Solo forums > Microscopes

Microscope: Unfinished Music #1: Two Virgins

(1/14) > >>

Bobber:

Whenever a cover is more popular than the record it's holding, there is a problem. Two Virgins was Johns first solo record and before writing this Microscope I had listened to it only once. In order to write a proper Microscope I decided to listen to it once more. My mind has not changed. It's still unlistenable. I promise you I will never listen to it again.

What's on this record? It's just noises, some little snippets of conversation and Yoko screaming, whining and attempting to sing. Is it the sound of Yoko's orgasm? If so, it's not even erotic. It's plain painful to the ears and embarrassing at best. The best part of the album is John's voice at the end of side 1. He's saying: Excuse Me. That was the only sensible thing to put on a record like this. How did this ever get on vinyl in the first place and what on earth was John trying to accomplish with a commercial release? Compared to Two Virgins, Revolution #9 ánd What's The New Mary Jane? are masterpieces.

So why a Microscope thread on Two Virgins?
To prove that John Lennon's solo output was not an overall success. John-fans tend to point towards McCartney II and Paul's 80's stuff to say they don't like Pauls music. But this (and I will be reviewing Life With The Lions and The Wedding Album as well) is a John Lennon record, commercially released and usually neglected by all fans.

Did anybody on this forum ever listen to this album? I challenge you all to have a listen yourself and try to prove me wrong on all accounts.  ;D  Good luck.

Kevin:
Hi Bobber.
First, no, I've never listened to it. But I'm not sure that's the point.
Lennon seems to have been a man who needed a muse (the less charitable might say he was easily influenced by others, or that he needed to be led.)
Stu and Brian were dead and he wasn't trying to be Dylan any more. So he fell under the spell of Yoko. Bagism, instant music, avante garde, sound collages blah blah were more her than him.
And I think this album was more a statement of intent by him regarding his new life than a seriuos release he expected you to listen to. Least I hope so.
So I won't bash it too much.  I'll save that for Mind Games and Double Fantasy.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: Bobber on September 27, 2012, 03:12:52 PM ---So why a Microscope thread on Two Virgins?
To prove that John Lennon's solo output was not an overall success. John-fans tend to point towards McCartney II and Paul's 80's stuff to say they don't like Pauls music. But this (and I will be reviewing Life With The Lions and The Wedding Album as well) is a John Lennon record, commercially released and usually neglected by all fans.

Did anybody on this forum ever listen to this album? I challenge you all to have a listen yourself and try to prove me wrong on all accounts.  ;D  Good luck.

--- End quote ---

I've never listened to this record and I'm not interested to listen to it. But I don't think it's fair to judge John's solo career on base of experiments like this. I prefer John's solo career because I like his 1970-75 albums more than Paul's. I don't judge Paul's solo work from his supposedly "bad" albums, I just don't like most of the stuff he did, even in the 1970's; I would only save Band On The Run as a good piece of work (an oasis in the desert). I think that Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are better than anything Paul did after the Beatles, and give me Mind Games, Walls And Bridges and Rock 'N' Roll before sappy records like Ram and Red Rose Speedway. I admit that Paul worked harder than John, obtaining a more refined sound; but give me John's songs all the time, at least he had something to say lyrically.

tkitna:
Good lord, you were serious. I really didnt think you were going to go there. I've heard pieces of it, but never indulged in the torture it would be to listen to the entire thing. I never saw any reason. My hats off to you for doing so though good man. It must have been tough.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
I've not heard it entirely either. At least you can say that it gets better from here on in.

I think probably Sometime in NYC and Mind Games are John's weakest albums.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version