A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: whats everyones favourite beatles albums in order  (Read 23379 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Re: whats everyones favourite beatles albums in order
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »

I could divide the Beatles albums in three categories:

Excellent albums: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Abbey Road.

Very good albums: A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and The White Album.

Good albums: Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Beatles For Sale, and Let It Be.

I don't take Yellow Submarine into account because it's just half a Beatles album.
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

In My Life

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

I have to get in the Can't Do It Line with Barry, Kev, Dave and anyone else who came before us. I was gonna try. I wanted to just shout "Geronimo" but when I started studying the list I realized I'd have to shout "Oh sh*t!" and gave up!
Kelley

In my life I've loved them all

Kangaroo Kev

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2014, 01:30:16 AM »

Excellent albums: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Abbey Road.

Very good albums: A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and The White Album.

Good albums: Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Beatles For Sale, and Let It Be.

I don't take Yellow Submarine into account because it's just half a Beatles album.

for me with the exception of YS they are all 10/10

due in a big way to the way they changed the musical horizon and culture of the time

I never understand the poor rating for Let It Be, brilliant tracks throughout that album   ;D
"I have always thought in the back of my mind.... cheese & onion...."

Normandie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »

This is like jumping out of a plane I imagine... if you think too long about these things, doubt sets in and you daren't/can't post.

That's a perfect description, and it's one reason why I haven't posted in this thread yet: been mulling it over too long. I'll have to take a mental break from it and jump back in with my list.
~ A beach is a place where a man can feel / He's the only soul in the world that's real ~

Moogmodule

• Getting Better
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2014, 03:00:25 AM »

That's a pretty good division. Although in doing my list I avoided trying to come up with a concept of what was better and just listed the ones I generally preferred. As others have said, there is such little between their albums that's it's very hard to make a sensible ranking. And the different styles make it harder. Abbey Road is a totally different beast to Hard Days night. And Sgt Pepper is different to all the other Beatle albums. Very hard to sensibly compare in a "best" sense. 

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »

That Excellent/VG/Good list doesn't really recognise the impact of each LP at the time.

If it did, the most successful LP in terms of weeks at No. 1 in the UK, 'Please Please Me', would not be in the lower category and, given the mania that surrounded their first film, neither would 'A Hard Day's Night'.

Also in Britain, though probably not in the States, I think 'Sgt. Pepper's' would now be more likely to be in the 'very good' rather than the 'excellent' list.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

for me with the exception of YS they are all 10/10

due in a big way to the way they changed the musical horizon and culture of the time

I never understand the poor rating for Let It Be, brilliant tracks throughout that album   ;D

I love every Beatles album; only Yellow Submarine is disposable in my opinion. My ratings are only relative, because I do consider that some Beatles albums are better than others.

About the impact of each album that oldbrownshoe mentioned, I think it's an important factor, but I've mainly considered the quality (always according to my ears) of the actual content.
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Page created in 0.81 seconds with 27 queries.