A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Today in Beatles History  (Read 139750 times)

rspieckerman and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Today in Beatles History
« Reply #500 on: June 12, 2014, 06:30:37 AM »

June 11th

1960: Live: Grosvenor Ballroom, Wallasey

This was The Silver Beetles’* third concert at the Grosvenor Ballroom within a week, and one that didn’t pass without incident. More:Beatles Bible

That would be the Ronnie Incident.

*They may have been The Beatles by then. This blog post asserts that they were, in print:

“Fellow Beatles fan Robin Bird said: Historians have said the Silver Beetles changed their name to the Beatles when they left for Hamburg on August 16, 1960 starting a new chapter in their amazing musical career. However, from the old cuttings it is apparent the band changed their name before that date when they played at the Grosvenor Ballroom.” Wog Blog

In his book Tune In, Mark Lewisohn claims it was officially changed even before this date: “It was in this time frame (May 18-19 1960, just before the Johnny Gentle tour), that the name evolved once more, when the Silver was dropped and they became the Beatles unadorned. While Stu (Sutcliffe) held out for the Beatals just a little longer, and Allan Williams continued to call them the Silver Beetles (and advertise them this way) well into the summer they were, clean and clear, the Beatles. page 307

So what about these cuttings? I would like to see these things but I can’t seem to find them on the Internet, just mention of them, like in the article that prompted the blog post: Beatles named and dated

At any rate, Allan Williams seems to have been well known for not getting the name right. Who can blame him though, when it changed so many times?

1961: Performance at the Top Ten Club, 136 Reeperbahn, Hamburg, Germany

1962: Radio: Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go

The Beatles’ second radio appearance took place on this day, on the BBC show Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go. The recording took place at the Playhouse Theatre in Manchester. The Beatles took part in rehearsals from 4pm, and the show was taped from 8.45-9.30pm. This edition of Teenager’s Turn – Here We Go was broadcast on the BBC Light Programme on Friday 15 June from 5-5.30pm. The Beatles performed three songs before a studio audience: Ask Me Why, Besame Mucho and A Picture Of You. Ask Me Why was therefore the first Lennon-McCartney song to be broadcast. Beatles Bible

1964: The Beatles arrive in Australia

The Beatles flew from Hong Kong to Sydney, stopping en route in Darwin to allow their aeroplane to refuel. Although it was an unscheduled stop, 400 fans were waiting as they landed in Darwin at 2.35am. Although they were unable to leave their hotel, in the evening The Beatles gave a series of interviews, press conferences and photography sessions, and met a number of concert promoters and local dignitaries. Also on this day, Ringo Starr was discharged from University College Hospital, London, allowing him to fly to Australia to rejoin the group.
More here:Beatles Bible

The rainy arrival at 0:00-0:43:

Dick Lean, managing director of Stadiums Limited, would later remember about the Sydney press conference: "They were just brilliant, under any circumstance. They handled the press with a sharp reparte that we'd just never seen before." The Beatles had once again charmed the all-important press. An editorial in Sydney's Sun newspaper proclaimed: "Their press conference showed that teenagers are not necessarily fools when it comes to picking winners. One cannot 'ready' a press conference. Questions are asked and answered off the cuff very quickly... they showed considerable insight into the secret of their own success."
Jay Spangler, www.beatlesinterviews

Press conference transcript here

Video:
Part 1

Part 2 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Meet the Truck that Drove the Beatles (Includes lots of pictures and some audio of interviews)

How The Beatles came on tour to Australia nearly 50 years ago

Peter Cox was seven on June 11 of 1964, and remembers watching TV footage of the Beatles arriving in Sydney, in the pouring rain. “In those days there was no breakfast television, but Channels 7 and 9 had cameras at the airport; it was a television event,” he smiles.
More here

1965: The Beatles to be awarded MBEs

Brian Epstein requested that Paul McCartney and Jane Asher return from their Portuguese holiday a day early, so all The Beatles could be in Britain on the day it was announced that they would be awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire.
More:Beatles Bible

1968: Recording, mixing: Blackbird, Revolution 9

George Harrison and Ringo Starr were both in America on this day, but John Lennon and Paul McCartney made the most of the studio block-booking throughout June to continue work on the White Album.

A film crew from Apple, directed by Tony Bramwell, was present during the session, ostensibly to make a 10-minute promotional short for the company. Recorded onto 16mm film, the footage captured McCartney working on Blackbird and Helter Skelter on an acoustic guitar, as well as various other scenes from inside the studio, in the Apple Boutique, Apple Tailoring, McCartney’s garden and other locations. Other people featured in the promo, which was simply titled Apple, included Lennon, Mary Hopkin, James Taylor, Dick James, Alexis Mardas and NEMS’s Alistair Taylor.

Fortunately, the sound recordist also made a 41-minute tape of McCartney rehearsing Blackbird, from which we can see the song take shape.
McCartney continues recording, and eventually manages a full take. His fourth attempt from this time was released on 1996′s Anthology 3. Thirty-two takes of Blackbird were recorded during this session, just 11 of which were complete.
More:Beatles Bible

Paul McCartney and Mary Hopkin are filmed for Apple Records

At EMI Studios on this day, Paul McCartney was filmed with Apple Records’ new signing Mary Hopkin, as part of a promotional film for the label. More: Beatles Bible

Tony Bramwell, in his book Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles discussed the film. He said, among other things, “John Lennon insisted on including footage of Magic Alex in his habitual white coat, fiddling with a pile of junk.”

That brief passage certainly says a lot about his opinion of the “electronics expert” and his relationship with the Beatles.

