Beatles forums > Songs

Song Of The Week - If I Needed Someone

<< < (2/6) > >>

Klang:

Another classic from the great RS. What can I say? But you see now Im too much in love.

:P

blmeanie:
Perfect song, love the tongue in cheek lyrics.  As others have said above, it's a "never skip" George classic.

oldbrownshoe:
Wonderful song, one of George's best.

Given The Hollies successful track record up to 12/65 (their two previous 45s had been the No. 1 'I'm Alive' and the terrific 'Look Through Any Window') the choice by such a successful group to put this out as a 45 was a bizarre one.
Indeed the b-side of 'Window' was the self-penned and brilliant 'So Lonely' - why didn't they hold that back for an a-side?

Someone asked whether it was common for covers to come out on the same day as the Beatles own version came out, and I think that it was - certainly the NME always had a crop of Beatles covers to review on, or at least very close to, the release date of their LPs in the mid-60s.

Kangaroo Kev:

--- Quote from: oldbrownshoe on October 18, 2013, 06:37:42 PM ---Wonderful song, one of George's best.

Given The Hollies successful track record up to 12/65 (their two previous 45s had been the No. 1 'I'm Alive' and the terrific 'Look Through Any Window') the choice by such a successful group to put this out as a 45 was a bizarre one.
Indeed the b-side of 'Window' was the self-penned and brilliant 'So Lonely' - why didn't they hold that back for an a-side?

Someone asked whether it was common for covers to come out on the same day as the Beatles own version came out, and I think that it was - certainly the NME always had a crop of Beatles covers to review on, or at least very close to, the release date of their LPs in the mid-60s.

--- End quote ---

I actually think it was a decent choice as for me the song is as good as something like 'Im Alive' but theyre version lacks something, like they didnt put theyre heart into it.....maybe like The Beatles version of How Do You Do It ? not really quite there.

Maybe they didnt really want to do it but were kinda forced/coerced by Ron Richards

tkitna:
The Hollies version has the right sound, its just that they did the song in a choppy, herky-jerky type way. It never flows like the Beatles version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version