A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Thank you!

Author Topic: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass  (Read 5743 times)

• One And One Is Two
Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:38:45 PM »

I have had my Hofner for several years now and I haven't attempted to do any modifications to it.  I am not very knowledgeable or handy with making modifications to instruments and I'm not sure I would attempt to do it on an instrument that I love as much as my Hofner even if I was.

However, I have thought through the years about trying to adjust the action slightly on my bass.  The action is a little high.  I have tried adjusting the bridge as it is a movable bridge, but there's not a whole lot that I can do with that big pickup in the way.  

Now, I know that the action will never be like more modern basses and that's cool, but is there ANYTHING that I can do to improve the action a bit without making too many modifications to the bass or should I bring it to a professional OR should I just accept the high action as a consequence of owning such a beautiful classic instrument.

Any help would be appreciated

• Administrator
  • Sun King
Re: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »

I guess Rickenbacker is your man here.

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
Re: Action adjustment Hofner violin bass
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 12:06:38 AM »

Moving the bridge forward and backward only changes your intonation, leave it where the factory put it. Use the thumb wheels on the bridge to lower the action, ideally 3/32 on the bass side to 2/32 on the treble side from the top of the 12th fret  to the bottom of the string (sorry if your in Europe you'll have to do the math conversion, I never was good at that ;D) first adjust the truss rod to straighten the neck, a little relief(concave bow) is ok but not too much. Then you can adjust the bridge height. Remeber if the bass buzzes a little acoustically, but the buzz is not reproduced through your amp it's ok. Even the most expensive electrics will buzz ocassionally when played acoustically. Good luck! :)

Page created in 1.277 seconds with 26 queries.