The film: Apple (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

George and Ringo were still in California:

Meanwhile, back in California, ….George and Ravi Shankar returned to the previous Big Sur location and were filmed participating in a teach-in and chatting as they walked together along the cliff-top. 1

2009: Yoko Ono honoured by Mojo magazine
http://www.beatlesbible.com/2009/06/11/yoko-ono-honoured-by-mojo-magazine/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:08:51 AM by In My Life »
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »

^^^
That's the last new post. I am, however, going back to the beginning and redoing posts for a while. The early ones are a bit sparse. LOL The index will have links to the new entries.

June Index
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #502 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:53 AM »

Sorry I've fallen so far behind on what I said I was going to do. I will get back to it but in the meantime I want to share this episode of Top Gear which was recorded on July 14, 1964 and premiered 50 years ago today. It was the first episode of the program and one of only two featuring The Beatles. I think it's one of the most gear BBC Beatles appearances ever, especially the trailers at the beginning.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1964/07/14/radio-top-gear/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_%28radio_show%29

Kelley

nimrod

« Reply #503 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:17 PM »

Sterling Work Kelley    !!!   :)

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #504 on: July 17, 2014, 02:41:01 AM »

Well thank you Moderator Nimrod!
Kelley

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »

Happy Shea #1 Day!

The Beatles Live At Shea Stadium

I've gotta do August; it was a very important month!
Kelley

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2015, 03:04:05 PM »

Want to feel old, I mean 'really old'?

March 20th will mark the 20th Anniversary of the 'Baby It's You' single!

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #507 on: March 12, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

March 13 1965 The Beatles arrive in Obertauern Austria to shoot more scenes for Eight Arms to Hold You.

People open show that they are not welcome. ;sorry
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:48:29 PM by Badgirl66 »

NotTheWalrus

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #508 on: March 12, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »

Why did people want them to go home?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #509 on: March 12, 2015, 08:05:17 PM »

They were more popular that Goethe.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #510 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »

They weren't really unwelcome by most; it was just some people who were basically protesting the mass hysteria that The Beatles generated. Jealous I guess.  :)
Kelley

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #511 on: March 13, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »

Probably something John said.
I can stay till it's time to go

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #512 on: March 14, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »

Kelley

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #513 on: April 08, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »

Tomorrow, 9th April (in 1965 a Friday) 'TICKET TO RIDE'/'YES IT IS' is 50 years old.

Now I have no desire to get everything released under The Beatles' name, but if Apple had celebrated these important (50 is important, isn't it?) anniversaries, I'd have been on board. Just as I was in the 1980s.

CD single, original 60s Parlophone cover, sleeve notes by Mark Lewisohn (and Paul?), a couple of unreleased BBC recordings as a bonus. £3.99 at HMV. Triffic! 

The Record Industry really is a strange beast, fantastically greedy for the most part, and yet I could draw up a list of about a hundred releases that I would like to see come out, and for which the bank notes in my back pocket were printed for!

I guess I'll just have to spend them on a bottle of wine instead.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #514 on: April 08, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »

Tomorrow, 9th April (in 1965 a Friday) 'TICKET TO RIDE'/'YES IT IS' is 50 years old.

Now I have no desire to get everything released under The Beatles' name, but if Apple had celebrated these important (50 is important, isn't it?) anniversaries, I'd have been on board. Just as I was in the 1980s.

CD single, original 60s Parlophone cover, sleeve notes by Mark Lewisohn (and Paul?), a couple of unreleased BBC recordings as a bonus. £3.99 at HMV. Triffic! 

The Record Industry really is a strange beast, fantastically greedy for the most part, and yet I could draw up a list of about a hundred releases that I would like to see come out, and for which the bank notes in my back pocket were printed for!

I guess I'll just have to spend them on a bottle of wine instead.

In 2011, The Beatles released this box of 4 singles for Record Store Day.  No extras or annotation though except for a poster and 45 adapter.

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #515 on: April 08, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #516 on: April 08, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »

That's fine but I can't say I'm a massive fan of RSD.

My idea (which is largely irrelevant because they're not doing any!!!) was that the 50th Anniversary releases would have been  'inclusive' rather than exclusive, not limited to a small-run vinyl release followed by a spending spree on eBay which is normally what happens after RSD.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #517 on: April 09, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »

That's fine but I can't say I'm a massive fan of RSD.

My idea (which is largely irrelevant because they're not doing any!!!) was that the 50th Anniversary releases would have been  'inclusive' rather than exclusive, not limited to a small-run vinyl release followed by a spending spree on eBay which is normally what happens after RSD.

I'm not a big fan or RSD either.  I've never gone to one (the closest store is 2 hours from where I live) and I've read unflattering reports about the experience.  This year there are items on eBay right now before the event at inflated prices!

I wouldn't mind a limited RSD release and then a general release to the masses down the road.  That might keep the eBay flippers in line.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #518 on: April 09, 2015, 05:48:18 AM »

Already on eBay? No way.
The entry I put in my diary when I found out the day for it this year is 'Avoid Record Store Day'.
I suspect some printers may start automatically putting that in along with the Saints' Days!

Anyway, Happy Birthday 'Ticket To Ride'/'Yes It Is'.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #519 on: April 09, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »

This first pressing was issued with three different types of labels.

Type 1 labels have “NORTHERN SONGS, NCB” in three lines with NCB moved to left and “(p) 1965″ above the matrix numbers:

Type 2 labels have “NORTHERN SONGS, NCB” in three lines and “(p) 1965″ below the matrix number:

Type 3 labels have the text on the left in a large bold font and small “Sold In U.K.“ print:

from The Beatles Collection

And they sounded like this:

Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Page created in 2.41 seconds with 27 queries.