A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Okkervil River  (Read 236 times)

Moogmodule

• Getting Better
Okkervil River
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »

As part of a determined effort to find new music and new artists to listen to in the first decade of the 21st century, a few years ago  I stumbled upon an album called The Stage Names by Okkervil River.

I'd been trawling iTunes using their music recommendations and splurged on several albums. I think in that trawl I downloaded that album, one by Wolf Parade and one by Rogue Wave.  Okkervil River quickly elbowed out the others to achieve  a high rotation on my virtual turntable. They had that classic rock quality with a certain ragged edge to their arrangements.. Not unlike the Stones. They have that ability to perform a range of tempos and styles and the lead singer is quirky but compelling. The record was very consistent with few weak cuts (although also probably lacking that hit single)
I followed up quickly with their Black Sheep Boy album (perhaps their best effort) and The Stand Ins (maybe the lesser of these three albums).

iTunes is reducing the viability of true albums with almost a return to the pre Beatles era of singles being the dominant musical product. Swimming against this tide,  Okkervil River seem to want to craft coherent records. Their albums reward being played thru as opposed to being sampled.

Rock music now does seem to have run its course with respect to innovation. That's largely left to other genres. But there's still bands with distinctive sounds writing interesting songs. It's good to know there are still veins of gold to discover and explore.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Page created in 0.838 seconds with 27 queries.