A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE READ OUR FORUM RULES HERE

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Paul's mailbox  (Read 11416 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Paul's mailbox
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

Well, although I'm sure you have seen every JM picture ever :) , I wanted to drop this off for you because I like this pic.  

It's from a tribute article to Jimmy McCulloch.  It's in Spanish, but from what I can understand (from the first paragraph, anyway), it seems very nice!  http://www.rockstyle.es/?p=94

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:59 AM »

Thanks for the link, I'd never seen that tribute before. Thank goodness for Spanish to English translation!

YIELDING TRIBUTE TO THE EAGLE THAT BROKE THE WINGS In the world of the music, when we speak of young geniuses that died prematurely always they come us to the mind the same names, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison or Bolan. Unfortunately, these they are not the only musicians that left us prematurely. Many geniuses exist that run the danger to fall in the oversight, geniuses as the Scottish guitarist Jimmy McCulloch. In the world of the music, when we speak of young geniuses that died prematurely always they come us to the mind the same names, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison or Bolan.

Unfortunately, these they are not the only musicians that left us prematurely. Many geniuses exist that run the danger to fall in the oversight by not to have reached in their moment the stardom or to have worked next to other large figures but always in secondary roles. Here, in it WAS OF FOCUS, we are going to present you the figure of one of these geniuses forgot to yield him the tribute that deserves. Today we will recall the Scottish guitarist Jimmy McCulloch. Jimmy McCulloch was born in Glasgow June 4, 1953 and died in London barely 26 years later. In that time was participate in one of the most successful singles of all the decade of the 60, touched in the best and more forgot band of Scottish worship and, above all, was guitarist of the band of one of the largest musicians, Paul MCartney, during the most brilliant epoch of the path of the Wings, the band of the exBeatle. But all he has a beginning and the apparition of McCulloch in the musical panorama he is produced with the launch of the single "Something in the air" of Thunderclap Newman. Number one indisputable to ends of the 60 and one of the songs that always they appear in any collection of successes of the decade. ¿What does not sound you?. Expects some seconds and if it you have not heard never sure that later will not be the last one. Thunderclap Newman arises when Even Townshend, guitar of the Who, decides to produce a single for John Speddy Keen. Keen, old roadie of the Who, after teaching him its songs to Townshend, convinces him to record a theme. For it surrounds by the keyboardist Newman, of the own one Townshend to the low one and of a youth from 15 years to the guitar, Jimmy McCulloch, while the own Keen takes charge of the voices and the battery. The theme would be "Something in the air" and would be published under the name of Thunderclap Newman. What in principle an experiment seems, given the enormous success that reaches the single, number 1 in the lists during three weeks, gives of itself to the publication of the first and last one LP of the band, Hollywood Dreams.

Unfortunately the remainder of songs does not manage to enter the lists and the band is dissolved. McCulloch begins friendship with the Who and participates in some of the disks alone of its members, like the Whistle Rymes of John Entwistle, but its following step would be to take the position of guitarist in the band Stone the Crows, ignoring the gossip of damned band and without luck that dragged with himself the Scottish band. STONE THE CROWS was in its worse moment in the year 1972. To the march of the bassist and singer James Dewar unites the tragic death of the guitarist Them Harvey after being electrocuted in the setting during an action. Maggie Bell, leader and singer of the band, decides to throw for alante as be and doing its the name of the group to send to all to the carajo (Stone the Crows comes to signify something as well as to go you all to the crap) and continues doing music. For it hires its compatriot McCulloch to record the album "Ontinous Performance" in 1973. But this album has scarce success, for which the band is dissolved little time later undertaking Bell its career alone. But the effort would not be in vain because a musician needed of a guitarist had noticed the abilities of Johnny.

We speak of sir Paul McCartney. After leaving the Beatles McCartney began to record disks alone, forming later the Wings next to its woman and Denny Laine. After some hesitant beginnings reaches at last the success with the song for the movie of James Bond "Live or let Die" and the album Band on the run, that returns to the first positions and to the present time. But in those moments Lane and the McCartney lack exactly of a band with the one that to confront the tour that prepared. The entrance of McCulloch is carried out in 1974, after the publication of Band on the run. First McCartney utilizes him as guitar for the album McGear, of the brother of Paul, Mike McGear. It convinced of the abilities of that kid of 21 years, McCulloch accompanies to the Wings to the city of Nashville to practice the themes of the tour. In Nashville McCartney practices all the themes and decides to record them to listen them later and to be able to correct errors. In those sessions they practice the themes of Edict on the run and the remainder of the repertoire of McCartney but also they record the first single of the Wings already with McCulloch as member, "Junior´s Farm". With the Wings records two albums, Venus and Mars and Wings at the Speed of Sound, that contain successes of McCartney as "Listen to what the man said", "Silly love songs" or "Let Em in".

