But can you show me where you are?

Creme tangerine and Montelimar
 A ginger sling with a pineapple heart
 A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news
 But you'll have to have them all pulled out
 After the Savoy truffle
 Yes, you'll have to have them all pulled out
 After the Savoy truffle

Apparently, George wrote the song as a tribute to his friend Eric Clapton's chocolate addiction, and indeed he derived the title and many of the lyrics from a box of Mackintosh's Good News chocolates.
Supposedly all of the confectionery names used in the song are authentic, except cherry cream and coconut fudge. The chorus ("But you'll have to have them all pulled out after the savoy truffle") is a reference to the deterioration of one's teeth after eating too many sweets. The line "We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da" refers to the song "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", which appears earlier on the album, but with the "sinister" overtone (as Walter Everett put it) that "life may not go on" as the latter song insists

Personnel

George Harrison – double-tracked vocal, lead guitar
Paul McCartney – bass guitar
Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine

Additional..
Chris Thomas – organ, Hohner Pianet
Art Ellefson – tenor saxophone
Danny Moss – tenor saxophone
Derek Collins – tenor saxophone
Ronnie Ross – baritone saxophone
Harry Klein – baritone saxophone
Bernard George – baritone saxophone

Personnel per Ian MacDonald

Hello Goodbye:
George was pretty brilliant coming up with this song.  And it all had to do with a box of candy...

It's a nice jazzy piece and I love the saxophones.  I like this song a lot.  Always did since I first played the LP on its release.

It's neat how George worked a "clue" into the song:

We all know ob-bla-di-bla-da
but can you show me where you are

I guess he meant life does not go on.    ;D

Moogmodule:
This has a nice hard rocky edge. Especially the middle 8. I suppose having such quirky lyrics means it sticks out in the memory while simultaneously making it sound like a throwaway novelty. I like it though. It's fun and showing George's sardonic humour. I think it'd make my one album White Album.

I liked the story in Living in the Material World of Ken Scott working to get a good sax sound and then having George say "great. Now distort them."  A window into the Beatle mind set that wanted different sounds. Not just nice ones.

Hello Goodbye:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on December 26, 2013, 03:11:47 AM ---I suppose having such quirky lyrics means it sticks out in the memory while simultaneously making it sound like a throwaway novelty.

--- End quote ---

Right.  I had no idea what George was talking about in the first verse.  We didn't have Mackintosh's Good News chocolates here in the United States.

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on December 26, 2013, 03:11:47 AM ---It's fun and showing George's sardonic humour.

--- End quote ---

Definitely!

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on December 26, 2013, 03:11:47 AM ---This has a nice hard rocky edge. Especially the middle 8. I suppose having such quirky lyrics means it sticks out in the memory while simultaneously making it sound like a throwaway novelty. I like it though. It's fun and showing George's sardonic humour. I think it'd make my one album White Album.

I liked the story in Living in the Material World of Ken Scott working to get a good sax sound and then having George say "great. Now distort them."  A window into the Beatle mind set that wanted different sounds. Not just nice ones.

--- End quote ---

yes I think that ruined Ken's day :D

you pretty much summed up my feelings moog, it would make my single album white album, great song, I really like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version