Beatles forums > The Beatles

5 stages of Ringo admiration

(1/7) > >>

blmeanie:
I believe there are 5 phases of appreciation of Ringo:

1 - first discover the Beatles, love the seemingly simple melodies and beats
2 - get told Ringo sucks compared to great rock drummers that have cool solos incorporated into their songs
3 - accept/wonder if it is true, defend him best you can, have many doubts yourself
4 - continue listening to hidden complexities in his drumming, begin to believe again he is "good"
5 - laugh off criticisms from non-Beatle fans, know his skills expertly match what was needed within the band

Style is everything, Ringo was likely never asked to shine and can you imagine a different style of drumming on Beatles tracks?

Kaleidoscope_Eyes:
Is this sarcasm?

And should probably be in the Ringo board

blmeanie:
no sarcasm, believe there are different levels of appreciation many people go through with Ringo.

Ringo section is under "solo" forums, felt it was more a Beatles comment.

peterbell1:

--- Quote from: blmeanie on June 27, 2012, 11:13:49 AM ---no sarcasm, believe there are different levels of appreciation many people go through with Ringo.

Ringo section is under "solo" forums, felt it was more a Beatles comment.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, didn't strike me as being sarcastic. I think I went through a similar "learning curve" myself, in fact.
While I'm aware that Ringo is not the greatest drummer on the planet, I'm also aware that he is by no means the worst, and he wasn't just a hanger-on in The Beatles - he was an integral part of their sound and came up with some really unique drum patterns and fills that still stand out as original to this day.

His singing, however, is another matter  ;D

TomMo:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ringo was the best drummer FOR the Beatles. It's easy in hindsight to compare him unfavorably to other drummers. But at the time he joined the band, who but Ringo could drive the band the way he did?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version