Besides complete a world tour that would be engraved later in a triple LP. McCartney returns to the summit and to its side is McCulloch to the guitar. But McCulloch does not endure well the pressure of the stardom and begins to fall in the world of the drug. Its addiction causes their exit of the Wings, that with their march they lost also their position of privilege in the lists. After the Wings McCulloch is involved with them reconstructed Small Faces but does not come record with them. In the end, dies of overdose in its flat of London before finalizing what was going to be its first disk alone. Thunderclap newman, the Stone the Crow and above all McCartney and the Wings enjoyed the abilities as the guitarist of McCulloch not without before leave us a handful of disks that we can also enjoy. To say good-bye to Jimmy a composed song by him for the album of the Wings Venus and Mars, Medicate Jar, paradoxically a song against the abuse of the drugs.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »

^  Haha, glad to know that my translation of the first paragraph wasn't off the mark!

I was browsing through BeatleBay (an intense place, I tell you), and I spotted this:  http://www.beatlebay.com/concert_items.htm

Scroll down to: Item CI005: 1976 WINGS Over America Actual Concert Photographs from Boston - May 22 1976 !!!.  This is a scrapbook that was put together right after the 1976 Boston Garden WINGS concert. There are 21 actual b/w photographs from the show placed into this 14 page scrapbook!!!  Condition is Excellent.   All photos are A rare item to find!!!  There are also several 1976 Paul Postcards included in the scrapbook section of the book.  Price $275.

The scrapbook is pricey for sure, but I think it features Jimmy so I thought you'd enjoy a peek in it. ;)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 03:31:13 PM »

Thanks for the link. There are a couple of shots of Jimmy in that scrapbook but sadly it's mostly of Paul which of course isn't surprising.

The Boston concert is infamous for being the show that Wings didn't perform Soily as the 2nd encore because Jimmy didn't want to come back out on stage, I think the sound must of p*ssed him off or something.

Of course Paul wasn't too pleased with his lead guitarist so Paul went backstage, exchanged a few F bombs with Jimmy and (rumored) a few blows as well.

Here's Paul's sugar coated version of the event.

2YTJCdJ5rog

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

^  Wow, I've heard of this negative turn of events but had no idea it was the concert mentioned in the scrapbook.  Really interesting tidbit, though!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

^ Quite interesting, I agree.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »

Wanna chat tonight, Paul????  Just check and see when I'm on the web.............. ;)

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 08:24:33 PM »

Hello.  Been awhile, hasn't it?  :)
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »

Yes it has  :P how have you been?

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »

I've been fine.  :) How 'bout you? Did you do anything special for St. Patty's day?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »

I just went to class this morning and I have class at 6 so no not really...how about you?

That's good that you've been doing well (:

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »

Ah, class at 6? That's too early for me.  :o I went to school, got pinched cause I didn't wear green.
 Ah well. Must remember next year!!  :P

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

:P I didn't wear green and I didn't get pinched yesterday!

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

Some people are the lucky ones.  ;D

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »

;D

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 01:47:57 AM »

So what other Wings stuff did you get on eBay?  CS sounds great, though.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 03:04:40 AM »

Here's the stuff that I'm bidding on right now...the CS ones end tomorrow with the other ones end in a couple of days.

^ I already have the Water Wings one but it's a bit torn so I thought I might as well get another copy just in case something happens to mine.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »

Wow, good luck on your bidding!  I don't see the older CS's on eBay that often (or I just don't look hard enough), just usually the newer ones with the color printing.  Are you just collecting CS's from Jimmy's Wings years?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »

Quote from: 1620
Wow, good luck on your bidding!  I don't see the older CS's on eBay that often (or I just don't look hard enough), just usually the newer ones with the color printing.  Are you just collecting CS's from Jimmy's Wings years?

Yes. I'm just collecting Wings Fun Club/CS from Jimmy's Wings years. Although I'm not sure if the Oct/Nov 1977 issue of CS has any Jimmy in it since it was after he left the band. The one that has Mull on the front, just barely mentions Jimmy with a paragraph or two on his exit.

I don't see the older ones on there that often either. I was really shocked when I saw the ones I wanted. I'm really surprised that I'm the only one that has bid for them so far. Usually there will be a couple of bidders but there's only a few more hours left and it's $10 an issue so not bad at all!

What's your Wings Paul postcard looklike? I've seen a couple on ebay  :)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

Well due to some last minute bidding, I only came up with this CS and I was lucky as heck to win it. I outbid the other bidder by a matter of a few seconds. I didn't win the Aug 1976 FC as I was outbid at the last second.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Page created in 0.827 seconds with 27 queries.