Beatles forums > Songs

Song Of The Week - The Word

<< < (2/5) > >>

tkitna:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on December 04, 2012, 07:25:01 PM ---Surely the Beatles didn't mean this, but the lyrics always remind me to the Bible: "the word is the light; the word is the way; the word is love." You know, Jesus is the Word (John 1:1).

--- End quote ---

Awesome. I never thought about it that way, but your right.

ibanez_ax:

--- Quote from: Mairi on December 04, 2012, 03:54:22 AM ---It's a very early hippie sort of lyric, with the emphasis on peace and love. I think I like it better than All You Need Is Love, actually, it's a bit more creative lyrically and it's got all those cool bridges.

--- End quote ---

I couldn't have said it better.

Kevin:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on December 04, 2012, 07:25:01 PM ---
Surely the Beatles didn't mean this, but the lyrics always remind me to the Bible: "the word is the light; the word is the way; the word is love." You know, Jesus is the Word (John 1:1).

--- End quote ---

Afternoon all.
I've always supposed John was well aware of the reference.
Likewise I always assumed the line "In the good and the bad books that I have read" was also a nod to the Bible, also known as The Good Book. (and in good and bad he was referring in both to said Book. A little Lennonism there, a little dig at religion.)
Agree with Mairi, this kicks All You Need Is Love into the dust, though in the AYNIL's defence (something I would normally find difficult to do) it was an attempt at direct messaging, rather than the Dylanesque ambiquity of The Word.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2012, 12:41:50 PM ---I've always supposed John was well aware of the reference.
Likewise I always assumed the line "In the good and the bad books that I have read" was also a nod to the Bible, also known as The Good Book. (and in good and bad he was referring in both to said Book. A little Lennonism there, a little dig at religion.)

--- End quote ---

There's also "in the beginning I misunderstood, but now I've got it the word is good" sounding like a converted guy, and "now that I know what I feel must be right, I'm here to show everybody the light" sounding like a preacher. The song is really about universal love, but actually that's what religion is truly about. God bless free interpretations. ;D

Kangaroo Kev:

--- Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2012, 12:41:50 PM ---Afternoon all.
I've always supposed John was well aware of the reference.
Agree with Mairi, this kicks All You Need Is Love into the dust, though in the AYNIL's defence (something I would normally find difficult to do) it was an attempt at direct messaging, rather than the Dylanesque ambiquity of The Word.

--- End quote ---

For me, they are equal in status.....AYNIL of course (brilliantly) written hurriedly as an anthem/single for the tv thing, it does what it was meant to do......and is very memorable

The Word is a different beast, as you say Kevin, Dylanesque, and guess what  ;D

“We smoked a bit of pot, then we wrote out a multicolored lyric sheet, the first time we’d ever done that.”  As explained in Paul’s book “Many Years From Now,”

The Word is the first song written under the influence so to speak....so they were feeling Dylanish and sort of loving (for want of a better word)

Its a truly great song, not commercial, so its no single and my only quibble with it is its a kind of 12 Bar Blues with added bridges that John sings so not musically that adventurous.......it does sound like a true collaboration though, I can just hear them......John  'so I'll sing these lines after each verse..........etc etc'...Paul, 'ok and I can play that funky piano thing Ive had in my head...etc etc  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version