Beatles forums > The Beatles

Are The Beatles still relevant today?

<< < (2/3) > >>

stevie:
1. How did you discover The Beatles?   In 1970, when I was 8! My Aunty had some old E.PS of theirs and I just got into it and haven't looked back.

2. What is your all-time favourite Beatles song? Why so?   Tough one, as it changes all the time! Probably 'Penny Lane' as it shows the band at their collective best.

3. Do you prefer The Beatles above today’s influential pop(ular) artists and bands (Muse, Lady Gaga, Florence + The Machine, Mumford & Son’s, etc…). Why (not)?    Of course! Music has been stagnating for the last 10 years. The problem is simple - all the great songs have already been written; same with films. Here's an exercise to highlight this: name the last truly classic song? Hard, isn't it?...

4. In their songs The Beatles have addressed many different themes (ranging from love to eastern esotericism). Which themes appeal most to you? Why so?   I don't think the lads set out to do this with their music. They were always changing, looking for something new to try. It just panned out that way. Also, no one had ever done some of the stuff they did, so they were always on new ground, and dragged the world along with them.

5. While other bands that were popular in the sixties have largely been forgotten, The Beatles have retained massive popularity. Why do you think that is?    See my answer to question 3... ;D

Klang:
For me, the real question is: Are the people of today relevant?

1: 'She Loves You' on the radio, 1964.

2: 'I Feel Fine' - Innovative, energizing, perfect song.

3: Yes. It's good music.

4: All themes. It all works together.

5: See above.

:)

W_MM:
Thanks for the replies! You helped me out a lot. :-)

In My Life:
Am I too late?

1. How did you discover The Beatles? Because of my sister and brother, who were quite a bit older than me. I watched them on the Ed Sullivan show that first night. I was only 7 months old but I've been told that I really did watch...and scream, but only between songs. The rest of the time I stared, probably at Paul.  I started listening to my sister’s left behind albums in second grade.

2. What is your all-time favourite Beatles song? Why so? "In My Life" because the message has helped me deal with the loss of my parents, as well as and my sister and brother.

3. Do you prefer The Beatles above today’s influential pop(ular) artists and bands (Muse, Lady Gaga, Florence + The Machine, Mumford & Son’s, etc…). Why (not)? Most definitely. I don't dismiss new music out of hand and I have heard some things that I like but I rarely buy it or even think much about it.

4. In their songs The Beatles have addressed many different themes (ranging from love to eastern esotericism). Which themes appeal most to you? Why so? Love! But I really like the trippier stuff too. It's kind of a safe mini-dose of real mind altering substances.

5. While other bands that were popular in the sixties have largely been forgotten, The Beatles have retained massive popularity. Why do you think that is? I think people are fascinated with the way in which The Beatles continually evolved. They had distinct phases and were like several bands in one, plus each member continued to perform on their own after the break-up. With such a body of work there is something for most everyone and once a person is drawn in they usually come to appreciate it all. Besides the amazing music they also are a window into the culture of a decade that many people find interesting.

I read a lot of current novels and it is very common to find Beatles references in them, regardless of the age of the author.

Hello Goodbye:
1. How did you discover The Beatles?   I turned right at Greenland.

2. What is your all-time favourite Beatles song? Why so?   Lately, it's I'm Looking Through You.  And I prefer the early take.

3. Do you prefer The Beatles above today’s influential pop(ular) artists and bands (Muse, Lady Gaga, Florence + The Machine, Mumford & Son’s, etc…). Why (not)?   Yes.  I never heard of those artists you mentioned.

4. In their songs The Beatles have addressed many different themes (ranging from love to eastern esotericism). Which themes appeal most to you? Why so?   I like The Beatles' love songs the best especially Paul's compositions.

5. While other bands that were popular in the sixties have largely been forgotten, The Beatles have retained massive popularity. Why do you think that is?   Not all of the 1960s bands have been forgotten.  I suspect that some of today's great bands will not be forgotten 45 years from now too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version