A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Summer Of 1960  (Read 9834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13488
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2007, 02:34:48 PM »

I noticed Googlebot was very interested in this thread. Rightly so!
Logged

Ligger

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 07:59:56 AM »

I am honestly starting to think that 1961 was a much more crucial year for the boys.

Have you studied those Top Ten Club photographs?

Paul can be seen: with the crappy Rosetti Solid 7, at the upright piano, instrument-less at the microphone and with his newly purchased Hoffner.

What about the shots with two bass players on stage at the same time. Or Stu and George in that moody lighting. Stu is sitting and wearing some weird sandalsl

Stu quits. They do the session with Bert and Tony.

And when they get back to Liverpool as a four piece after that second Hamburg stint. Look out world.

With Paul's new guitar and all that black leather. A solid year's worth of playing with a very fine drummer. That would have been the time to catch one of their club dates. 1961

Let's not forget regular Wednesday nights at the Cavern starting in July.
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »

Quote from: 1122
A solid year's worth of playing with a very fine drummer. That would have been the time to catch one of their club dates. 1961

? Competent, but I wouldn't call Pete a very fine drummer.
Logged

slick rick

  • Getting Better
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 363
  • bakers dozen
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 11:49:59 AM »

then you saw him preform back then?and the other drummers were better??ringo was no major at the time either....i fear that pete just gets a bad rep because he never stood up against what everyone was saying....so naturally he becomes the villian....
Logged
well its saturday night and i just got paid

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »

Quote from: 336
then you saw him preform back then?and the other drummers were better??ringo was no major at the time either....i fear that pete just gets a bad rep because he never stood up against what everyone was saying....so naturally he becomes the villian....

I don't think of him like that. And no, I haven't seen him perform, but I've heard enough of him and Ringo, from that period to think that Ringo is superior. How is Pete the villain?
Logged

Ligger

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 07:55:48 AM »

1960 Liverpool

I wish I could have seen one of their shows at the Grosvenor Ballroom in Liscard, Wallasey, in the Wirral.

Here is a photo of the venue:

You can see how intimate the room is. Notice also how low the stage is. I visited the Grosvenor once and just walked inside. It was empty and ghostly quiet. I drank in the history of the tiny room and congratulated myself on my good fortune.

This was about twenty years ago, before the rebirth of Liverpool's Beatles tourism industry. I believe only die hard Japanese fans were aware of the place at that time. It was a bit off the beaten path, since I had to get there by public transportation. I took the ferry and then a bus.

Highly recommended if you happen visit Liverpool.

I can't wait for Mersey Beat Village to open.
Logged

Bill Harry

  • Special Member
  • Getting Better
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 482
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »

What is this about a 'Mersey Beat Village' I have been trying to get a Mersey Beat Village established since 1995?
Logged

Ligger

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »

I read about it on your website, Bill.

It is such an amazing idea. If only I had some wealth and influence.
I would invest in that project without hesitation.  

How could it possibly not be a phenomenal success?

All the best of luck with it. Any updates or progress reports?
Logged

Ligger

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »

I was just listening to Cry for a Shadow.

That song really swings. It's sounds like they are having so much fun. It's got to be more than just a parody of the Shadows' May, 1961 hit, The Frightened City.

Someone should start a The Summer of 1961 thread.
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 05:41:27 AM »

Quote from: 284
that is me in the picture with my head cut off....from a previous life....i remember johnny saying if you die now you can be reborne.... :P


I'm just reading this old thread ...

pc31, are you saying you were there on the Johnny Gentle tour?!
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13488
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »

Quote from: 568

I'm just reading this old thread ...

pc31, are you saying you were there on the Johnny Gentle tour?!


They were indeed, in May 1960. Check on Chazz Avery's site: http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1960/60.05.20%20johnny%20gentle/60.05.20johnnygentle.html
Logged

harihead

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 2339
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

Quote from: 1122
I was just listening to Cry for a Shadow. ... It's sounds like they are having so much fun. It's got to be more than just a parody of the Shadows' May, 1961 hit, The Frightened City.
I agree, and I think this is a big part of why the Beatles took off. They were having fun, and goofing around, and being irreverent. That still comes across to the audience today, which is why I think they're still picking up new fans. There are only so many brooding cheesecake shots of some performer I can take before I'm bored out of my skull.

Logged
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »

Quote from: 551
I agree, and I think this is a big part of why the Beatles took off. They were having fun, and goofing around, and being irreverent. That still comes across to the audience today, which is why I think they're still picking up new fans. There are only so many brooding cheesecake shots of some performer I can take before I'm bored out of my skull.


That's one reason I seem to be drawn to the early Beatles more in many ways - they seemed less than happy in the mid- to later days. Even in the rare shots where they are smiling and laughing, it's even more rare when their "eyes are happy" as well, at least that's how it seems to me.
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13488
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

Do you guys and girls think that the arrival of a steady (tho limited) drummer could have played a role in improving so much and getting to sound tidier?
Logged

Kevin

  • That Means a Lot
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5432
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

Quote from: 63
Do you guys and girls think that the arrival of a steady (tho limited) drummer could have played a role in improving so much and getting to sound tidier?

