Solo forums > George Harrison

George & Paul's relationship after The Beatles

<< < (3/7) > >>

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: nonemoreblack on December 18, 2012, 07:58:14 AM ---I actually think George had a much better relationship with Paul than he did with John. I'm sure he got annoyed with him and felt bitter about how bossy he could be, but Paul was also the only one who George told about his mother's brain tumor. They were like brothers, so I think George felt more comfortable publicly criticizing Paul, whereas with John he never really knew where he stood with him. John was a pretty sh*tty friend to George and constantly put him down, but despite that George hero-worshipped him for a long time.

Also, he mentioned John several times in his book, moreso than anyone else, actually.

--- End quote ---
In one of my books which I remember a story that in the early 70's, I think when George was photo'd with Gerald Ford he met up with John and was so mad at him he slapped him across the face knocking off his glasses. John was incensed but walked away. As I remember the story this left quite a rift that lasted till his death. I wish I could find the book.

Klang:

The more I learn, the less I want to know.

:-[

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Klang on December 23, 2012, 12:29:54 PM ---The more I learn, the less I want to know.

:-[

--- End quote ---

Yes !!

They were just 4 happy moptops who became brilliant artists, we love their music, why do we need to know more ? ;)

Klang:

I guess it's a double-edged thing. Kind of like gawking at a train wreck. It's an awful thing, but one can't take their eyes off of it.

In the end I suppose I want to know all their is to know. It's just painful sometimes.

:-\

nonemoreblack:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on December 23, 2012, 02:48:54 AM ---In one of my books which I remember a story that in the early 70's, I think when George was photo'd with Gerald Ford he met up with John and was so mad at him he slapped him across the face knocking off his glasses. John was incensed but walked away. As I remember the story this left quite a rift that lasted till his death. I wish I could find the book.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that was May Pang's book. From what I understand, John had promised to help George out with his tour (when he was getting all those bad reviews) by appearing at his Madison Square Garden show but changed his mind and wasn't going to sign the legal papers for The Beatles to break up. That was the final straw for George after years of being used by him (usually against Paul), and he shouted something to the effect of, "I always did everything you asked me to, but when have you ever been there for me?!" John didn't leave though. George smacked his sunglasses away because he wanted him to look him in the face, and John sat there and listened because he saw George was in pain, and he knew what that felt like.

There was another fight they had previously, which I think is the real reason George walked out of the Let it Be sessions. There's recordings of the sessions and his "argument" with Paul. In context it really isn't much of an argument at all. They made a big effort to cover up the recording of the fight between John and George, so I imagine it was pretty serious. Something that had been building for a long time, since the Hamburg days. It's all a bit weird, and yes you have to take these things with a grain of salt. However, there's enough consistency between different sources to be able to connect the dots. I don't like finding out about this stuff either, but at the same time I feel bad that Paul often has to take the blame when there's more to the story and frustrated when Yoko tries to make out that John was the one who cared about George the most.

My guess is it was something like this: George's relationship with Paul = publicly not good, privately very good
                                                    George's relationship with John = publicly good, privately not so good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version