Other forums > Different Conversations

Geneaology

(1/4) > >>

In My Life:

--- Quote from: Dcazz ---Quote from: In My Life on October 09, 2012, 12:46:14 AM

I can't lay claim to that myself; the kids are related to Samuel Adams on the other side of the family. But there was a relative in my maternal grandmother's  family who thought she might be able to prove eligibility for the DAR. She never finished her research and somehow my mom ended up with the letters and documents she collected. They are somewhere in my attic. Maybe some day I'll see if I can continue with it.

That would be a worthy endevour. I think a DAR certificate would make an excellant Christmas or birthday gift when the time is right. My wife and her family are descended from Gen. John Stark and she has the certificate somewhere. It's very interesting.
--- End quote ---

I finally have started and you're right Dave; it's very interesting! Just Googling has allowed me to find ancestors in the time of Henry VIII! The ones who came from England to the US had a daughter who was tried for witchcraft in 1695 in Connecticut! She was lucky; she was acquitted but the court of public opinion never found her innocent. Apparently there are accounts of this in several books on the subject of witchcraft trials. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to document all this but I think it will fun. I'm signing up for Ancestory.com this weekend.

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: In My Life on July 12, 2013, 03:47:11 AM ---I finally have started and you're right Dave; it's very interesting! Just Googling has allowed me to find ancestors in the time of Henry VIII! The ones who came from England to the US had a daughter who was tried for witchcraft in 1695 in Connecticut! She was lucky; she was acquitted but the court of public opinion never found her innocent. Apparently there are accounts of this in several books on the subject of witchcraft trials. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me to document all this but I think it will fun. I'm signing up for Ancestory.com this weekend.

--- End quote ---
That's great! Keep us informed with what you find out!
I get a kick out of our Caswell ancestry. I believe our earliest ancestors was Cassivallaunus who was the Chieftan of the Cantalluvian(?) tribe in SE Britain. He unified the other tribes to fight Julius Caesar in 54 BC. There is a mention of his father before that but I can't remember his name. In Wales he is known as Casswallon and is a legendary figure of ancient lore.
I have no idea where I fit into this but it's fun to think...!

In My Life:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on July 12, 2013, 10:02:14 AM ---That's great! Keep us informed with what you find out!
I have no idea where I fit into this but it's fun to think...!

--- End quote ---

I will Dave. Your history is interesting too. Yes it is fun to ponder but unfortunately I read this stuff at night and all my pondering makes it hard to sleep! It's just so exciting. Apparently this ancestor has had a lot written about her. Her name was Mary Bliss Parsons: http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/parsons/hnmockup/home.html
She was a tough old broad!

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: In My Life on July 12, 2013, 10:39:15 PM ---I will Dave. Your history is interesting too. Yes it is fun to ponder but unfortunately I read this stuff at night and all my pondering makes it hard to sleep! It's just so exciting. Apparently this ancestor has had a lot written about her. Her name was Mary Bliss Parsons: http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/parsons/hnmockup/home.html
She was a tough old broad!

--- End quote ---
Northampton is about 75 miles from where I live. Back then I think a lot of the odd(unique) personalities went out this way to be away from civilization.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain:
Interesting subject that I know little about. As far as I can roughly gather my Paternal Great Grandparents were from Dorset and possibly  roll:) Ireland/Oxfordshire and Maternal Great Grandparents Cardiff  roll:) docks/Devon and Bristol/Kent.

I look like a Jute.

I wonder if a Eugenics thread would get as much up-take as this one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version