With my limited knowledge I would say that a tight rhythm section isn't that important for a live band. It's in the studio that sloppy drummers/bass players get found out, and why a lot get dumped when recording starts. Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band is a good example. An excellent live band who couldn't understand why they couldn't transplant their sound on to vinyl. The drummer was sacked and all was well. Like Pete Best he was a good mate of the band and was dumped at the producer's insistance. But he seemed to have been no impediment to their success as a live act.
I'm not saying you can get by with a crap drummer, or that a good drummer doesn't help, but I don't think it's any kind of vital ingrediant.
Logged
don't follow leaders

Bill Harry

  • Special Member
  • Getting Better
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 482
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 09:15:09 AM »

Howie Casey & the Seniors were the first Liverpol band to go to Hamburg. When Bruno Koschmider requested another Liverpool band Alan asked Rory Storm & the Hurricanes, but they'd been booked for Butlins. Then he turned to Gerry & the Pacemakers and they wouldn't go because Gerry wouldn't turn professional. Almost in desperation, he decided to send the Beatles. When Howie Casey heard about it he wrote to Alan saying that if they sent such a lousy band along, then it would ruin it for the rest of the groups. When the Beatles arrived they were sent to a seedy little former strip club the Indra, further along the Grosse Freiheit. At the Kaiserkeller, the Seniors were raving it up, particularly with superb showman Derry Wilkie. Koschmider told the Beatles to 'mach shau' like Derry. When he put them on the Kaiserkeller, he made the groups juggle about to form a third outfit instead of using the jukebox between breaks. He got Stuart Sutcliffe to play with Howie. Howie would never accept a bad musician, so Stuart must have been okay. Ricky Richards, who was there with the Jets, said Stuart was good and mesmerising on stage, one of his songs was the highlight of the act. Ricky, who died a couple of years ago, said that you can get away with a bad lead or rhythm guitarist - but not a bass, a bass sound is so important that a bad bass player would ruin the sound. This was the period when the Beatles had their 'baptism of fire' and when Pete Best developed the 'atom beat.'
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 11:26:57 AM »

Hi Bill -

Do you think there is any old footage or sound of Howie and the Seniors playing?
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bill Harry

  • Special Member
  • Getting Better
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 482
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

I don't think so, but I'll ask Howie. In the meantime, if you would like to know more about howie, here's what I've written, although it's quite long:

CASEY, HOWIE. A Liverpool musician who had learned to play sax while in the army. He formed Derry & the Seniors in November 1959. The line-up comprised Howie (saxophone), Derry Wilkie (vocals), Jeff Wallington (drums), Billy Hughes (rhythm/vocals). Brian Griffiths (lead) and Phil Whitehead (bass).
     They appeared regularly around Merseyside at venues such as Blair Hall, Wilson Hall and the Jacaranda. Because of the Jacaranda connection, clubowner Allan Williams booked them for the Liverpool Stadium Show with Gene Vincent on Tuesday 3 May 1960.
     Williams had staged the event with London impresario Larry Parnes and the bill featured a number of Liverpool groups. Parnes was impressed and asked Williams to arrange an audition as he was seeking bands to back his various artists, such as Billy Fury, Johnny Gentle and Duffy Power.
     The Silver Beetles were also present at the audition, which took place on Tuesday 10 May at the Wyvern Social Club in Seel Street. When Casey was later asked what he thought of them, he said:
Logged

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »

Quote from: 568
Hi Bill -

Do you think there is any old footage or sound of Howie and the Seniors playing?


Very cool! What is Howie doing nowadays? We'd love a sax player in my group in San Antonio!
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1860
Re: The Summer Of 1960
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

Quote from: 1062
I don't think so, but I'll ask Howie. In the meantime, if you would like to know more about howie, here's what I've written, although it's quite long:

CASEY, HOWIE. A Liverpool musician who had learned to play sax while in the army. He formed Derry & the Seniors in November 1959. The line-up comprised Howie (saxophone), Derry Wilkie (vocals), Jeff Wallington (drums), Billy Hughes (rhythm/vocals). Brian Griffiths (lead) and Phil Whitehead (bass).
     They appeared regularly around Merseyside at venues such as Blair Hall, Wilson Hall and the Jacaranda. Because of the Jacaranda connection, clubowner Allan Williams booked them for the Liverpool Stadium Show with Gene Vincent on Tuesday 3 May 1960.
     Williams had staged the event with London impresario Larry Parnes and the bill featured a number of Liverpool groups. Parnes was impressed and asked Williams to arrange an audition as he was seeking bands to back his various artists, such as Billy Fury, Johnny Gentle and Duffy Power.
     The Silver Beetles were also present at the audition, which took place on Tuesday 10 May at the Wyvern Social Club in Seel Street. When Casey was later asked what he thought of them, he said:
Logged
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
 

Page created in 1.571 seconds with 26 queries.