Beatles forums > Songs

Eleanor Rigby

<< < (2/9) > >>

(3)  A funeral speech
     Nobody heard; no one came.
     Eleanor Rigby.

I was just browsing on google...and a page said that the song actually came from a series of haikus like this  i'm confused..:(

The End:
[quote by=Bruno,m=1083192537,s=2 date=1083244871]I read somewhere that there's actually an Eleanor Rigby buried in the Church's graveyeard where John met Paul in 1957 while playing for the Quarrymen.[/quote]

And here it is...

This is the gravestone of Eleanor Rigby which was only discovered in the mid-Eighties in the grounds of St Peter's Church, Woolton, Liverpool. It was at a church-organised Garden Fete that John first met Paul on 6th July 1957.

A flyer for the garden fete where John and Paul first met.

that's great, thanks Alan.

When Paul got asked if he chose the name 'Eleanor Rigby' based on that gravestone he said that he didn't know anything about it!! That's weird!

Some other facts about this song:

-Paul McCartney got "Rigby" from the name of a store and "Eleanor" from actress Eleanor Bron. He liked the name "Eleanor Rigby" because it sounded natural.

-"Father Mackenzie" was originally "Father McCartney." Paul decided he didn't want to freak out his dad and picked a name out of the phone book instead.

-A string section of 4 violins, 2 violas and 2 cellos were used in recording. Paul may have been inspired by the classic composer Vivaldi.

-The Beatles didn't play any of the instruments on this. All the music came from the string players, who were hired as session musicians.

-The last verse was written in the studio.

-There is a gravestone for an Eleanor Rigby in St. Peter's Churchyard in Wooton, England.
This was originally written as "Miss Daisy Hawkins."

-The lyrics were brainstormed among The Beatles. In later years, Lennon and McCartney gave different accounts of who contributed more of the words to this.

-Microphones were placed very close to the instruments to create and unusual sound.
-Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin both had hits with cover versions of this.

-Because of the string section, this was difficult to play live, which The Beatles never did.

-On his 2002 Back In The US tour, Paul McCartney played this without the strings.
Keyboards were used to compensate.

-There is also a McKenzie gravestone in Woolton.

Thats really relly interesting.... I wish someone would release a book on annotated beatles lyrics

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version