A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Books  (Read 21588 times)

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
Re: Books
« Reply #260 on: December 30, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »

`The Catcher In The Rye' is in my list of books to read.

I wanted to ask you about books you read in 2015. Which of them not only impressed you much but also affected your world?

I read much. Most of all I was impressed by Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov", Dante's "The Divine Comedy" and Homer's "Iliad". These are great works that I will re-read in the future.
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #261 on: December 30, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »

I have to admit that I did not read anything of real substance this past year, except for Theodore Dreiser's Sister Carrie, for about the 100th time. It's a favorite.

I do have Madame Bovary on my list, and my girls have to read George Orwell's 1984 for school. I actually was assigned to read that one in 1984.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #262 on: December 31, 2015, 07:52:52 AM »

Great books, these `Madame Bovary' and `1984'. I read Flaubert in Russian translation, but American and English books I prefer to read in English. Have to admit that, for example, Orwell, Herbert George Wells, Mark Twain are easy to read, but I can't read Shakespeare or Dickens. Very complicated! You know, my English is not so good.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #263 on: December 31, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »

Great books, these `Madame Bovary' and `1984'. I read Flaubert in Russian translation, but American and English books I prefer to read in English. Have to admit that, for example, Orwell, Herbert George Wells, Mark Twain are easy to read, but I can't read Shakespeare or Dickens. Very complicated! You know, my English is not so good.

Don't worry Dimitri. A lot of English people can't understand Shakespeare and even experts sometimes disagree about the meaning of certain lines. I'm a native English speaker and I watch my Shakespeare DVDs with the English subtitles. I sometimes pause the DVD to make sure I've understood!

Dickens is easier but his languagae is a bit old-fashioned.

Happy new year for 2016.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 27 queries.