Which Beatle book are you reading right now?

Started by McLennon, Jan 19, 2007, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raxo

Quote from: 551[...]Okay, Raxo, you got me to look up "Paperback Writer". It's a spoof, as The End said, a fictional parody of the Beatles, a romp about "What if the Beatles got back together in 1979?" It was written in 1978, in the same general timeframe as The Rutles, when people could make fun of the Fab Four and it was still funny because Lennon's murder hadn't made everyone depressed for the next 25 years.

The book sounds pretty good. Here are some quotes from Amazon:

"Bigger than Jesus! What John really meant, of course, was that the Beatles were simply "taller" than Jesus. ... This in a nutshell captures the tone of the book."

"A loving, biting reimagining of Beatlemania in a manner that I'm sure John would have found hysterical."

And of course, there are the people who seem not to get it. I enjoyed this piece of unintended humor:

"I think it would help if you had some knowledge of The Beatles before reading it, if only to give you a further appreciation of the humour. For example, did you know that Roll over Beethoven was inspired by McCartney trying to teach his English sheepdog some new tricks. "

;D ;D ;D
Thanks for the info, harihead! ...
I knew nothing about this book ... and it's curious because we've been debating here that hipothetical "reunion in 1979" just few days ago!  :)

raxo

Quote from: 544Speaking if bootlegs, how can I go into the bootleg forum part?? Cause it says its locked and I don't know how I can join? bootlegs are my favorite! :D :D
Why don't you try to send a Private Message to The End or Bobber? ;)

Sondra

I recently read Geoff Emerick's book and loved it. Then I started Anthology and got half through it. I was beginning to read the Bob Spitz biography but thought better of it after reading some of the comments here. I do have Ten Years That Shook the World, so maybe I'll get back into that one. Oh, I also read Ringo's Postcards From the Boys. That was a quick and very cute read. But I just ordered Levon Helm's This Wheels on Fire, so the Beatles might have to wait a while.

harihead

Quote from: 216I recently read Geoff Emerick's book and loved it. Then I started Anthology and got half through it. I was beginning to read the Bob Spitz biography but thought better of it after reading some of the comments here.
Good call! I really enjoyed Geoff's book. The "She Loves You" recording was my favorite part-- all those wild girls!  ;D

If you read the beginning of Bob's book, you read the best part (IMHO). He gives a wonderful history of Liverpool and the destruction following the war. 70% of housing destroyed, if I recall; no wonder George's family was on the housing list for so long.

I'm very glad to hear your opinion of Ringo's Postcards From the Boys. I hope I can pick that up sometime; it seems light and sweet. :) Thanks.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

Quote from: 551
I'm very glad to hear your opinion of Ringo's Postcards From the Boys. I hope I can pick that up sometime; it seems light and sweet. :) Thanks.

I just ordered that from Amazon Marketplace for &#163;0.99, brand new!! I'd forgoteen all about it until it was mentioned here.

harihead

Quote from: 483I just ordered that from Amazon Marketplace for &#163;0.99, brand new!!
Eek! Thanks, BlueMeanie! I'm off to Amazon... again!

I'm just finished Simon Leng's excellent book While My Guitar Gently Weeps: The Music of George Harrison. Wow! Finally someone has done an insightful and satisfying exploration of George's life. This is the kind of book I wish had been available when George died. I intend to read it again, listening to every song as I go through (I was too impatient this time to do that).

Unlike some others  ::), Leng did thorough research of his subject. He knows George's music inside and out, and can place it appropriately into the musical context of what was going on at the time. Clearly Leng's interests include all music, and he supplements his knowledge with numerous interviews with Harrison's musical buddies. What's also amazing is that this book is so well written, it made me laugh out loud a few times. Just a delight from cover to cover.

Here's an example of one of his song reviews, in this case, "Simply Shady". Leng does a musical appraisal, and then places the song in the context of George's life and the times:

Quote"Simply Shady" could have been based on a Young rocker, not only because of the slightly ragged, gruff vocals and earthy arrangement, but also because of the decidedly no-frills production. Unfortunately for George, the world was not ready for his reincarnation as Neil Young, and the song was panned...
"Simply Shady" neatly shatters the "Beatle George" image and reveals the uncomfortable truths of life. Too much drink and failed relationships are hardly uncommon experiences but, for fans readying their Sgt. Pepper costumes for the Dark Horse tour, it was all too much.
I love this book so much I plan to start a thread on it soon. It might have to wait a few weeks until my schedule loosens up, but I look forward to sharing other excerpts and discussing it with you all. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kate

I just started reading "The Beatles Songbook I". It's only the lyrics of the songs with some remarks at the side. I find it interesting to read the songs  ;D lots of short stories, but makes a change to the listening experience.  :)

Indica

None at the mo - Just dipping into Revolution In The Head from time to time.
Just flick through the pages and reading up on songs I'm enjoying at the moment.

Macdonald highlighted a 'bass flourish' during the song 'The Word' at approx 1:15 .. so I went and listened to one speaker ... and smiled when I heard what he was describing .... my girlfriend just shakes her head from time to time  :B
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

harihead

Quote from: 158Macdonald highlighted a 'bass flourish' during the song 'The Word' at approx 1:15 .. so I went and listened to one speaker ... and smiled when I heard what he was describing ....
Indica, I'm just as bad. *high fives you*  :D

McLennon

Quote from: 551

I have that book! I havn't read it yet!
There are 7 levels!

Hello Goodbye

I've been reading through The Beatles: Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn recently while listening to my Beatles collection on my iPod.
I can stay till it's time to go

Mr. Kite

I just started reading "The Longest Cocktail Party"  it's about Apple and how it started and collapsed written by Richard Dilello  "The House Hippie" who was there from beginning to end.  It's good so far Derek Taylor was his boss and right know he's talking about when Apple released "Two Virgins" and the infamous cover.
[size=14][size=14]-Mr. Kite![/size][size=14]<br />'ving been some days in preparation a splendid time is guaranteed for all![/size][/size]<br />

mr kite

Nice LENNON picture MR. KITE. ;D

Im reading SHOUT by PHILIP NORMAN again ,the first time i read i was 18 years old when it came out !
Still a definative BEATLES book and a joy to read.  
Wallflower Has Blossomed

raxo

mr kite

Ive been reading LENNON LEGEND ,AN ILLISTRATED LIFE OF JOHN LENNON, and you get an exact replica of the lyrics of LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS by courtsey of d.. opps
sony/atv tunes llc
fastenating   ;)
Wallflower Has Blossomed