A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Thank you!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For those who like Simon and Garfunkel...  (Read 3027 times)

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: For those who like Simon and Garfunkel...
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 01:21:24 AM »

I learned 3 interesting things this weekend, on songfacts.com! They are all about Simon and Garfunkel.

-"The Sound of Silence" took 6 months to write. Paul Simon wrote about a line a day.
-The crashing drum effect heard in "The Boxer" was achieved by setting up a drumkit and some microphones in an elevator. Yes, an ELEVATOR.

And most interesting of all...

Have you ever heard of Saint Cecilia? Well, she is the patron saint of musicians. I read a very interesting theory saying that the song "Cecilia" is written about her. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. We already know that Paul Simon wrote the song to fill up space on the album. Perhaps the song was a prayer to St. Cecilia because he had writer's block. Think about it: The chorus is telling her to come home, he wants his inspiration back. "Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia/I got up to wash my face/When I come back to bed/Someones taken my place"- making love= writing songs, and he's expressing how other artists took his place in the music world. "Jubilation, she loves me again/I fall on the floor and I laughing" because he wrote a whole song, this must mean that St. Cecilia is smiling on him!

Anyways, just thought I'd post that 'cause I thought it was really neat. Make of it what you will.

^^^I hate her
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
GEMM is your best source for impossible-to-find !

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • Sun King
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 04:35:00 AM »

She wasn't so bad.
I can stay till it's time to go

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:31 AM »

She wasn't so bad.

Here's the song "Cecilia!" Enjoy!

Simon & Garfunkel - Cecilia
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 26 queries.