Beatles forums > peregrine9's news

Sean Lennon music news updates and articles

(1/21) > >>

peregrine9:
Variety
November 15, 2011
Rock royalty acts as one-man band
Music for Screens: Fall 2011

When it came time for writer/director Jordan Galland to give his friend and musical colleague Sean Lennon instruction on scoring his indie film, "Alter Egos," Galland recalls requesting "something that feels like 'Twin Peaks' at times and that feels like it's harnessing the power of 'The Dark Knight' at times."By then, Lennon adds with a laugh, Galland was already editing the comedy about superheroes who have fallen out of favor with the public, and "he'd just discarded 15 other cues that I'd worked on. And we only had four days to finish the score."Lennon wholeheartedly embraced the challenge, even taking up the gauntlet to write a new tune, complete with lyrics, after Galland told him he planned to license an old song. "Sean was like, 'C'mon man, we can totally write a song that sounds like it's from the '50s'," Galland says of their one co-write on the project.

That tune, "My Hero," joins 21 other cues composed by Lennon that span a wide array of musical styles from retro to noir to psychedelic to sweeping, tension-filled action. "It was a marathon," Lennon says, who also played all the instruments on the tracks. Aside from the time crunch, the greatst difficulty was "making something that sounded like a big-budget superhero film with only my computer,"he adds.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118045891?refCatId=16

peregrine9:
Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl, band " The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger " photographs taken for Playing Fashion magazine
11/23/2011

Recently PLAYING FASHION magazine asked me to shoot several gig pictures for them. I don't really do event photography that often, yet when I learned who the gig was by, I didn't have slightest doubts! John Lennon and Yoko Ono son -- eccentric, amazing Sean Lennon.

http://jascanka.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-just-shot-sean-lennon.html

peregrine9:
Here is also some short video's and photographs on what Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl and the Plastic Ono Band have been working on.With Wayne Coyne of the Flaming lips.

‪Plastic Ono Band Collaborating On Flaming Lips' Christmas EP ?‬

Plastic Ono Band Collaborating On Flaming Lips' Christmas EP?

http://psychexfutureheart.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/war-is-over/

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/waynecoyne/view/11371627

peregrine9:
Tulsa World
December 3, 2011
Flaming Lips promise epic New Year's Eve Freakout shows in OKC

Just wanted to add that The Flaming Lips and Plastic Ono Band will perform side-by-side sets. This is an idea the Lips first tried out this summer with Weezer. I was at both of those shows and it made for a very interesting concert flow. I imagine it will work great at the freakout, as the Plastic Ono Band's music will contextualize the Flaming Lips and vice versa... Also, The Flaming Lips will perform classic John Lennon covers with Sean Lennon and other members of The Plastic Ono Band at the Freak out, and at midnight they will sing "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" with Yoko (more at - [psychexfutureheart (d0t) wordpress (d0t) c0m (backslash) freakout5tickets])Speaking of which, besides "The Fear Litany," for the past few days the Plastic Ono Band have also recording "Brain of Heaven" and a re-recording of "Atlas Eets Christmas" with The Flaming Lips. These are presumably for the Lips' December release and one of which is possibly a holiday sequel to the Plastic Ono Band's 1971 classic "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" (details at [psychexfutureheart (d0t) wordpress (d0t) c0m 2011/11/24/ war- is- over]) Watch a sneak peak at [youtube (d0t) com (backslash) watch?v=feWDY__3VUA]Atlas Eets Christmas was originally released in 2007 on The Flaming Lips secret Christmas album. They've been streaming that entire album in a mix with all of their Christmas recordings non-stop since last weekend at a new website they made specifically for that purpose. More info at [psychexfutureheart (d0t) wordpress (d0t) c0m (backslash) 2011/11/28/ imagene-peise]There's new updates to these everyday - follow at facebook/TheFutureHeart and twitter/FutureHeartDay

http://www.tulsaworld.com/profile/tabs/comments.aspx?id=235316

peregrine9:
Sean Lennon performs at annual Christmas concert with Rufus and Martha Wainwright and family

The New York Times
December 16, 2011
In the Tradition of a Matriarch, This Family Keeps Crooning and Caroling

“A Not So Silent Night,” the concert at Town Hall on Thursday, was a typical Christmastime family gathering: motley, convivial, multigenerational, jokey, affectionate, conscious of passing years and tinged with both skepticism and faith. There wasn’t any bickering, though. The family onstage happens to be packed with singers and songwriters — troupers all — and this year the next generation was resuming a tradition.Rufus and Martha Wainwright, children of the songwriters Kate McGarrigle and Loudon Wainwright III, have taken up their mother’s annual Christmas-concert-cum-family-reunion project, which was last presented in New York City in 2008; she died in 2010. This year’s show, a benefit for the Kate McGarrigle Fund for Sarcoma Research, easily reclaimed the homey charm of its predecessors, in a concert that hopscotched through the Christmas repertory, from old carols to brand-new songs, from hymns to Tin Pan Alley to rock. The wardrobe featured glitter, tinsel and quasi-medieval costumes, although Ms. Wainwright’s top was apparently from a marching band uniform.Friends were there too, including Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson and Marianne Faithfull, as well as a coterie of second-generation songwriters: Sean Lennon, who led a singalong of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s “Happy Xmas (War Is Over),” and Jenni Muldaur and Teddy Thompson, who teased through “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”Mr. Reed had family in mind, with his guitar tolling as he sang John Lennon’s desolate “Mother,” joined by Sean Lennon on piano.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/17/arts/music/wainwright-and-mcgarrigle-families-at-town-hall-review.html?_r=1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version