swimming toward the boat that carried the Beatles. John and Paul attempted to physically protect a few of the fans from the Amsterdam police, who were brandishing hard rubber police clubs. As the craft passed under bridges, the Beatles were showered with gifts from the fans above. Due to the crowds and general chaos, the Beatles arrived late for the first of their two shows in Blokker at Veilinghal. Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews.org

British Pathe: The Beatles Take Over Holland
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/beatles-take-over-holland/query/beatles+netherlands

1966: Recording, mixing: And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, I'm Only Sleeping, Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/06/06/recording-mixing-and-your-bird-can-sing-for-no-one-im-only-sleeping-tomorrow-never-knows-eleanor-rigby/

1968: Recording, Mixing “Don’t Pass Me By”
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/06/06/recording-mixing-dont-pass-me-by/

Radio: The Kenny Everetts Show
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/06/06/radio-the-kenny-everett-show-2/

BBC interview with John Lennon and Victor Spinetti
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/06/06/bbc-interview-with-john-lennon-and-victor-spinetti/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:32:54 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27:10 AM »

I'm trying to get caught up but in the meantime I added more to June 5th, 1964, including an interview at the Doelen Hotel in Amsterdam.
Kelley

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »

June 10 
1963 US single release: 'Do You Want To Know A Secret'/'I'll Be On My Way', 1st record of Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas.

http://youtu.be/lDCkdaSs_vg (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

1964 'With The Beatles', 29th week in the Top 30 (UK New Musical Express chart).

Studio 2 (control room only). 10.00-11.00am. Mono mixing: 'I'll Be Back' (remix 1, from take 16). Producer: George Martin; Engineer; Norman Smith; 2nd Engineer: Ken Scott.

Brian Epstein Publications Limited is incorporated.

Two performances at the Princess Treatre, Hong Kong. Jimmy Nicol on drums.

1966 UK single release: 'Paperback Writer'/'Rain'.
1967 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' number 1 (UK Record Retailer chart).
1968 Studio 3. 2.30-5.45pm. Recording: 'Revolution 9' (sound effects takes 1-3). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Phil McDonald.
1976 UK LP release: 'Rock'n'Roll Music'.

watzontv1

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #498 on: October 11, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

Hey! I found a new TV network where you can watch The Beatles 24 hours a day for free:
http://www.watzon.tv/The-Beatles
Mixes up videos from lots of different sources and you can also mix this channel with other great channels - all free!
Tune in now to WatzOn.TV

oldbrownshoe

• A Beginning
« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

Anyone else notice that this time next week (Thursday 20th) is the 50th anniversary of arguably the most anticipated record in the Beatles' catalogue ('Can't Buy Me Love'). I believe in the U.S. it's actually 50 on Sunday!

I rather wish that Apple had elected to mark each 45 with a 50th anniversary pressing. maybe with a new picture sleeve, and more information on the back.

Still, given the dire job they did of 'Love Me Do', maybe it's a good job they didn't.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Page created in 5.814 seconds with 27 queries.