Sometime In New York City
1. Woman Is The black person Of The World - This really isnt a bad song. I actually kind of like it to be honest. It has some faults though. The first being that I hate the echo effect during the song. It just sounds like it was recorded in a cave. I like the sax playing and the acoustic guitar. Johns voice sounds good. I like the duel guitar solo's. Drumming is decent but they sound muddy which is typical John production for some reason. All in all, its a good song. Could be offensive to people that dont get the meaning, but i'm sure John was well aware of that. I like it, but I wish it were a bit shorter. Its almost a 6 minute tune.
2. Sisters Oh Sisters - This song doesnt really bother me even though Yoko sings it. Yes, Yucko's voice grates, but the song itself is kind of like a 50's do-whop kind of thing to my ears. A big complaint is Yucko's vocals lag throughout. Its like they dont match the beat of the song for some reason. Some strings around the .58 mark are neat. I dig the drum beat for some reason. The guitar solo sucks, but its just crunching the same riff over and over. Oh well. Its a sloppy song, but I kind of dig it for some reason. Kill me now.
3. Attica State - I like the shuffle and the guitar, but I dearly hate Yoko's voice here. If only John could have sang this by himself. This is a great rocking tune, but she makes it so that I cant enjoy it as much as I should be. Dammit. She just cant keep any kind of time with John. She's all over the place. Good song though otherwise.
4. Born In Prison - A slower song, but the production seems crisper then usual. (shrugs) Yoko's voice actually sounds pretty good starting this song off (nice sax too), but then at the .35 mark, she tries some falsetto bullsh*t that just fails on every level. She all over the place time wise again too. The sax solo's are great, but overall, this song plods along and stinks up the joint. Pass.
5. New York City - Good 50's type of rocker with the sax and piano playing with great driving guitar and drum beat. Luckily we are spared Yucko this time. Love the guitar solo on this song.
Great tone. Good rocker. Whats not to like here?
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday - Starts with snare rolls and heavy percussion and then the sax kicks in again. I was digging the tune until Yucko's voice at the .48 mark. Seriously, she is so bad that its a deal breaker for good songs, but she ruins them. I like the song, but her part kills it. Its at this point that the sax is starting to get on my nerves too. Its been such a heavily used instrument so far that it feels like i'm listening to a Springsteen album. Thats not a good thing. This is an ear worm song. I cant get it out of my head, but I dont like it.
7. The Luck Of The Irish - This is a yawner. A slow plodder that John and Yoko trade verses with. Boring as crap and just not enjoyable. Pass.
8. John Sinclair - Southern swamp slide guitar to start us off. Its nice. Snare comes in with John and it sounds nice. Oh no. The 30 gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, etc,,,. Killed it for me. It was so bad, that i'm p*ssed off now. Pass.
9. Angela - Ehh, I hope its not because the last song p*ssed me off, but this is a horrible song. John and Yoko duet again. Its a slow song that tries in the middle to be a powerful song, but its just so terrible that it doesnt work. Sorry, this is just an awful song.
10. We're All Water - Nice boogie beat (muddy production again though (damn John). Yoko starts singing and it sounds like the two japanese twins that sing during the Mothera movie in the 60's. Terrible. I just cant excuse this one. Horrid. Oh God the sound effects at the 1.40 mark. Please make it stop. No need, I will. Next.
11. Cold Turkey - A live version of the song. John tells us this song is about pain, I hope thats not a warning for things to come. I like Cold Turkey, but this isnt needed here. The damn things like 8 minutes long with the last 4 or 5 minutes being intolerable. Nothing new was added to this song that a person would need or have to hear this version. If you like the song, this might be for you. I'll pass.
12. Dont Worry Kyoko - Yoko screaming and spewing bullsh*t. I cant be bothered. Help yourself if you feel the need.
13. Well (Baby Please Dont Go) - This song grooves pretty good with some good playing and good musicianship, but damn if Yucko isnt screaming in the background ruining yet another song. f***ing b****. Nothings sacred with her. If somebody could somehow hide her voice, i'd like this song. Great guitar solo. Who is that playing anyways? I'll have to look.
14. Jamrag - God Yoko's screaming before anything is even happening. Sounds like some type of psychedelic stuff at first but the screaming and sound effects are too much for me. I quit. Help yourself. Another piece of music ruined.
15. Scumbag - Its Frank Zappas band. That makes sense. I had to look it up as this tune sounded prog like and the few before had some good stuff music wise. This music is good again, but John just sings Scumbag over and over again. Hell I could have done that. Dont bother.
16. Au - More Yoko and at this point, i've overdosed and i'm feeling sick. Its a shame she's on this stuff, because I think the John/Zappa collaboration is interesting stuff, but she just kills it. I'm done.
The first half of the album has some good stuff and interesting bits, but Yoko is a festering sore that just wont go away. The live stuff isnt for me. To heavy with Yoko. The overall political theme doesnt even register with me, because I dont care nor do I listen to lyrics all that often, so its lost. Its been a long time since i've listened to this record, and it'll probably be another long period before I bother again. Peace.