July 11, 2011
Two of Us: Top 10 Legendary Rock Couples
Oftentimes it seems rock and roll couples fall into one of two categories. On the one hand, there’s the tempestuous relationship that produces music reflective of that turbulence. On the other, there’s the subdued partnership that yields batches of sublime music and love songs, while offering up little fodder for the press. Both sides of that spectrum are represented among the 10 couples below. Please tell us who we missed, but keep in mind that we’ve limited our choices to couples in which both partners make music. Hence, no Sid and Nancy, and no Ozzy and Sharon.
1. JOHN LENNON/ YOKO ONO
John Lennon’s solo career, and perhaps new wave music as well, would have charted a far different course were it not for Yoko Ono’s profound influence. From the searing introspection of Plastic Ono Band to the romantic fare on Double Fantasy, Lennon’s work reflected Ono’s muse-like sway. Furthermore, as a musician in her own right, Ono is revered to this day by legions of rockers who possess an avant-garde slant.
10. Lindsey Buckingham / Stevie Nicks
9. Thurston Moore / Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
8. Win Butler / Regine Chassagne (Arcade Fire)
7. Debbie Harry / Chris Stein (Blondie)
6. Jack White / Meg White
5. Ray Davies / Chrissie Hynde
4. Ike Turner / Tina Turner
3. Paul McCartney / Linda McCartney
2. Kurt Cobain / Courtney Love
1. JOHN LENNON/ YOKO ONOhttp://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/two-of-us-0711-2011/