Solo forums > Paul McCartney

Give Ireland Back To The Irish

(1/6) > >>

BlueMeanie:
Tell  me, is Macca embarassed by this song? It's a long time since I've heard it - I bought the single when it came out - but I remember liking it. It has never appeared on any of his or Wings' numerous best of's, or any live album. I know that Wings used to play it in the early days. Maybe he just decided not to do the political thing?

Any ideas??

Wordno:
I don't think hes embarassed about it at all. I think its a great rock political song, I just don't think its one of Wings best songs. You're right though, Wings did preform that song on their early tours. Paul said it got a very good reaction and people liked it. I just think that Paul knows people won't take any of political songs seriously because all they want to hear is 'Can't buy me love'. Which is rather unfortunate...

raxo:
This is what Paul said ...

"PAUL MCCARTNEY IN HIS OWN WORDS" (Paul Gambaccini)
Part Five THE SINGER,THE SONGS & THE SONGWRITER.

"'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' was the first of your singles in eight years that didn't sell in America and Britain.

Before I did that, I always used to think. God, John's crackers, doing all these political songs. I understand he really feels deeply, you know. So do I. I hate all that Nixon bit, all that Ireland bit, and oppression anywhere. I think our mob do, our generation do hate that and wish it could be changed, but up until the actual time when the paratroopers went in and killed a few people, a bit like Kent State, the moment when it is actually there on the doorstep, I always used to think it's still cool to not say anything about it, because it's not going to sell anyway and no one's gonna be Interested.
            So I tried it, it was Number One in Ireland and, funnily enough, it was Number One in Spain, of all places. I don't think Franco could have understood."

from here: http://wingspan.ru/bookseng/hisown/hisown05.html

P.S. This reminds me of a little topic from 11 months ago now ...

BlueMeanie:

--- Quote from: 297 ---This is what Paul said ...

"PAUL MCCARTNEY IN HIS OWN WORDS" (Paul Gambaccini)
Part Five THE SINGER,THE SONGS & THE SONGWRITER.

"'Give Ireland Back to the Irish' was the first of your singles in eight years that didn't sell in America and Britain.

--- End quote ---

Not true. Back seat of my Car only got to 39 in Britain. In August '71.

raxo:
^That was the interviewer's statement ... but was Back Seat Of My Car released in USA as a single? ??)  ... if not, that could be the reason ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version