Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

Your favorite bands and artists with a "but..."

(1/6) > >>

Joost:
I'm sure you have a few: bands that you really like, despite something about them that you really dislike. For instance: you only like their early albums, you like most of their work but not their best known songs, but like their studio work but not their live performances (or vice versa), you like their music but not the people in the band, or you can't identify with the band's image, etc.

Some of mine:

Beach Boys: greatest band of all time, but I almost never listen to their pre-Pet Sounds material
Red Hot Chili Peppers: love everything up until 'One Hot Minute', everything they've done since is kind of lame
Elvis Presley: one of the greatest singers and performers of all time, but he recorded more bad than good songs
Beastie Boys: were brilliant from the late 80s until the 90s, but dumb before that and boring after that
Nirvana: amazing band but Kurt was an a**hole
Green Day: only their first four albums were great
Elliott Smith: can't get into his first two albums, but the others are incredible

Ovi:
Fun thread. What's your beef with Cobain?

Aerosmith: love almost everything they've done up until 1982 and almost nothing since then.
Kinks: ditto, only replace 1982 with 1972.
Gabriel-era Genesis: love them on basically every level except for my indifference towards the lyrics - I can rarely make sense of what Gabriel's singing about and most of the time I don't even try.
Guns n' Roses: they were incredible as a singles band, but their albums were usually a mess. Axl was usually kinda annoying live, too.
Kanye West: his personality is a huge turn-off, I would probably smack him in the head if he were my friend. But I can still find things of interest in some of his music (I still wouldn't call myself a fan though).

I'll think of more later.

Ovi:
Amy Winehouse: 'Back To Black' is one of my favourite albums of the past decade, but on the other hand I don't really like 'Frank' at all. Kind of a big deal, given that those are the only two albums she released in her lifetime.

Ovi:
Talking Heads: 'Fear of Music' and 'Remain In Light' are genius, mind-bending records that deserve all the praise they get. Everything else I've heard, be it either pre or post those leaves me cold. They needed Eno to truly make things work.

Joost:

--- Quote from: Ovi on April 07, 2014, 05:40:56 PM ---Fun thread. What's your beef with Cobain?

--- End quote ---
No beef. As a musician, Kurt Cobain is one of my heroes. He was one of the main reasons why I got into alternative music and playing guitar 20 years ago. As a teen, I spend more time playing along with Nirvana records than doing homework and I once read Michael Azerrad's book about Nirvana three times in a row. But Tony Asher's famous quote about Brian Wilson probably applies even more to Cobain: "a genius musician but an amateur human being".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version