Beatles forums > Albums

Is Sgt. Pepper...´ Over-Rated?

<< < (14/15) > >>

Strawberry Field:
Yes it is overrated. Way overrated. A Hard Day's Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, The White Album, Abbey Road and *maybe* even Let it Be are all better. But it's still a Beatles album, which means it's still friggin' great. All original Beatles albums are great.

Ovi:
I still don't think it's over-rated, because even those who do admit that it's a great/good album. As I said few pages ago, the only people who over-rate it are those who proclaim it to be the best album ever, miles ahead of anything attempted by anybody at any time. I think it's an incredible album, as good as any other Beatles album you'd want to compare it to.

And to prefer the disjointed, flawed, badly-sequenced, amateurishly over-produced at times album that is 'Let It Be' over it? No way.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: Ovi on September 01, 2013, 06:59:31 PM ---I still don't think it's over-rated, because even those who do admit that it's a great/good album. As I said few pages ago, the only people who over-rate it are those who proclaim it to be the best album ever, miles ahead of anything attempted by anybody at any time. I think it's an incredible album, as good as any other Beatles album you'd want to compare it to.

And to prefer the disjointed, flawed, badly-sequenced, amateurishly over-produced at times album that is 'Let It Be' over it? No way.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I think that Sgt. Pepper's is over-rated only by people who can't open their ears to other music than the Beatles. Sgt. Pepper's is probably the most famous Beatles album, and many people tend to underestimate highly popular albums. Another reason of why some people consider it's over-rated may be the very lower recognition given to other contemporaneous albums with perhaps higher artistic merits, so it would be over-rated only in comparison. Pet Sounds gained recognition with time, but other fantastic albums like Forever Changes or Odessey And Oracle are only praised by people who is very close to the music world.

Ovi:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on September 02, 2013, 01:08:39 PM ---Another reason of why some people consider it's over-rated may be the very lower recognition given to other contemporaneous albums with perhaps higher artistic merits, so it would be over-rated only in comparison. Pet Sounds gained recognition with time, but other fantastic albums like Forever Changes or Odessey And Oracle are only praised by people who is very close to the music world.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I agree, but what can you do? It's just the way things are. The same can be said about those who worship The Beatles, but completely ignore fantastic contemporary bands like The Kinks, The Beach Boys or The Velvet Underground.

Strawberry Field:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on September 02, 2013, 01:08:39 PM ---Yes, I think that Sgt. Pepper's is over-rated only by people who can't open their ears to other music than the Beatles.
--- End quote ---

My favorite band is the Beach Boys. And I'm a Motown addict. And I love jazz. And I love Frank Sinatra. Etc, etc. I still think it's a little overrated but nonetheless Sgt. Pepper is a great album. But it's not the second coming of Christ.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version