A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Author Topic: Paul's Grosvenor Ballroom/ElPico Amp Story  (Read 340 times)

Casbah

• A Beginning
Paul's Grosvenor Ballroom/ElPico Amp Story
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:05:31 AM »

We all know the story that Paul told in "Anthology"

"The Grosvenor Ballroom in Wallasey was one of the worst places; there would be a hundred Wallasey lads squaring up to a hundred lads from Seacombe and all hell would break loose. I remember one night a rumble had started before I realised what was happening. I ran to the stage to save my Elpico amp, my pride and joy at the time. There were fists flying everywhere. One Ted grabbed me and said, 'Don't move, or you're bloody dead!' I was scared for my life, but I had to get that amp."

However, I was watching a behind the scenes video of "Broad St" and they were filming the Ballroom Dancing scene. McCartney is telling a story about the early Beatles how  there were always fights when they played and apparently a Ted grabbed the amp from Paul and said "One move and you're dead!" and McCartney replied, "Ok, you can have it!"

What? A discrepancy in a McCartney story?? :P ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=29&v=b6MKei3GR1c

At 17:58 it starts...
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
Re: Paul's Grosvenor Ballroom/ElPico Amp Story
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »

Nice story. I can imagine the memories start blurring after a while.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:15:57 AM »

You know, I was going to offer a counterpoint to your statement, something along the lines of "I definitely would remember an encounter where my amp was taken from me (or not...)" but I gave it some thought and of course The Beatles have experienced more in a lifetime than I would in 10 so I am inclined to agree with you, it's probably a distant memory compared to all the other events that have gone on in his life.

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Bobber

• Administrator
  • Sun King
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »

You know, I was going to offer a counterpoint to your statement, something along the lines of "I definitely would remember an encounter where my amp was taken from me (or not...)" but I gave it some thought and of course The Beatles have experienced more in a lifetime than I would in 10 so I am inclined to agree with you, it's probably a distant memory compared to all the other events that have gone on in his life.

And then again, haven't you ever noticed that your memory plays tricks with you?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »

Almost full.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 27 queries.