Solo forums > John Lennon

Why do you think Sometime In NYC bombed in 72?

(1/7) > >>

Wayne L.:
I think the reason Sometime In NYC bombed at the time on the Billboard album charts if you follow it is because it was so unlike John as an artist & a former Beatle especially after his solo masterpieces John Lennon Plastic Ono Band & Imagine despite the music itself being great even though his radical left lyrics are too extreme.  Its similiar New York Times album cover with Nixon & Mao dancing naked which was possibly too offensive besides hanging out with Yippie leader Jerry Rubin which probably turned off some fans at the time but Sometime In NYC is one of Lennon's most underrated classic rock albums which shouldn't be ignored. 

NothingIsReal:
John's politics rule

:
[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1081884028,s=1 date=1081887989]It was probably TOO radical for most people - especially in Britain! The British tend not to buy albums which contain pro-IRA songs!

Ignoring the overly political lyrics, it's actually a damn fine album![/quote]

Among young people (I mean up to early 30s, the market for Lennon stuff in those days), the political attitudes expressed in SINYC were pretty well accepted. So I don't agree that the album was too radical.

I think there were a two or three of severe problems with SINYC:

*Yoko was much in evidence. This album was the first mainstream attempt by the two of them to present as a double act on record.

*The lyrics were frequently slogans strung together. After a couple of listens, you get tired of that. The songs lacked subtlety. There was little room for listener interpretation. John and/or Yoko are telling you how it is, no argument. It is a hectoring, bullying album.

*John Lennon was being increasingly seen as having nothing to say. Or, at the least, he was no longer a "spokesman". In other words, his credibility was shot. It's interesting to speculate on why Lennon so quickly became "passe", but surely Yoko has to accept part of the blame.

:
I'm sorry, The, but many many under-30s (inlcuding Englishman) thought then that the British Govt was behaving disgracefully in Northern Ireland. The "young" view at the time was that the British should get out of Northern Ireland.

You quote from "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Most thinking people were appalled at the soldiers' behavior on that terrible day: and did not believe the lies in the susequent cover up. To further quote that song: "Not a soldier boy was bleeding when they nailed the coffin lids".

:
I called you "The" because that is the first word in your name! I wasn't trying to bait you.

I'm not trying to make you out as if you are anti the album, or anti John. I can't see how you could think that, honestly.

I simply think your judgment of feeling among many young people at the time is wrong.

And I don't mind in the least if you don't continue with this "conversation".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version