A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing  (Read 949 times)

Moogmodule

• Getting Better
Re: Song Of The Week - What You're Doing
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

But if you take A Hard Days Night as an aberration - a special project brought about by the movie - then Beatles For Sale is in the same tried and true format of the previous albums. At the time of With The Beatles they had songs coming out of their ears - they were giving the things away - but still released an album half full of covers.
So it may well be that they were just returning to their normal format and were not driven by a lack of originals. It's just how they made "normal" Beatle albums in those days.

That's a good point.  And even in the next album they finished with Dizzy Miss Lizzy. Which was like they were going back to the screaming Lennon cover finish from PPM and WTB.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:07 PM »

I like your last point MM - most of side 2 of Help seems more 'outdated' than the covers on BFS.

I mean...Dizzy Miss Lizzy? You gotta be kidding me. Is the reason it's the final song is because they knew people would turn it off after Yesterday?  Lol

My take on this is that they very much enjoyed covering songs that they admired, they had spent years playing tons of covers ans obviously had fun playing/singing them, maybe an album of all originals in the early days seemed a tad boring to them.

I think they handpicked certain favourites and wanted to record them.

In its day Dizzy Miss Lizzy was superb, we all loved it at college, it didnt matter it wasnt theirs.

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »

In its day Dizzy Miss Lizzy was superb, we all loved it at college, it didnt matter it wasnt theirs.

Lots of John screams in that one. I love those! Oww!
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.67 seconds with 27 queries.