A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Books  (Read 13405 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: Books
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »

Aspidistra? I believe it's a plant. Sounds more like an aircraft I reckon :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »

How about that! More like a car or something.

https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608041531095453586&pid=15.1&P=0
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:31:35 AM by Dcazz »
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• Getting Better
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »

My question has been answered! Cute song, thanks
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Just about to finish The Dinner by Herman Koch. It started out OK but has been getting progressively darker and more unsettling.
~ A beach is a place where a man can feel / He's the only soul in the world that's real ~

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

Just about to finish The Dinner by Herman Koch. It started out OK but has been getting progressively darker and more unsettling.

That was the selection for our library's book club last time. I don't belong because they meet on my day off. If it was the evening when I work I'd be more than happy to sit down with them and talk! LOL
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #226 on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »

I gave up on Orwell's Aspidestra and so now I reverted back to Ben Elton's Two Brothers

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kangaroo Kev

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2014, 10:43:04 AM »

I gave up on Orwell's Aspidestra and so now I reverted back to Ben Elton's Two Brothers

what was wrong with it KE ?
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:13 AM »

I'm reading an interesting series of books. At least I find them interesting! They are the journals of a young woman who lived here and they're from the mid 1850's. Her father was a wealthy lumberman and merchant and her brother eventually donated the house that's the library where I work. A lot of it is rather tedious but every so often a passage will come up that makes it all worth it! I'm on the third of five and it looks like I'm probably the one person who's read that far since it was transcribed in the 1990's. It made that new book sound when I opened it.
Kelley

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2014, 01:31:26 PM »

I'm reading an interesting series of books. At least I find them interesting! They are the journals of a young woman who lived here and they're from the mid 1850's. Her father was a wealthy lumberman and merchant and her brother eventually donated the house that's the library where I work. A lot of it is rather tedious but every so often a passage will come up that makes it all worth it! I'm on the third of five and it looks like I'm probably the one person who's read that far since it was transcribed in the 1990's. It made that new book sound when I opened it.

That does sound interesting! A friend was just telling me about some history of the town I live in. Apparently there are a lot of underground tunnels from the bootlegging era. According to this one book of local lore, there was even a tunnel leading from one of the brothels to a local church, and -- according to this book, which I haven't read -- one leading citizen would sneak out during the homily to visit said brothel. (I'm not quite sure how one would manage that, unless the wife were dozing or one claimed an ill stomach or something!) I keep meaning to try to find it at the library.
~ A beach is a place where a man can feel / He's the only soul in the world that's real ~

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

That does sound interesting! A friend was just telling me about some history of the town I live in. Apparently there are a lot of underground tunnels from the bootlegging era. According to this one book of local lore, there was even a tunnel leading from one of the brothels to a local church, and -- according to this book, which I haven't read -- one leading citizen would sneak out during the homily to visit said brothel. (I'm not quite sure how one would manage that, unless the wife were dozing or one claimed an ill stomach or something!) I keep meaning to try to find it at the library.

That will be quite a read! There are some things of an unsavory nature alluded to in this journal but Lib is too much of a lady to come right out and tell all. She got very upset when she was making her brothers' bed and found a book entitled "The Lusty Turk" hidden under the straw mattress.She really bawled them out good! I guess boys have been hiding that stuff for a long time. LOL
Kelley

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Page created in 0.872 seconds with 27 queries.